Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
1. bang dream! it's my go!!!!!
2. heavenly delusion
3. skip and loafer
4. buddy daddies
5. yuri is my job!

sorry revenger and yamada-kun, you lost the tiebreaker for 5th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
1. Digimon Ghost Game: Good in all the ways the Adventure reboot wasn't, and it made being pretty MoTW more a feature than a bug to me. Was fun seeing how much they could push the envelope, and they were clearly trying hard to do so.

2. Mashle: Pretty much what I wanted from an adaptation of this, it doesn't do anything crazy but it nailed a lot of good moments from the manga.

3. G-Witch: Not crazy in love with it like some other people, but I don't think it fumbled the ending either. Pretty good entry in the series even if it should have been longer.

4. Synduality: Reminded me of shows like Xabungle or King Gainer where it being a wasteland setting is more a vehicle for light-hearted stuff rather than the opposite. Bandai seem like they're betting on it, so hopefully it becomes a bigger thing.

5. Blue Lock: Watched this with friends which may give it some bias, but it's such a blatantly batshit series I can't justify not giving it a spot.

Honorable Mention: 16bit Sensation: ANOTHER LAYER, which was a fun little look at a specific part of gaming history.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

1. dead mount death play - phantom solitaire :pray:
2. g-witch season 2 - ended up rushed but its still a decent gundam
3. yamada 999 - decent enough romance with good mmo references.
4. undead murder farce - it was great until it became battle royale, then only decent
5. 100 girlfriends - it made me laugh a lot, rolling around in the muck thats me

i didn't watch these but they're probably good and would probably take the top two spots
mygo
pluto

too bad winter continuation shows dont count, they'd sweep this time around.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Since the three shows that would be at the top of my list aren't eligible (Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Apothecary Diaries, Shangri-La Frontier, Sousou no Frieren - Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End), and sticking solely to those shows I completed, my list is:

1. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo 2 - Mobile Suit Gundam The Witch from Mercury
2. SPY×FAMILY Season 2
3. Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi - Campfire Cooking in Another World with my Absurd Skill
4. Edomae Elf - Otaku Elf
5. TRIGUN STAMPEDE

Honorable mention to Hyakushou Kizoku - Noble Farmer

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
1. scott pilgrim takes off
2. skip and loafer
3. vinland saga season 2
4. spy x family season 2
5. tomo chan is a girl

Honorable mention: jujutsu kaisen season 2, buddy daddies (tho the penultimate ep almost ruined the whole show.) Haven't watched but want to: golden kamuy season 4, The boy and the heron, pluto, helck, attack on titan final like for real this time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

1. Bang Dream: My Go
2. Gundam Witch From Mercury
3. Birdie Wing
4. Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and The Genius Young Lady
5. Yuri is My Job

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm here to tell anyone that liked skiploaf or yamada 999 but hasn't watched the other to fix that. Really good romcoms, both.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

1. Scott Pilgrim
2. Witch from Mercury
3. Pluto
4. JJK S2
5. Tomo Chan is a girl

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm not sure I can rank the shows I watched, so here are the top 5 in no particular order:

100 Girlfriends: I haven't laughed this much or this consistently in a long time.
Attack on Titan: The Finalist Season: I was on the edge the entire last entry waiting for it to turn to poo poo and it was amazing the whole way through. Probably would take my top spot if I had to rank them.
Trigun Stampede: I tore through the manga in anticipation and this blew me away with how smartly they managed to remix it. It also looked great.
Vinland Saga, season 2: Pretty much the definition of a slow burn. Probably my second spot.

Toss-up between G-Witch, Oshi no ko, or Suzume to round it out. This did not seem like a particularly fruitful year for my tastes.

Special shout-out to Akiba Maid War for being the best show I missed from the previous year. Next year this spot will probably be occupied by Bang Dream: My Go.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

oh gently caress i forgot about trigun stampede somehow

turns out i did watch a 5th show!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
There was a lot of pretty good stuff this year, but I'll say these two were deserving of being called among the best. #1 would've been a really hard choice if Frieren was eligible for this year.

2. Oshi no Ko
1. MyGO!!!!!

If we're doing shout-outs to great shows we missed last year, Call of the Night was a lot of fun and seemed to slip under the radar.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Honestly this year felt weaker for me than the last few years. There was a lot of variety, but only a handful of things stood out on top for me or felt like "must watch" shows, and a few of those won't qualify for the 2023 AOTY vote.

