Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

it's actually a good little labyrinth game i'm gonna play the first one lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Mrrreeow. This IK’s got claws. (Flipping you off under the table with both hands)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

2. Who stole the coal

e: RIP Toby

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 3, 2024

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Leadthumb posted:

2. Who stole the coal

e: RIP Toby

I was onboard with some villain stealing the naughty lists but it would be trivial for Santa to get more coal. this is the doom 2 of the who stole santas poo poo series.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mega Man X2

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mega man x2

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

1. Mobile Suit Baba

The Baba is You creator made a mashup of his game and Into the Breach and, it's cool and works. It's $4 on itch, short and sweet, and there's some optional objectives for some replayability although I doubt I'll have the patience to complete them all. If you like Baba is You then check this out for sure.

2024 List:
1. Mobile Suit Baba
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Cave Story
4. Forest Grove
5. Storyteller
6. Thomas Was Alone
7. Celeste 64 (100%)
8. Corn Kidz 64
9. Orwell
10. 20 Small Mazes
11. Lies of P (NG+)
12. Cyberhook
13. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Aston fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 26, 2024

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

1. original DOOM, spiderdemon beat.

i beat the first episode when I was a kid and the game was on a floppy, ive never sat down and played the rest. doom owns.

on to doom II.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Some of Doom 2's levels can be an absolute slog but the added monsters and super shotgun make it easy to look past

The factory sucks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i looked up what american mcgees levels were and theyre all in doom ii. hoipe

----------------

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

his levels are actually fairly sick in d2 except for the Waste Tunnels. the problems are all the sandy Peterson maps in the back half that he had to make in like 3 hours each.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
1. Doom (2016)
2. Doom Eternal, Ultra Violence

Really fun games. The shooting by the end when you have all your abilities and upgrades whips rear end. Marauders are loving annoying but all the other demons work as a whole to make encounters varied. I like the low ammo caps but a consistent way to get a refill besides chainsaw would have been cool, hitting weaknesses or something
I kept getting stuck in Eternal because I didn't see some patch of beige climbable wall a mile away or a wall wouldn't crumblr away for three more imps to jump out. Still want to play the ancient gods campaign and ignore the fail cinematics.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

2. Baldur's Gate 3

I finally finished this, I've been playing off and on since release. Unfortunately my playthrough was marred by performance issues, this is by far the worst i've had on my PC (which is getting a bit old now, but still). I wanted to push through because I did like the game a lot, especially Acts 1 and 2, and like most people I found Act 3 a bit of a slog and it's where the performance issues were worst. I might have to replay some time in the future when I've upgraded.

For me, TotK was the better game last year, but I can see why this won, and even with my playtime of 70+ hours I feel like there was a lot I didn't see.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. Tetris Effect Connected

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
1. Descent

An excellent game that my friend described as Doom with spaceships, there's even a pinky analogue with camouflage and an even worse chaingunner than doom's (also in camo variety. fun stuff).
There's a lot of bullshit in this game. Enemies have instant reaction time ala blood cultists, so if youre in a room with 2 chaingunners you might die quite literally a second in the room, less so if you open the door and theres someone on the other side. While the opening animation plays they see you and WILL shoot while youre sitting there with your dick out. The enemies' splash damage with rockets might as well be continent sized while yours is practically nonexistant, making shooting out of corners a hindrance, since the rockets fire out of each side, and one WILL hit the corner next to you. This game is absolutely miserly with health ups, and paired with some truly unfair monster closets, will make you die over and over, with some stages taking as many as 6 lives from me (level 21 with its huge open room with chaingunner spawners is beyond horseshit). I'm not the greatest at fps games but i consider myself capable enough, and even with uncapped turning speed and modern controls that dont require a modifier key to strafe, i got my rear end beat over and over, and by the last third of the game i accepted that i was just gonna lose 4-6 lives per stage.

but i opened with all the negatives just to get them out of the way to remark that despite all that, this game still manages to kick a tremendous amount of rear end. You will die, and it seems the game was designed expecting that, cause lives are plentiful, making deaths just a momentary (but tedious) setback. When the space allows it, and when the enemy encounters are just right, this poo poo feels bananas great, and getting comfortable with the movement and developing the 3d positioning intuition is cool.

And somehow the best part is that they made a redook audio soundtrack for the mac version of all things and it is loving incredible. they got some canadian industrial act called Skinny Puppy and they fuckin nail practically every track. Insane.

i still have lots to say about it, a lot of it negative, but this was one hell of a game to beat. stone cold classic

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

03) mega man x 2 (snes, 100%)

first time finishing this one and i dunno if i was just in a bad mood or something but i did not like it. so much of it just felt like x1 again but annoying. some good new stuff in here for sure, the air dash is great, but i really don't ever want to play this again lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Half of Dracula posted:

I kept getting stuck in Eternal because I didn't see some patch of beige climbable wall a mile away or a wall wouldn't crumblr away for three more imps to jump out. Still want to play the ancient gods campaign and ignore the fail cinematics.

