Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I started Reacher thanks to this thread, and while I am enjoying it, I have two observations:

1) all the comments here made it sound like this was an episodic show, when it is very much a serialized show.

I actually thought Reacher was episodic from reading this thread too, it also happened with The Last Kingdom. I think the comparisons like "it's 80s/90s show but X" are part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's wild how quickly they forgot that not being expensive, annoying to use, and crammed with ads and upcharges like cable was what let Netflix take off back when it was good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

As to what happened in 2018, my guess is FAST. Turns out a chunk of people don't actually care all that much what they watch, they just want to have the burden of choice removed for background noise. Why pay $80 /month to watch Star Trek:TNG reruns on BBCA while you are doom scrolling when you can just turn on PlutoTV for free?

Tiktok happened is certainly part of it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mystes posted:

I wonder how many people who are using tiktok were subscribed to linear tv services recently even if they are old enough to have potentially done that?

I hear about tiktok trash more from olds lately than anything else. Anecdotal, I guess, but I don't think it's all kids.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MarcusSA posted:

Overall not positive.

I’ve seen a few episodes and it’s just too over the top.

It’s Dallas for the 2020s

One episode was enough for me, "Dallas for the 2020s" is great.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pong came out 51 years ago and is also still good relative to its age.

Anyway, Slow Horses is so good. Are the books?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

So Amazon raises prices of Prime video with this dumb no-ad tier but then turns around and gets rid of hundreds of MGM and Prime Video employees.

This same strategy worked great for the video game industry money ghouls last year.

Definitely seems sustainable long-term.

E: speaking of definitely sustainable long-term:

https://twitter.com/sagaftranews/status/1744789298543829066?t=XyoyyKqBG95pvGj5Ii2-iA&s=19

Didn't they just strike for 5 months to stop exactly this?

IRQ fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 10, 2024

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Open Source Idiom posted:

More cost cutting at Castle Zaslav. Ten episode seasons are becoming eight (The Last Of Us, House Of The Dragon), and eight episode seasons are now becoming six.

The 6 episode seasons are usually only like 60-90 minutes at most off of where feature films have bloated to. They're converging to be the worst of both worlds.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You never know, he definitely has the clout to get it made if he decided to make it a priority. But yeah, it ended well enough after a great 3 seasons even if it doesn't.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The IT Crowd was barely even 10 years ago, that's not old. You have to go back to like the 70s or 80s for the kind of dry humor some Americans don't get. That show was just a less lovely BBT.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And run until late 2013.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vintersorg posted:

???

It ran for a few years with only 6 episodes a season then had a special in 2013.

Fair enough, but I don't see how it changes the point.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Seinfeld's actual standup was never particularly amazing even back when the show was on.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I think the common denominator here is "conservatives are stupid"

This is so deeply dead stupid I just don't think they paid any attention at all to what was going on on screen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azhais posted:

Bring back Kings

This, but only if they can get the supporting cast back. I want more Macaulay Culkin being a weird little loving freak and Ian McShane.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

My Disney exec pro move would be remaking The Simpsons in live action, but worse.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Timby posted:

It's currently in season 35, right? If we go 35 years from the premiere, Homer would be dead from liver cirrhosis, Marge is probably in assisted living, Bart is probably a techbro entrepreneur if he isn't in federal prison, Lisa is President of the United States and Maggie is a closeted serial killer working a white-collar office job (think Patrick Bateman).

Bart would be extremely into crypto.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Agree. It’s really mean.

This and having 3 other characters acting like Reacher really didn't work for me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

We had a cover of it by some band kids at mine in 2001. It was inescapable if you were born in the usa.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Khanstant posted:

The second season is just boomer bait avengers but the first season was really fun and perfectly walked the very thin line between it just being what you expect, and what is as with a hilariously competent hulk Sherlock Holmes rolling through a town and steamrolling a bunch of hateable jerks.