1. Blue Giant was head and shoulders above the rest of the pack for me. While it's admittedly not the most ambitious type of story, the story that it does tell it does exceptionally well, even when you see certain plot developments and twists coming from a mile away. As someone who has a lot of love and respect for jazz, the music and visuals of the film were all top notch, and really conveyed a unique sense of emotion that can be hard to put into words. I teared up and cried multiple times throughout the film, it truly moved me.

2. BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!! while i suspect this won't get as much attention on top lists outside of niche communities like SA and the like, this show really took a unique approach to the school band/idol/music genre that i think paid off in dividends. Instead of a lot of cliche tropes we see, it focuses on much more dysfunctional that typical characters and has them all interacting with each other to provide some natural drama that doesn't easily get resolved. Various characters have differing motives that makes them interacting with each other a treat to watch. Not to mention there's some good music here, and an excellent use of the 3dCG to do some unique visual storytelling like the POV episode among other interesting shot and scene compositions. I'm really excited for BanG Dream! Ave Mujica, which has been set up to be a direct sequel to this season, to get further payoff for a lot of the side characters in this show as well.

3.Pluto Finally after several years of waiting, Naoki Urusawa's work has finally been adapted into an anime, and it was worth the wait. While i do have some minor nitpicks about the extra compositing ruining a couple of scenes visuals, needing to suspend your disbelief for various chunks of the story, and an ending that wraps up a little too quickly and neatly, overall i really enjoyed the various themes and messages the story tried to convey, about the relationship between machine AI lifeforms and humanity, about what true rights and freedoms are, the consequences of truths and lies, and how hate and revenge tends to only beget more hate and revenge in the future. I do wish that the story explored these themes and messages more thoroughly, as they could be a tad shallow at points, but i think it scratches the surface enough for it to still have some meaningful commentary on the matter.

4.[Oshi No Ko] I really enjoyed the movie that kicked off this show. The attached tv series was okay too :sweatdrop: Jokes aside though, this series was a nice blend of comedy, drama, and intrigue, with the viewer getting a somewhat more in-depth look into various aspects of the Japanese entertainment industry including being an idol, acting, and doing a reality tv-show. It's not really intended to be a major teardown of said industries, which i actually appreciated because there's enough cynical media that does a good job of those things, wheras this is just trying to tell a compelling narrative while giving some commentary on the industry and is willing to point out the good aspects of it as well.

5.The 100 Girlfriends who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You is just a very fun, sincere parody of the harem romance genre, and while most of the time it's content with being comedy and fanservice focused, it will give time to more serious moments and themes for various characters, and not just come across as cheap. One thing that helps set this series apart is that the MC Aijou Rentarou is actually a really likeable character with various quirks of his own, and that the various girlfriends aren't just one and done characters, they get more growth and interact with each other as time goes on, and it makes you root for the whole Rentarou Family dynamic to work out.

A couple of Honorable Mentions:

Heavenly Delusion: A very well produced future sci-fi/post apocalyptic world story with a lot of intriguing mystery elements as we weave two separate story narratives together over the course of time. While i enjoyed it a lot watching from week to week, I found myself cooling on it quite a bit after the ending, in part because it's an incomplete adaptation of an ongoing manga, so various plot threads just don't get resolved, and in part because where the tv series ended at, it kind of left a really bad taste in my mouth. Content Warning: Rape After Kiruko reunites with the man they were searching for Robin, he confines them and rapes them repeatedly over a 2 day period while inflicting a bunch of psychological harm to them. After Kiruko's traveling companion Maru comes and rescues them, they are implored to let Robin live and just leave him there. All of that works well enough, as frustrating as it might be for the viewer and for Maru, due to Kiruko's past connections with Robin and not wanting to let Maru, who was afraid of the possibility of having to kill a person before, go through with it. What didn't work, was that since this is the end of the show, they just kind of gloss over the whole trauma aspect of what occurred to Kiruko. They decide to move on from Robin, and there isn't any real grieving process or addressing how this incident would affect Kiruko or their relationship with Maru and others moving forward. In the end, it felt like the rape scene was there for cheap shock value, and that the show didn't give enough time and weight to the subject matter for it to feel necessary/thematically important. Perhaps this is different in the manga, but just going off of the first season of the show, it really didn't work for me.

