Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kind of hosed up that my first post has been relegated to the second page. like I'm some kind of plebian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Can't have a new thread with Star Wars. We'll never escape it.

https://i.imgur.com/i7n4z63.mp4

all of disney's star wars efforts since acquiring the property have been dog poo poo, but this is really wholesome and rosario dawson seems cool :frogbon:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

also she's apparently a trekkie? does that make her eligible to be a new rlm guest host??

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I got the alamo draft house pass. north by northwest tomorrow night and lotr this weekend. I'm making 2024 my personal year of classic movies. gently caress new movies tbqh

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

lol is this a bit

hi, you must be new here. that there is gripweed, he's the thread supermechagodzilla

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my solution is to simply never step foot in a non-alamo theatre for the rest of my life

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dreezy posted:

i want to shoot copyright law in the face with a gun

reported to the Disney Copyright Enforcement Authority. please report to your nearest Disney-approved police station for reeducation

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

watched north by northwest in the theatre

obviously a classic for many reasons, but I didn't expect it to be as funny as it was. the main character is constantly quipping except the quips were... funny? in character? increasing the tension of the scene? what the gently caress???

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

RevDrMikey posted:

First off, I've seen so much Disney astroturfing on forums lately. Like I guarantee if you scrub through SA you'll find some accounts posting a suspicious amount of "I sure do enjoy my Disney+ account(tm) fellow young people(r)!". This whole discussion is bought and paid for because Disney is terrified of losing relevancy. Beginning and end of story.

you should name and shame those posters. put your money where your mouth is

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

watched poor things

the central premise was so revolting I couldn't engage with the film at all, though the movie did try its hardest. shame because the lobster and killing of a sacred deer were great, but sadly lanthimos has completed his weird transgressive pervert movie director trajectory by crossing the ultimate line: he made the protagonist an anime

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dredd, the raid, john wick, I've seen em all but I don't remember a god damned thing. I don't know why but I just get nothing from any of them

Jose Oquendo posted:

I like Berenthal, but goddamn I love Mann for just being brutal like that.

lmfao. mann was right of course but, woof. eugh

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ProperCauldron posted:

lmao

Just before I read these comments I was just googling the JB and Michael Mann stuff bc I never heard of it

This immediately jumped out to me:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/collateral-director-michael-mann-almost-crushed-jon-bernthals-dreams-acting.html/

Imagine sending your dad to confront your private college professor.

oh my loving god

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

poisonpill posted:

The cobra racer guy from speed racer died :(

I heard he died in a plane accident. his two daughters were with him. just awful

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

doctor thoss I believe? haven't seen them round here in a while

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hackers film 1995 posted:

and ill be here too. providing more white noise. yeah. i saw movie and movie was good or bad. mostly bad

you piece of poo poo that's my posting gimmick! gently caress you!!!!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Imagine going to the theater to see Morbius just for the famous “it’s morbin time” line that the internet got you excited for only to find out after almost 2 hours that the line is low in the mix and easy to miss without headphones.

just to be completely clear for everyone else: nobody says "it's morbin time" in the movie, it's just an internet joke. I haven't seen the movie but I know in my heart it can't be real

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Dr. Thoss posted:

still doing it, just haven't bothered posting the invite in the thread 'cause i figured by this point anyone interested would already be on the server

it's a new thread. post links for all the fresh young faces

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

I guess you do have to consider him secondary to Joaquin in The Master, but that's my favorite PT Anderson film, my favorite PSH film, and a personal hall-of-famer overall.

