Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
2023 list

2024 list:
01) omega boost (ps1, cleared campaign play on normal)
02) mega man x (snes, 100%)
03) mega man x 2 (snes, 100%)
04) mega man x 3 (snes, 99% because i hosed up the z-saber mini boss and i'm definitely not really mad about it)
05) mega man x 4 (ps1, 100% with x)
05.5) mega man x 4 (ps1, 100% with zero)
06) mega man x 5 (ps1, all hearts, subtanks, and armor upgrades with x)
07) blue stinger (dreamcast)
08) mega man maverick hunter x (psp, 100% with x and vile on normal mode)
09) ore no ryouri (ps1, beat on normal mode)
10) sonic adventure (dreamcast, all character stories complete)
11) makai toushi SaGa (wonderswan color)
12) bionic commando (nes, all areas clear and items obtained)
13) metal slug 3 (arcade)
14) sonic the hedgehog 2 (genesis, all emeralds as sonic alone)
15) crazy taxi (dreamcast, s ranked arcade mode with b.d. joe)
16) battle clash (snes)

17) super metroid map rando (snes, 90% items in 5 hours)
18) jumping flash! 2 (ps1, cleared normal and extra mode)
19) super mario 64 (n64, 120 stars)
20) splatoon 3: side order (switch, all palettes reconfigured)
21) ninja five-o (gba, cleared on normal)
22) final fantasy vii rebirth (ps5)
23) katamari damacy (ps2)
24) pizza tower (pc, 92% tower completion with the noise)
25) gunforce ii (arcade)
26) dragon ball z budokai (ps2, cleared main story scenarios)
27) teenage mutant hero turtles: fall of the foot clan (game boy)
28) harmful park (ps1)
29) sonic r (saturn, 1st place on all tracks with knuckles)
30) super mario land (game boy, cleared first loop)
31) dynamite headdy (genesis, cleared game with all four secret digits)
32) star fox 64 (nintendo 64, venom via area 6)

33) dance dance revolution konamix (ps1, all songs unlocked and cleared on basic with b ranking or better)
34) dragon ball z budokai 2 (ps2, cleared dragon world mode)
35) mega man legends (ps1, cleared on normal)
36) bushido blade (ps1, cleared story mode as utsusemi with broadsword)
37) dancing furby (game boy color, cleared dance mode on all difficulties)
38) pokerogue (pc, cleared classic mode)
39) minnesota fats: pool legend (saturn, cleared story mode)
40) alien vs predator (arcade, cleared with linn)
41) dragon ball z budokai 3 (ps2, cleared dragon universe mode with all default characters)

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

01) omega boost (ps1, cleared campaign play on normal)

i played it again

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 2, 2024

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

02) mega man x (snes, 100%)

trapped in 2023 send help

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

03) mega man x 2 (snes, 100%)

first time finishing this one and i dunno if i was just in a bad mood or something but i did not like it. so much of it just felt like x1 again but annoying. some good new stuff in here for sure, the air dash is great, but i really don't ever want to play this again lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

i play the original mega man x at least once a year but i only ever beat x2 and x3 once. they just don't hit the same way for me for whatever reason.

i'm playing x3 right now and granted i'm only like 3 bosses in but so far i like it way way more than 2

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

04) mega man x 3 (snes, 99% because i hosed up the z-saber mini boss and i'm definitely not really mad about it)

way better than x2 lol. i'd beaten this one as a kid at least once but all i remembered is the above screenshot. challenging without feeling like every enemy and upgrade is placed for maximum annoyance, the bosses arent irritating slogs, and it feels like it actually does a bunch of cool new stuff and feels like a real sequel. playing as zero is sick, updash is sick, gold armor is sick and makes you feel like god. 2 dashes is more than mortal man deserves. not perfect by any means, the ride armor stuff is really superfluous, there's some less than ideal checkpoints, too much of a tendency to put spikes and pits at the bottom of falls, being able to die as zero exactly once for the entire game is a little too punishing, and the final boss kinda sucks. his head is too drat tiny. get a bigger fuckin head. but i like it. i definitely prefer the purity of x1, that's a game i can just blast through whenever, all killer no filler, and this one has so much crap to do and find that it doesn't fit that role but i like that it's different.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

05) mega man x 4 (ps1, 100% with x)

good. a lot more streaightforward and dialed back than 3 which isn't a bad thing even if i liked x3, there probably only needs to be one of these games that are like that. the upgrades don't feel iterative like they did in the first 3 games and i miss some of the powers from 3 like up/double dash but some of the new stuff in here's cool like the head upgrade being unlimited uncharged special weapon ammo and the plasma shot finally being a straight no caveats upgrade to the buster. also ride armor just being a stage element again instead of a weird mostly useless collectable category makes a lot more sense. i think some of the stage design is maybe a bit TOO straightforward, all the upgrades and stuff were pretty obvious, and there's no super secret upgrade like the first three games. also the bosses feel a little slow to beat even with their weaknesses. lotta iframes on those guys. final sigma's kind of a pain in the rear end too but not as much as x3's. good game though. ill do a zero run soon