Pokemon Concierge: I'm a sucker for stop motion content, and this is a fun spinoff of the pokemon IP. It's nice getting to have an actual adult in Haru be our focal character. Some of the messages and themes in these 4 episodes were good for both children and adults to take notice of. The only thing holding this back for me was that there wasn't enough meat on the bone; if there had been a few more episodes and if we got to learn more about Haru and the other concierges then this would have probably bumped off 100 girlfriends from my top 5.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Guess I should make my list since I won't have time to watch any more this year. In no particular order:

-Vinland Saga S2
-Spy x Family S2
-Jujutsu Kaisen S2
-Attack on Titan (Final Parts of the Final Finale)
-Nier ver1.1a

Guarantees for Next Year: Frieren

Shows I'll Probably Need to Watch: Pluto, G-Witch

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Frieren would probably be Top 5, but it can't, so...

1. Isekai Ojisan (Uncle From Another World) - Consistently made me laugh my rear end off. Only downside were the horrible delays.
2. Ousama Ranking: Yuuki no Takarabako (Ranking of Kings: The Treasure Chest of Courage) - Beautiful.
3. SPYxFAMILY Season 2 - Peak anime here.
4. Boku no Hero Academia 6 (My Hero Academia 6) - Still my favorite shonen since Dragon Ball
5. Skip to Loafer (Skip and Loafer) - I love her. I love him. It's so good.

Honorable Mentions
6. Pokémon Concierge - I just want more!
7. Buddy Daddies - Cute
8. Overtake! - Better than I expected, really loved Madoka's story specifically
9. Dr. STONE: New World + Part 2 - Still fun
10. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Katanakaji no Sato-hen (Demon Slayer: Swordsmith Village Arc) - Not as good as earlier or later arcs
11. Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! (Tomo-chan is a Girl!) - Fun

Unranked:
Gokushufudou Season 2 (Way of the Househusband Season 2) - Too short!
Jigokuraku (Hell’s Paradise) - Kinda boring, I was disappointed
Mairimashita! Iruma-kun 3 (Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 3) - Same old Iruma-kun, but the enjoyment is running kinda thin
Hokago no Breath (Pokémon Paldean Winds) - Nice
Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers - Awful
Scott Pilgrim Takes Off - poo poo

Shows I Need to Watch: Vinland Saga Season 2, Insomniacs After School, Under Ninja, Doomsday with my Dog
Shows I Need to Finish: Hikari no Ou
Shows I Started but Sucked, so I Stopped - 100 Girlfriends, 16-Bit Sensation, Horimiya, The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses
Not Interested in At All, But Probably Objectively Good: Oshi no Ko, Pluto, Heavenly Delusion, Zom 100

Looking over everyone's votes, I'm basically throwing mine away, but meh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1. bang dream mygo (insanely good drama, also very funny)
2. skip to loafer (fun romcom, great sidecast)
3. birdie wing (had a really fun core dynamic but dropped a lot of the stuff it setup and the ending was a bit wonky)
4. witch from mercury (see above, but with more balls to juggle)
5. world dai star (was mostly kinda boring but the last few episodes were really strong, wish the whole show had been like that)

honorable mention: i liked a couple of the middle eps of scott pilgrim but the start and ending were pretty dull, i think they should have just actually committed to the premise instead of being all meta with it, also we didnt need an insanely long fight scene between random evil exes

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

HMs:
Skip and Loafer
Oshi no Ko

5. Pluto
4. Scott Pilgrim Takes Off
3. Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury
2. Attack on Titan Final Season THE FINAL CHAPTERS Special 2
1. Blue Giant

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Better late than never, right? Well here we go!

1) BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!: I was calling this a shoe-in for my Anime of the Year after episode three and hindsight will show I was not jumping the gun. This show floored me. I have watched and enjoyed a couple of standard High School Girls with Hobbies: Band Edition and the only one that came close to this in terms of quality was Bocchi The Rock, and that show was utterly different in tone from this one. Bocchi was ultimately a triumphant and very funny comedy, this is an incredibly raw drama. MyGO is a story of tremendously flawed, deeply fascinating, deeply compelling, utterly real characters (and a cat) going through incredibly intense and ultimately incredibly cathartic stories. It is an amazing show on basically every level, it may be a low-budget 3D animated show but it is preposterously well directed with a lot of truly inspired shot composition and I cannot rave enough about the writing and storytelling. The show got across half a season's worth of characterization and backstory in the 20 seconds it took for a character to write her surname on a notebook.

I'm just... I am in awe of this series. I'd say it was unbelievable if I hadn't been there watching it.

