Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Kingo Ligma posted:

This is actually a pretty common misconception. Michaelangelo (no relation) took on the Sistine chapel purely for money and job security. He found the commission artistically dubious and bridled at the constraints placed on him by the church. He then didn't even get paid properly.

What I'm saying is Michaelangelo (no relation) is the pioneer who forged the template for the promising indie director who gets hired to make a marvel movie.

Ya was going to say.

It’s fun hearing about them being inspired by god or whatever when in most cases they were just doing a gig or earning room and board for those with money at the time (kings, lords, and churches)

Tho occasionally you’d get those unknowingly driven insane by paint chemicals who made something revolutionary in between getting drunk and stabbing people. The true rockstars, as it were.

Durf fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Turns out she was totally justified in wanting to skin more than one hundred puppies alive.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My favorite part of Pinocchio is when he escapes being turned into a donkey and then a dove drops a magical letter of exposition on him which explains "btw Gepetto went on a big adventure looking for you and he got eaten by a whale named Monstro, go find him"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

i also just stand around next to cliffsides waiting for a dog ro jumpkick me

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked that og Maleficent put a death curse on a baby just because she was snubbed at a party

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

bitterandtwisted posted:

I liked that og Maleficent put a death curse on a baby just because she was snubbed at a party

Women!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

Turns out she was totally justified in wanting to skin more than one hundred puppies alive.

dalmatians are little assholes though

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I watched Cruella at a drive-in, so I wondered if maybe it wasn't quite dark enough outside so the movie looked weird. I checked it out again when it hit home video, and nope, it's just lit really loving bad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gutcruncher posted:

If I had a Time Machine I’d prevent maleficent and the jungle book remake. The inciting events of the worst crimes in history

All these live action remakes would be fine if they just included a post credits-scene where Angelina Jolie's character from Maleficent approached the villain from the movie and said "I'd like to talk to you about the Kingdom Hearts initiative..."

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

mossyfisk posted:

Peter Pan Goes Wrong is a lot of fun, plus it has David Suchet (playing David Suchet).

so good, RIP their tv show :smith:

maybe it interfered with their theatre show schedule or something, but it should have run for 50 years dangit.

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gripweed posted:

All these live action remakes would be fine if they just included a post credits-scene where Angelina Jolie's character from Maleficent approached the villain from the movie and said "I'd like to talk to you about the Kingdom Hearts initiative..."

I want them to pull a Clifford and just dress grown up bearded Haley Joel Osment as child Sora

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

This is especially funny because Cruella should really be seeking revenge on their owners but lmao at getting mad at the simple creatures themselves.

And not just all dogs but a specific breed of dogs, like some kind of dog racist.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It’s not enough that she’s just a psycho bitch who is wayyyy into fashion and thinks Dalmatian puppies would make a faaabulous outfit. She has to have a tragic backstory that connects her childhood trauma to that specific breed of dog. It’s like an AI wrote it.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
10 years ago....

https://www.indiewire.com/features/commentary/star-wars-the-force-awakens-cast-photo-10-years-ago-1234978746/

Lol, lmao. Remember being hopeful for new star wars. JJ is such a lovely lazy hack

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

ProperCauldron posted:

Remember being hopeful for new star wars.

not since 1999

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ProperCauldron posted:

10 years ago....

https://www.indiewire.com/features/commentary/star-wars-the-force-awakens-cast-photo-10-years-ago-1234978746/

Lol, lmao. Remember being hopeful for new star wars. JJ is such a lovely lazy hack

I'm so glad they invented color film in time for The Force Awakens

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

all of his films are overrated self-indulgent trash, but drat it if I don't wake up every day and thank god that rian johnson killed star wars

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ProperCauldron posted:

10 years ago....

That trailer with Han and Chewie was pretty awesome. I think the Sequels peaked right then with that trailer release.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I mean drat, I just got fired up watching it again even knowing what I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Even if you don't watch the clip, everyone should see that thumbnail lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBGBuzpQRjo

I got attacked by a dalmatian as a kid, I don't really remember it but I assume it is why I am indifferent to dogs. Nothing weird about the thumbnail lol

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Disney got really obsessed with giving all their villains the Wicked treatment because there is an almost single circle Venn diagram of Disney adults and Wicked fans. Cruella can't just be an evil woman who wants to skin adorable dogs, she has to be this tortured girl boss who bootstrapped herself up into the world of high fashion. Maleficent was explicitly inspired by Wicked too, since it was conceived when it got big on Broadway. Not to mention they're hellbent on making live action versions of their movies, most likely for the Chinese market that has very little exposure to Disney films.

