Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Sub-Actuality)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It is worth noting that part of the settlement between Stardock and the original creators relates to Brad Wardell's love of bees and habit of releasing them on his staff

It's one of the feel-good stories in gaming that they wrested some of the rights back after all these years and the person they got it from in the end was Brad Wardell. They didn't need them, they had Skylanders money, they just wanted their dumb space game back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Aston posted:

: Start the generator

The game is cool but I'm still feeling like the random encounters are getting in the way of the interesting parts, I'm not going to go any further.

Bad end.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hoping to finish by tomorrow, but feel like there's quite a bit left

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I may have to marathon it tomorrow if I want to get to the end without having to wait for Impmas.

This sig under renovation

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

pretty cool game but i don't think i'll continue - the low inventory sizes and the rotting-wooden-planks mechanic just drive me up the wall. pretty cool to check out the "patient zero" of an entire genre, though

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
: Watch the movie Sweet Home (1989) and write a review in the thread

Really cool movie, it did a good job building up the mystery and having enough weird stuff happen to keep the tension up. Burned in half Taguchi and ax-murdered Asuka was a great scene. Final ghost reveal was badass and Akiko throwing random poo poo at it made me lol. Given how good the body effects were, more creepy ghost things instead of moving shadows would've been sick though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Watched to the generator scene and called it quits.

Just kidding.

I mostly liked picking up on the fragments of the film that they turned into elements of the game. Pitchforks in the basement. Akiko uses a first aid kit for 1 scene so she's a full blown nurse in the game now lol. A guy gets melted in half so there's like 15 melted guys in the game mansion. I can safely say that I didn't expect the vacuum cleaner to make an appearance but Asuka actually did use one to clean a fresco. The "Power of Mind" became the main battle and gameplay mechanic through prayer points. One thing I found interesting is that the characters I usually grouped together in the game were often together in the film too. You know, until they loving die lol.

Yamamura's death sequence looked great, and the game actually kind of did it justice. The final scene made me think about that confrontation in the game and you could actually do a canon run where Akiko and Emi confront Mamiya with the four items while Kazuo fucks off somewhere and Asuka and Taro are dead. Though in the movie Kazuo did have the "tool" on him. Good movie.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Evil Eagle posted:

you could actually do a canon run where Akiko and Emi confront Mamiya with the four items while Kazuo fucks off somewhere and Asuka and Taro are dead. Though in the movie Kazuo did have the "tool" on him.
poo poo, that wouldve been a good trophy

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
: Beat the game
: Get the best ending (nobody dies)

i didn't think i would get this done in time with all the backtracking, but after a point you can just send one person out on errands and run from everything. this was a great game and great pick. now to see if i can watch the movie before the end of the day.

turn off signatures

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

probably not gonna finish or watch th movie by the end of the day but its real cool. good pick cubone.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

the entire time through this movie i just kept going "that practical effect is rad, that one too, oh poo poo asuka turned into a glowing lava fountain, oh poo poo YAMAMURA GETTING OPEN AIR INCINERATED WITH POPPING EYEBALLS". extra shoutout to the Mamiya House miniature set that is panned by in the opening scenes when they're driving up, and when the house implodes at the end of the credits. they also did a fantastic job with mamiya's Final Form and holy poo poo the baby heads just sprouting from her neck and back. that's some good brutal horror poo poo.

playing the game first definitely set different expectations going into the movie, especially with the lack of monsters everywhere. the closest was the shadows incinerating people or taguchi being the crawling half-torso zombie. it was pretty fun seeing what elements in the game were borrowed from the movie itself and where they had to take extra creative liberties to make it a Fun Game. i actually thought that asuka was going to be a set hand and not the actual reporter based on her using a vacuum in the game.

also, lol that the story even kicks off because it'll be good for tourism. great movie.

turn off signatures

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sweet Home was a pretty decent movie, though it's a bit slow to set things up. Nothing wrong with a slow burn though, a slow start is fine if a movie gets going in the back half. Helps that the sets and special effects were really good. The old guy melting was amazing.

Glad that everything worked out for Emi. I laughed when she asked where her dad was since I'd been wondering what happened to him for the last couple minutes.

I feel like they missed an opportunity by not doing more with the fresco since it was the reason they were there and tied heavily into the backstory of the tragedy that led to the haunting.

Game's also cool, though I haven't really had the energy to play much this week thanks to getting sick. I'll have to save it for Impmas. Did manage to get to the generator.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

: Beat the game
: Get the best ending (nobody dies)
What a trip, worth the inventory issues, and also the annoying rear end ghosts snatching up your team members.

I am not much of a movie guy but I had to give this a look for the experience. Starts slow but drat does it pick up, as I compared it with the game, that it was Tageuchi to defile the memorial instead of a previous team made me think he would be the first to die, and I was right. Didn't not expect Asuka to die soon after. (Coincidentally also my second team for the latter half of the game).
Yamamura being more of a character instead of a someone who suddenly shows up is also nice, even if the end is the same
In all, it was neat to see how the key points of the movie got translated into the game except for the shadows(?)
The power of the mind...

This sig under renovation

qnqnx fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 11, 2024

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Not going to have time to finish. I made it to the part where Yamamura shows up in game.

As for the movie:

I'm a big fan of the practical effects. I thought all of the kills looked really cool. The ghost transforming to sprout a baby at the end looked really cool. I was not a fan of the tone of the movie though. I would have preferred something either much weirder like Hausu or more serious. Emi's actress seemed like an odd choice. I looked her up and I guess she was a popular musician in Japan at some point. The way the character acted it seems like she's supposed to be about 6 or 7 but the actress was in her mid twenties.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

TIME OVER for Sweet Home, and the clock starts now for The Ur-Quan Masters. Good luck imps!

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

:lfgoo:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Turned off the new music and voices, i'm home.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

new as in for the Steam release or "new" like from the 3DO version?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The voices are overall good so far imo. I don't think I ever tried to advance the plot much as a kid, just explored and upgraded my ship, so time to see the approximately 95% of stuff in the game I missed lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

they're apparently launching a kickstarter for the sequel next week.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nice. More devs I can support.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Keep devving, I'm supporting.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

spent a couple hours getting destroyed in hyperspace wondering why the game is so hard, found out from the manual that you're supposed to stay at earth when the ur-quan drone leaves to get help and not just run lmao

turn off signatures

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

new as in for the Steam release or "new" like from the 3DO version?

Anything newer than the original dos sound.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Dieting Hippo posted:

spent a couple hours getting destroyed in hyperspace wondering why the game is so hard, found out from the manual that you're supposed to stay at earth when the ur-quan drone leaves to get help and not just run lmao

always read the manual :hai:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

French Accent posted:

You just reminded me that the copy we had was a bootleg my dad bought at a swap meet that had a black and white photocopy of the starmap that you needed to launch the game.
This thing was a faded xerox that was torn and taped along one of the folds so it was like an ancient treasure map and me and my brother had to check and restart over and over until we got coordinates for a star that was legible enough to get into the game.
That poo poo was immersive af

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

In Training posted:

Nice. More devs I can support.

French Accent posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the manual for starcon2 is also loaded with pictures & lore iirc, it's like a tabletop RPG book

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

mycophobia posted:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

they're apparently launching a kickstarter for the sequel next week.

Game Club magic kicks rear end.

mycophobia posted:

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Game Club magic kicks rear end.

game club magic, huh? maybe it's time that we choose metroid prime for next month.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mycophobia posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

when you dev but she still supporting

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Leadthumb posted:

Anything newer than the original dos sound.

I like the music from the 3DO version but not the voices.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nice av/sig lol.