Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I want a bad guy that is fashion conscious and just doesn’t think red goes with his outfit, so the good guys never catch on that he’s bad even when he’s murdering people and making bad guy monologues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

“He’s killing the younglings… but I’m sure it’s fine, after all he is a Jedi. They must have deserved it.”

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Endless Trash posted:

There should be a color blind Jedi who never knows who he should be attacking and constantly kills his own dudes

Just yelling "sorry, actually I don't see colour" at Mace Windu over and over again

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I just discovered that some stuff on Amazon prime has audio options for "dialogue boost medium" and "dialogue boost high" and now I want to marry Jeff Bezos

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i dunno dude his wife looks pretty intimidating i don't know if i'd want to gently caress with her. also it's probably just a lovely eq

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kingo Ligma posted:

I just discovered that some stuff on Amazon prime has audio options for "dialogue boost medium" and "dialogue boost high" and now I want to marry Jeff Bezos

God drat do I hate some audio mixing where dialogue that is clearly meant to be audible just isn't. Also with live music this can also be an issue, but I give that a bit more of a pass as, you know they're mixing live, it ain't always gonna be perfect. TV shows and movies have no excuses.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sure okay posted:

The Respawn jedi game has a lightsaber that changes color with every blow and they will 100% give that someone at some point

One of the Star Wars Visions episodes had lightsaber mood rings that changed color based on how good or evil you were. It was actually pretty clever because the guy who commissioned building the lightsabers was using them to draw out hidden Sith and other darksiders so he could kill them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I finally saw DUNC 2 and while I liked some changes like making it more obvious Paul's ascension is not a good thing and making Chani a more fleshed out character and how they handled Alia others were for the worse like leaving out the Spacing Guild and kinda dumbing down Paul's threat to the emperor by not having them be party to it (and makes me curious how he'll go about handling the conspiracy in Messiah). How he handled the Harkonnens was always silly but it became almost comical here and that felt dumbed down as well compared to the Baron's actual plan with Feyd-Rautha in the book. The visuals were amazing as always with Denis and even though I thought the scene was generally kinda goofy the black sun effect was cool as hell. The vehicle designs were some of the coolest I've seen on screen with the emperor's ship and throne room descending from it being stand outs.

And more an observation than criticism but I'd always read Fedaykin as fedakeen since it read to me as a play on fedayeen.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 17, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For my money the best visual in the movie is that overhead shot when Paul is moving through the crowd of Fremen and each head looks like an individual grain of sand, with Paul's movement across the screen from top to bottom symbolizing the coming avalanche of change.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Arc Hammer posted:

For my money the best visual in the movie is that overhead shot when Paul is moving through the crowd of Fremen and each head looks like an individual grain of sand, with Paul's movement across the screen from top to bottom symbolizing the coming avalanche of change.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Man I discover new horrors perpetrated by Frank's failson every day:

quote:

Paul Atreides (/əˈtreɪdiːz/;[1] later known as Paul Muad'Dib, and later still as The Preacher) is a fictional character in the Dune universe created by Frank Herbert. He is a main character in the first two novels in the series, Dune (1965) and Dune Messiah (1969), and returns in Children of Dune (1976). The character is brought back as two different gholas in the Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson novels which conclude the original series, Hunters of Dune (2006) and Sandworms of Dune (2007), and appears in the prequels Paul of Dune (2008) and The Winds of Dune (2009).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Remember when the King Terminator threw a human baby out of its literal ivory tower, instigating the Butlerian Jihad against the Terminators?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Baron is fat because a sex witch put a curse on him.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

THE BAR posted:

The Baron is fat because a sex witch put a curse on him.

That's what he tells everyone at least.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

You guys talkin Paul?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

THE BAR posted:

Remember when the King Terminator threw a human baby out of its literal ivory tower, instigating the Butlerian Jihad against the Terminators?