The whole Wicked thing is even crazier when you consider how Walt Disney had desperately wanted the Wizard of Oz to be a Disney thing but MGM beat them to it. They kept trying to get an Oz vehicle going for almost a century and failed, the last one being Oz the Great and Powerful. They apparently wanted it to be their "boys" franchise but it bombed so hard they just went and bought Marvel. I know Disney is hellbent on owning all media and has been for a bit but it would not surprise me at all if that theory came out to be true.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I liked maleficent, it was a fun way to “remake” sleeping beauty. But the horrors it has brought to the pop culture landscape cannot be forgiven. It just be destroyed.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The craziest thing about Wicked is that in the book she dies at the end (just like in The Wizard of Oz movie), misunderstood and a victim of a fascist state. In the musical I understand she survives with a happy ending and girlpower ensues for all, which is I Am Legend-levels of missing the point.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love Wicked for revealing the truth: Glinda is the Bad Guy!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Never seen Wicked so I'm actually looking forward to that movie so I can finally see what all the fuss is about.

Hopefully it's not as horrendously disappointing as when Hamilton hit Disney+. I kept thinking about all those inner city kids who got gifted tickets by guilty rich libs. I'd think a 13-year-old would find it the corniest poo poo they'd ever seen in their life.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I remember being ecstatic that Lucas sold out since it was such a surprise. I saw The People vs George Lucas and everybody thought he was going to say "these are my characters and nobody else can say what they should be except for me" until he died. The best outcome might have been passing lucasfilm onto his children, but I guess none of them had any interest in film making.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
well a hip, a hop, a hippity hop
once the constitutional convention starts it don't stop
and after all the beer's been binged
we'll write up how the right to bear arms can't be infringed
we got jack and henny to chug herewith
but if you're not white you only get three fifths

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 30, 2024

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Hamilton is truly the Sound of Freedom of its day

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

And my flying monkies too!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The most insulting part of Hamilton was not the lovely flow of the rapping, but the final song where Hamilton's wife just read her Wikipedia page onstage.

quote:

I put myself back in the narrative
(Eliza)
I stop wasting time on tears
I live another 50 years
It's not enough (Eliza)
I interview every soldier who fought by your side
(She tells our story)
I try to make sense of your thousands of pages of writings
You really do write like you're running out of time
I rely on Angelica
While she's alive, we tell your story
She is buried in Trinity Church near you
When I needed her most, she was right on time
And I'm still not through
I ask myself, what would you do if you had more time
The Lord, in his kindness
He gives me what you always wanted
He gives me more time
I raise funds in D.C. for the Washington Monument
(She tells my story)
I speak out against slavery
You could have done so much more if you only had time
And when my time is up, have I done enough?
Will they tell your story?
Oh, can I show you what I'm proudest of?
(The orphanage)
I established the first private orphanage in New York City
(The orphanage)
I help to raise hundreds of children
I get to see them growing up

How loving lazy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

First private orphanage?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

First private orphanage?

Can't let those freeloading orphans have it too good

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Lister posted:

I remember being ecstatic that Lucas sold out since it was such a surprise. I saw The People vs George Lucas and everybody thought he was going to say "these are my characters and nobody else can say what they should be except for me" until he died. The best outcome might have been passing lucasfilm onto his children, but I guess none of them had any interest in film making.

who could have known that disney would make lovely sequels of something

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Hamilton was like a South Park parody of a bad musical written by a history teacher. “It’s a race-reversed historical period piece with lovely hip hop where all the characters tell you their bios”

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

want to hear the epic rap battle of john adams/thomas jefferson versus the slaves that were forced to construct the white house. the slaves are the clear winners but they still have to build the thing because, well you know

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

poisonpill posted:

Hamilton was like a South Park parody of a bad musical written by a history teacher. “It’s a race-reversed historical period piece with lovely hip hop where all the characters tell you their bios”

also the Book of Mormon was pretty good.

Maybe it hasnt aged well I dunno I don't remember more than 6 concurrent seconds of it.

but I remember a healthy amount of heeing and hawing

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Gutcruncher posted:

It’s not enough that she’s just a psycho bitch who is wayyyy into fashion and thinks Dalmatian puppies would make a faaabulous outfit. She has to have a tragic backstory that connects her childhood trauma to that specific breed of dog. It’s like an AI wrote it.

It's way worse than AI, it's like a psychopath nepobaby who lived entirely inside a system where people would use the flimsiest justification for committing the cruelest acts possible while feeling self righteous wrote it.

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I forced a girl i like to watch the first ep of Knuckles, did you know its based on an old boomer game called Sonic the Hedgehog? Ive done an interesting thing you might really like, and created my own "original character" that lives in their universe. His name is Acid Raine and he is half mastadon and half hedgehog and also a vampire but he drinks the twinkles from stars.
Anyway i started jumping on the couch singing SHOOTING AT THE WALLS OF HEARTACHE! BANG! BANG! and shooting finger guns in the air when she walked out the door and now wont answer my calls oh well more of the awesome world of Knuckles for me to enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SeenYourPoopypants posted:

Ive done an interesting thing you might really like, and created my own "original character" that lives in their universe. His name is Acid Raine and he is half mastadon and half hedgehog and also a vampire but he drinks the twinkles from stars.

What's the dick like?