:emptyquote:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ProperCauldron posted:

guys.....GUYS

https://www.thenationalnews.com/arts-culture/2024/01/05/jerry-lewis/

Controversial Jerry Lewis film to screen in public for first time after 52 years
The Day the Clown Cried, a passion project for its star and director, reached mythical status after he refused to release it in his lifetime

-screening in Virigina in June, maybe perhaps

the screening will be held not far from where I live. it sounds like it's a private or semi-private screening, the guest list will probably be VIPs and other rich people, but if I get a ticket I'll drive there myself and report back with a review

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Tucker and Dale vs Evil is a solidly funny and refreshingly simple little movie

Also finally watched Asteroid City. I'm really hosed up about this but I have say... eh. It was fine I guess. Gonna watch Grand Budapest again

agreed on both points. and I too got a hankering for grand budapest hotel after watching asteroid city.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

*Defiantly before the posting tribunal* I'm really not sure what was more absolutely mid in the context of that artist's corpus, asteroid city or boy/heron

:blastu:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

an uncharitable read of The Boy and the Heron is Miyazaki telling his son it's okay for him to stop making movies

I've been thinking a lot of the film since I saw it. you could say it's the most message-y of his films, but there's a lot in it that's autobiographical. maybe it's kind of a cliche to call an older artist's work "a meditation on their life, their art, and their legacy" but that's truly what it is imo. it's every miyazaki film smushed together with miyazaki himself diagetically reflecting on his life's creation, and entreating the audience to create something new themselves. it's quite easy to read the ending as goro (as conceived by his father) rejecting hayao's legacy but it's just as easy to read it as hayao rejecting his own father's.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

shehulk's cgi dumper

JAnon posted:

new thread title right there.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

watched the lord of the rings: the fellowship of the ring: extended edition at the alamo

worth it just for the balrog scene imo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cubone posted:

there's no movie theater at the alamo

lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it was colorized in post. yeah let's go with that

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I really like using the alamo drafthouse app. I think about digital ui's a lot and I feel like it's very well designed. I'm saying this because I just realized why I appreciate it so much: because every ticket website I've used in a browser handles like complete rear end

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lister posted:

I remember following the news about this. The story was that they cut the budget for season 2 by a ton because they were being strong-armed by the guy who made Mad Men in a contract renegotiation for the final seasons. It was either let it go to HBO or pay up.

if that's true and we're assuming they're working with finite resources, I probably would have made the same decision in their shoes. I'm not sacrificing my third yacht to fund a zombie soap opera, and anyway one mad men is worth ten thousand zombie soap operas

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

should have been called no jo koy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

really quick: is spielberg's AI worth seeing in a theatre or not. unsure if the lukewarm rating on letterboxd is a "controversial" 3 or a "boring" 3

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thanks y'all. love me a controversial 3

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sure okay posted:

It's also why I like Ex Machina quite a lot. That movie gets AI - how the average rube will get their lives changed (ruined) by it, but also how it's still just code with code bugs.

you certainly had a different interpretation of that film than a lot of people. most people, even

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

priznat posted:

Kurt Sutter comes across as a loudmouth dingus. Game recognize game.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of it being true though. In general you're better off siding with people on the ground rather than the exec suite

to be fair to twd, darabont isnt some shithead, he's capable of making Art. if amc had been willing to keep darabont on and let mad men go to hbo (this is pre-zaslav hbo, mind, so mad men would have been just fine), I think twd truly would have risen above its sad fate and might have turned out more like the last of us. but as a purely financial decision, working with what they knew (or rather, what we know they knew) at the time, I think the execs made the right decision

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

watched ai: artificial intelligence at the alamo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I truly think zaslav is one of the most evil people to ever live

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mozi posted:

Edging till Tomorrow

lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Speaking of AI, ain't it great when the union stabs their members in the back after months of striking to keep their jobs protected?

https://twitter.com/sagaftranews/status/1744789298543829066?t=kEVuWos8nSyjFK8l0bsKmg&s=19

sorry, I'm not sure if you read the press release, but it's "groundbreaking" and "fair and ethical" to voice talent. you're supposed to applaud them for deigning to not let actors starve

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

irish reunification would be pretty based imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

just kind of randomly posting this thought here but it bears repeating that america truly is a diseased loving country. a net negative in the world and it's only going to get worse