Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I just want to take this time to respond to the poster who, near the end of last thread, made the erroneous claim that “Ds get degrees”. Ds do NOT get degrees. Not even at junior college. Probably not even at clown or hamburger college. Please don’t start this new year by slacking off and getting Ds because an elderly man or woman in the old folks thread told you it was ok, young people. Strive for Cs, the grade of champions.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Gripweed posted:

As are easy if you try a bit.

Don’t listen to this person. I graduated Manga Yum Laude from Taco John’s Tacollege, and it was the most grueling two weeks of my life.
—-

Finally watched Beef and it was loving great! Netflix needs to get their auto play previews sorted; I waited so long to check it out because the platform tried to entice me with a random goddamn clip of a couple being lovely to each other in an art gallery, which made me think it was a yuppie version of You’re the Worst. They did the same thing with May December too. Just play the trailer, not a thirty second clip apparently picked at random from the show, how is that hard?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I don’t know about you, but I’m stoked for the gritty soft reboot The Garfield, and also the Bad Boys tetraquel.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

do either of the bad boys possess a unique superpower that could lead to fun action sequences?

The youngest bad boy is now 55, so I guess their super power is Reverse Benjamin Button syndrome.

And while I’m on the subject, what about this band Sonic Youth? Have you heard about this? Have you seen this? I hear Thurston Moore was considering reforming the band as Sonic Youth Get Off My Lawn!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

redshirt posted:

Sonic AARP

Based on what I’ve heard about old folk homes, Kim Gordon’s libido is now probably considered a little lacking by people in her age cohort.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

It buzzes me out real bad every time I remember Kim Gordon is older than me mum.

Mine too. As a teenager I thought of them as being cool kids recently out of college, when in reality the doctor was probably telling Kim it was time to consider freezing some of her eggs.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I'd like to believe there will be a burgeoning market for flea market t-shirts of Steamboat Willie doing his own version of the Pissin' Calvin, and he will be used to voice displeasure over the most random stuff. If I ever see a t-shirt of Steamboat Willie in a crouching position making GBS threads on the 95-Theses while saying "Get real or go to hell!" it'll definitely be a fun day for me.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

All the streaming platforms just 69ing each other in an infinite loop so everyone’s movies and cash are running in a perfect uroboros

And then they all go bankrupt.

Daisychaining on the deck of the Titanic until you sell the streaming rights to Titanic and are forced to move to the deck of Asylum’s Titanic II.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

The Curse is one of the best TV shows currently airing and Benny Safdie is incredible in it, yeah.

It’s so good. Episode nine his Paramount tomorrow and I have no clue where it’s going.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

The Holdovers is on Peacock. I was *this* close to paying the ridiculous rental fee to see it last week, glad I waited. It’s extremely good.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Crescent Wrench posted:

I guess you do have to consider him secondary to Joaquin in The Master, but that's my favorite PT Anderson film, my favorite PSH film, and a personal hall-of-famer overall. I'd endorse the prior recommendations for Synecdoche, New York (this one in particular), Love Liza, and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. I'd also give mentions to other lead/quasi-lead roles which include A Most Wanted Man (straight up lead), The Savages (perhaps co-lead with Laura Linney), and Flawless (arguably second to De Niro but he got at least one award nom for lead although this one isn't as good as the others).

Hoffman’s delivery of the line “You PIG gently caress!!!” occasionally enters into my thoughts at random because of that movie. Tremendous performance, tremendous film. He is definitely not second banana to Joaquin in that. It’s practically a love story, they share top billing imo.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I just finished Paul T Goldman, the new show by Jason Woliner, and man was that weird. It’s a six episode docuseries about… uh, a born-divorced guy who… believes he has uncovered some terrible truths about his latest ex. Can’t say too much without spoiling it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

billymumphrey posted:

Really? I've seen the trailers before most of the movies I'v seen recently, and it looks pretty hokey/rubbish

It’s not hokey exactly, but it is very writerly and is a deliberate (successful) attempt to recreate the look and feel of a mildly quirky 70s coming of age comedic drama. The story isn’t trying to take any chances and the writer definitely wants you to congratulate them on their handsomely assembled sentences; quickly into your airing you’ll figure out if you find that to be cozy or obnoxious. I thought it was a great example of its type and it put me in a Christmassy mood two weeks too late.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

billymumphrey posted:

Yeah. I think is the moment in the trailer where my eyes rolled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhKLpJmHhIg&t=57s

May have to reevaluate.