Hey guys my dad definitely left notes that the thing he explicitly said was a revolution against computers making people lazy was actually a generic robot war.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Brian Herbert definitely makes me appreciate Christopher Tolkien.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pac and Cheese posted:

rainbow pride lightsaber vs thin blue line lightsaber

The jedi are basically cops anyway

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare is fine. The whole thing feels like a Guy Ritchie movie but with a certain smooth and naturalness in all the dialogue missing. Every scene has a clear setup\punchline thing going on that I couldn't shake. The action is good enough and endless mass killing of Nazis is always a treat. Til Schweiger's super evil Nazi character is 100% useless and unneeded and is almost wholly just a side plot for Eiza González to have something to do. She's pretty so I guess it's fine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arc Hammer posted:

One of the Star Wars Visions episodes had lightsaber mood rings that changed color based on how good or evil you were. It was actually pretty clever because the guy who commissioned building the lightsabers was using them to draw out hidden Sith and other darksiders so he could kill them.

Jedi entrapment

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The guy named Mace should use a mace instead of a sword.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lightsaber pepper spray

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i watched william peter blatty's the ninth configuration. you should too, its weird and great! part of a trilogy of what have been called religious thrillers with exorcist and legion but very different than the other two. cant remember if it was brought up any any of the rlm exorcist discussions but if you like exorcist 3 more than 1, it's an alternate, more initially comedic/farcical, less horror-focused approach to some of the same themes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

That DICK! posted:

You guys talkin Paul?

Dude fuckin ruined Christianity and turned it into some weird racist toxic mess

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I finally saw DUNC 2 and while I liked some changes like making it more obvious Paul's ascension is not a good thing and making Chani a more fleshed out character and how they handled Alia others were for the worse like leaving out the Spacing Guild and kinda dumbing down Paul's threat to the emperor by not having them be party to it (and makes me curious how he'll go about handling the conspiracy in Messiah). How he handled the Harkonnens was always silly but it became almost comical here and that felt dumbed down as well compared to the Baron's actual plan with Feyd-Rautha in the book. The visuals were amazing as always with Denis and even though I thought the scene was generally kinda goofy the black sun effect was cool as hell. The vehicle designs were some of the coolest I've seen on screen with the emperor's ship and throne room descending from it being stand outs.

And more an observation than criticism but I'd always read Fedaykin as fedakeen since it read to me as a play on fedayeen.

can you elaborate? liking the alia change but not those to the harkonnens and the guild is a pretty unique opinion. people have tended to either like all of the changes or hate all of them

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

dreezy posted:

i watched william peter blatty's the ninth configuration. you should too, its weird and great! part of a trilogy of what have been called religious thrillers with exorcist and legion but very different than the other two. cant remember if it was brought up any any of the rlm exorcist discussions but if you like exorcist 3 more than 1, it's an alternate, more initially comedic/farcical, less horror-focused approach to some of the same themes

Oh hey it’s on Tubi. Once again proving that tubi and freevee and the like are the best case scenario future of streaming.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

That DICK! posted:

You guys talkin Paul?

We're talked based Paul,
From Maine to San Diego,
Talkin' based Paul,
Stilgar and Leto,
The Barons grotesquely swollen back,
Worms goin' on the attack,
We're talkin' Feyyyyyyd,
And the Kwisatz Haderach.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kalel posted:

can you elaborate? liking the alia change but not those to the harkonnens and the guild is a pretty unique opinion. people have tended to either like all of the changes or hate all of them

I think a toddler just doesn't work on screen in the way Alia acts in the book. Denis probably could've handled it better with her appearing only in dreams because it unfortunately introduces the book non-existent telepathy which is used later between Jessica and Mohiam. Found that especially strange because he didn't keep the weirding way in which is way more "realistic". That said I was never a huge fan of Alia's storyline in the books I found the Abomination concept a bit goofy even within the framework of genetic memories being real.

