Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Jurassic Park is one of my favorite films.
It's also one where the morals aren't what they think it is and the basic premise is thus kind of nonsense.

No one dies because nature found a way. Even if the dinosaurs started breeding, so what? They could correct that. People die because of Nedry's deliberate act of sabotage. The only reason anything bad happens in Jurassic Park is because a greedy rear end in a top hat deliberately sabotaged the park. Capitalism is why we cannot have nice things is the movie's actual message.

And "nature finds a way" only makes sense if you forget agriculture and animal husbandry exist. Like the basic premise of the supposed cautionary tale only works if you, you know, forget that civilization exists.

It's a testament to how good the film is that it works in spite of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PostNouveau posted:

He shot a man in Reno just to watch him die, so probably also not getting many calls these days

Whomst among us

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I adore Mars Attacks! and that and to a much lesser extent Independence Day are the only two movie takes where I not only vehemently disagree with the boys, but honestly cannot even really see where they are coming from with their arguments.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

No Mods No Masters posted:

We've finally found him, the one living human who understands where the boys were coming from regarding event horizon

Oh god I forgot about that one. Okay three takes of theirs.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

kalel posted:

what's the difference between a jj abrams mystery box and something like twin peaks? how did lynch succeed where so many of his imitators failed

Lynch is not presenting the audience with mystery boxes. His films are not mysteries or puzzles to be solved, generally speaking. They are about vibes and feelings and making you feel a certain way and evoking a mood. The plot in his works is generally something that serves as a vehicle to bring the audience to a certain place, not as something to be engaged with directly, per se. Like all the people who try and explain his stuff generally miss the point hard. They're not something you "solve" they're something you experience. They're all about inducing feelings and emotions.

Abrams and his ilk the opposite. No meaning, no vibes, no emotions, just an endless series of ill-conceived puzzles to be solved.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Keromaru5 posted:

I actually think Lynch is generally dealing with mystery, but more in the original Greek sense, which is basically exactly what you just described: an experience that defies rational explanation. Part of what makes Twin Peaks interesting is that it sets itself up as one type of mystery, then reveals itself as the other.

Yeah, well said.
Just always bothers me when people try to "solve" his movies. Like, no, that's not the point. Lynch is, in many ways, extremely unsubtle and on-the-nose as a filmmaker. He's very upfront. People just tend to overthink things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

counterfeitsaint posted:

there hasn't been a decent King Arthur movie in NULL.

Excalibur is loving fantastic though?