Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

That the Potion Seller guy wrote it would be the main selling point to me.

lmao that guy rules. i knew he was a playwright, his dance concept album about the loss of a wife with mac photobooth videos is really something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Meat Wagon posted:

why didn't he never tell me this

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Stink Billyums posted:

colin literally worked on lexx

But he never watched it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Meat Wagon posted:

That's what you get for not subscribing to his podcast. To fully embrace the RLM Extended Universe you need to be listening to No Such Thing as a Bad Movie while asking your local record store to stock the albums of IfIHadAHiFi and queuing up Let's Play videos from Second Wind.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I liked it when adama jr got real fat. I was like "haha get a load of this fatso!"

It's OK though because he worked it off in like two weeks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Presto posted:

It's OK though because he worked it off in like two weeks.

"Keep jumping."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lexx loving rules. The initial 4 episode cinemax miniseries and then the first sci fi season (seasons 1 and 2) are both great. Season 3 is the start of the decline because of budget issues and then season 4 is a mess but gave us one of the best gifs in history

https://i.imgur.com/6MjbB3Q.mp4

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Lexx loving rules. The initial 4 episode cinemax miniseries and then the first sci fi season (seasons 1 and 2) are both great. Season 3 is the start of the decline because of budget issues and then season 4 is a mess but gave us one of the best gifs in history

some of colin's best work

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i assumed Lexx fans were basically cryptids. i have never, in my life, met a real one

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i assumed Lexx fans were basically cryptids. i have never, in my life, met a real one

It's similar to onlyfans whales. I don't know anyone who has openly used onlyfans, but somebody's pumping millions into it.

I prefer to get my kicks the honest way. Good old oo-mox.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

kalel posted:

I'm glad, I saw a promo a while back before another movie and it looked like total poo poo

This is mg concern

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

kalel posted:

I'm glad, I saw a promo a while back before another movie and it looked like total poo poo

Yeah I can't imagine making a trailer for it but the movie was incredible and hilarious. Vera Drew was there and she accidentally started doing standup a little in the intro which was also funny.

One of the most interesting looking movies I've ever seen. It's incredible how well the visuals all work, it's like Amazing World of Gumball in terms of just throwing disparate visual styles all thrown together into one cohesive thing. Lorne Michael's was always this doughy CG guy with this shirt that would not stop warbling and flapping. Batman was always some flash cartoon drawing. It looked so cool all together.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Kingo Ligma posted:

I just finished rewatching Battlestar Galactica season 1 on Blu ray thanks to the thread mentioning it the other day. The show loving rules, episodes like 33 are pretty much untouchable by any sci-fi tv this century.

Hilariously though before every single episode the Blu ray has two pieces of additional content:

A disclaimer saying the episodes have not been altered to respect the original creative vision but worded in a way that is very specifically "it's poo poo on purpose and you just don't get it man". There is some really noisy footage and dodgy CGI but who gives a gently caress.

A segment where Ronald D Moore sits in a turned off edit bay philosophising and occasionally tapping at an avid keyboard (connected to the turned off edit bay).

If you stop right after they leave New Caprica, it's a fantastic show. If you keep watching, you're in for a lot of wheel-spinning and backfill to try and make the conclusion meaningful. It doesn't work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you keep watching after New Caprica you see Baltar having really unhappy orgies with the Cylons.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

lmao

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This looks like a clip from a Nostalgia Critic review. I honestly thought it was exactly that until I saw this post.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Hell yeah, Lexx (first two seasons) rules! I feel like it pops up every now and then and a handul of sickos come out of the woodwork to say they were fans. Nothing else captures that depressing off kilter but somewhat comedic atmosphere.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost
when i was a kid and saw ads for lexx it seemed to me that the word 'lexx' was uncomfortably close to 'sex' and should be avoided at all costs

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
In the show Lexx their spaceship is a giant penis, and I’m too intelligent to watch a show where the crew flies around in a giant penis.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

My username is a lexx reference

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Lexx is great, it is one of the most perfect realizations of concept that has ever been.

It's just that that concept is "Sweat, insanity, and goofiness squeezed through the lens of no budget sci-fi".

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
lexx is merely the result of germans and maritimers collaborating

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

Hell yeah, Lexx (first two seasons) rules! I feel like it pops up every now and then and a handul of sickos come out of the woodwork to say they were fans. Nothing else captures that depressing off kilter but somewhat comedic atmosphere.