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

elf help book posted:

splitting the x games into 2 sets is such a good joke

yeah its really funny that collection 2 is all the really terrible ones

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

bloodstained ftw

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

05.5) mega man x 4 (ps1, 100% with zero)

zero's cool and most of his moves are fun but he kinda gets hosed over by how many iframes all the bosses have worse than x does. still it's cool they fully fleshed him out and made him his own character here instead of just being x with a sword swipe after his charge shot. probably gonna play x5 because it'll be funny then stop

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

06) mega man x 5 (ps1, all hearts, subtanks, and armor upgrades with x)

this is the only megaman game one of my friends as a kid had so i have nostalgia for it despite retaining basically no knowledge of the details of it. went in wanting to be a contrarian and like it, but it's basically indefensible lol. it has some Ideas but they're all executed incredibly strangely and not explained adequately or at all, and it's all weighed down by some truly awful stage and boss design (on top of it retaining the x4 problem of the bosses having too many iframes). it's kinda neat that you start out with x4's upgraded armor even though they nerfed plasma shot. falcon armor's kiiiinda cool but underpowered feeling and gaea armor is mostly terrible. i wish the ultimate armor was like a combination of the strengths of both new armors instead of literally just the cheat code armor from x4. and on top of all this you get interrupted every 10 seconds by a tutorial character telling you to jump on the platforms. It's Bad. best boss music in the series though. anyway i'm done playing mega man x games

1 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 5 > I Do Not Wish To Play The Rest Of This Series

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 8, 2024

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

ArfJason posted:

agreed on the maverick theme being the best in the series, and the theme for the zero virus stage is godly.. i like the apocalyptic vibe full of finality, especially if zero dies, and its a shame the game itself isnt up to snuff. gently caress alia, too.

anyway never play x6 cause if you thought this was bad you aint seen nothing yet. incredible soundtrack in that one too, tho.

oh yeah im aware it gets worse somehow lol. stoppin here for a reason

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i'll play x6 in 4 years when it's the game club 2028 january pick

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

that was yoshis story for me

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i wasnt hype for quest 64 so it didnt disappoint me the way yoshis story did. i rented it multiple times for some reason probably because it was so weird and confusing

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

oddium posted:

when i was in second grade i traded another kid my yoshi's story for blast corp

gamer move

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

07) blue stinger (dreamcast)

super janky and definitely has its down moments but i liked it overall. very stupid and charming. the people who made this would go on to make illbleed and this is kinda like a somewhat more reigned in, traditional flavor of that. that being said it's still weird as hell just not as devoted to being in your face ridiculous like illbleed. its good.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

08) mega man maverick hunter x (psp, 100% with x and vile on normal mode)

"i've had this sitting around unplayed forever, i just finished x1-5, if not now then when" is what i thought to myself before loading the game up and finding out just like gitaroo man lives last year i somehow had a finished save i completely erased from my memory. so i played it through with x again and vile for the first time. this is ok. there's some stuff to like but there's so many weird changes that gently caress with the flow of the game. and they made the sigma stages way more annoying. vile mode is interesting but also really annoying for most of the playthrough, you start so weak and limited and they just dump super tanky enemies everywhere and make the collectibles a pain in the rear end to get. the x and zero 1v2 at the end is cool though

adjusted ranking:

1 > 4 > 3 > MHX > 2 > 5 > I Do Not Wish To Play The Rest Of This Series

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 20, 2024

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

09) ore no ryouri (ps1, beat on normal mode)

been meaning to play this for forever and game club was finally the impetus. pretty fun, very hectic and tense. very easy to pick up even if you don't understand japanese. the duels can go south on you pretty fast which is only slightly annoying because you have to go through the restaurant phase to get back to them but other than that, good poo poo imo

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

ArfJason posted:

Stranglehold
https://i.imgur.com/toy2A5B.mp4

game doesnt always work, but when it does it feels incredible.

its a bit tough getting tequila to do what you want, and sometimes when theres two railings next to each other, hell jump to the wrong one, either sending you sliding down when you didnt want to or hop to a regular one for him to stand like a douchebag. its hard to tell where enemies are spawning, as this game has some *serious* problems with visibility, given some areas can be real fuckin visually noisy, and it can spam you with a lot of dudes a lot of fast.

https://i.imgur.com/AJ7cw9e.mp4

the game makes up for a lot of its shortcomings by having such an insane amount of style, and they understood that the reason hardboiled's teahouse shootout works is because theres exploding bursting debris and poo poo flying all over the screen in slow motion, so theres a LOT of destructibles and explosions and particles. they put an insane amount of work on some of these environments and it shows, and theres a lot of neat environmental kills by like, shooting down a neon sign on a guy, or breaking a dinosaur skeleton so that it crushes a guy. sadly these seem to become mostly forgotten as the game goes on, stacking a whole bunch of them at the start to wow you, and the only visual indicator being a small glint you can barely see when youre getting shot at by a billion dudes. this often results in seeing a chandelier or neon sign ready to be shot at and cause mayhem just after the smoke clears and you wiped the floor with every dude in hong kong.

https://i.imgur.com/cZOLPZA.mp4

its got this simple but fun skill shot system where stunts and poo poo give you more stars, which charge up a meter for special moves, most of them useful, but stuff i was a bit hesitant to use, which made most of the pickups a bit wasted cause i didnt wanna just use the one that makes you invincible every half a minute.

