Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Non Compos Mentis posted:

guys i think kingo is on drugs

It's reality show editing brain rot. May god have mercy on the martyrs that enable us to see people getting married the moment they meet each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

theres a comic con panel (I think) where reporters are like 'season 1 was such a hit, what are you gonna do with the bigger budget for season 2?' and you just see darabont and everyone on the panel wince bc behind the scenes the budget got massively slashed. TWD ended up being AMCs golden goose despite their best efforts to murder it.

its an indictment of our society that corporations run by people who have no idea what the gently caress theyre doing get to lurch on for another 50 years because of inertia

I remember following the news about this. The story was that they cut the budget for season 2 by a ton because they were being strong-armed by the guy who made Mad Men in a contract renegotiation for the final seasons. It was either let it go to HBO or pay up.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Oh yeah if that's true then they made the right call. Could've kept Darabont and made a shorter season for the same money I guess but hey, Forget it Me, it's Zombie SLop Town

I wanted to look it all up since my memory is hazy. All this was about 12 years ago. So basically, there was a big bump for Matt Weiner who did mad men at the beginning of 2011. Jon Hamm got a big raise too.
https://deadline.com/2011/03/matt-weiner-these-are-the-last-three-seasons-of-mad-men-119255/

TWD had its 1st season run at the end of 2010 with the 2nd season being produced in 2011 for an October premiere. The AMC president says the deal isn't effecting the other series before the 2nd season starts.
https://deadline.com/2011/08/amc-president-on-breaking-bad-order-walking-dead-budget-mad-men-deal-153423/

quote:

Deadline: Matt Weiner’s deal was very lucrative, estimated at $25 million-$30 million. How does that impact your investments in other programming?

Collier: The Mad Men deal is one that we are incredibly proud of. We had 2 goals going into the negotiations: first, to bring back Matt Weiner and secondly, to assure that the show not only starts on AMC, but that when Matt is ready, it will also conclude on our air. But to answer your question, the Mad Men negotiation had nothing to do with our other programming. Going into Mad Men we knew that right behind it would be negotiations on Breaking Bad, The Killing and others. The negotiations for Mad Men were factored into our plans. Some have reported that the Mad Men deal has affected our assessment of other programming and nothing could be further from the truth.

Kurt Sutter who made Sons of Anarchy blamed the deal for budget cuts. Again, before the premiere.
https://ew.com/article/2011/08/12/kurt-sutter-twitter-amc-frank-darabont/

quote:

Sutter took to Twitter in a series of messages that directly attacked AMC and Mad Men showrunner Matthew Weiner for their role in Darabont’s departure. He began: “why darabont got fired — weiner. he held AMC hostage, broke their bank, budgets were slashed, s— rolled down hill onto [Breaking Bad showrunner Vince] Gilligan and Frank.” Then the claws really came out: “no one else wants to f—ing say it, but the greed of Mad Men is killing the other two best shows on tv — breaking bad and walking dead.”

Sutter concludes, rather starkly: “Darabont reacted strongly to slashed budgets. he made mistakes, he was fired. no creative in town will trust AMC to back up their artists…i don’t know MW, got no beef with him. just hate that Darabont is being demonized. no one has the balls to tell the truth. MM gutted AMC.” (Responding to the allegations, a spokeswoman for AMC told EW: “Nothing could be further from the truth. We respect Kurt as a writer, but not as our CFO.”)

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

God I hate the word throuple. Just say trio. That's an actual word that means the same thing and doesn't sound like you're a 3rd grader making up words.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I didn't see it posted yet but this was from yesterday

It happened again!

Everyone's favorite bearded elderly aunt is back! But what is she wearing? Is that a loving one of a kind Star Trek The Next Generation costume?!? YES!!! Part two of the battle for Eternia is on you freaks! If you're worried about that Data uniform you should be. Mike is nearby with a bottle of beer and a not so pleasant disposition after possibly being beaten by Rich Evans again? Will the drunken, rage-filled moron take out his frustrations on a one of a kind screen used Star Trek costume (and his aunt) ?!? Part two of ten of Star Trek TNG trivia is coming soon!!!!!!!!

