Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cubone posted:

*looks at watch* they should probably come up with a title for that. I'd want to come up with a title for it soon, me.

For some reason it was called "Bad Boys: Kang Did Nothing Wrong" so they had to change it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sorry, UKposting is not allowed in this thread

EDIT: unless you count the UK in MilwaUKee

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Tough call between Die Hard 2 and 3. DH2 definitely feels cheapest of all the movies, like it was made for VHS, just complete '80s schlock, though it had a decent budget I suppose. On the other hand DH3 has that really lame twist that makes a lot of the plot completely pointless, and some really forced edgy racial tension. Feels like the original TLJ in a way, a lot of ideas for how to mix things up but no idea how to thread the needle.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I would post the "Torment Nexus" quote, but I guess RPO never really offered a thoughtful critique of its premise other than saying how sick it would be if you could combine a bunch of stuff from the 80s. So I guess this really just tracks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Endless Trash posted:

kalel posted:

worth it just for the balrog scene imo
Never got to see his rear end :(

You shall not rear end!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PostNouveau posted:

lol Golden Globes

I didn't even know they were on, but I'm enjoying the schadenfreude from some clips of this apparently disastrous monologue from some comedian I've never heard of:

https://twitter.com/taylorslavender/status/1744170521883770941

https://twitter.com/SpencerAlthouse/status/1744164455775096860

Like they're not even the worst jokes in the genre of lame award show humor, but the delivery puts them in the realm of negative comedy. No idea how this guy got this or any other gig.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

kalel posted:

really quick: is spielberg's AI worth seeing in a theatre or not. unsure if the lukewarm rating on letterboxd is a "controversial" 3 or a "boring" 3

Absolutely. I count myself among the "the ending ruined it" crowd, but it's still an excellent film in almost every way. And some people are able to reconcile the ending so it's very much YMMV. Worth watching for sure.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Been watching Star Trek original series for the first time, while folding laundry and drunk, and just how many episodes are going to be about some nobody on the ship getting powers because yeesh

The ideal way to watch TOS is actually on Shuffle because it quickly becomes obvious they never expected anyone to watch every episode in order. They often have clusters of episodes where it's nearly the exact same plot one after the other, and the production order vs. airing order was not really all that planned out anyway.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not even the same episode lol

Star Trek is weirdly racist against the Irish until DS9, when O'Brien finally becomes crucified for their sins

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PostNouveau posted:

The Plan: Rebrand the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center as a high-end spa treatment center

Haha

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like I've been appreciating more and more lately how funny star wars 9 was. There are so many angles to it and they're all good for a laugh

You could make an entire movie out of everything that I forgot happened in Star Wars 9.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Gildiss posted:

Speaking of the Korean content funders are starting to sweat.

Are Korean dramas struggling on Netflix?

:lmao:

The actual production team had a different, better, goal in mind though. Good for them.

The whole streaming industry near the tail end of COVID:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i thought his chud daughter ran his twitter account

It's an often-repeated theory but every time it's brought up, nobody can provide a shred of evidence. I'm sure he does have assistants writing at least a few of them though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

no way some old boomer gently caress is running a twitter account, come on

But I thought Mike ran the RLM Twitter account?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think the whole Star Wars special edition thing kind of made people hyper-vigilant about movies being changed for any reason whatsoever, always protecting a "definitive version" that may or may not actually exist. Little changes have always happened, way more than people realized.

On balance it's probably a good thing, but it does get irritating sometimes. Like oh they used a slightly different stock sound effect for this thing now, my original experience of seeing it in the theater is ruined forever.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

joylessdivision posted:

The difference is that Lucas not only hosed around with the trilogy but then basically said "LOL gently caress you, you'll never see these as they were originally released ever again because the garbage 90's CGI is my vision"

And then went and made even more nonsensical changes before they hit Blu-ray for reasons

Generally I err on the side of letting an artist have control of their own work, but slapping all that needless CGI onto the original trilogy also does a huge disservice to the work done by Industrial Light and Magic and all the amazing miniatures and puppet work they did, ontop of adding dumbshit that didn't need to be there (and removing the Ewok song from the end of Jedi for the incredibly boring and senseless galactic celebration poo poo.)

Basically my point is, if you're going to go back and gently caress around with a piece of art after it's been released into the world, don't lock the original away in a vault, it has its own historical value and the changes being made aren't always going to be good or even necessary (The Warriors and Blade Runner: Final Cut come to mind)

Oh of course, but that's what I mean by "hyper-vigilant". There's a difference between drastically and intentionally changing major aspects of the movie with no way to watch anything close to the original version, and a slightly different editing decision here and there. In some cases there's really not even such thing as an "original version". Probably even applies Star Wars too, but we all know what we mean when we say that.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 18, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be clear, the main thing I doubt is that Shatner's daughter, specifically, is running his account. It probably is someone, I'm just not sure how it became her specifically.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vim Fuego posted:

Who is the rear end in a top hat producer?