2) Gundam: The Witch from Mercury: So my big think take on this very good and incredibly compelling show is that WfM is one of the few Gundam shows, and certainly the first in a while, that really grabbed the zeitgeist. Gundam, and really all media, is going to be a product of its time but it (and really all media) rarely nails the feeling of a moments and I think Which from Mercury nailed that. This is a show entirely about class division, entrenched and corrupt systems of power, generational neglect, and cycles of abuse. It's sort of what Unicorn was aiming for except thematically done better with a stronger cast of characters that I like a lot more. And boy was it a ride watching it from week to week, seeing the plot unfold and characters slowly tease out and develop themselves and show us who they really are. I also have to give them extreme props to the character arc of Guel, I honestly would not have thought he'd be a fan favorite after the first couple of episodes but man alive was he an incredible character. Hell, the entire cast are incredible characters. Absolutely fantastic Gundam.

And also, wow are there some cool robots in this show.

3) Digimon Ghost Game: Man what a 180 this was from Adventure 20. That show felt absolutely exhausted by the end of it. There was a real "doing it for the paycheck" vibe to the entire back half of Adventure 20, and the last cour was especially dire. Going from that into Ghost Game was like night and day because it does none of that. Despite running as long as Adventure 20 it felt genuinely excited to be here for the whole series. The show and its production was incredibly thrilled to do all sorts of really wild and messed up Digimon stuff, showing off an incredible range of new and old Digimon with a real horror flair.

So my pithy summation of this show is that it probably would've been better if it had been more serialized, but I don't think it's necessarily worse for having been essentially an anthology series. Because the show did actually go forward, but it went forward not directly in terms of the story but via theme and message. The show progressed by showing the growth of the characters and their abilities and their role in the world. And I'm not just talking evolutions, that's only part of it. The protagonists from the last 10 episodes are quantifiably, significantly, and I think intentionally more skilled, knowledgeable, and ultimately capable than they were in the first 10 episodes. As the show goes on the characters meet more people and Digimon, learn more about the world they live in, and grow into their adopted roles as investigators and peacekeepers. Frankly the final resolution of the show makes a lot of sense given the very strong, consistent message of optimism and understanding that runs through the show. And it manages that as a frequently really nasty horror anthology. The show is basically Courage the Cowardly Dog except Japanese urban legends except Digimon with a strongly written central theme and I had no idea how much I wanted that until the show rolled out. Hell yeah.

4) Bofuri: What can I say? This show is still a hoot. Just about all the good things in season one are here, with the addition of a couple of astonishingly good fight scenes (except that one episode where it's clear they funneled all the money out of it for the next episode). We get to see Maple and her friends hang out and have fun playing a game. Maple goes around becoming more ridiculously overpowered, either by accident or by eating some giant monster, while the rest the characters who aren't immortal have their own fights and challenges. We see them hang out with, and compete with the other guilds who are also fun characters and bounce off of each other in fun ways. We get to see the developers ripping their hair out over Maple Tree's shenanigans. The cast go to interesting and exciting places and meet interesting monsters and kill them in a variety of entertaining scenarios. The game they play itself continues to look like a spiral of nonsense that doesn't often connect with reality, but who cares? It's ultimately a fun hangout comedy where the crew occasionally goes and kills giant monsters. If you want verisimilitude in your VRMMO action series watch Shangri-La Frontier. Meanwhile, I recommend Bofuri for a laugh.

5) Dark Gathering: Season 2, please. Dark Gathering was sort of my replacement fix for Ghost Game after it ended. This show is also essentially a gruesome anthology horror series, but the difference besides not being part of a franchise is that Dark Gathering is ultimately way darker in tone and setting and also the cast are tremendously unwell. This is a show about hosed up people fighting hosed up ghosts using other hosed up ghosts and other kinds of tools on a quest to fight even more hosed up ghosts and an rear end in a top hat god. There is an ongoing story but it is mostly there to justify the cast going to haunted places to learn the hosed up, gruesome history of the horrific spirits they're fighting against. And I absolutely can't wait for more.

I should probably go watch Pluto...

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Watched quite few shows this year, but I found this list quite hard to put together. Too many Actually Good things for my usual trash to get a look in, but not quite so many that I could've filled a whole top 10.

5. Vinland Saga (s2): It's quite the feat to go from a first series that was more than a little "wow cool robot" about violence to this slow, introspective look at how it messes people up, and even more so to have them both land.

