Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJP8J84vzTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

I got the alamo draft house pass. north by northwest tomorrow night and lotr this weekend. I'm making 2024 my personal year of classic movies. gently caress new movies tbqh

Hell yeah. I love getting out to see classic movies on the big screen. I've got Goodfellas booked for this weekend, in fact.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I will never forgive Sonic Youth for being assholes to Nardwuar

:same:

How an artist treats Nardwuar is an important litmus test for their real personality.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
"I'm here with..."

*holds mic up to Macklemore's mouth, who silently stares with a slack-jawed look*

"...Macklemore. *pulls out blue paper card* Macklemore, what can you tell me about what THIS nine-digit number means to you?"

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have no desire to relive my law school days, but I have to admit it would be fascinating to sit in on a few copyright lectures a few years down the road when some of these expired public domain works get hauled into court and the case law is developing.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

The Sherlock Holmes assholes have already started a lot of case law

Duke law has a page on what the current state is with what you can steamboat or not steamboat

https://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/mickey/#jan1

Cool! I will have to peruse this. Some of these cases were around when I took copyright law, but I don't remember it being a point of emphasis off the top of my head.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

I've heard praise about this over the years but haven't bothered with it. Seemed like a generic action movie. Is it worth it? I'd assume very few practical effects and just a bunch of cg crap

Dredd is well worth a watch if you have even a moderate interest in action movies.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Always watch Phantasm

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Space Kablooey posted:

14 pages in 5 days is rookie numbers for this thread

gently caress you, it's January.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sunk Dunk posted:

the disaster artist audio book is super good btw. i recommend it to everyone. greg does a PERFECT tommy impression throughout. it makes the disaster artist movie look like poo poo

I might have to check that out. I've read the book, which is hysterical. I did it all in one sitting on a lazy Sunday afternoon and I was laughing out loud more than during most comedies.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Anyway, is Capote PSH's only leading role? I guess he's almost the deuteragonist in The Master?

I guess you do have to consider him secondary to Joaquin in The Master, but that's my favorite PT Anderson film, my favorite PSH film, and a personal hall-of-famer overall. I'd endorse the prior recommendations for Synecdoche, New York (this one in particular), Love Liza, and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. I'd also give mentions to other lead/quasi-lead roles which include A Most Wanted Man (straight up lead), The Savages (perhaps co-lead with Laura Linney), and Flawless (arguably second to De Niro but he got at least one award nom for lead although this one isn't as good as the others).

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

Hoffman’s delivery of the line “You PIG gently caress!!!” occasionally enters into my thoughts at random because of that movie. Tremendous performance, tremendous film. He is definitely not second banana to Joaquin in that. It’s practically a love story, they share top billing imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRLvrE5zX6o

That's a favorite line reading of mine too, I laugh every time I watch it. And yeah, not only is it a great co-dependent love story, it's one of the greatest films about alcoholism.

FAKE EDIT: Also his reaction to his own outburst when he vainly tries to appear composed even though he just called a mild-mannered skeptic a "pig gently caress." PSH was the king.

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 6, 2024

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

billymumphrey posted:

Really? I've seen the trailers before most of the movies I'v seen recently, and it looks pretty hokey/rubbish

I almost thought it was a fake movie or something when I saw the trailer. I was shocked when it turned out to be a legitimate film that people seem to love.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
On my way to see Goodfellas on the big screen, hell yeah.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I forget, is Goodfella DC or Marvel?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Vim Fuego posted:

shehulk's cgi dumper

Username waiting to happen.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Room was never on Best of the Worst so if we're opening it up to that we're opening it up to a whole world of asses.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

Repo Man (1984) is a really weird, but fun movie that I'm surprised hasn't shown up on Re:View yet.

This is such a Jay movie, I wouldn't be surprised if he's referenced it off-the-cuff half a dozen times if you combed through the archives.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sunk Dunk posted:

Did anyone watch the master of horror series on showtime? Any recommendations for good episodes?

I think Masters of Horror is a solid watch for horror fans, but in addition to factoring in the limits of being a cable TV show at the time, it's absolutely worth noting that the quality varies WILDLY. Horror is my favorite film genre and I almost gave up on the show four episodes in because it seemed like a downhill slide. I actually HATE the episode "Jenifer" with a passion, that was nearly the breaking point. (Not teasing the poster who mentioned it before, because the episode is spoken of highly and comes up high on rankings of all the episodes. It's just baffling to me.)

The series picks up after that, and a lot of my favorite episodes are in the back half of season one. It's an anthology, so you can skip around freely. It's fine to start with episodes by directors/actors you like, etc. My personal favorites (in order of series appearance) are:
-Cigarette Burns (John Carpenter)
-Sick Girl (Lucky McKee and Angela Bettis of May together again, probably my overall fave)
-Pick Me Up (Larry Cohen)
-Imprint (Takashi Miike, the episode Showtime refused to air)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
True Detective Season 2 is a mess, but I feel like it would have gotten more appreciation for the moments of pulpy insanity if it wasn't the follow-up to one of the best single seasons of a TV show ever. Colin Farrell beating the poo poo out of a bully's dad on his own front porch is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xIZVMJjvHQ

"Twelve years old my rear end. gently caress. YOU."

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

:agreed: 100% on everything you said

Also every attempted one-liner out of Vince Vaughn's mouth.