You got the format right, but you do still need to give the name.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Strange 2 was kind of fun in the sense of just watching Sam Raimi screw around with a big budget for 2 hours. Not a particularly good movie other than that though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Apparently Ant-Man 3 is the first MCU movie to be nominated for Razzies, and while I do kinda hate the Razzies I have to say it totally deserves it. Just a blatantly garbage movie that offered basically nothing to the audience but expected success regardless.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wish they would take about DS9!!!

I've resigned myself to them just never caring about DS9 for whatever reason. I think they just love TNG too much. Also DS9 demands to be enjoyed on a much more sincere level, whereas TOS & TNG you can kind of half make fun of and half enjoy, due to the more pulpy monster-of-the-week nature of it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Arc Hammer posted:

Calling Deep Space Nine a "gritty deconstruction" of Star Trek is frankly insane. Challenging the ideals of the Federation is not the same as tearing them down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcGO1qjIr5E

On a fundamental level DS9 embraces the same ideals as the rest of Star Trek but it approaches those ideals as something that we constantly strive for rather than something we've already achieved.

Absolutely, it's gritty compared to TNG but that's not saying much. It's ultimately way more hopeful and idealist because it actually puts Roddenberry's vision to the test and not only does it persevere, but it inspires revolutions on several other planets and destroys a fascist empire from the inside out.

But it's much less of a "sci-fi show" in terms of a weird space anomaly causing crazy stuff to happen. They complement each other well, I wouldn't want one without the other.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Barbie drama is frustrating because it seems to have devolved entirely into "because this movie is good, it should have a nomination in every category it could possibly be nominated in". But movies and performances can be good for different reasons. Supporting acting is different from lead acting. It doesn't mean Margot was less good than Gosling or whatever, it could just mean it's not really a "lead actor" sort of movie/role.

But people won't let that stop them of course, it's all about the thing you like winning the most awards.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Every reason theaters are dying has an exponential effect on less franchise-based movies. It's already a big ask to get younger audiences to spend a lot of money on a ticket to go somewhere at a certain time and watch a movie with annoying strangers with no guarantee that the visual or audio quality will even be as good as what they can get at home in about a month. And of course the only answer theaters seem to have is "well if less people are coming we have to make it even more expensive" so it's no surprise you only get MCU movies... and now those aren't making money either, lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mega Comrade posted:

Even though I have a slider on my phone to mute calls. I still turn my phone off.

Don't trust software to work

There was a golden era where I knew how to reliably silence my phone and now I honestly have no idea. Google somehow either removed the ability to make notification sounds not happen in Do Not Disturb or they buried it beyond recognition. (I still want to see them and get them on my Fitbit, but the sound is always there unless I go full silent)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Stink Billyums posted:

all about the pentiums had some great insults

It's also aged shockingly well, overall, considering how much technology it mentions. The line that aged the worst is one he couldn't possibly have predicted: "posting 'me too" like some brain-dead AOL'er"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's amazing how Star Trek and Wars both went from being two behemoths of pop culture to being dead so quickly

Trek died a pretty gradual death really. Its popularity peaked in the late '80s / early '90s off the TOS movies (2-4) doing pretty well and TNG eventually becoming a hit. But obviously the TNG movies didn't really take off, DS9 was handicapped by them putting out too much content at once (hmm, sounds familiar) and Voyager was a modest success on a network nobody watched. Aside from maybe the last half of TNG, it was never nearly as big as Star Wars to the general public. JJtrek did pretty well, but obviously it went south real quick after that. And I guess the Paramount+ shows might have done as okay as any other niche streaming show but who knows really.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

kalel posted:

watched malcolm x at the alamo

For a minute I thought there was a sequel where he goes to Texas.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Mufasa's backstory: once upon a time, there was a lion. There were also other animals.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

priznat posted:

The songs in Moana are pretty good tbh. Probably the only stuff of Lin Manuel Miranda’s I like. Especially the Jemaine Clement “Shiny” Bowie type tune

It's only like half Miranda anyway, they didn't really give him the reins yet on that one

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

sweet geek swag posted:

So it's a little more complicated than this. Chris Pratt was accused of going to Hillsong Church, which does promote conversion therapy, but as far as anyone can tell he never attended Hillsong and he has denied ever attending there vociferously. He instead attends Zoe Church in Los Angeles. Now the founder of Zoe Church is linked to Hillsong and has said Hillsong inspired the creation of his own church, and he's been involved with a number of other anti-LGBT people and projects, but as far as anyone can tell the church itself doesn't openly take an anti-LGBT stance. Also Chris Pratt admits that he also goes to a Catholic church occasionally, as his wife is Catholic. He actually has indicated that he isn't very religious at all. And there are a lot of churches where if you engage with them on a surface level seem very accepting, but only once you cross a certain line do they show their true colors.

