Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
a black woman owns the club but needs a white man to come save the day, it's not that complicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
Just saw Godzilla x Kong and I'm kind of mixed on it. Of course the script sucks and the story is almost non-existent and incoherent and the humans are whatever but then I kind of appreciate that this kind of insanity is being made today. The end battle was basically the same as in Godzilla vs Kong so that was a little lame but there were some funny fight scenes throughout (Godzilla suplexing Kong). And it's hilarious how in ten years we have gone from "let's make a somewhat grounded and realistic Godzilla movie" to "secret societies, giant ape kingdoms and ice monsters in the hollow earth battling pink super-Godzilla, power gloved Kong & Mothra". The first Godzilla and Skull Island are still the best monsterverse moopies but somehow I'm glad they are still making these insane films, even if they are getting worse and worse.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

not trolled not crying posted:

The first Godzilla and Skull Island are still the best monsterverse moopies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFd8W6fxEto

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Yeah poo poo like this rules. Or how in the same film they build up the Sam Jackson vs Kong confrontation and when it happens Kong immediately just squashes him like a bug. Similarly in GxK there's the cute baby ape you see in the trailers and when he first shows up he betrays and attacks Kong with his bad guy buddies so Kong grabs him and uses him as a club to beat up the bigger bad guys. loving ridiculous and hilarious.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

bitterandtwisted posted:

I watched the Roadhouse remake. It's just kind of nothing.

I saw Late Night with the Devil, and the same can be said of it.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i wonder what that guy's dad would have thought about the ronda rousey version of the roadhouse they were talking about making a decade ago

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

"the good kind of woke" just means you were able to successfully project your own politics onto it

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i wasn't trying to turn this page into a debate over what's woke or not, i was just trying to get into sure okay's dad's head, he seems cool i wanna hang out with him

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’ll bet that trying to give sure okay's dad's head would be considered “the good kind of woke”

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I've never seen Road House or met sure okay's dad so I was just curious

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
was tryin to get into sure okay's dad's head and he turned it right around on me

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

I also believe that roadhouse is the good kind of woke due to its accurate depiction of the modern irish (for the historical irish, please refer to star trek tng)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think it's because movies that suck now force you to stare at CG and green screen poop for 90 minutes. At least if an old movie sucks you might get treated to some photography of whatever city they filmed it in.

cities used to look better too. Picard season 2 or 3 whatever was shot in present day and it looks like poo poo.

and SETS. something like return of the living dead was shot on sets and it looked great. a green screen is not a set.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I met the dad. He’s better than Dune and Dune 2 combined

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Barudak posted:

Watching Clash of the Titans 2010 after watching Clash of the Titans 1983 and uh, look this film isnt good but its like 12,000 times better than the original

Ray Harryhausen is going to animate a stop motion Hecatoncheires from beyond the grave to kick your rear end.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

just watched the pop tarts trailer

*takes a long drag off a cigarette*

hey, you know what's a good comedy about a simple but wildly popular product? the hudsucker proxy. plus, it has the added bonus of not being a 2 hour wham-o commercial

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Ray Harryhausen is going to animate a stop motion Hecatoncheires from beyond the grave to kick your rear end.

I didn't realize Ray Harryhausen was a script writer, kind of tarnished his legacy for me to know he wrote the dogshit rear end 1983 film.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I haven't seen the '83 Titans since I was a kid. I remember liking it a lot, though Argonauts was my favourite because of the awesome skeleton battle.
I saw an exhibition of Harryhausen's models in Edinburgh a couple years back, magic stuff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jason and the Argonauts is significantly significantly better.

That said, 1983 Clash of the Titans has a kick rear end tension filled Medusa battle and 2010 version hates it. Its honestly really interesting how much 2010 is a conversation with 1983 and fixes some of the most glaring issues with 1983 while introducing its own problems and not understanding what that means for its own narrative when it makes those changes.

Like you could make a fascinating 2037 remake of Clash of the Titans that synthesizes these two into a coherent, satisfying, final form.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Just found out that Louis Gossett Jr passed away. While it was far from his most noteworthy performance, I'll always remember him from the movie Iron Eagle, which my little brother and I must have watched a hundred times when we were kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py1LeIf3xQE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Barudak posted:

I didn't realize Ray Harryhausen was a script writer, kind of tarnished his legacy for me to know he wrote the dogshit rear end 1981 film.

Be didn't write it but he is the reason people remember it in the first place because his animation work kicks rear end.

Also fun fact, if you've ever played God of War 2, Perseus shows up in the game and he's played by Harry Hamlin again.

Then Kratos kicks his rear end.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

CONTENT, FUCKOS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWhCZmPpYy0

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWhCZmPpYy0

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Endless Endless Trash Trash

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Just found out that Louis Gossett Jr passed away. While it was far from his most noteworthy performance, I'll always remember him from the movie Iron Eagle, which my little brother and I must have watched a hundred times when we were kids.

gently caress you driftingmouse!!!!!!!!!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

My pet peeve is when content gets posted and the thread briefly glances in the rear view mirror before talking about Star Wars some more, so this video is a total no-win scenario for me.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
looking forward to watching this tonight. I hope they're either right so I get to lord it over all the Andor haters, or wrong so I get to argue with the cretinous RLM stans who haven't had an original opinion in their lives

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i would never watch star wars slop, so i dont even need to argue about it!!!

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i would rather rewatch Popeye than one episode of a star wars tv show

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Sunk Dunk posted:

i would rather rewatch Popeye than one episode of a star wars tv show

this is the one contrary opinion on Andor I could ever respect

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't watch andor because it doesn't factor in to the baby yoda mythos

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

Star Wars slop is my polka band name.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

sure okay posted:

lol my dad just talked my ear off about this movie earlier today.

He loved it. He also loved the new Roadhouse for being "the good kind of woke." Yeah thats about his taste.

Shant be watching either

My dad liked those two as well, though he hasn't gotten the anti-woke brainworms yet. They both look like poo poo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Shea Wigham owns

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

poo poo all of my content dreams are coming true

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

gently caress you driftingmouse!!!!!!!!!

I had to post the Louis Gossett Jr news here as soon as I heard it because I didn't want DM to sully Gossett's legacy by using it for their gimmick.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Blandsnore

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LanceHunter posted:

I'm looking through his IMDB and call me crazy but I think I might know him best as the voice of the vortigaunt from Half-Life 2. I don't think I'm familiar with a lot of his movies. But the dude was working steadily since the 60s and that's pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Pac and Cheese posted:

a black woman owns the club but needs a white man to come save the day, it's not that complicated

got it in one