Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yeah never gonna watch it.

Hey in Star Wars episode 8, the last Jedi, what’s the deal with the big alien guy smoke? He was killed totally unceremoniously by Adam driver, but like, why? And what does that mean for the plot going forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

*panicked, waving my rifle around erratically*

Charlie is in the trees! They're everywhere! We're surrounded!

Lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it's a new video, by our friend red letter media

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I probably won't bother with Late night with the Devil, but I do want to see Ghostwatch now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Charlie don't surf"

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

bitterandtwisted posted:

I probably won't bother with Late night with the Devil, but I do want to see Ghostwatch now.

i liked ghostwatch. its fun towatch it a 2nd time with a “guide” so you know which timestamps to go to to see what you missed in the background

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

it's a new video, by our friend red letter media

Be the change you want to see in the world. How do you feel about the new Half in the Bag?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

PostNouveau posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world. How do you feel about the new Half in the Bag?
well I was going to say something about mike perpetuating the myth of widespread panic over the war of the worlds broadcast but now it'd look like I'm doing it because you told me to. gently caress yiu dad. I'm an adult

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

well I was going to say something about mike perpetuating the myth of widespread panic over the war of the worlds broadcast but now it'd look like I'm doing it because you told me to. gently caress yiu dad. I'm an adult

I'm sensing some transference here. What is it about Mike Stoklasa that brings up these feelings about your father?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

PostNouveau posted:

I'm sensing some transference here. What is it about Mike Stoklasa that brings up these feelings about your father?

lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

jay mentioned the wnuf halloween special and said "quick cuts" within a minute of each other

I clapped. I clapped when I saw it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

poo poo, that's a good joke. gently caress you (affectionate)

Cubone fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 27, 2024

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ghostwatch is a classic

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Hmm, my father likes Star Trek and to drink also...

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I'm a little surprised Jay edited this episode

because when Mike said something about "a small amount of weirdos" it cut to an extremely tight still shot of Jay's face and that's a very Mike joke

the way that the overlayed footage was matched to whatever point someone was making did have a very Jay flavor to it though

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I've got no interest in this movie they're talking about
It wasn't fun at all and the AI poo poo just makes it worse

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

LanceHunter posted:

Holy poo poo, y'all. This was actually pretty damned good. It's definitely an indie, and the writer/director was clearly working through some poo poo and had some axes to grind, but the movie really sticks with you. So yeah, if you're in one of the 5 cities where it is playing I recommend checking it out. (Or, more realistically, watch it in 3-4 weeks when it's on VOD.)

I heard an interview with the chick who made the movie, she said there was a scene with a bunch of twinks in the background but in post production their dialogue didn't sound how they wanted so they got a bunch of trans women to dub over them, and now she's worried she's going to be canceled for literally erasing gay voices.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

poisonpill posted:

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I've got no interest in this movie they're talking about

Holy poo poo theyre so detached and above it all. What fuckin cool guys these are. Epic greatness here

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

ProperCauldron posted:

Holy poo poo theyre so detached and above it all. What fuckin cool guys these are. Epic greatness here

well im cool and i watched it so :smug:

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I saw Late Night with the Devil in the theater. I thought it was pretty good

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I have not watched the video yet, but do they mention how the movie has what feels like 10 production logos before it starts. It was insane

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ProperCauldron posted:

I know it looks easy when you watch the tape, but what you're not seeing is the prep work.

You don't see the waking up at 6 am and watch a BotW for the fifth time.

You don't see the listening to the episodes of Colin's podcast about making Season 2 of Lexx.

You don't see the memorizing the deep lore you can only get from Hour 3 of a Previously Recorded X-Com Twitch stream.

It's hard, man, it's hard.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

You don't see the memorizing the deep lore you can only get from Hour 3 of a Previously Recorded X-Com Twitch stream.

Deep lore for the lazy: Rich isn’t very good at his favorite video game

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

henkman posted:

I have not watched the video yet, but do they mention how the movie has what feels like 10 production logos before it starts. It was insane

They did mention this, yes

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just watched the new hitb and it went completely in one ear and out the other. I don't remember anything about the review or the movie after finishing it. Is this what mike dementia is like? Or was the episode just dry.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lister posted:

I just watched the new hitb and it went completely in one ear and out the other. I don't remember anything about the review or the movie after finishing it. Is this what mike dementia is like? Or was the episode just dry.

