Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Agnostalgia posted:

i just want to know where he thought iran was prior to today. africa? mexico?

The middle east is traditionally where it is thought to be, with very little in the way of cultural or historical ties to Japan and China, two countries which are right next to each other on the other side of the world from Iran with a rich, complicated and often violently intertwined history and a large number of shared traditions, a common ancestral language, and so on.

But no, it definitely makes sense to say China, Japan and Iran are exactly the same, but, say, Turkey has nothing in common with a nearby state it shares a majority religion with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

personally, i dont see countries nor continents. just people who all live together and love sweet mother earth xoxo

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
It's Türkiye not Turkey, you turkey!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

billymumphrey posted:

It's Türkiye not Turkey, you turkey!

That's fair, someone please update the red text appropriately

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

The middle east is traditionally where it is thought to be, with very little in the way of cultural or historical ties to Japan and China, two countries which are right next to each other on the other side of the world from Iran with a rich, complicated and often violently intertwined history and a large number of shared traditions, a common ancestral language, and so on.

iran and china are one country apart, and that one country has been part of the same empire as one or both of them multiple times in history, its not like that guys "asian saga" had a book set in toronto

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Oh poo poo after reading this post Iran switched to writing in kanji.

If we're going by actual geology, French people are also "Asian".
If we're going by cultural identity, Iranians aren't.

What seems to be the definition used here is "not white".

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
maybe we should just dig a canal from kiev to st petersburg to solve this asia/europe thing once and for all, like the panama canal did for north/south america

as a bonus, swedes now officially asian! they'll hate that!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Once I make the first movie on Mars, it will bring the Earth together (it's bad)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why did someone watch rebel moon part 2 and why did they think it was okay to write about it after.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm sorry I must be confused, I thought this was the RLM thread, did I take a wrong exit or something?

big man hands purple, fat guy big laugh, twink.

josh.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Why did someone watch rebel moon part 2 and why did they think it was okay to write about it after.

"Pain shared is pain divided."

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

piratepilates posted:

big man hands purple, fat guy big laugh, twink.

thanos, thor, spiderman got it

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

easy read

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

im maddest at this post

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Agnostalgia posted:

iran and china are one country apart, and that one country has been part of the same empire as one or both of them multiple times in history, its not like that guys "asian saga" had a book set in toronto
hey man
that's a really nice point
about the xinjiang autonomous region and historical tibet which weren't historically part of what is now the modern state of china until the dogra-tibetan war during the high qing dynasty and the seventeen points agreement of the friggin 1950's
for a clown to make!!!!! at the circus!!!!!!!

edit: whoops I meant the dzungar-qing wars. how embarrassing

Cubone fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 27, 2024

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Cubone posted:

hey man
that's a really nice point
about the xinjiang autonomous region and historical tibet which weren't historically part of what is now the modern state of china until the dogra-tibetan war during the high qing dynasty and the seventeen points agreement of the friggin 1950's
for a clown to make!!!!! at the circus!!!!!!!

so would an independent xinjiang be in europe or africa then i'm ocnfused

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Agnostalgia posted:

so would an independent xinjiang be in europe or africa then i'm ocnfused
it would be in toronto you clod

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I'm sorry I called you a clod, that is not who I am

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
man colin really is involved in a lot of projects

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe Colin worked on Lexx, I bet he was the one responsible for the tongue bidet in the living toilet on the ship

I watched Threads every night for 3 months continuously and I'm sure it had a positive effect on my mental health

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

colin’s slow reveal over the years that he is an actual canadian vampire who has been watching films in theaters since…well the beginning of moving pictures has been fun. that time someone mentioned return of the jedi and colin just let slip “yeah i took my grandkids to see it in the theater opening night.”

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I seriously thought for a moment that clip of Colin at a screening of The Predator was actually the first movie.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Colin is only 5 years older than r. evans. About the average age of a forums poster probably

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Colin is only 5 years older than r. evans. About the average age of a forums poster probably

you are so gullible

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Which one is Colin again?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Outpost22 posted:

Which one is Colin again?

The one who single handedly created Lexx and the Robocop TV series.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Here is Colin circa 1920, as one of the original founding members of The Group of Seven. He was replaced not long after his inclusion in the group, replaced by Frederick Varley, after his particular artistic talents in sick 3D renders clashed with the groups overall aesthetic of landscape paintings.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cubone posted:

I'm sorry I called you a clod, that is not who I am

Le clod

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Here is Colin circa 1920, as one of the original founding members of The Group of Seven. He was replaced not long after his inclusion in the group, replaced by Frederick Varley, after his particular artistic talents in sick 3D renders clashed with the groups overall aesthetic of landscape paintings.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I wonder what neil breen thinks his hair looks like

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Cubone posted:

I wonder what neil breen thinks his hair looks like

at this point? like it has a permanent slight green reflection on it

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LanceHunter posted:

Going to see this tomorrow, mostly because I'm a fan of Theda Hammel's work. This trailer makes it look pretty terrible, but I'm holding out hope that it won't seem like a callback to 2000s-era IFC Originals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaaZ8d0S5BA

Holy poo poo, y'all. This was actually pretty damned good. It's definitely an indie, and the writer/director was clearly working through some poo poo and had some axes to grind, but the movie really sticks with you. So yeah, if you're in one of the 5 cities where it is playing I recommend checking it out. (Or, more realistically, watch it in 3-4 weeks when it's on VOD.)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just watched Infested. Nice silly, creepy spider movie. Not a huge genre, but probably the best since Arachnophobia. The conceit of what is happening with the spiders is essentially sci-fi, but presented as "fact" in the movie, but other than that I really liked it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

kalel posted:

I'm glad, I saw a promo a while back before another movie and it looked like total poo poo

Lol whatever kind of movie you think it is, it's not that

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Hackers film 1995 posted:

people always talk about the movie Threads as this important “horror” movie or “super depressing” movie of note so i watched it last night. the whole time i just kept thinking that the movie was interesting and of note but not doing it for me. maybe it was too cheap looking or maybe everyone was just way too british. but then honestly i had trouble falling asleep haha.

i do like a movie that pretends to be real (im like mike in that way. i also have giant purple hands) and the interstitial cards in between scenes were effective enough to not have the stupid random, out of place narration.

Off topic but what amuses me about Threads is how amazingly out of fashion and touch Britain is comparatively to the rest of the world during that time period. It's 1984 but everyone and everything looks like it's the 1950s. Britain is a joke basically.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

when the wind blows is the superior british nuclear war movie anyway

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

The whole sequence of the bomb dropping on Sheffield, chaos erupting, power systems collapsing and people just vanishing never to be seen again is so well edited, I'm having a hard time thinking of an apocalyptic sequence I've seen since watching Threads that filled me with such a stomach turning sense of dread

e: here it is :nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5sVzS3itqY

probably a result of budget limitations but this seems wildly optimistic for a nuclear exchange

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

probably a result of budget limitations but this seems wildly optimistic for a nuclear exchange

We all think Sheffield would be better off being destroyed in nuclear hellfire but it's very gauche to just come out and say it.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
You've never thought that in your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Meat Wagon posted:

You've never thought that in your life

Sure, but pose the question...