If you like max payne or fear or any of that poo poo, you gotta play this fucker. the fact that a sequel was in development but midway died is pretty sad, cause with some refining and even higher production values this could have easily been one of the greats. it falls a tad short but it still kicks an insane amount of rear end and is worth at least one playthru. farewell

stranglehold ftw

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

10) sonic adventure (dreamcast, all character stories complete)

sometimes in life you need to sit down for 11 hours and play sonic adventure from start to finish. anyway game good

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

mahjong is ftw but i will never understand shogi

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

It's chess where you can put pieces back

yeah but all the pieces have weird letters on them and theres 30 different ones and they move all hosed up. i aint keeping track of all that

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

11) makai toushi SaGa (wonderswan color)

i played through the gb version of this for the first time a couple of years ago and i feel basically the same way i did then. extremely basic little rpg, dictionary definition of fine, very clearly the first handheld rpg ever and a neat historical curiosity. but still interesting and just engaging enough to see through. the systems are weird but not weird in a way that's super challenging or even requires you to know exactly how they work. the wonderswan version is cool, i like the upgraded music and the little visual touches, and everything regarding using a monster is way less of a pain in the rear end. good

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 28, 2024

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

yeah i got to the 2nd world in that and it was good but i fell off. ill probably start that back up sometime soon

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

stream catchup

12) bionic commando (nes, all areas clear and items obtained)
it's a tossup between this and punch out for my favorite nes game and yeah it still kicks rear end. needing to equip specific transceivers and not signposting that you can exit the trick boss room in the final level are its only sins

13) metal slug 3 (arcade)
still the best metal slug and i do not care of your counter arguments. that said the second half of the space shooter segment absolutely does not need to be there

14) sonic the hedgehog 2 (genesis, all emeralds as sonic alone)
was very sleepy by the time i got to this and turned in the most dogshit performance of my life. didn't get the 7th emerald til the very last checkpoint in the game. anyway it's still good and i like it but the back half is way weaker than the front half and the special stages suck even when i'm wide awake

15) crazy taxi (dreamcast, s ranked arcade mode with b.d. joe)
this game's just a fuckin good time man. immediately satisfying gameplay and perfect vibe. i really hope sega doesn't try to make the new one some commentary on rideshares and the gig economy or some bullshit and just focuses on making it fun. set it in an alternate universe 2024 where there's still taxis or just make it eternally 2000 or something

16) battle clash (snes)
neat for a super scope game. it's a boss rush thing where you duel a bunch of mechs and all their parts are destructible. it's pretty thin gameplay wise but i hear the sequel is more fleshed out

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

etrian is epic and it only gets better from 1. enjoy

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

personally i thought it to be Mid, wasnt into the dungeons and the gameplay just kind of felt like a weak persona and weak etrian mushed together, but i wouldnt say to outright avoid it or anything

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

correct

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

trying to jack off posted:

its universally agreed upon that 3 is better than world

this

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Fungah! posted:

agreed. but dont sleep on 4u and generations

lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

17) super metroid map rando (snes, 90% items in 5 hours)

this rules. it's super metroid randomizer but it shuffles the map around now and you can get super granular with the options and what techniques you know how to do and make it as hosed up/not hosed up as you can handle. i got forced into fighting ridley as the first boss with the entire rest of the game behind him and it was extremely hosed up but cool lol, had to do half the fight doing wave beam combo and space jumping around the arena avoiding him. and at the end you still have to do the escape sequence through the entire map between the mother brain room and your ship, and you can get even stupider and force having to save the animals to add another stop during it. some nice qol stuff too. great way to replay a classic

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

its bad rear end

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

18) jumping flash! 2 (ps1, cleared normal and extra mode)

this is the same drat game as jumping flash 1 which is to say it's delightful

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

ArfJason posted:

There are too many good and or interesting games to waste time on something that seems functional but mediocre

mediocre is generous

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

19) super mario 64 (n64, 120 stars)

anyone ever heard of this

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Mamkute posted:

6. Ary and the Secret of Seasons (Normal, Max Hearts)

lol. proud to have worked on a mamkute game

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

20) splatoon 3: side order (switch, all palettes reconfigured)

pretty good. nothing revolutionary or mindblowing but they made a roguelite out of splatoon and it works pretty well. the mechanics of splatoon lend themselves to this style of thing nicely, they give you a bunch of fun upgrade parameters to play around with, and it does a good job of making you feel strong by the end of a run. it is on the easy side of things and i wish there was a little more to it whether it be objective types or maps or enemies or whatever but i've already finished a dozen runs and i will more than likely finish a bunch more

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

gamer hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

21) ninja five-o (gba, cleared on normal)

havent played all the way through this since high school probably and it still owns. very obviously a budget game but they nailed the movement and mechanics so it just feels great to play. forgot how tough it gets too. probably do a hard mode run when impmas rolls around