4. To Your Enternity/ Fumetsu no Anata e (s2): Bonchien Nikolai La Tastypeach Uralys was one of the best characters of the year, and not just because you got to say his name. Outside of that, the show went to some interesting places, but it feels like they've burned a lot of bridges - I have no idea what season 3 could possibly involve.

3. Isekai Oji-san: I fear this is going to get shafted by being split over the year break. It's an isekai parody that's actually funny (well it's hard to justify why you liked a comedy - *I* thought it was funny). Benefits from not leaning too hard on the whole "he's from the 90s" bit.

2.Heavenly Delusion / Tengoku Daimakyou: Plenty has been said about this already. Amazingly atmospheric show, and I don't think one instance of edge-lordery does much to spoil it.

1. The Dangers In My Heart /Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu: extremely cute romcom, displaying more insight into idiot teens than is typical for this kind of thing. OP remains stuck in my head to this day.

Near misses that I'll immediately regret not putting on the list: Undead Girl Murder Farce, Buddy Daddies, that one Fate stay night movie thing.
Things I should have watched but haven't: Skip and Loafer, Gundam, Scott Pilgrim.
Things that entertain me but don't actually deserve to be up here: KamiKatsu, The Vampires Dies In No Time s2, Dr Stone
Disqualified, but clear contenders for next year: Frieren, Apothecary Diaries.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
1. pluto
2. gwitch

i dont remember watching anything else

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Just like last year, the anime I enjoyed the most were on the movie side of things. There were some tv anime I liked well enough but they were all known quantities and these days what I value most out of anime is something that's both a surprise and a breath of fresh air, which didn't happen to me with any tv anime this year. Something like Wonder Egg Priority or Oddtaxi, that sorta thing. I certainly wasn't going to get that out of the second season of an adaption of a Mitsuru Adachi manga, a remake of an iconic 90s anime or the long, long awaited finale to one of the bigger hits of the past decade. All good stuff to be sure and well worth the time, but for all of those I knew what I was getting. Also like last year, because of the way movie releases work I have some 2022 movies in my list as 2023 was the first time they were available in English. Way I see it, if that's good enough for the Oscars then it's good enough for these dead gay forums. Anyways!

1) The Boy and the Heron - There are two movies from the past year that I have seen three times in theaters. Asteroid City was one, and The Boy and the Heron the other. They are also the two best movies I watched in all of 2023.

2) Suzume - Truly feels like a culmination of everything Shinkai has been working towards ever since Your Name gave him an explosion in popularity. Easily his best movie yet.

3) Gundam Reconguista in G Movie V: Beyond the Peril of Death - The long recut of G-Reco finally wrapped up. Much like Return of the King at the Oscars this vote is more for the movie series as a whole. I'm not much for mecha these days but Tomino is one of a handful of directors who'll bring me back to mecha town every time. The sheer scale of the edits is incredible, working in very subtle ways - even in the first movie there's a lot of tiny changes that add up to a lot. It's still fundamentally the same story but reedited to fit the pacing of a movie, which as it turns out is a great fit for the anime's often frantic pacing. I loved watching the original tv series as it aired, and these movies are for the most part a noticeable improvement on what was already an incredible anime.

4) The First Slam Dunk - A distillation of everything I love about sports anime. There's a great emotional core that, even though I hadn't seen any Slam Dunk prior to watching the movie, does enough to get me invested in the outcome of the match. And the match itself is so incredibly sick that it'd be a solid movie on spectacle alone even if the emotional aspect didn't land.

5) Blue Giant - A pretty standard script that feels rather biopic-y at times (though not an actual biopic, mind!). Though I'm speaking of that with standards for movies in general, not just anime, so that's a unique angle here. However the direction greatly elevates it. Every musical performance looks so phenomenal that it really helps in selling why every audience member in these performances is just so into jazz.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Just a reminder that Suzume, Gundam Recongusta and The First Slam Dunk are not valid entries since they came out in Japan in 2022.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Julias posted:

Just a reminder that Suzume, Gundam Recongusta and The First Slam Dunk are not valid entries since they came out in Japan in 2022.

