Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

poisonpill posted:

But it features the glorious Amber heard in a career best performance
And she and Aquaman hardly ever interact with each other onscreen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

dr_rat posted:

And would of been better in real life as well. What I'm saying is Manhattan Project should of directly just tried to make Godzilla's rather than nuclear weapons. Why be one step removed from greatness?

Also would of made the Cold war a lot more interesting.
Somebody actually wrote a novel about this a while ago!

James Morrow, Shambling Towards Hiroshima posted:

The top secret Knickerbocker Project is putting the finishing touches on the ultimate biological weapon: a breed of gigantic, fire-breathing, mutant iguanas engineered to stomp and burn cities on the Japanese mainland. The Navy calls upon Thorley to don a rubber suit and become the merciless Gorgantis and to star in a live drama that simulates the destruction of a miniature Japanese metropolis. If the demonstration succeeds, the Japanese will surrender, and many thousands of lives will be spared; if it fails, the horrible mutant lizards will be unleashed. One thing is certain: Syms Thorley must now give the most terrifyingly convincing performance of his life.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Vakal posted:

The Super Dave show still airs on the canadian Adult Swim channel so I check it out from time to time.

The most surprising thing about watching it again for the first time in like 30 years is realizing how loving long Jeff Dunham has being doing the same puppet schtick and apparently he never ages.

Oh yeah, they had references to him in Joel-era MST3k.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

You're not wrong, but I think the sequel trilogy brought the ruining home for a lot of people who basically just cared about the OT. Now the prequels undermine the OT in a lot of ways to be sure but they're a little bit more subtle/insidious/easy to ignore than like palpatine returning somehow to talk poo poo in fortnite
It says something about the difference between a singular idiosyncratic vision and corporate focus-tested Content that the former even manages to be bad in more interesting ways.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through Chris Pratt.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Feels like a missed opportunity to not start that trailer with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV675Uu2mps

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I don't recall seeing this in the thread, but the folks at EtymOnline just recently found out their founder's bookshelf was in the Plinkett Episode I review.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I love this idea that Obi Wan and the Jedi were just raging alcoholics sneaking a beer every chance they got. It's like Auralnauts.

Well, the Jedi are warrior monks.

Monks make their own beer.

Stands to reason.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

It's hard for me to begrudge her too much; she's hopefully just learning the same lesson George Clooney got from Batman and Robin.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I've been substitute teaching the last few months, and just a few weeks ago, I listened to some teenagers talking about Beethoven and the Sandlot. So yeah, I don't think they're gonna destroy movies anytime soon.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Just when I thought I had that rizz.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Yep. IIRC, the organic webshooters were James Cameron's idea.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am so tired of spi-der human, is there a dung beetle super man? Lady ladybug?
France does, in fact, have a lady superhero called Ladybug.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I wound up seeing Alien: Covenant long before Prometheus, and came out of Prometheus mostly wishing it had a better sequel.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

You don't even have to step out of the Godzilla series for a "They just fight" plot. Tokyo SOS has some setup at the beginning, then it's just one big kaiju battle.

I'm also reminded of when the first Pokemon movie came out, and my brother-in-law took my nephew to see it. IIRC, BIL couldn't stand the actual movie, but he actually kind of liked the opening short that was just a bunch of Pokemon with no human characters.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

colonelwest posted:

AotC has that weird line in title crawl about “heroes on both sides” and it makes me wonder if it was a vestigial reference to earlier draft of the script where Lucas was leaning into that.
I could never help but read that as a half-thought out response to the heavy "with us or against us" mentality that held sway after 9/11. It's just Lucas forgot to add any actual moral ambiguity.

Regarding the Jedi, I've figured for a while that a bit more research into any real-life orders of celibate knight monks and how they became ineffectual enough to be brought down by powerful people wielding conspiracy theories might have improved the prequels a tad.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

There's no reason to be snotty over occasional typos, especially in a world with autocorrect errors. But the only reason any of us are able to read even bad spelling and grammar is usually because good spelling and grammar are so ingrained in us that we're able to decode the mistakes with minimal effort and the correct parts without even noticing.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

And that hotel will still be waiting for Warren Zevon to pay his bill.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Lynch is not presenting the audience with mystery boxes. His films are not mysteries or puzzles to be solved, generally speaking. They are about vibes and feelings and making you feel a certain way and evoking a mood. The plot in his works is generally something that serves as a vehicle to bring the audience to a certain place, not as something to be engaged with directly, per se. Like all the people who try and explain his stuff generally miss the point hard. They're not something you "solve" they're something you experience. They're all about inducing feelings and emotions.

Abrams and his ilk the opposite. No meaning, no vibes, no emotions, just an endless series of ill-conceived puzzles to be solved.

I actually think Lynch is generally dealing with mystery, but more in the original Greek sense, which is basically exactly what you just described: an experience that defies rational explanation. Part of what makes Twin Peaks interesting is that it sets itself up as one type of mystery, then reveals itself as the other.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

The Peter Pan public domain status seems weird but I THINK the original book is public domain, and the play is not. Maybe the Peter Pan remake wasn’t some “copyright renewal” deal but just a “remake a thing people sorta remember from us to see if it sticks”. Last time they did that with Jungle Book that made a gorillion dollars

Edit: wait no that wasn’t the last time they tried that, there was dumbo and Pete’s dragon. Which just left the public consciousness instantly.

I don’t even know anymore. Money laundering?
Peter Pan has kind of a unique copyright situation. J.M. Barrie gave the rights to the play and story to a children's hospital when he died, and there's an exemption in UK law to make sure that hospital keeps it forever. It's public domain everywhere else.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The episode is "The Undead," and the song is "When the Swallows Come Back to Capistrano." I'm pretty sure Bugs Bunny's sung it once or twice.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

XeeD posted:

gently caress yeah. Thank you. A million times thank you. Best match for how he sings it is the inkspots.

Edit: it starts with the same little tune as 'I don't want to set the world on fire' which threw me. And nevermind you my japery. As jolly and sillysally as you believe it to be.
Happy to help. You should check out the MST3k thread in CD. They just learned that the "Why are you repeating me?" scene in Mitchell, where he tells the kid to buzz off, is totally lifted from a British TV show.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

TuxedoOrca posted:

It is my desire to see an anime studio that does scifi a lot (like say sunrise) give a shot at a Star Trek show.

And yet, reality denies me this.
If anybody in anime's going to do Star Trek, it should be Hideaki Anno. The man thrives on stories about teams of smart people (including ship crews) solving weird, complicated problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'd be super curious to hear more. I know even when I was getting into music they were certifying gold/platinum albums by units shipped to stores, not actually purchased by customers.
Seriously? All this time I thought the comic book industry was the only one that did that.

Suddenly it's making sense how I could get a book autographed in the 90s, and the author would say he's signed more copies than the publisher's told him they sold.