Yea, I loved Lexx because it's okay for scifi to be trashy sometimes as long as it's fun.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Mozi posted:

when i was a kid and saw ads for lexx it seemed to me that the word 'lexx' was uncomfortably close to 'sex' and should be avoided at all costs

This is a pretty accurate reflection of the show tbh

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mozi posted:

totally wrong

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

:lmao:

edit:

:lmao:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

WoodrowSkillson posted:

never seen it before but just want to agree that IMHO that is indeed one of the best gifs in history

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 26, 2024

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

people always talk about the movie Threads as this important “horror” movie or “super depressing” movie of note so i watched it last night. the whole time i just kept thinking that the movie was interesting and of note but not doing it for me. maybe it was too cheap looking or maybe everyone was just way too british. but then honestly i had trouble falling asleep haha.

i do like a movie that pretends to be real (im like mike in that way. i also have giant purple hands) and the interstitial cards in between scenes were effective enough to not have the stupid random, out of place narration.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Hackers film 1995 posted:

people always talk about the movie Threads as this important “horror” movie or “super depressing” movie of note so i watched it last night. the whole time i just kept thinking that the movie was interesting and of note but not doing it for me. maybe it was too cheap looking or maybe everyone was just way too british. but then honestly i had trouble falling asleep haha.

i do like a movie that pretends to be real (im like mike in that way. i also have giant purple hands) and the interstitial cards in between scenes were effective enough to not have the stupid random, out of place narration.

The whole sequence of the bomb dropping on Sheffield, chaos erupting, power systems collapsing and people just vanishing never to be seen again is so well edited, I'm having a hard time thinking of an apocalyptic sequence I've seen since watching Threads that filled me with such a stomach turning sense of dread

e: here it is :nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5sVzS3itqY

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Meat Wagon posted:

colin

colin!!!!!!!!

why didn't you never tell him this

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Hackers film 1995 posted:

maybe it was too cheap looking or maybe everyone was just way too british.
this is a problem with like 90% of media made in britain imo

Cubone
May 26, 2011

every british movie looks like Willard

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like either mike was getting his purple hands disease under control for a while, or at least the posters decided to stop gibing him about it for a time. I guess it's a long road when moderating your drinking is, well, not an option

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

The whole sequence of the bomb dropping on Sheffield, chaos erupting, power systems collapsing and people just vanishing never to be seen again is so well edited, I'm having a hard time thinking of an apocalyptic sequence I've seen since watching Threads that filled me with such a stomach turning sense of dread

Interestingly the little bit that clip hints at, with the people hopelessly stacking doors and mattresses against the wall, is also a major theme in the animated film "When the Wind Blows", since that was the instruction to "protect yourself" from a nuclear blast. It was quite the followup to The Snowman.

My wife's gran survived the explosion in Nagasaki, it was mind boggling to think I actually met somebody who directly experienced what these kind of films shows. I found the museum at Hiroshima extremely upsetting (and then I kept getting asked by groups of Japanese schoolchildren what I thought about war as part of their school trips).

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

4:15-4:17 for burning ET

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i always thought it would be cool to do a movie where king kong and godzilla combine into one and get psychic powers and it is called groddzilla

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Cold War Nuclear War movies kick rear end. Filmmakers literally trying to stop the end of the world is like a different universe from Movie to create Happy Meals and fill Walmart isles.

In high school American history my teacher had us watch the '60s Fail Safe and spend a week talking about it. He also hung a full size CCCP flag in class and he said he got a lot of complaints about it from other adults working there

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

ProperCauldron posted:

Cold War Nuclear War movies kick rear end. Filmmakers literally trying to stop the end of the world is like a different universe from Movie to create Happy Meals and fill Walmart isles.

In high school American history my teacher had us watch the '60s Fail Safe and spend a week talking about it. He also hung a full size CCCP flag in class and he said he got a lot of complaints about it from other adults working there

Every so often I stumble upon a classic movie where I realize while watching it that I recognize various scenes and shots just from cultural osmosis. Fail Safe was a more recent example of this, where I'd seen the final shots of the movie parodied and copied for decades without ever connecting it back to the original source of it until the movie was almost over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxe3NMHRoVA&t=256s

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lexx was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Season 3 has the episode that’s literally just a game of chess, it rules.