Also, you can really never underestimate the ability of Evangelicals to seize upon any time a celebrity mentions church or Jesus and claim them as "one of us!" If there is one silver lining of the hyper-politicization over the last decade or so, it's that they're less eager to do this now. You have to release a country song about how much better the country used to be, coincidentally right around the same time you could own slaves, before they'll really accept you into the fold. Until then they'll still assume you're a liberal cuck who cannot be trusted.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why are you so desperate to defend these bigots? This isn't secret info and elliot page getting a detail wrong isn't going to be "completely discrediting" unless you're a moron

I mean, the thing is, it isn't just "a detail", it's the only detail. Page went after Pratt based specifically on the fact that he went to a certain church and basically nothing else. Like there wasn't some other whole big story of a pattern of behavior or some bad personal experience, it was just "he goes to Hillsong which is bad". And then that turned out not to be true, so like, I think Page just takes the L on this one. I don't see any reason to keep digging in your heels. There are other reasons to think Pratt is lame and dumb.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hackers film 1995 posted:

would have loved a new york style italian accent with hand talking and everything. “whatsa matta you, ah luigi?!”

Chris Pratt as Garfield: "Mamma-mia, I love-a the lasagna but I no like-a the Mondays!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Immediately after leaving the theater seeing TPM, I said it was the best Star Wars movie. And then pretty much right as the words left my lips I already knew I was wrong. And then the one time I tried to watch it on VHS I realized there wasn't really any reason to again.

Attack of the Clones just made me angry.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dreezy posted:

is it a cold take to think the avengers infinity saga was majorly carried by rdj’s sheer unbridled charisma? maybe not carried per se, but his tony stark was the glue that held a lot of in retrospect mediocre crossover movies together at least until infinity war when the thanos plot actually elevated things. where do you go after endgame with the load blown and no tony stark? obviously you dont go the route they did end up going and you could argue there was never any way for them to do it again, but for fucks sake at least try to fill the charisma vacuum

It's a factor but it's not the only one. There's also:

1) There are only so many superhero origin stories, and the origin story really kind of makes the character. It's really hard to get us excited about a new one at this point. But it's also hard to get us excited about the old ones.
2) There's a reason long-running series are usually TV shows, not movies. You can easily mix small fun character stories with big world-ending ones and it keeps it from being the same exact thing over and over.
3) Movie sequels are notorious for being worse than the original because the first one usually tells all the important story there is to tell, and the sequels just repeat it. Now take that and basically extrapolate it to an entire franchise. On balance Marvel has a pretty decent batting average with their sequels compared to others, but there's only so much you can do.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Rotten Tomatoes scores are ill-suited to this era where pretty much anything that makes it to theaters is at least boringly competent.

Crescent Wrench posted:

You joke, but I'm reminded of the most audacious example of this type of thing:

See that Guardian review between their heads? Did you assume it was a four-star review based on the layout? They actually tucked a two-star review in there to pad out the poster.

IIRC the Guardian eventually either reported on this or was asked about it and they were just kinda like "drat, well played"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Last night I watched Star Wars with the kids for the first time -- the "4K77" version. It was so great seeing the true original version for the first time since I was a kid. It genuinely is a much better movie this way. The characters feel like they actually live in this world, instead of the uncanny valley feeling you get when there's random CGI appearing that they obviously have nothing to do with.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I absolutely loved Guardians 3, but one reason was that it brought definitive* closure to the characters and paid off a bunch of stuff exactly the way a final sequel is supposed to. So, not exactly a repeatable trick.

(Also if you wanna talk about a nasty edge, GotG 2 had a whole comedic scene of the good guys gleefully murdering a huge amount of faceless mooks while breaking out of prison. Obviously they're "antiheroes" and one of them dies at the end but it's still the most James Gunn-y scene in the franchise by far.)

* as definitive as anyone is allowed to be in the multiverse era, anyway

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 20, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Honestly even the title "Madame Web" is a problem. Like in a world where Hollywood execs didn't greenlight literally every comic book movie, there's no way they release a movie with such a lame title. It just sounds stupid. I know it's the character's name but there's no rule saying you can't title it something else. Pull a "Tangled" or something.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

KakerMix posted:

I understand why Queen and Freddie Mercury makes a good subject for a bioptic since Queen ruled musically even if the editor for that poo poo movie was a random number generator

But ain't nobody give a gently caress about the Beatles to warrant FOUR movies lmao

This is Barbie all over again. It isn't well made movie, it's the subject! Hungry Hungry Hippos going to be huge because other property was!!!

Awful take on several levels, but I agree that there's something uniquely un-compelling about the idea of a Beatles biopic, let alone 4. Maybe it's just that their real lives and personalities are already extremely well-documented, on film even, and by far the most interesting thing about them is the music. Their lives were always an open book and there's nothing particularly hard to figure out there. They loved music and they made a bunch of it, that's basically the whole story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The only mistake was trying to keep it going afterward. At least without taking a break. Letting things end is good.