Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

So am I when I face an insurmountable challange. Guess I'm build diffy.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

ESLing your rear end off today.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Built stiffy.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

ESLing your rear end off today.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

it's my autocorrect fault but i left it all in for that very reason lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

1) A Plague Tale: Innocence
2) Dragon Quest 1 (GBC)
3) HI-Fi Rush
4) A Plague Tale: Requiem
5) Secret of Evermore
6) Granblue Fantasy: Relink (Final Chapter Credits)
7) Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (Immortal)
8) Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
9) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Game rocks. Case 5 is so good but it took me forever to align the vase to match the Blue Badger head. I don't remember it being so hard on the DS version lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Having a phone that autocorrects something to Challange lmfao. The Gothic King Cobra holds illimitable dominion over all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Having a phone that autocorrects something to Challange lmfao. The Gothic King Cobra holds illimitable dominion over all.

I prefer Challonge myself.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

9) golden sun: the lost age - dungeons in this are wayyyy too long, but nothing is all that hard to fight so its just a big slog. is the DS sequel any good?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1-20: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4050853&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post537514857

21. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
22. Sonic the Hedgehog
23. Sonic CD
24. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
25. Little Nightmares
26. Disco Elysium
27. Little Nightmares II
28. Last Epoch
29. Star Wars Dark Forces Remastered
30. Persona 3 Reload
31. Stray

Another "Girlfriend wanted me to play this" game. It was cute. I wish the platforming wasn't so automated, but it was a pleasant breeze of a game overall.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Joey McChrist posted:

9) golden sun: the lost age - dungeons in this are wayyyy too long, but nothing is all that hard to fight so its just a big slog. is the DS sequel any good?

You got what golden sun has to offer, you will only find more of the same.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

1. robocop: rogue city
2. trepang2
3. halo: reach
4. final fantasy 7 remake intergrade
5. long gone days

i took a break from p3 reload and ff7 rebirth to play this lil' rpg that i was interested in because of its modern war setting. it's one of those turn based games where the combat is more there to propel the story along than anything else but i didn't really mind that especially because the music is really good. anyway i really enjoyed it. i got the bad end but i'm gonna go back and try for the good one after i finish rebirth. not to be confused with the much-inferior days gone.

thanks to dendy, for good sig

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Joey McChrist posted:

It's quite rear end I'm afraid

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Persona 3 Portable.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Jumping Flash!

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

1. Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth (3/17)

first game of the year for me, finished just in time for dragon's dogma 2.

2. Dragon's Dogma 2 (3/27)

tawal fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 1, 2024

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Hades: Heat 32

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Arrhythmia posted:

Good job

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
1. Doom (2016)
2. Doom Eternal, Ultra Violence
3. Elden Ring: Theres a shitload of builds I want to play in this but I already spent so many hours in it!!! Some of the remaining souls clunkiness pisses me off but I know if they ever really smoothed things out the series would lose its charm. They put together almost all the best parts of the franchise.
4. Neon White: Another one I'm catching up on, dialogue is cringe but I found the "PS1 import game" hub aesthetic charming especially with steve blum VO setting the tone. Level design was inconsistent in the back half, it's fun to rip through a chain of demons but sometimes you're just mashing the right click, or spinning around trying to find the single window you're supposed to go towards. However the game gives me a medal saying how good at it I am so it gets a thumbs up.

Arrhythmia posted:

:haibrow:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Chants of Shennar

Obra Dinn except deciphering languages instead of solving deaths. Really good! The aesthetic reminds me of Out of this World/Another World which fits really well for exploring confusing alien cultures.

Obra Dinn is probably better but that's just because it's insanely good. This was still really solid

e:lol apparently it's Sennaar? kinda odd I was able to do well at the game if I'm that bad at reading

Martman fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 18, 2024

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
7. Dragon Ball Z Kakarot: Next Gen Update (Normal)

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

congrats on updating your game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

French Accent posted:

congrats on updating your game.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

12) Jupiter Hell

A solid update from Doom RL. I feel like crafting/whiz kid is a step back, but everything else is great. Melee feels fantastic in this, and I could never get it off the ground in Doom RL

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1-20: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4050853&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post537514857

22. Sonic the Hedgehog
23. Sonic CD
24. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
25. Little Nightmares
26. Disco Elysium
27. Little Nightmares II
28. Last Epoch
30. Persona 3 Reload
31. Stray
32. Wonderful 101: Remastered

Still as awesome as I remember. Some of the minigames are a bit frustrating but everything else about the presentation and regular gameplay elevates it. I wish Platinum was still putting out games like this.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

4. Super Mario RPG

What a great way to revisit a stone cold classic. Others have said it better, but I love that this game doesn't overstay its welcome. The vast majority of the game rolls along at a delightful clip, constantly introducing new areas, enemies, characters, and mechanics. I still find some of the minigames annoying and the "random doors" section in Bowser's castle gets a bit tedious, but otherwise, it's just a joy to play. It'll be fun to dig into the post-game after a bit of a break.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Roth posted:

22. Sonic the Hedgehog
23. Sonic CD
24. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
25. Little Nightmares
26. Disco Elysium
27. Little Nightmares II
28. Last Epoch
30. Persona 3 Reload
31. Stray
32. Wonderful 101: Remastered

Still as awesome as I remember. Some of the minigames are a bit frustrating but everything else about the presentation and regular gameplay elevates it. I wish Platinum was still putting out games like this.

starting to think youre kind of the todd rogers of imp zone

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Let me set up my vtuber model and I'll stream for you

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

2) Dragon Quest 1 (GBC)
3) HI-Fi Rush
5) Secret of Evermore
10) Persona 3: Reload (Merciless)

Loved every minute.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

9. Brandish: The Dark Revenant (PSP), 3/20

This was the right kind of old-school dungeon crawler. I actually rented the original Brandish on the SNES in the mid-90s, but couldn't figure it out. The behind-the-back camera was an interesting idea in theory, but unlike the other ports and the original version, they didn't put in a minimap on the screen. Navigation and orientation is atrocious because of it. Not sure why they didn't just do Mode 7, but maybe it looked bad or it was just too early in the system's lifespan for it.

