Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

22) final fantasy vii rebirth (ps5)

incredible game. insane game in the most positive way. all the good stuff about remake is here and there's so much everything, from standard gameplay to weird side poo poo to music. it feels like they had a million ideas and never said no, and they have so much fun with everything. it's a joyous video game made by insane people. theres a universe out there where people got a super by the book remake of ff7 and it loving sucks lol gently caress that universe. the ending is intentionally vague and confusing in spots like the first game but i feel like i have a better idea of whats up and where it's possibly going this time, and the final boss was epic. gonna spend a million more hours doing the side stuff i missed. godly game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

22) final fantasy vii rebirth (ps5)

incredible game. insane game in the most positive way. all the good stuff about remake is here and there's so much everything, from standard gameplay to weird side poo poo to music. it feels like they had a million ideas and never said no, and they have so much fun with everything. it's a joyous video game made by insane people. theres a universe out there where people got a super by the book remake of ff7 and it loving sucks lol gently caress that universe. the ending is intentionally vague and confusing in spots like the first game but i feel like i have a better idea of whats up and where it's possibly going this time, and the final boss was epic. gonna spend a million more hours doing the side stuff i missed. godly game

congrats but also I hate you for having way more gaming time than me. raising a glass toasting your victory while also secretly plotting your demise

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You’re making gaming cringe. Cut it out.

30. Fate Grand/Order

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Roth posted:

30. Fate Grand/Order

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Extremely great. Hell of a lot messier than 7 but all the chats/links/mini games are just as good and the combat is significantly improved, which is a plus because there's probably too much of it lol. Rates just a tick under the S ranked 0/2/7 imo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

welcome posted:

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Extremely great. Hell of a lot messier than 7 but all the chats/links/mini games are just as good and the combat is significantly improved, which is a plus because there's probably too much of it lol. Rates just a tick under the S ranked 0/2/7 imo.

This is where I think I am on it. The one on one relationship stuff is so great but I hated the ending so much that I immediately dropped it after marathoning it for like 3 weeks. You’re right though everything else about it is so much improved that I shouldn’t be so hard on it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

is the combat improved?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
It's still the same basic system but they removed the enemy interrupts and the bug where your guys get stuck behind a fire hydrant for ten seconds is almost entirely gone, I think it happened to me twice all game. They changed skill inheritance too, you can pick up up to 5 skills from other jobs as you level up your social links. In practice some skills are just better than others but it's a big step up from 7 where all the good blade gun and healing skills were tied to specific jobs and sometimes characters.

Basically it's 7 without a lot of the rough edges, if you disliked it there I don't know if it's improved enough to be a big selling point.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bein able to move around to proc damage bonuses/weapon attacks helps a lot too imo

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

bein able to move around to proc damage bonuses/weapon attacks helps a lot too imo

That and knocking enemies into each other, environmental hazards, your other party members for chain attacks, etc

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I couldn't remember how much of that was new and didn't want to oversell it lol.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think it's pretty vastly improved despite being on the same system. the skill inheritance and having twice as many jobs is cool and littering the map with some boss challenges helps, but using the terrain and status ailments always feels like a little puzzle to solve. you won't notice it right away because you have to build bonds up and get some brands before you can really take advantage of it, but it really makes it feel like you're aiming to juggle enemies out of getting their turn while you chain up buffs to do it even better on the next guy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

also it's pretty cool that some of the most important combat mechanics get gradually better the more you drink with your friends. it feels very Ichiban.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I didn't like the combat in 7 but it grew on me once I found the OP skills and encounters didn't feel like borderlands bullet sponges, so any minor improvement on that is A+ in my book. I fully expect boss fights to feel the same but that's not a huge deal. Looking forward to playing it in 5 years

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's a long way from perfect, but I was very impressed with how much the minor iterations improved it. the biggest issue is the same one as 7, though. it takes too long to get a full party, to unlock jobs, etc.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

skill inheritance is cool too but like. iw ant passives to transfer over between jobs or somethin. gimme some fuckin meat to chew on in the job system.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

skill inheritance is cool too but like. iw ant passives to transfer over between jobs or somethin. gimme some fuckin meat to chew on in the job system.

yeah. I hope the next one does the final fa tasy 5 thing of having an "equip weapon" be something you can get at the higher stages of a job. I think poundmates being associated with a job as a kiwami skill instead of just tied to the party leader would be cool too. there's more to build out on it for sure but this was a big first step.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

23) katamari damacy (ps2)

needed to roll a ball around after like 100 hours of ff7. still a perfect video game

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Try rolling a man's balls into your butt hole.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Arrhythmia posted:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

9) Necromunda: Hired Gun

Still as janky as E.Y.E. was, but a bit less charming. They did pretty good with the Warhammer license, which is no surprise since Space Hulk was also very atmospheric.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

10) Tome 4

Game is long as gently caress. I'll come back to this in a couple months to try the new classes I unlocked, probably try to beat Tome 2, Angband or Doom RL next

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1-20: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4050853&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post537514857

21. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
22. Sonic the Hedgehog
23. Sonic CD
24. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
25. Little Nightmares
26. Disco Elysium
27. Little Nightmares II
28. Last Epoch
29. Star Wars Dark Forces Remastered
30. Persona 3 Reload

Was just barely short of max social links which has me a little salty but by far still the best Persona and the new stuff in the remake is all sick.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

24) pizza tower (pc, 92% tower completion with the noise)

they added a new character to pizza tower and he's a lot of fun. a real testament to the level design in this game that it still feels great going through the stages with such a different feeling moveset. all the new twists on the transformations and the new music/dumb gags are great too. pizza tower ftw

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

5) Final Fantasy VII rebirth (normal mode)- Clocked in right at about 100 hours or so played. All sidequests and hardmode minigames. Game owns. Definitelu had a couple low points, but overall excellent game. Now to agonize for 3 years until the finale.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Hogwarts Legacy
2) Aliens: Fireteam Elite
3) Styx: Master of Shadows
4) Starfield
5) Battlefield Hardline
6) Styx: Shards of Darkness
7) Metro 2033
8) Intravenous 2: Mercenarism
9) Metro: Last Light
10) The Bunker
11) Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Marcus?
12) She Sees Red

Another FMV CYOA-style game, about a Russian police investigation. Made by another dev and is perhaps a little simpler, but it was decent enough - if a little shorter than most. Went through it twice and got a good outcome the first time, then went for a 'mutually assured destruction' end the second time around, to go out in a blaze of glory

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
1. Arcade Archives: Mystic Warriors (Nintendo Switch, Spyros 1CC, 646k points)
2. Sega Tetris (1998, Dreamcast, 1CC)

didnt survive the ending but w/e im counting it

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

11) Doom RL

I'm Too Young To Die difficulty. Standard win.

I need to check out Jupiter Hell, the followup now. See if the quality of life stuff I was hoping for got added

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mycophobia posted:

1. Arcade Archives: Mystic Warriors (Nintendo Switch, Spyros 1CC, 646k points)
2. Sega Tetris (1998, Dreamcast, 1CC)

didnt survive the ending but w/e im counting it

noob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
its hard