Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mu Zeta posted:

For All Mankind is a backdoor prequel to BSG

So does that mean For All Mankind happened on Earth like millions of years ago, then people colonized 12 worlds, then BSG happened, then the stupid BSG finale showed them arriving 150000 years ago on Earth, and then we are almost but not exactly repeating the same history with the 1960s space program?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Where are the muscles

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The worst thing is that a chase between the penguin and the batmobile should be over in like 5 seconds. You mean the multi-billion dollar war machine can’t outrun a normal car?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I dunno.

Did anyone watch the Chinese version?

Yeah, I also started reading the book halfway through the season. They are both a little dry, and the TV series is a bit slow (THIRTY episodes), but it was a good and mostly faithful adaptation of the book. (Totally softened the Cultural Revolution parts, though)

That being said, I had quite a few issues with the first two books I read, and I don't think Netflix will make them any better...

(Book spoilers) My most major issue is that the countdown is a red herring and only intended to make the reader think something is happening at the end, and in the second book the Earth's armed forces did the worst blunder since some trojans got a nice gift

ymgve fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 10, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

zoux posted:

Lotta great ideas and concepts, but doesn’t really hang together. Also I feel you on the translation thing, I could always tell I was reading a translation of a book. In good translations you kind of forget that after a bit. I’m sure they sound cool in Chinese but ‘Wallfacers” and “Swordholder” sound stupid in English. There were other things like that but that’s the one I remember off the top of my head. And there’s a bit too much magical realism for a book that deals with such complex hard science manic poetry dream waifu tulpa??? How’d they deal with that in the TV show?. I will say most of my problems didn’t arise until book two, when they changed translators and it was obviously worse. Never read #3

The Chinese live action TV show only covers book 1. There is a cartoon which covers more, but I haven't seen that one. And yeah, the books can be described as "good ideas, mediocre execution"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I'd encourage ya to check the US one out, as imo it's way, way better, for the reasons you listed. Having the cast be entirely reality tv people is great, because as I'd mentioned you have people famous for winning survivor going up against a small army of Bravo Housewives. It just heightens the already silly premise.

& Claudia is ok, but I'm telling ya Alan Cumming is a tier onto himself. Brings a gravitas the show doesn't deserve but totally makes it.

Would this have the same impact if one doesn’t recognize a single US reality show star?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

D-Pad posted:

So Peacock released Three Body which was the chinese TV series based on the Three Body Problem as a gently caress you to Netflix. It's got 30 episodes. The first one was good so might be worth watching the rest. I believe it covers the whole trilogy while this first Netflix season is just the first book.

No, it’s just the first book. It’s incredibly slow at times.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

theblackw0lf posted:

For a show that’s getting mixed reception online, it sure seems really popular with the general public.

https://x.com/THR/status/1757494891796701279?s=20

In contrast, I've only seen people on this forum gush about Mr and Mrs Smith, otherwise the reception has been lukewarm

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I thought it was about the Believe it or not! dude

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Pan Dulce posted:

The Traitors was SO good this season. If you're a competitive reality show fan, you should check it out. I don't know anything about who the players are, just that they come from different reality shows that I haven't watched (except DWTS and RPDR) but it was still amazing!

which country's version of The Traitors are you talking about?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It's fun trying to create scenarios where something similar could plausibly happen, though. Like, most modern phones auto-decode QR codes in camera mode, so you could in theory make a malicious QR code that exploits a badly written decoder, and infect someone that's just sweeping over the code, not even taking a photo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
they made the same rokos basilisk joke and had to get married by law

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

kalel posted:

that's a bit of a relief. I'll keep watching because it seems like it could show off some cool sci-fi stuff

It is (in my opinion) dumb scifi stuff, but it is all scifi stuff, no supernatural stuff or gods.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Aphex- posted:

I don't recall them saying every particle accelerator is malfunctioning in the same exact way. They said that every single one is producing completely gibberish and nonsense results with no pattern.

Which is also no reason for shutting them down and giving up. Some of the biggest discoveries in science has been made when someone said "this doesn't add up"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

MarcusSA posted:

Well afaik in the book (haven’t seen the show yet) it’s driving scientists insane and to suicide.

yes it was still stupid in the book

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I prefer a show drop all at once because that means less chance they start dicking around with release schedules in countries that aren't the US

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Rageaholic posted:

Watching the first episode of Conan O'Brien Must Go and they got Werner Herzog to narrate the opening, hell yeah

e: So far this is just like his old remotes, I'm so happy

it's so awkward watching him interact with everyone in norway because we're a society of mostly introverts

also "sex before coffee" is not an expression in norway and seems to come from a single street interview instagram where someone interviewed a few danish women, and someone else turned into a book about "dating in scandinavia"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I am so happy that the guy that introduced me to The Good Place and watched part of season 1 with me managed to not spoil it.