This Half in the Bag was made by real people with real effort and you just tossed it aside like this, how could you :negative:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
lexx owns. back when it was still airing my girlfriend and I would download different episodes off kazaa or whatever and swap cd-rs, effectively doubling our download speed right??

they mostly had German subtitles. I used to know how to say "as you command, stan" in German because of that.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

ProperCauldron posted:

:lol:
I don’t think you “get” this thread

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

They did mention this, yes

Thank you

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Found footage movie where the boys mostly spend the review complaining it was not committed enough to the found footage format is pretty old hat around these parts. There are probably a dozen such across the corpus

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I finally sat down and watched the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven since it’s been recommended over and over again itt. I saw the theatrical version years ago on TV and wasn’t a big fan. This cut is definitely a huge improvement, since it leaves space for a lot of the plot points and relationships to be fleshed out. It’s also an undeniably beautiful film.

But, the characters and setting still never really click for me. There are a lot of underwritten and somewhat dumb aspects to the script (no one thinks to dig a loving well before Orlando Bloom shows up), but more than that I find the way it’s shot and edited to be very jarring. There’s way too many random quick cuts, even in smaller dialogue scenes that take you out of the film. There are gorgeous sets and outdoor environments, but the film seldom gives you a chance to take them all in before it cuts to a different tight angle.

The same also goes for the plot, short scenes just sort of unfold one after the other without flow for large potions of the middle of the film. Characters disappear and randomly reappear for no apparent reason. In one stretch the bad guy baron skulks in a hallway playing with his sword, then draws it on a random person, then has sex with some random lady. Orlando Bloom sort of wanders around the desert while random people come upon him, instead of just going back to his estate.

I enjoyed the film’s visual spectacle and I am glad that I gave it another try, but it still didn’t really click with me on an emotional level. It’s too chopped up and unsure of what it’s trying to say. As cheesy as some aspects of Galdiator are, I still think it’s a much better film.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

poisonpill posted:

Hey in Star Wars episode 8, the last Jedi, what’s the deal with the big alien guy smoke? He was killed totally unceremoniously by Adam driver, but like, why? And what does that mean for the plot going forward?

It's OK, Palpatine buys Snokes by the case.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

colonelwest posted:

I finally sat down and watched the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven since it’s been recommended over and over again itt. I saw the theatrical version years ago on TV and wasn’t a big fan. This cut is definitely a huge improvement, since it leaves space for a lot of the plot points and relationships to be fleshed out. It’s also an undeniably beautiful film.

But, the characters and setting still never really click for me. There are a lot of underwritten and somewhat dumb aspects to the script (no one thinks to dig a loving well before Orlando Bloom shows up), but more than that I find the way it’s shot and edited to be very jarring. There’s way too many random quick cuts, even in smaller dialogue scenes that take you out of the film. There are gorgeous sets and outdoor environments, but the film seldom gives you a chance to take them all in before it cuts to a different tight angle.

The same also goes for the plot, short scenes just sort of unfold one after the other without flow for large potions of the middle of the film. Characters disappear and randomly reappear for no apparent reason. In one stretch the bad guy baron skulks in a hallway playing with his sword, then draws it on a random person, then has sex with some random lady. Orlando Bloom sort of wanders around the desert while random people come upon him, instead of just going back to his estate.

I enjoyed the film’s visual spectacle and I am glad that I gave it another try, but it still didn’t really click with me on an emotional level. It’s too chopped up and unsure of what it’s trying to say. As cheesy as some aspects of Galdiator are, I still think it’s a much better film.

People suddenly got very thirsty when Orlando Bloom showed up?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

One last thing that irks me about Kingdom of Heaven is that the look of the landscapes is way off. They make Palestine look like a giant wasteland that you can’t believe anyone lives in or would ever bother fighting over, because they filmed in the Sahara desert in Southern Morroco.

The Israeli countyside looks like this, Ridley Scott you loving hack!

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 28, 2024

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

A lot of people throwing poo poo at Battlestar Galactica earlier in the thread and here I am, the BSG defender.

It was an early "prestige TV" show in that it had an on-going arc and some world class actors but still 20 episode seasons.

A lot of people say seasons 3 and 4 sucked. And yeah a lot of it did. But what I think BSG did so well compared to almost any other show as that it maintained the level of excellent direction, acting, editing, and especially music throughout the whole thing. As a visual medium those count for a lot even when the writing is, well, not exactly awful but like squeezing blood out of a rock. gently caress yall, BSG is very good. Even at the last episode when the plot has been splitting apart like a low gravity noodle soup, the character moments of each of them saying good bye are some of the best I've been in TV.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I googled self sealing stem bolt when they said it, assuming it was either some actual tool or just complete nonsense

don't know how I didn't consider option c, it's some star trek bullshit

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TIP posted:

I googled self sealing stem bolt when they said it, assuming it was either some actual tool or just complete nonsense

don't know how I didn't consider option c, it's some star trek bullshit

There's a whole episode where Jake and Nog do an RPG style trading quest that involves them.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I love how DS9 never explained what self-sealing stem bolts even do.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TuxedoOrca posted:

I feel like one could assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TuxedoOrca posted:

Yeah, and what the gently caress does a plasma conduit do?