Way I see it, movies are in an odd spot because there would have been no way for most folks here to see those movies in 2022 unless they either live in Japan or had the means to attend very specific film festivals. Neither of those apply to me so either I vote for them when they're made available to folks outside Japan or they never get a chance to be included at all. Feel free to not count them, but I won't be changing my list since I've voted that way in the past and will continue to do so.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Really meant to do this sooner and while I had time to actually write some thoughts but ack

1. MyGo!!!!!
2. G-witch
3. SpyFam S2
4. Skip and Loafer
5. Golden Kamuy

Honorable mentions to the same two that are still airing so aren't eligible (Frieren and Apothecary Diaries), Undead Girl Murder Farce, Tearmoon Empire, and Bocchi the Rock! which I first saw this year but woulda been a lock for #1 if I had been on time.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Honorable Mentions: Vampire Dies in No Time S2, Dead Mount Death Play, My Happy Marriage, Love with Yamada-kun at Lv999, SkipLoaf, BokuYaba, The Masterful Cat is Depressed, Yuzuki Family

5. Tsurune - The Linking Shot - This season really blows away my negative feelings from a whelming S1. While Minato still has issues to work through, this season isn't so anchored to him as the lead so time can be better spent on neglected Kazemai members as well as Kirisaki's Shu and their new rivals at Tsujimine. The class disparity/burden brought up in this season doesn't crescendo into a grand point, but is effectively woven into characters like Shu and Eisuke who represent those opposing ends of the spectrum. Visually this felt a step up across the board, with an almost excessive indulgence to the shooting animations and snappy direction full of visual metaphor.

4. Undead Murder Farce - A few stylistic missteps don't dent this as one of the most visually interesting shows of the year. The simple mysteries are fun while giving ample room for cast banter, which is what really endears the show to me. I'm less in love with the action elements, but they seem to broaden the appeal and, in cases like the finale, can marry so well with the rest of the show that it gets to end at the top of its game.

3. Mou Ippon! - Judo still strikes me as novel in sports anime, and this series additionally has the appeal of its varied character designs. But it continues to stick in my head not for being a particularly inventive or expertly-crafted sports show, but because of how its simplicity captures the charm of the characters and makes their enthusiasm for the sport infectious. I still have a soft spot for the OP/ED as well, a great pairing that carry the show's appeal outside the episodes they bookend, both lyrically and tonally.

2. Heavenly Delusion - This is just completely overstuffed. Kiruko and Maru as a great leading duo, their roadtrip showing the beauty and horror of the ruined world, the dual storylines that give the satisfaction of Leo_pointing.gif moments and deeper emotional or thematic parallels, and on the production side a broad and varied cast of artists that give the series not just standout moments, but multiple full episodes.

1. Migi & Dali - I can acknowledge that Fall was a loaded season, but aside from that it's incredibly difficult for me to accept the relative lack of noise being made about this show. While the premiere promises a darkly comic revenge story carried out effortlessly by twins posing as one boy, it readily complicates its premise each episode and perfectly balances those conflicting tones. By the end it has gone far beyond just that tonal dichotomy, giving this strange show a wonderful emotional core. I do hope it has a long tail and people come to it in the future, though it also feels like a hard sell while trying to preserve the many surprises it has in store.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Srice posted:

Way I see it, movies are in an odd spot because there would have been no way for most folks here to see those movies in 2022 unless they either live in Japan or had the means to attend very specific film festivals. Neither of those apply to me so either I vote for them when they're made available to folks outside Japan or they never get a chance to be included at all. Feel free to not count them, but I won't be changing my list since I've voted that way in the past and will continue to do so.

This is why I voted for Heaven's Feel: ~Spring Song~ a couple years back even though it technically was in theaters in Japan in 2020 during COVID. Basically, no one saw it until the bluray release in 2021.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Voting is now closed

The results will be posted on Wednesday though because I'm working all day tomorrow. 🙃

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Do you think you should skip the votes of people who are banned at the time of voting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

we should honor the opinions of everyone, even the perverts

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thank you

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Strange Quark posted:

Do you think you should skip the votes of people who are banned at the time of voting

Nah, as long as they were able to submit their vote in time, it should count

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Here are the ADTRW Best Anime of 2023 results:

We had a total of 44 voters with 67 unique anime voted for AOTY, 84 if you include Honorable Mentions that didn't get any AOTY votes.