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

A whole world of nothing but AIs buying and selling from each other while all the homeless humans starve because the AI figured it’s cheaper to just halt all food production and continue wash trading the same monkey jpg forever.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

kalel posted:

sorry, I'm not sure if you read the press release, but it's "groundbreaking" and "fair and ethical" to voice talent. you're supposed to applaud them for deigning to not let actors starve

In one way, I can see how this could be a great thing for voice actors that are able to license a deepfake of their voice so that can make money without having to personally work. In another way, I can see how a lot of actors doing this would mean that new voice actors would never need to be hired for roles in the future.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Mozi posted:

i think if you were very clever and careful you could make some sort of point about ai by having an ai george carlin rail against ai but you'd need to actually write up the scripts yourself i think

i'm sure as hell not gonna do it

edit: 'the cloud is just a place for my stuff'

This already exists. A streamer made ai models for famous people early last year. It's nothing new by now. It got a lot of popularity at first but now only a few dozen people bother to watch it or ask questions.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AdorableGeniusButterflyRickroll-89q-q8x14_UhiYL6

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Sex Farm posted:

Holy poo poo the ending of the curse. I like some weird bullshit but not like this. I don't get it

Edit: I feel pranked. I don't get it. What the gently caress

I'll repost here what I put in the tv iv thread. The biggest theme of the whole show was trying to "help" people in ways that don't help them or actively hurt them. It happens over and over throughout. Showing asher in need of help and the help others give him only making things worse and worse totally lines up with the theme. I get what you mean though. It seems like they could have done something still on that theme without being so strange with it. At least I can't say it was boring.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Outpost22 posted:

What is this "softcore" that you speak of?

Today they call it twitch.tv

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

liberals love shows that exist just to reassure them they're good people

Also see: The Curse

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Only a rumor at this point, but in news that will shock no one, the new Rey Skywalker movie has been put on hold indefinitely.

Chuds online recently jumped on a clip of the director for that movie talking about her past documentary work about abused women in pakistan purposefully making men uncomfortable. I'm confident this is another fake rumor to tell people what they want to hear like every time there was a rumor Alex Kurtzman or Kathleen Kennedy was getting fired.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

I don't understand this. She-Hulk was one of MANY new shows that were produced in that year. How much did all of those shows cost to produce, cumultaviely? How much did staffing for the streaming platform cost? Advertising? Servers and data? How many people are signed up for the platform? Did they assume that their offerings of safe, culturally identifiable slop would get humanity so excited that we'd divide via mitosis into additional adult people who would then themselves immediately subscribe so that they could also be the first to see Man-Guy, Guy-Man, Dark-Guy, She-Lady, Moon-Person, Space Time: Season 4 (part 1), The Simpsons, etc etc etc?

The key word with posts like this is "reportedly." Who reported it? Was the person or media outlet reliable? A reporter with no integrity might have guessed and then other websites now say that it's been reported as the truth. It all just becomes this game of telephone between clickbait media. This particular number can be traced back to a Variety article on Marvel's situation from November, but it's literally a single uncited sentence, "All the while, Marvel was bleeding money, with a single episode of "She-Hulk" costing some $25 million, dwarfing the budget of a final-season episode of HBO’s “Game of Thrones, ” but without a similar Zeitgeist bang."

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

People keep telling me there ain't no way they would do this, it would be unimaginable, yada yada, but I just really think they'll bring palpatine back again. I mean what else is there (that you could get greenlit)?

Bringing in a new character that's exactly like palpatine but technically a different person.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I’m shocked that Disney hasn’t greenlit a straight up Star Wars Babies cartoon.

They did https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Young_Jedi_Adventures

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

The anger over this stuff is depressing because if you leave it all to directorial intent then whatever they say was "always the intended vision" loses meaning. Lucas always intended for Greedo to say Maclunkey. The Raid was always supposed to look like a 4K restoration rather than how it first released.

Saying you like one version over the "intended version" will always bring down idiots upon you for not preserving media or some dumb poo poo.

I get what you mean, but then you have people colorizing black-and-white movies using the same reasoning. Some people take it too far.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

quote:

This was discovered in a pile of rubbish at the bottom of one of our trash bins. It's the score sheet for our very first Star Trek The Next Generation Trivia battle. This was, of course, before Mike lost by misunderstanding (or overthinking one might suggest) the final question, thus nullifying all of his winning up to this point. This piece of paper is a testament to a moment in time before Mike would return in the second episode and beat Rich Evans rear end into oblivion. Now, some at RLM INC™ have suggested "we've done too much TNG trivia" and that "we should wait 6 months to a year before we do part 3 of 10" to that I say, "Bollocks!" what do YOU think? Should Mike wipe the floor with Rich's flop sweat again? Let us know. - Krebs Gorlon

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Tim was clearly distracted by whatever he needed to leave for and wasn't thinking about being funny.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

First of May posted:

If the only Oscar Barbie gets is for the male co-star, that's going to be pretty funny.

It's best chance is for original song, which was still all written and performed by men. So yeah, it could really happen.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hm that's not it. I think it had a more california desert feel. Oh this is impossible

That kind of sounds like Nebraska but that's in black and white so you'd have probably remembered that detail.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Gripweed posted:

oh hey, Madame Web is coming out on Valentine's Day. That makes sense, it's got superheroes and the 50 Shades of Grey lady, it's got a wide appeal. Could be a good date movie.