I didn't like how the revelation of Paul's lineage was handled either but it made sense with how Denis was adapting the story.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 17, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

dreezy posted:

Have you watched "Immaculate" yet? I also love religious thrillers and I'm wondering how that fits in there.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

priznat posted:

Have you watched "Immaculate" yet? I also love religious thrillers and I'm wondering how that fits in there.

no but i havent really been watching new movies for a while, (the only films from 2023 i saw were killers of the flower moon and half of renfield (fell asleep in theater) and none so far in 2024), so im not the guy to ask, but based on my tried and true film analysis method of reading only the blue words in the wikipedia plot summary, it sounds like quite the lark

Sister superior Roman Catholic buried alive Christianity convent vows evangelical counsels nun rosary Holy Nail Jesus was crucified pregnant, even though she is a virgin Virgin Mary 2 Corinthians 11:14 used DNA samples relic malformed fetuses brands water breaks ethanol catacombs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Civil War last night. The gun sounds were really powerful since I saw it at an AMC Dolby theater. Movie looked real good, too. But beyond that, it didn't leave much of an impression. It didn't even touch on the politics of the titular civil war, which sucked. I guess that's what you get when you let a British person write a movie about an American civil war.

It was kinda like a Call of Duty campaign meets Nightcrawler since it was about war photographers who get up close to the action and photograph dead bodies and poo poo, except I thought Nightcrawler was a way better movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dreezy posted:

Sister superior Roman Catholic buried alive Christianity convent vows evangelical counsels nun rosary Holy Nail Jesus was crucified pregnant, even though she is a virgin Virgin Mary 2 Corinthians 11:14 used DNA samples relic malformed fetuses brands water breaks ethanol catacombs

Guys I think I'm having a stroke

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I watched 65 last night expecting red box level schlock and instead was pleasantly surprised with an extremely competent action movie with enough sci fi/thriller stuff to be interesting and get this:

It's and action movie

That is

NINETY MINUTES LONG

THE CORRECT LENGTH.

10/10

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The director of The Green Knight was on the Blank Check podcast recently and said that he saw 65 in Germany, where most films are redubbed instead of subtitled.

Apparently the original directors wanted to have the film in a 100% alien language before being so obviously shot down by the studio. So watching it dubbed into German but not speaking German was the closest thing to the directors' original vision for the film.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

I saw Civil War last night. The gun sounds were really powerful since I saw it at an AMC Dolby theater. Movie looked real good, too. But beyond that, it didn't leave much of an impression. It didn't even touch on the politics of the titular civil war, which sucked. I guess that's what you get when you let a British person write a movie about an American civil war.

It was kinda like a Call of Duty campaign meets Nightcrawler since it was about war photographers who get up close to the action and photograph dead bodies and poo poo, except I thought Nightcrawler was a way better movie.

Pretty much what I assumed it would be

Thank u 4 ur service

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

jeeves posted:

The director of The Green Knight was on the Blank Check podcast recently and said that he saw 65 in Germany, where most films are redubbed instead of subtitled.

Apparently the original directors wanted to have the film in a 100% alien language before being so obviously shot down by the studio. So watching it dubbed into German but not speaking German was the closest thing to the directors' original vision for the film.

They kinda got halfway there, of the two characters one speaks english and the other speaks a made up language.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Rageaholic posted:

I get not wanting to wade into America’s terrible politics and make the reasons behind the war “something something Orange Man”, but then maybe don’t make a movie about a second American Civil War. It a huge cop out and just boring to have civil war that features no discernible political goals.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
granted it was a fancam but I thought the last 15 minutes of it that someone put on twitter looked hilariously cheap. maybe they blew the budget on the first half of the movie

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the virgin david lowery:

Kingo Ligma posted:

of the two characters one speaks english and the other speaks a made up language.

the chad george lucas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrZ-xeAlJ_c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I heard the best part of Civil War is Jesse Plemons being an absolute psycho. He has a niche for sure!