Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

6. Super Mario Bros. 3 (all levels, repeat)
Just as good as I remember it being. All the world's have a cool theme, the levels have cool tricks that make you want to yell at the screen in a good way, the power-ups are weird and awesome, and there's so much to interact with. Getting three star cards to get the 5-up made a huge difference frequently in my run and the memory game can be a lifesaver. My calm freakout moment was saving all my P-wings up and then trying to use one on the star man piranha level in world 7 (if you try this, you have to drop down to a place where the level is filled with the little plants and you have to duck under a low pipe, essentially ensuring that you die, lol). Didn't achieve my dream of beating Bowser in the full hammer bros. suit and my kids didn't think the Princess's joke at the end was very funny. Maybe next time.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Just kidding. Ha ha ha. Bye bye.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops posted:

My calm freakout moment was saving all my P-wings up and then trying to use one on the star man piranha level in world 7 (if you try this, you have to drop down to a place where the level is filled with the little plants and you have to duck under a low pipe, essentially ensuring that you die, lol).

lmao

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Just kidding. Ha ha ha. Bye bye.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Did I mention I beat Dragons Winma 2. Pmbuy it now at full price.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

its insane how fuckin good dd2 is. absolutely godlike game. its literally just 1 but bigger nd with like three things changed and some wild new jank. i guess thats all you need to make a perfect game

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

dragon's dogma on my monitor makes me happy, dragon's dogma in my eyes can make me cry, dragon's dogma on my hard drive looks so lovely, dragon's dogma almost always makes me high

if I had a game, that I could give you, I'd give to you a game just like this one

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

11) final fantasy 16 - i laughed, i cried, i got hype af. loved the characters, the story, the gameplay. could've used more variance in its sidequests but otherwise i'm gonna be thinking about this game for a long time

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

10. Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (PSP) 4/18

Kind of a random choice but it only took about a day to rescue everyone and get most of the stages done. I love the original and the remake does some things well but I feel like it sticks close to the original formula almost too much for its own good. Also the 3d models definitely have some weird hit detection or hit boxes because even when accounting for when certain bosses have iframes, watching richter's whip sail clearly through an enemy model was annoying as gently caress.

Right after I finished the modern version I went back to the PCE one and you can't gently caress with perfection when it comes to the sprites, its so good

Richter's English va is pretty bad and the dude doing dracula suffers from that issue of sounding like a massive goony rear end dude doing his absolute best to sound imposing but instead it's funny lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
yeah i dont really like the 3d remake but normal rondo ftw forever. i like the english voice acting too because it sounds era appropriately corny. extremely turbografx cd sounding

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

7. Super Mario Bros. (all levels, repeat)
This took me longer than I expected, especially after getting pretty good at Mario World and Mario 3. I lost a ton. (To clarify the all levels run, when I game overed, I used warp zones to get back. world 4-1 is a lot easier for me than anything between 1-2 and 3-4, lol. I used a guide (Nintendo Power Game Atlas) on the two bullshit levels that make you take a specific path through Bowser's castle. Also on 8-4 once I remembered it was a pipe maze.

I'd beat this about two years ago, and what I remember is true: the spinning fire rods and hammer bros. cost you most of your lives up until world 8, where all the challenge is. I thought the staircases being mean and hammer bros. not on blocks started before world 8, but those both are both world 8 things. it's also the only world that forces you to drop onto the one panel block, sprint across the small holes, and super jump over a big pit.

But playing it with my oldest, who can beat a couple levels now, felt different. Not to be all Kotaku writer but I was older than he is when I got an NES (I'd been playing on an Intellevision for a few years). something about the way he watches, plays and talks about Super Mario Bros. made me remember what it was like when it was new. Like, Pitfall was the closest game I'd experienced and even if every level of Mario Bros. had just been the grasslands goombas and Koopa Troopas with the two power ups, it was such a huge improvement on Pitfall. then 1-2 is in the dark and has elevators, and you can jump outside of the level and they have an answer for when you do. then there are mushroom trees and a fire castle, and after you beat what seems like the end boss, it doesn't just restart you from the beginning. just when you think you have your poo poo together, there's a water level and then a bridge full of flying fish. I typed more words about this than Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth and i played that for over 100 hours. thank you, Super Mario.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Even now imps don't know you can hold A and press start on the title screen to start at the beginning of world you game overed on...

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

yeah i dont really like the 3d remake but normal rondo ftw forever. i like the english voice acting too because it sounds era appropriately corny. extremely turbografx cd sounding

yeah that's a fair point on the voice acting lol. I played PCE Rondo a long time ago with that patch that adds in both English text and the modern dub and it's funny how appropriate it ends up sounding, like some alternate universe where Konami actually released it outside of Japan

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Case of the Golden Idol (main story)

that was badass. for the first several sections I liked the interface and learning how to put the pieces together, but the story being presented felt kinda random and disconnected. It comes together really nicely though and I love the way it asks you to build that context connecting the different snapshots. The weird art really fits the vibe too, it's gruesome while being goofy enough that it's never too grim. Excited to try the DLC.