I effectively forgot about the game until a few weeks ago when a friend suggested giving the PSP remake shot. I grew up on tons of DOS dungeon crawlers so I felt right at home with the grid movement and sidestepping and such. The story isn't anything special but the game moves along at a brisk pace even when going for 100% on each floor. Having to fill out each and every map, finding every secret, sounds like a fuckin homework assignment, but thankfully you move at a reasonable pace and the rewards for destroying completion stones are generally helpful and there are quite a few that whip rear end

I say the game has a brisk pace, but there is one exception. It absolutely craters when you end up in The Dark Zone. True to its name, the entire floor is shrouded in darkness, which is annoying enough, but they've also added in pits all over the place at random. On other floors you can figure out where a pit is easily because the ground will have a slightly different texture, or you can just drop a steel ball on the ground to reveal it. It becomes a frustrating experience as you tiptoe around the floor, dealing with strong enemies, pits that can ruin your poo poo, and an annoying teleportation route to the second and thankfully final floor of the zone—which is actually even worse.

Instead of a floor of some random pits, they now have them set up to drop you to the lower floor. This can happen on other floors, though not to this extent. With the entire floor completely black, you have to inch your way across every single square on the map and use what felt like hundreds of those steel balls just to see where the pathway is. AFAIK, that's the only way to figure out where to walk, otherwise you fall to the lower level and either have to make your way back to the teleporter circle on foot to get to the staircase back up, or use a warp spell (which also scales with your level so no matter what, it will cost you all of your MP, hope you love warping, using a potion, warping, using another potion, again and again and again if you end up making a single mistake). It is an agonizing part of the game, and I don't give a gently caress if it was that way when it came out in the 80s or whenever it did. That poo poo loving SUCKS rear end and it should have been left behind. Falcom did loving Oath in Felghana so dont fuckin bullshit me that they arent afraid to change things with a remake or a remaster

The warp spell is also a slight letdown as it only lets you move to any explored square on the floor you're currently on. Hope you picked up that treasure or got 100% on that one place that is now 7 floors down, because you'll still have to warp, use a potion, warp, use a potion, warp, use a potion, etc. to make it back. The good thing is that it lets you bypass annoying puzzles and get to otherwise unreachable spots and the game is good about giving you rewards that don't make it seem like you waste your time.

The music is solid, and it was cool switching back and forth between the remake's soundtrack and the original 8-bit tracks. True to form, Falcom did a great job with updating every song, and there are a handful of standout pieces

I'm interested in trying the sequel on the SFC which has a translation patch (that is apparently well done), as they fixed the major issue with the original and finally added in a minimap that is always visible. I'm a little sad they never opted to remake any of the sequels because there's a lot to like here

So now, idk what the hell I'm moving on to. I guess getting back into Mother 3 in earnest or something else?????

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Been starting and restarting games of this over the last ten years and it took the release of the sequel to get me to finally finish it. Played as a Mystic Knight with a Sorceror main pawn. Really good game, glad I finally beat it. Excited to start the sequel which sounds even better and seems to have addressed my few little nitpicks about this one.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Unicorn Overlord. Makes me want to try the more recent fire emblem games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Working today so some Corn Lord on the shift when I can and FF7 R when I'm home. In corn Lord I just had the game crash, but luckily I wasn't far into the level (it's the side quest in Draconia where your cousin leaves the party and you have to save her before she gets smoked and then continue the rest of the huge rear end level).

In rebirth I'm questing in Corel, can't wait to see Golden Saucer

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

2) Dragon Quest 1 (GBC)
3) HI-Fi Rush
5) Secret of Evermore
10) Persona 3: Reload (Merciless)
11) 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Played this probably a decade ago on the DS and loved it, and I had a blast on this replay on the Steam version. All the modern QoL stuff they added like voice acting and flow charts more than make up for the new final puzzle being kind of lovely.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

25) gunforce ii (arcade)

been aware of this but never actually played it til now and it's neat. it's a run and gun made by the team that would eventually break off from irem and form nazca to make metal slug and it feels like metal slug zero in a lot of ways. it's a little unrefined compared to metal slug but still a good time. there's a couple of irem golf games that are similar where you can see the throughline from them to neo turf masters but where i feel like those are purely historical curiosities this one's fun on its own too

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

8) Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
8. Final Fantasy 16 (Action, Max Item Capacity, Map Complete, Hunt Board Complete)

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

25) gunforce ii (arcade)

been aware of this but never actually played it til now and it's neat. it's a run and gun made by the team that would eventually break off from irem and form nazca to make metal slug and it feels like metal slug zero in a lot of ways. it's a little unrefined compared to metal slug but still a good time. there's a couple of irem golf games that are similar where you can see the throughline from them to neo turf masters but where i feel like those are purely historical curiosities this one's fun on its own too

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

• Like a Dragon: Ishin!
  • The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
  • Like A Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Call of Juarez Gunslinger

Incredibly fun arcade style shoot'em'up. Hasn't missed a beat since release 10+ years ago. You should absolutely play this game if you love being a cowboy. 4/5