Seems like whoever made that trailer was trying their damndest to zhuzh up a fairly sedate, deliberately paced movie and instead made it look like complete dog poo poo.

E: that trailer is actually why I was so hesitant to fork over the money to rent. I was like “I like Alexander Payne, and the concept on paper sounds good, but this looks like an inexplicably big budget Hallmark Channel Movie.”

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 7, 2024

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I love too get big time horny in the theater and and announce my big boner to all ther other patrons

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

What are the iconic asses of all the other streaming platforms?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Stupid sexy Disney+

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

poisonpill posted:

Get me a girl with a Dreamworks face and a Pixar rear end

Face of Oscar from Shark Tale, body of, I dunno, the lamp?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Watched that movie Saltburn. Good performances and a solid concept, but it felt really flabby, like, almost every dramatic or “cool” scene needed some pruning because they all went on too long. The entire final bit, where Oliver reveals how he orchestrated all the bad poo poo that happened felt like it was left over from another script where it wasn’t patently obvious he was Steerpiking the family from the moment he arrived at Saltburn, and should have gone away entirely.

It’s worth a watch though, and is in my top twenty films where someone sucks cummy water from a tub drain!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

poisonpill posted:

What are the other 19

I don’t have another 19 yet. The one from Saltburn just inspired me to make a top twenty that I will fill out as I encounter more scenes of that nature. I made it on pasteboard. It’s resting on an easel in my living room. It’s already causing a terrible strain on my marriage.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

priznat posted:

Love the mention of steerpiking, love the Ghormenghast books.

Heck yeah! I’ve been thinking recently of doing a reread of the whole trilogy soon.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

priznat posted:

Same, it has been ages and I barely remember bits. Was the adaptation any good? BBC iirc.

I have no idea. I think at the time I assumed the BBC wouldn’t be able to pull off making a believable city sized gothic castle on a television budget so I didn’t bother tracking it down, then I forgot it existed.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

priznat posted:

I remember seeing some shots and it was some pretty decent looking yet inexpensive FX shots using matte paintings etc. but that was ages ago and it might have aged like milk.

I mean, well done matte paintings hold up a lot better than cgi, imo. Recently I was watching The Coneheads, of all things, and was really impressed by some of the matte backgrounds and miniature work. CGI on some new big budget movies don't look as good as fuckin’ Remulak did in a 31 year old SNL movie.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Boy the shitstorm when 8 different polycules find out you're the single shared link a big Venn diagram

ME: *watching with binoculars as several polycules converge at a single point* My god, the perfect shitstorm...
SECURITY OFFICER: Sir, why is what they do any of your business?
ME: I... because... why... why is what is my business any of your business?
SECURITY OFFICER: Yeah, ok, whatever, sir. This is the last time I'm going to ask you to leave FurCon

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Standing in front of a giant corkboard with pins and strings connecting 100 different photos

I'm telling you this guy is loving 150 people a week at least!!!

Peepee Strokula! Peepee Strokula! I look on Max, this whole streaming platform is Peepee Strokula!
[

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Lister posted:

I didn't see it posted yet but this was from yesterday

It happened again!

Everyone's favorite bearded elderly aunt is back! But what is she wearing? Is that a loving one of a kind Star Trek The Next Generation costume?!? YES!!! Part two of the battle for Eternia is on you freaks! If you're worried about that Data uniform you should be. Mike is nearby with a bottle of beer and a not so pleasant disposition after possibly being beaten by Rich Evans again? Will the drunken, rage-filled moron take out his frustrations on a one of a kind screen used Star Trek costume (and his aunt) ?!? Part two of ten of Star Trek TNG trivia is coming soon!!!!!!!!

Mike’s gonna cheat, chess grandmaster style.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that radiohead cover sucks!!!

probably not worth watching cos netflix will cancel it after 1 season :shrug:

Also looks like they skipped the first two Body Problems.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I think North Ireland should unify with North Korea. And North America. All the Norths should form one power bloc.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

we already did that it's called the northern hemisphere. don't tell anyone but we've been stripping the south of resources for centuries

Oh word? How’s it working out?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

X JAKK posted:

Ah yes, George Carlin, famous for his midwestern accent and defending the NRA from trans people.