"It's like I got blue balls... in my heaaart!"

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Miike is great

I'm always open for Miike recs, I consistently dig his films but it's an intimating filmography.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I watched all of Masters of Horror at the time, including ordering the Takashi Miike episode on DVD since Showtime wouldn’t air it, and it’s mostly bad. Much of it is forgettable, Cigarette Burns sticks out for being really good (though still derivative of Polanski’s The Ninth Gate starring Johnny Depp :yikeseroo:), and then poo poo like Pelts and Dream Cruise stick out for being really, really bad.

I also remember thinking Showtime refused to air Imprint (the Takashi Miike episode) not due to anything extreme, but because it was just bad and not very well edited. I bought that DVD expecting something crazy and it was more of a mess.

I think the existence of two seasons of Masters of Horror disproves Showtime would ever withhold anything for being bad and poorly edited.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

Was Jennifer the one with the girl with the monster face? All I remember of it was the part where the creepy orderly guys were watching her getting scrubbed down in a sanitarium shower while lamenting that it was a shame her face was so hosed up since her body was so hot.

Yep.

Then again, those were the same orderlies that let a detective who has no familial or personal relationship or legal authority over an adult mental patient whatsoever check her out of the psych ward and take her to live with him.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

having never seen any miike, I bought a ticket to a screening of his "audition" (1999) next week

Hell yeah. I've seen that as a midnight movie myself. Go in as blind as you can, assuming you haven't read up on it too much.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I just got back from seeing Dogtooth. Although not the rowdiest crowd I've ever seen, it was, by far, the most times someone in the theater has said "oh my God" in a movie I've been to. And it ran the gamut from shocked exclamations of "Oh my God!" to quiet horror of whispering "oh my God..."

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
He rounded his IMDB score up from a 7.4 to an 8.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

lobsterminator posted:

Are you Glen Danzig?

No! No! I'm not Danzig! Would Danzig do this?

*cums on hot dog and shoves it into a bong*

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

It is bad but it at least communicates what's going on a lot better. I think that was the point, to be like, "this is what it would be like if someone who knew what a movie was made this movie"

Yeah, Jay literally said he whipped it together in 20 minutes to show how even the most minimal effort would have elevated the movie.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

He’s got a system…

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

a real rude dude posted:

i know they made the right call eventually but how did they not phaser this freak in to a skeleton immediately

But then we wouldn't have gotten the classic ending where security is marching him to his execution as he begs for his life.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CaptainBeefart posted:

I've been watching DS9 lately and I like it more than TNG now.

You're on the right side of history.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOTCMfLniTc

You know how sometimes Mike says "This is the worst thing I've ever seen"?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

The Barbie drama is frustrating because it seems to have devolved entirely into "because this movie is good, it should have a nomination in every category it could possibly be nominated in". But movies and performances can be good for different reasons. Supporting acting is different from lead acting. It doesn't mean Margot was less good than Gosling or whatever, it could just mean it's not really a "lead actor" sort of movie/role.

But people won't let that stop them of course, it's all about the thing you like winning the most awards.

I do think Robbie not getting a nomination is a surprising snub, but there's an awful lot of cherry-picking going on here. I've seen articles bitching about Gosling getting a nom and not Robbie and crying sexism... without mentioning that America Ferrera got a nomination for Best Supporting Actress. The AV Club (I know, I know) was hand-wringing about "I'm Just Ken" getting a nomination for Best Original Song, even though Billie Eilish's own song for Barbie was also nominated in the same category. In fact, the same publication ranked "I'm Just Ken" as the second best song on their shortlist of potential nominations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

But, on the other, other hand: Oppenheimer had nude Florence Pugh so it was the better movie.

I'm not falling for that trick again. Not after Don't Worry Darling.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

“Those darn kids never seen a good movie in the theater” is such an old man sentiment but….yeah the fuckin millennials never go and see the good movies, it’s whole annihilation and blade runner 2 and other masterpieces loving tanked

The upper age range on millennials is 42 loving years old, dude.

FAKE EDIT: It's actually 43 now!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My biggest issue when I go to big chain theaters is the complete lack of any effort to enforce the rules for audience behavior. If you are playing on your phone or talking loudly or eating smelly outside food then your rear end should get kicked to the curb.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

I will never step foot in a theatre except alamo drafthouse ever again

There's an independent theater here called Nitehawk that's in the Alamo model that makes it really, really hard to settle for anything else.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have no qualms at all about going to a movie (or concert or whatever) solo. I'm not going to miss out on something just because I don't know anyone who is interested and available. Sure, it's nice to make it a date night or go with my film-going buddy so we can do a nice debrief after, but I also enjoy getting my favorite table, having a drink and some snacks, and just lounging in the best seat in the house. Plus there's so many options that I like going to things on a whim if I hear about them last-minute. Multiplexes are OK for like a late run or maybe some early showing on a weekday, but I despise dealing with the big crowds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Thoss posted:

2. Wild Beasts

what if roar, but cheap and italian!

"PCP is unexplainably released into the Frankfurt water supply and sends the zoo inhabitants crazy. One evening after a malfunction of zoo security the gonzo critters rampage through the city eating and killing whatever they fancy, wreaking a night of bloody terror. It’s up to regular Italian-trash whipping girl Lorraine De Selle and obnoxious Super Mario lookalike zookeeper John Aldrich to sort it out."