The Unweighted Top Ten is as follows:

10/9. The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You: 6 votes + 2 HMs
10/9. Scott Pilgrim Takes Off!: 6 votes + 2 HMs
8. Attack on Titan: 7 votes + 1HM
7. Spy X Family Season 2: 7 votes + 2HMs
6. Skip and Loafer: 7 votes + 6 HMs
5. Vinland Saga Season 2: 10 votes
4. Pluto: 11 votes
3. Oshi no Ko: 11 votes +2 HMs
2. BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!: 17 votes
1. Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury: 17 votes +4 HMs

The Weighted Top Ten is as follows:

10. Heavenly Delusion: 18 points
9/8. Spy X Family Season 2: 19 points
9/8. Skip and Loafer: 19 points
7. Scott Pilgrim Takes Off!: 20 points
6. Attack on Titan: 25 points
5. Oshi no Ko: 31 points
4. Vinland Saga Season 2: 35 points
3. Pluto: 36 points
2. Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury: 59 points
1. BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!: 78 points

And here's a link to the full spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZXMRJNJ-tA1W9Jeg5nKDM1IKhZXP_sRs1OnOX3wjSaE/edit?usp=sharing

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Overall, there's a good variety of anime genres on display here. It's a bit disappointing to see the voter turnout down almost 40% from last year, but that's how it is sometimes. The lower number of participants did make a more noticeable impact on the Unweighted Top Ten, as the lower vote count lead to a denser distribution of total votes cast for particular series, resulting in the Honorable Mentions often being a deciding factor in breaking up the ties. Likewise, it makes the Weighted Top Ten look significantly different in comparison because while there might not have been much of a difference in the total number of votes two series received, the points that those series were awarded could have varied significantly. Of note, BanG Dream and Gundam both got 17 votes (and Gundam got HMs), but BanG Dream had received 19 more points total. On the inverse end, 100 Girlfriends snuck into the 10th spot in the unweighted list with 6 votes, but it only had 11 points compared to Scott Pilgrims' 20 points (also 6 votes), and in between these two were Heavenly Delusion (5 votes with 18 points), Blue Giant (4 votes with 16 points), and Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 (4 votes with 13 points)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I meant to vote but then kept getting side tracked. Whoops.

For me the big thing became limiting myself to what came out this year, when I start thinking about how I’d probably put like, Aim for the Ace in my top 5 because i watched it this year. I also easily track my games played, but anime not so much.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Guess I'll watch MyGo then. We'll see if it can get past my intense aversion to 3DCG anime.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah I had a pretty chaotic start to the year, if the voting had been in the back half of December I would have been able to put up my usual effortpost.

Largely though the year really wasn't that outstanding and I feel like the lower number of votes reflects that. I don't think anything in the top three would have made my own list and my own list didn't really have anything clearly deserving of top spots outside of #1.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Malsangoroth posted:

Guess I'll watch MyGo then. We'll see if it can get past my intense aversion to 3DCG anime.

I absolutely could not get past it, but I realize that is a me thing so I still recommend people give it a shot given the love it got from such a wide audience.

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah I had a pretty chaotic start to the year, if the voting had been in the back half of December I would have been able to put up my usual effortpost.

Largely though the year really wasn't that outstanding and I feel like the lower number of votes reflects that. I don't think anything in the top three would have made my own list and my own list didn't really have anything clearly deserving of top spots outside of #1.

I feel like its more that the year had 1 or 2 really good shows for most people that just kind of drove the narrative for the whole year and maybe put peoples expectations higher than normal. There was actually a decent amount of good shows airing outside those big few ones but you would have had to either luck into picking them to watch (like I apparently did?) or watch a few episodes of every shows which is just unreasonable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mygo owns and the cg looks better than like 70% of the 2d anime that gets made these days

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's interesting compared the list here to the nominations/lists in other places. Like the Crunchyroll awards (throwing out Chainsaw man and Bocchi cause of their dumb rules) having Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 but no Witch from Mercury and no awards nominations for MyGo is something (Not that I expected different)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I chalk that up to what Crunchyroll actively chose to promote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's interesting compared the list here to the nominations/lists in other places. Like the Crunchyroll awards (throwing out Chainsaw man and Bocchi cause of their dumb rules) having Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 but no Witch from Mercury and no awards nominations for MyGo is something (Not that I expected different)

The big streaming and anime sites are kind of incentivized to put the big budget highly promoted shows at the top because that is how they draw in subs and views.

Not only that but I feel like outside of a handful of shows, most posters here encourage watching and discussing all those lower budget or lesser known shows. Especially if it means stepping out of your comfort zone. I wouldnt have even given MyGO a test watch if it wasnt for Endorph and Julias encouraging me to at least set aside my dislike for CG.