I listened to the first half hour and it wasn’t that interesting, or it wasn’t interesting in the way you think. It’s just a computer doing an impersonation of George Carlin being mad about America. I don’t know if it’s because I was never a big Carlin fan (I didn’t dislike him, I just didn’t see much of his standup), or because I’ve been kinda numbed to the horrors of the world by the never ending flood of pessimistic hot takes online, or because it’s just an AI telling me how bad everything is under the guise of a dead man, but it didn’t cause any kind of reaction from me at all. It’s not funny or bad or offensive or fresh or nothin’. I guess that’s interesting.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg29TuWo0Yo

I now feel like he accidentally made this too optimistic, because in it you’re making an eternal digital version of yourself and it can find love. Interacting with real digital avatars is more blandly stupid than existentially troubling.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Alan is very talented, I've long liked his stuff. If nathan fielder is the kwisatz haderach, alan is one of the might have beens

Perfect segue opportunity to remind everyone that I like The Curse, and that the final episode should drop tomorrow. Man, I can’t wait!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

killed 61 billion people

NO EPISODE 10 SPOILERS!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

First of May posted:

I know that, because I'm a brain jenus. I kept waiting for them to drop a hint that he's a total womanizer who broke into all the safes in Los Alamos for fun, but he was a total non-character in the film.

Man, I bet that would drive Feynman up a wall.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Thank god that wasn't the last we'll see of Young Sheldon

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1745853687304495484

Personally I want to see Old Sheldon.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This was a ton of horrifying fun. Thanks!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I don’t know how to feel about the last episode of The Curse. I enjoyed watching it as a thing unto itself, but it sort of felt like a ripoff. Almost like it ended with all the main characters having a shared dream that meant different things to each person, or something, which is fine, but I got no goddamn closure. I dunno. Maybe I’ll love it, or at least get it, later.

Also it sort of seemed like the weird rear end twist was a bit of a joke, based on Asher and Whitney’s reasoning in the moment. The pressure finally got to Asher.

E: ok, the bit about a shared dream sort of lines up with one theme I got from the show, which is that nobody really sees anybody or anything else clearly; we’re essentially seeing distorted reflections of the actual person or event and our minds are the mirror reflecting it imperfectly due to our unique perspectives, which leads to our responses sometimes being very inappropriate. So, Asher thinks it’s the house is causing him to be stuck to the ceiling and directs Whitney to depressurize it, which she complies with since Asher has kind of broken her at this point and she’s fully absorbed in his worldview. Dougie sees Asher abandoning his family like his own deadbeat dad did. The neighbors see a reality show being recorded. Emergency services sees another weirdo doing weird poo poo they need to handle with basic procedures. Etc. Nobody is dealing with this crazy situation properly not just because it’s unprecedented, but also because they can’t see beyond themselves to what’s actually happening. I think that was the point of the story all a long, but I also wanted the ground level narrative and drama resolved a bit better.

E2: and what was up with the show finally explicitly acknowledging that there’s a second film crew? Abshir seems to be in on it. I thought they would do more with it, but nah.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 13, 2024

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Stuart Gordon’s Dreams in the Witch House was pretty fun.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

d00kiemastah posted:

I had a similar experience of really enjoying it moment by moment, but in retrospect I think it could’ve accomplished exactly as much with something like half the episodes. I feel like I can articulate the anxieties that are being shown (very interestingly) scene by scene, but I certainly don’t have a better reckoning of the season as a whole than yours.

Earlier I was talking to a friend about how much I’m enjoying the new season of Fargo, but I just watched Miller’s Crossing yesterday for the first time since I was 20, and there’s just nothing close to the same level of quality and purity of statement. I don’t dislike TV as a medium, but it seems like no ten hour series is ever going to be able to be as perfect as a two hour movie. I think The Curse wouldn’t feel like a rip-off character-wise if it wasn’t such a time investment

I generally agree that shows go on too long, and a lot of good modern shows in the past would have been phenomenal movies instead, but I wonder if this would have been one of the few exceptions to that rule? It’s was trying to take on so many big ideas in such a short timeframe and ended up feeling abridged as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I take it the allegations of plagiarism in season 1 didn’t lead to much given that Pizzolatto remained involved in every season (though it looks like he didn’t write season 4).

Didn’t he just lift some of the lines in one of Rust Cohle’s speeches from a non fiction book about nihilism written by Thomas Ligotti?