Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Civil War was fine, it ignoring the actual politics of the war is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I've been rewatching older Best of the Worst and I miss Jessi :smith:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

colonelwest posted:

I get not wanting to wade into America’s terrible politics and make the reasons behind the war “something something Orange Man”, but then maybe don’t make a movie about a second American Civil War. It a huge cop out and just boring to have civil war that features no discernible political goals.

I mean not everything needs deep or real world politics. “It would be fun if machine guns and poo poo in American landmarks or whatever. Also the political message will be ‘woah like, we shouldn’t be so divided’ or something” is totally fine for a movie.

Froghammer posted:

I've been rewatching older Best of the Worst and I miss Jessi :smith:

Jessi and Rich going loving ballistic when Shoji Tabuchi appears is just magical

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

colonelwest posted:

I get not wanting to wade into America’s terrible politics and make the reasons behind the war “something something Orange Man”, but then maybe don’t make a movie about a second American Civil War. It a huge cop out and just boring to have civil war that features no discernible political goals.

Hand-waving the politics could have made sense like 40 years ago or something if you wanted to narrow the focus for artistic reasons, but yeah once you get the right-wing militia stuff rising in the 90s it becomes impossible to ignore the politics, and its only gotten worse since then.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah Civil War had zero things to say about rightwing nationalists lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's seriously one line about Kirsten Dunst's character getting a career in war photography because she took a picture of "the Antifa massacre" that went viral, but nothing beyond that. You have no idea why the different factions are the way they are or why they're fighting each other. This could have been easily explained in a title card at the very beginning.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Just tell me if the Texifornian Empire wins or not

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
my lib dad thought Civil War was chilling and the evil president was definitely Donald trump even though they couldn't say that

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

We have the technology. The civil war bluray should make you take a short quiz before it plays, where you answer what policies or politicians you like/dislike. The movie will then have different audio where the good characters will all agree with the viewer and the bad characters won’t.

Finally an actual advancement in cinema

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
since i've only seen the twitter rip is the ending where one of the journalist demands a quote from the president cowering on the floor of the oval office right before his summary execution real

because lmao

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

henkman posted:

Civil War was fine, it ignoring the actual politics of the war is fine

Gutcruncher posted:

Also the political message will be ‘woah like, we shouldn’t be so divided’ or something” is totally fine for a movie.

no it isn't you knuckle-dragging evolutionary dead ends. not for a movie that positions itself as gritty and realistic, that deliberately utilizes the markers of online political extremists in its marketing. if you're going to make a movie about society collapsing and drain it of any connection to the real world, it needs to be a farce. the lead should be played by a known comic actor and the violence should be played for laughs. civil war should have been written by tim burton and directed by roland emmerich.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I probably would have watched that

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

kalel posted:

no it isn't you knuckle-dragging evolutionary dead ends. not for a movie that positions itself as gritty and realistic, that deliberately utilizes the markers of online political extremists in its marketing. if you're going to make a movie about society collapsing and drain it of any connection to the real world, it needs to be a farce. the lead should be played by a known comic actor and the violence should be played for laughs. civil war should have been written by tim burton and directed by roland emmerich.

Danny Elfman score and you've got me.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

kalel posted:

There’s room in the world for actual political drama and for “woah machine guns and splosions with a kinda real world coat of paint wowee!”

With that said yeah I’d watch the gently caress out of Tim Burton and Roland Emmerich’s civil war

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

"I want to make a movie about how the nuances of political discourse from both sides tends to fall by the wayside once real war breaks out, and to show how people tend to reprioritize what's important when their life is on the line. I will show this by not having my characters espouse their politics and instead have them stay focused on their noble jobs of and recording these unprecedented times for posterity."

Kalel: NO!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Raskolnikov38 posted:

since i've only seen the twitter rip is the ending where one of the journalist demands a quote from the president cowering on the floor of the oval office right before his summary execution real

because lmao
Yep lol

The end credits play over a picture of the dead President with the soldiers who killed him standing around him smiling

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

Yep lol

The end credits play over a picture of the dead President with the soldiers who killed him standing around him smiling

Okay im seeing this in imax asap

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
between that and the hilariously stupid death of one of the journalists moments before they capture the president makes civil war seem like terrific schlock

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the more I hear about civil war the more it sounds like a Neil Breen joint

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Canadian money is worth more than the USD and that's how you know that Civil War is a fantasy movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the more I hear about civil war the more it sounds like a Neil Breen joint
Neil Breen joints are actually funny though

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Isn't Civil war the one where Ant Man got really big and punched an airplane or something?