One of my biggest gripes with the game. The platforming controls are responsive at least.

1. Doom 64
2. Duke Nukem Alien World Order episode

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

first time finishing this one and i dunno if i was just in a bad mood or something but i did not like it. so much of it just felt like x1 again but annoying. some good new stuff in here for sure, the air dash is great, but i really don't ever want to play this again lol

i play the original mega man x at least once a year but i only ever beat x2 and x3 once. they just don't hit the same way for me for whatever reason.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

i play the original mega man x at least once a year but i only ever beat x2 and x3 once. they just don't hit the same way for me for whatever reason.

i'm playing x3 right now and granted i'm only like 3 bosses in but so far i like it way way more than 2

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

X1 and X2 are annual replays for me. hell, every few months, honestly.

X3 fills me with this strange feeling of malaise, like i'm playing through an unsettling fever dream. the game is a mess. the instrument samples they used in the soundtrack sound terrible compared to the first two games. the big flickering orb that forms around you every time you get hit after you get the armor upgrade is super annoying. there are too many additional collectibles/upgrades. the secret gold armor is ugly. etc. it's cool that you can have X get Zero's saber at the end of the game though.

X4 on the other hand is incredible and it's the game X3 should have been.

everything after that sucks.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

tmfc posted:

X1 and X2 are annual replays for me. hell, every few months, honestly.

X3 fills me with this strange feeling of malaise, like i'm playing through an unsettling fever dream. the game is a mess. the instrument samples they used in the soundtrack sound terrible compared to the first two games. the big flickering orb that forms around you every time you get hit after you get the armor upgrade is super annoying. there are too many additional collectibles/upgrades. the secret gold armor is ugly. etc. it's cool that you can have X get Zero's saber at the end of the game though.

X4 on the other hand is incredible and it's the game X3 should have been.

everything after that sucks.

This, all of it. X3 is a turd sadly, and the "anything after 4 sucks" rule applies to the nes games and the mmz games as well.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Leadthumb posted:

This, all of it. X3 is a turd sadly, and the "anything after 4 sucks" rule applies to the nes games and the mmz games as well.

I like MM5 and 6. Hell 8 is fun even though nearly every stage is a drat gimmick and 9 and 10 are good. 11 is good too actually

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 4, 2024

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i hated MM8 as a kid because it was cutesy and gimmicky but when i finally actually played all the way through it last year i had a blast.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mega man 5 is fine even if it's not as good as mega man 1 - 3. i can't tell if i don't like mega man 6 because it's actually bad or because by the time i get to it i'm always burned out, lol.

i think mega man 8 is the only flagship one i never beat, but i don't think i would replay the new retro ones. they were good but they feel like one and done kind of games to me.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I like MM9, 10 and 11 the most

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I like the Gameboy ones. :shobon:

----------------

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

I like the Gameboy ones. :shobon:

i always forget about them, but the concept of doing like half the bosses/stage elements from one mega man game and half the bosses from another one seems like a good way to make it fresher than just "the NES games but scaled down." i can't remember if they did that for the whole series or just some of them

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-uAPK98Obc

:cry:

----------------

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
megaman 9 owns

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Mm8 is good. X4 is the best mmx game.

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

x1 but annoying describes x2 to a t lol. it has some awesome music and its not a terrible game but it definitely feels rushed compared to how nearly perfect X1 is

X3 is a nightmare. all i remember is incredibly annoying bosses and the final boss having a tiny pixel head hitbox as the only point they took damage while they filled the screen with bullshit

----------------

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

04) mega man x 3 (snes, 99% because i hosed up the z-saber mini boss and i'm definitely not really mad about it)

way better than x2 lol. i'd beaten this one as a kid at least once but all i remembered is the above screenshot. challenging without feeling like every enemy and upgrade is placed for maximum annoyance, the bosses arent irritating slogs, and it feels like it actually does a bunch of cool new stuff and feels like a real sequel. playing as zero is sick, updash is sick, gold armor is sick and makes you feel like god. 2 dashes is more than mortal man deserves. not perfect by any means, the ride armor stuff is really superfluous, there's some less than ideal checkpoints, too much of a tendency to put spikes and pits at the bottom of falls, being able to die as zero exactly once for the entire game is a little too punishing, and the final boss kinda sucks. his head is too drat tiny. get a bigger fuckin head. but i like it. i definitely prefer the purity of x1, that's a game i can just blast through whenever, all killer no filler, and this one has so much crap to do and find that it doesn't fit that role but i like that it's different.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://twitter.com/t9qozS3pBWHntyw/status/1640142254315835392

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ArfJason posted:

Mm8 is good. X4 is the best mmx game.

I know

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014