S1 seemed to be aware of how ridiculous Reacher is, while s2 just took itself more and more seriously with, and got worse with, each episode. Like, it's clear they felt like they needed to have a big blowout gunfight basically every episode this time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MarcusSA posted:

Not all work is good work

All giant media corporations are bad corporations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

While season 1 definitely had problems I never really thought that Master Chief doing stuff outside of armor was part of it.

I thought he couldn't take it off Darth Vader style, but I would kind of expect that to be dropped anyway for a tv series.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Data Graham posted:

Is there some reason why some people are so invested in redoing what was already near-perfect, just "make it not a cartoon"?

No, I think that's it, it's a safe bet to them. At least they've proved they might be able to do it. I enjoyed the One Piece adaptation they did. I didn't see the original, but it didn't seem like people that had hated it.

On the other hand, basically everyone except Sokka can bend, which sounds fantastically expensive and makes me think they'll tone it way down.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Say what you will about the Cowboy Bebop adaptation, but I love it. Because I finally went and watched the original after I saw 1 episode, and everyone said it was total poo poo.

And the original is exactly as good as people were saying for 20 years or whatever, oops.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm not sure if I've ever actually seen Road House.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr. Daniel Jackson had like 3 movies and a whole tv show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fighting alien overlords is exactly like fighting the 18th century British colonial forces. With AKs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EricBauman posted:

Jack Ryan is also a history professor, but only the Harrison Ford version, not the four others

Ford was the only good Jack Ryan anyway. Also, I think that's accurate to the books for like Patriot Games era at least.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, and Ramius says his books are terrible, saying his conclusions are all wrong.

Baldwin was a good Jack Ryan, too, and the most "book accurate", if that part matters to you at all. Even if he's apparently bad at writing his own books. Red October is a great movie.

Baldwin wasn't bad, that's true.

Matt Damon and the doofus from the office are just so bad, though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EricBauman posted:

lol I think you mean Ben Affleck?

Lol I can't tell them apart apparently, I know they don't even look the same. One of them was Batman too, and I genuinely couldn't tell you which.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tom Clancy novels got progressively more insane as they went on. Eventually, Jack Ryan just gets to be president because Japan 9/11s the capitol building.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Japan is like full on attacking the US because their economy imploded, and got nukes. I forget how all that was the US's fault. That book was bananas.

Actually that all got resolved before the 9/11ing at the end of the book, so maybe you're right.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

Watching the first episode of Masters of the Air and the show definitely has a problem of everyone dressing exactly the same, wearing flight helmets and masks while talking over radios.

I think they made a mistake not showing any of the training stuff that BoB did. That was really valuable in getting to know and differentiate all the characters before they got thrown into a bunch of hectic action.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shageletic posted:

Who was he punching down on? What a poo poo dude.

Is he still aggressively against non rich people having housing at all?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

A British drunk history does sound like it would bring the colonialism back out in people. I didn't love the American one though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

His name is Dr. John Chief, he didn't spend 4 years in medical school to be called Mr. Chief.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If only there were someone in power for years with a majority in both houses of congress with the power to prevent that in several ways.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

That’s not a problem that will be fixed by not voting or not voting for Biden. Do something about that after this election.

Every single election it's the same thing. Only this time, the dem is currently funding a genocide. Which he can just do with no oversight, but student loans? Well, the senate parliamentarian said no, so their hands are tied.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

Merging streaming services doesn't mean the companies are merging.

I have an idea of what a merged CBS and NBC service could be called.

Hulu.

Hold on a minute, how do you expect to run a streaming service without a + in the name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jerusalem posted:

Man, I heard so much praise for Reacher that I watched it, and while the 1st season was dumb fun that second season REALLY dug deep into weirdo Boomer energy in an unpleasant way. The repeat "joke" of running over/assaulting that drug dealer and taunting him was bad enough, but the episode where they torture and threaten the life of a guy who thinks he is helping shelter a domestic abuse victim, force him to give her up, then make fun of him to his face, was unbelievably gross.

That seems to be the consensus on Reacher around here. What do you even call revenge fantasy directed at everything? Boomer energy works, I guess.