Was it really also Air Force One? Oh man I didn't know Ant Man had the balls to do THAT!!!!!!!!!

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The civil war movie poster showed a sniper nest in the torch of the statue of liberty, which would be a terrible sniper position. Just pure incompetence on behalf of the marketing team.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

Neil Breen joints are actually funny though

it's like lynch's dune where they didn't give him final cut and everything's hosed

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i hope the guns n roses song plays over the credits because its poo poo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

jeeves posted:

Isn't Civil war the one where Ant Man got really big and punched an airplane or something?

Was it really also Air Force One? Oh man I didn't know Ant Man had the balls to do THAT!!!!!!!!!

lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

kalel posted:

sure okay posted:

"I want to make a movie about how the nuances of political discourse from both sides tends to fall by the wayside once real war breaks out, and to show how people tend to reprioritize what's important when their life is on the line. I will show this by not having my characters espouse their politics and instead have them stay focused on their noble jobs of and recording these unprecedented times for posterity."

Kalel: NO!
you are both just explaining why the purge sequels kick so much rear end

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/worldofreel/status/1780408929597419857

Raimi's Spider-man movies are just ok, and he hasn't made a particularly interesting movie in over 20 years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

khwarezm posted:

https://twitter.com/worldofreel/status/1780408929597419857

Raimi's Spider-man movies are just ok, and he hasn't made a particularly interesting movie in over 20 years.
I would count Raimi's Spider-Man movies as some of the best comic book movies ever made, especially 1 and 2. 3 isn't nearly as good, but it's still more enjoyable to me than the majority of MCU poo poo.

Although I don't know how I feel about him directing a new one with Tom Holland. His Doctor Strange movie from a couple years ago was just okay at best.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Rageaholic posted:

I would count Raimi's Spider-Man movies as some of the best comic book movies ever made, especially 1 and 2. 3 isn't nearly as good, but it's still more enjoyable to me than the majority of MCU poo poo.

Although I don't know how I feel about him directing a new one with Tom Holland. His Doctor Strange movie from a couple years ago was just okay at best.

I know everybody talks about his first two Spiderman movies as classics nowadays but I've always felt they are mostly held up by great, scenery chewing performances for the villains and some of the side characters, along with with Raimi's characteristic visual verve that works well for a comic book movie, but they always fall down for me regardless because I think the main trio are just really bad interpretations of Peter Parker, MJ and Harry Osborn.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Sam Raimi getting another spider man sounds like amazing news, but this isn’t 2002. Will his leash be too tight in the modern superhero landscape?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

khwarezm posted:

I know everybody talks about his first two Spiderman movies as classics nowadays but I've always felt they are mostly held up by great, scenery chewing performances for the villains and some of the side characters, along with with Raimi's characteristic visual verve that works well for a comic book movie, but they always fall down for me regardless because I think the main trio are just really bad interpretations of Peter Parker, MJ and Harry Osborn.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Civil War sounds like radical centrism.

American centrism, mind you. The kind that's actually right wing because it doesn't speak against the side itching for all sorts of bombings and genocides.

khwarezm posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cubone posted:

you are both just explaining why the purge sequels kick so much rear end

Anarchy and Election Year both rock. I didn't like The First Purge very much and I haven't seen Forever Purge yet.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

kalel posted:

I imagined it would be like far cry 5 and be cowards and not actually say anything somehow

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
Sam Raimi’s original Spider-Man movie is the film that made me actively avoid all Spider-Man media. It also probably contributed to me avoiding superhero films in general (unless they can be viewed from a “trash sci-fi adventure” aspect, like Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
They don't really hold a special place for me, but the Raimi Spiderman movies are the most comic book movies that ever comic booked. Whether you like that or not is absolutely up to preference.

That said, Darkman is his best comic book movie and It's not even close.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they should start adapting fetish comics. let's see the Crumb Universe of Movies

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

kalel posted:

they should start adapting fetish comics.

It’s called Anime, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

It’s called Anime, OP

they only cover fetishes that get you arrested irl