It was pretty short but didn't it didn't feel like it had to be longer

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Martman posted:

The Case of the Golden Idol (main story)

Oh cool, this sounds great! I've been wanting more investigation gameplay after finishing Blade Runner the other day, so I'll have to look into this - thanks

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Tametsi - All regular puzzles

insanely hard hexcells style game. really tough but gratfying. the bonus puzzles are psychotic and i have no idea how some of these are even solvable

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I will beat Dragons Dogma 2 until the day I die.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I will beat Dragons Dogma 2 until the day I die.

keep beating, im reloading (a new game save file)

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

7. Super Mario Bros. (all levels, repeat)

couple of my friends have kids old enough to game now and it's so sick. kid walking around and making his dad read the dialogue with all the bugs in hollow knight even though he's heard it a hundred times, then going outside and playing pretend Boss Battles with his "aunt" on the porch. sharing the joy of gaming with kids ftmfw

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arch Nemesis posted:

couple of my friends have kids old enough to game now and it's so sick. kid walking around and making his dad read the dialogue with all the bugs in hollow knight even though he's heard it a hundred times, then going outside and playing pretend Boss Battles with his "aunt" on the porch. sharing the joy of gaming with kids ftmfw

lol yeah, they play Mario "in real life" where they invent various power ups to use against each other and basically just run around.the house. they've been to a beach, three playgrounds, the children's museum, a friend's house, the zoo, my parents' house, three restaurants, and a AAA baseball game this week, so i don't feel guilty about how much time we're spending just playing video games or pretending to play them.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

10) Free Stars (Star Control II) The Ur-Quan Masters

game rules.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

1) A Plague Tale: Innocence
2) Dragon Quest 1 (GBC)
3) HI-Fi Rush
4) A Plague Tale: Requiem
5) Secret of Evermore
6) Granblue Fantasy: Relink (Final Chapter Credits)
7) Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (Immortal)
8) Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
9) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
10) Persona 3: Reload (Merciless)
11) 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
12) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Justice for All
13) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations

Great end to an outstanding trilogy. The last case doesn't make a lot of sense but it's so dramatic and unfolds so cool that it doesn't really matter. Godot owns.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

11. Dragon's Dogma 2

uhhh whoops, I didn't realize I was at a point of no return and suddenly the credits were rolling. Game's amazing, just like DDDA. I'm starting NG+ immediately to do the things I missed.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

11. Dragon's Dogma 2

uhhh whoops, I didn't realize I was at a point of no return and suddenly the credits were rolling. Game's amazing, just like DDDA. I'm starting NG+ immediately to do the things I missed.

Same thing happened to me lol.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I carried an old man to the place and immediately the credits started rolling lmfao.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

11. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PCE), 4/20

Went back to the PCE-CD version just to compare a few things with the remake and remembered how much this game loving owns. sat down and spent the early afternoon beating it and rescuing everyone. Only missed one alternate stage because I couldn't remember how the hell to find it, but I think it unlocks when you beat Dracula???? Not sure, had a blast either way and this is tied with Super Castlevania as the best Classicvania imo

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

4. Dragon's Dogma 2

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lets hang out posted:

4. Dragon's Dogma 2

This is loving awesome! 🎵

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It’s almost certainly my game of 24 and I will likely decline to name another until Jeff Kaplan fixed season 8 of Diablo 5 in 2027. After me and Bob get our motherfucking loot on 36 hours straight of non stop Win four weekends in a row of course.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

genuinely love that wormskull talks about DD2 like it's a religion, lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

9. Plutonia, Hurt Me Plenty Continuous style. Loved revisiting this, it only has one bad level (MAP20) and a handful of iffy ones but since everything is a tight 7 minute construction you never get dragged down by the lows and theres probably another high right around the corner. Thank you casali bros.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

He’s right

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Sub-Actuality posted:

He’s right

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Sub-Actuality posted:

He’s right

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Revenge of Shinobi -- Rambo, the Terminator, Spiderman, Batman and Godzilla are all dead. Neo ZEED is in shambles.

This game is marred by enemies shooting you from offscreen, leaps of faith, and the most finicky double jump ever. Other than that it's great (especially for 1989.)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Revenge of the Shinobi - Gandalf the Grey, Gandalf the White, Monty Python and the Holy Grail's Black Knight, Benito Mussolini, The Blue Meanie, Cowboy Curtis, Jambie the Genie, Robocop, the Terminator, Captain Kirk, Darth Vader, Lo -Pan, Superman, Every Single Power Ranger, Bill S Preston, Theodore Logan, Spock, The Rock, Doc Ock, and Hulk Hogan are all dead.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Jambie the Genie

NO!

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

get his rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

Revenge of the Shinobi - Gandalf the Grey, Gandalf the White, Monty Python and the Holy Grail's Black Knight, Benito Mussolini, The Blue Meanie, Cowboy Curtis, Jambie the Genie, Robocop, the Terminator, Captain Kirk, Darth Vader, Lo -Pan, Superman, Every Single Power Ranger, Bill S Preston, Theodore Logan, Spock, The Rock, Doc Ock, and Hulk Hogan are all dead.