Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah, but early on it seemed like its whole deal was "it's a YouTube cooking show but takes place in a fantasy dungeon" where the majority of the episode was about discussing the ingredients, ecology, and the way they cook and I thought that was very fun. After a while it felt like it was becoming a standard fantasy adventure anime but they'd just arbitrarily have a scene where they ate food and I wasn't into that nearly as much.

I've been told that the manga eventually gets back to being a cooking show though.

It's funny because I dropped Delicious In Dungeon after episode 1 because the idea of a cooking show about things that aren't real felt really boring. I liked the characters and the setting but I couldn't be bothered with the conceit. I didn't mind the idea of a BIT of cooking but it so utterly enveloped the first episode that I thought "okay this isn't for me"

You saying this has made me want have another try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Stegosnaurlax posted:

someone adapted it into a sequel and it loving sucked.

Buddy that's exactly what that poster is saying, why would you think they didn't know there was a sequel??

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

swickles posted:

Hooray, an HBO show that we really like is actually moving on. After Gay Pirates and Milky Robots, I was worried that we kept picking stuff that gets canceled for some unfathomable reason. At least Doom Patrol got 4 seasons and an ending.

Milky robots?
With Our Flag Means Death I was so disappointed with series 2 it felt like it was the right thing to do when they cancelled it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Not only am I blown away by baby reindeer but (and I mentioned this in the UKTV thread) it's wild to me how loving everyone here is talking about it.
Passing by some middle aged guys digging up the road and they're discussing it, 18 year olds I work with talking about it, my parents mentioning it to me
It's just everywhere

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

shirunei posted:

Why is this dude ashamed of dating a trans woman in Baby Reindeer? Also, it seems like he is pretending to be a trans man unless I'm not understanding the dialogue. Don't really get what they are going for there, but I'm only two episodes in.

Because it's sorta gay
It does go into that

I don't know why you think he's pretending to be a trans man though, you've totally got the wrong end of the stick there

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

I think the perfect couple would be this woman and Paul T. Goldman

Who is that?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah I thought it was meant to be a dramatic but humorous story about his stalker, and it started that way, but it takes a dark loving turn in episode 4 that explains some things. I got through episode 5 last night and it really hit me hard.

Paul T Goldman is a much more fun crazy person story.

I mean even from episode 1 it's never really humorous other than in a dark comedy kinda way

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Honestly the stalker is so annoying, I’d tell her to gently caress off immediately

The show really is about why he can't do that

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

It's how my dad watches TV and movies. If he can't "root for" anyone, he hates it. He also hates any TV show or movie that doesn't have a happy ending.

And as a matter of fact, he's a 74 year old grandfather, so that checks out. But he's always been that way. Hates Goodfellas because he doesn't "like" anyone in it. I've always adjusted my recommendations to him accordingly.

This attitude always feels really American to me, UK TV is absolutely packed with people who you're meant to look down on rather than empathise with.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

zoux posted:

Lol that attitude feels really British to me

Yea it is, not saying it's a good thing but it's funny to me how media landscapes shape what's around and how people relate to what they see.

thrawn527 posted:

Stephen Fry has commented on this before, and the example he gives from Animal House is perfect. (It's a short video, about 4 minutes.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k2AbqTBxao

is there a summary written? I cannot watch a video.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

You know the scene in Animal House where Belushi's character is coming down the stairs and sees a folk singer playing the guitar? And he grabs the guitar and smashes it? And then wags his eyebrows? A British comedian would want to play the folk singer.

American comedians always want to be smart, non-stop quip machines. British comedians are always looked down on, and are down trodden losers.

Yea that make sense to me.
It definitely extends beyond comedy though

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oasx posted:

I don’t think it’s an American vs. British thing, British characters are often a lot more flawed, but that doesn’t stop the protagonist from being likable.
Dave Lister on Red Dwarf is a bum, and ultimately very flawed, but beneath all that he is essentially a good person, you could even argue that he is heroic.

Bottom
The Young Ones
Even things from much earlier like the Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin or Porridge or Rising Damp or all sorts of things are all about "Look at how poo poo these people are".
Lister is an Everyman Hero in his way, pretty different from what you'd usually get.

Always Sunny is one of the few US shows I think that follows our traditions of comedy rather than US ones.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I like the good place but I hated how narrow their perception of the afterlife was. They essentially made heaven really boring and said "people would rather cease to exist". gently caress that! What a horrible message.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Did you miss the part where People were in heaven for multiple jeremy bearimies? After enough time, you're going to experience everything you can and be done. It's not that heaven is boring, it's that they already did everything they could do.

No, I didn't.
I don't think there's such a thing as doing everything. The afterlife is just "here, but with some imagination powers" it feels like, that's what I don't like. I'm kinda seeing it as a science fiction concept and I don't feel like they went far enough with it. And obviously you kinda CAN'T but that didn't matter until the way they did the ending.

Oasx posted:

The point is that the human mind isn't evolved to handle the afterlife as it is often described. You can read every book, watch every tv show, play every game a trillion times, and you will still have the rest of eternity left.

Again that's just really narrow. I don't like the perception of the afterlife as they have it, it's just a really blah interpretation.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mulva posted:

Why the hell not, you are dead. You don't have biology, and psychology in human terms is based on absolutes that heaven doesn't work on. You could just craft one perfect moment and live in it forever, it's functionally the same thing as the solution they came up with. Done is done, why is the done where you don't exist better than the done where you are eternally happy? Both are artificial constructs. Both have no intrinsic meaning. One exists to make a point about living, but the dead are definitionally not living. Why should they hold themselves to standards on how to live life that no longer apply?

This is kinda what I'm getting at just generally. The rules are different now, why are you still being humans?
Okay yes it's because without it there's no show but that's still a question you've created yourselves by making this show in the first place

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Arist posted:

It's one thing to be smug, it's another thing to be smug and this incredibly wrong.

e: this feels like a refusal to admit you just have a philosophical disagreement with the show and trying to rationalize it away

I totally agree with Mulva

There's shitloads of sci fi that deals with stuff that's hard to conceive and that's what I expected from the good place when it went high concept like this.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I guess this blows my mind because I feel like there's barely anything that's actually good. Loads and loads of new content but never anything that really smashes it out of the park.
Frieren was probably the last thing

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Khanstant posted:

I look forward to a few shows at a time but mostly have whatever old poo poo on in the background. New stuff is cool but increasingly comes in two flavours: Blazingly short bursts of goodness followed by it probably being cancelled in under X seasons which don't even amount to one proper season.

The processes of making good things and making profitable things have never been more at odds, and they were always mortal enemies to begin with. I appreciate we get as much good as we do because it's an uphill battle to do so.

I feel like you're missing whatever your second flavour here is?

For me a lot of modern shows (and I know this is on purpose) only care about moments and I'm constantly finding myself going "but how did X happen, why did Y happen" and etc

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shageletic posted:

you been watching Dungeon Meshi?

tho Frieren never really hit for me, that show def did.

I don't like the gimmick of dungeon meshi. I've had a try, but "let's cook things that don't exist and focus on that for most of the episode" is just...weird?

I like the gimmick of Freiren's "we saved the world, now what"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CeeJee posted:

Constellation was in space for maybe 20 minutes. I guess they spent way too much on that ISS set/CGI and had to film the rest of the episodes in a cabin with what was left.

Constellation thought its audience was loving dumb as hell and played out a mystery we all worked out in episode 1 over 7 more episodes