Also because the theater will be empty and you can fool around in the back.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

How can someone have success in film and television over 25 years and never get orthodontic work to straighten out their bottom row of teeth?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Vakal posted:

How many sequels to pure comedy movies are there that are at least as good as the original?

Not many which is why sequels to comedies are so hard to get financed. But to answer your question Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me and Shrek 2

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Because they don't care? Why do you care?

Because in that zoolander clip, will ferrell's bottom row of teeth are very visibly crooked and ugly. When part of an actor's job is to be looked at, ugly teeth are distracting and uncomfortable to see.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Goons see a closeup of an actor looking like this and don't think that it's distracting.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

priznat posted:

I always thought Will Ferrell’s jacked up teeth were kind of an endearing trait tbh

I can understand that. Sure, it's not essential sometimes. In that particular clip when it's such a closeup, it's all I could stare at. I don't know where all these extreme reactions are coming from.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I had forgotten about the beanie baby one too until this came up. If seinfeld can put enough of his brand of jokes in, then it could be good. Otherwise I'm not seeing what would draw him to a movie like this.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Is there a rivalry between those two guys? It seems like they have totally different styles and don't directly compete with one another.

edit: google has this bit from an eric andre interview

quote:

The last show you loved
"Nathan for You, Nathan Fielder’s Comedy Central show. It was so brilliant, unique and high stakes – I’ve never seen a more bizarre approach to the prank genre. Every episode is a banger – there’s one where he gets this guy to casually admit he drinks his grandson’s urine."

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Such a good call to sign Alex Kurtzman to a $150 million contract through 2026 so he could produce 1 tv show and maybe a tv movie for the last two years of it.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Burns posted:

With Collider dead, who are they paroding?

Generally nerd podcasts with bad production, I guess. A better joke would be to pivot to mocking nerd outrage channels, but maybe they don't want the heat from that.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'm realizing that they probably used the skype gimmick because they must have broken down the nerd crew set a long time ago. Shame, it was a good one.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

RealityWarCriminal posted:

you won't be getting your job back and 75k is nothing. why even bother

Punitive damages can be a lot.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

The big unanswered questions is if they will continue following the Wonka/Color Purple (2023)/Mean Girls (2024) strategy of hiding the fact that it is a musical from the audience until they actually see the movie.

I'm going to laugh when it turns out that beetlejuice 2 is just the musical with a few plot changes to make it work as a sequel.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Then he sold the rights of the good news show to paramount, undermining the purpose of it as a pure act of good will, only for the brain trust at paramount to never actually go forward with producing anything.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Larry David's biggest mistake was not realizing that the Today Show is for babies and small children. Good thing he was there to promote his TV-MA rated comedy show on HBO.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just read the whole thing. This guy thinks that curb isn't about larry suffering the consequences of being an rear end in a top hat. That's the final punchline of most of the episodes. I get that his childhood hosed him up, but drat dude, you don't know what you're talking about.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I was 10 when it came out. Even though I liked it after seeing it, I knew it wasn't as good as anything in the OT, but I just didn't know how to explain why.

I don't think this is nostalgia bait as much as it's trying to emulate the special edition rerelease in 97. That was a move to reintroduce the series to a new generation and I took it hook line and sinker as a kid. This isn't for adults, this is for the 8 year olds today who weren't born when TFA came out.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, but even the 8 years olds of today are not buying their own tickets to go to the movie theater. The special edition re-release in 1997 was to introduce a new generation, but it relied on the parents who had good feelings about the OT to bring their kids along for the experience.

You're not gonna have a bunch of prequel-trilogy haters saying to themselves: "Finally, a chance to introduce my kid to this absolute dogshit!"

I get what you mean, but I think you're underestimating marketing. If little kids see pre-roll ads for episode 1 in front of mr beast enough times, they're going to start thinking the movie looks awesome and ask their parents to bring them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i remember liking about 25% of the phantom menace when i saw it in the theater. the podrace and the final battle with darth maul with duel of the fates i thought were great as a teenager. the rest of the movie was always dogshit to me. i was also the sucker who watched eps 2 and 3 in the theater just to see if they got better. i also watched all of the sequel trilogy in the theater because i am just a fuckin rube haha. star wars eps 1-9 is like 22 hours of movies, and only like 6 hours is good.

I remember seeing the pod race as a kid and thinking "this is neat, but why aren't they doing spaceship fights instead?" My vague memories tell me that I didn't understand the plot or conflict in the story at all, and half way through the Tatooine parts, I wanted them to get to the star war already.