Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

1) Cave Story+ (Normal, Best ending) (1/10)
2) SMT Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon (1/13)
3) Elden Ring (Age of Stars) (1/30)
4) Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling (1/31)
5) Medium-Naut (S Rank) (2/3)
6) Yakuza Kiwami 2 (2/20)
7) Ninja Five-Oh (2/27)
8) Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (3/23)
9) Yoku's Island Express (All quests and upgrades) (4/1)
10) Free Stars (Star Control II) The Ur-Quan Masters (4/19)
11) Astlibra Revision (Hell difficulty, true ending, all items and gear) (4/21)
12) Night in the Woods (4/25)
13) Resident Evil Village (Normal/Shadows of Rose Hardcore) (4/29)

Arch Nemesis fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

1) Cave Story+ (Normal, Best ending)

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

2) SMT Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon (Chaos path)

good game.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

3) Elden Ring (Age of Stars)

Did pretty much everything; missed a couple NPC questlines and killed dung eater instead of doing his.

Absolutely the best feeling version of Souls combat so far, though I really prefer Sekiro over this style now. The world is great and the bosses are hella cool, but I don't like open world games much and this was no exception. I did eventually learn how to navigate the map and explore effectively, and the way it fits together like a puzzle is inspiring design, but the open world here made me tired where TotK energized me. I'm looking forward to the DLC but the open world and massive length mean I won't revisit this as quickly as I have the Souls games/BB/Sekiro.

Still a 9/10. Ranni 4ever

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

4) Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling

really neat paper mario clone, obviously made with a lot of love. not as funny as PM, though it's cute, and I miss being able to switch out a variety of helpers, but the difficulty is really challenging in a good way and there are tons of side quests. remarkable enemy count, music, huge amount of content. good.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

5) Medium-Naut (S Rank)

short metroidvania from the creator of la-mulana. you're a spirit medium with a gun investigating a haunted crashed ship. it's got pretty environments/art and decent music, and a really cool concept where, when you find certain crew/passengers, they'll offer you an upgrade in exchange for a portion of your maximum hp. deciding what's worth trading for is an interesting challenge. exploration is partly puzzle-based, putting clues together from text on the ship, but not nearly as involved as la-mulana. there are multiple paths through the game depending on which upgrades you take when

but, it's tough to tell which upgrades are actually good, and weapon upgrades overwrite each other but you don't get your hp back. the combat is a slog, with only a few enemy types that often feel like bullet sponges. it's pretty easy to get locked out of 100% on your first play just cause you guessed wrong somewhere, and it took me 2 runs to get a perfect rank.

overall it's a neat curiosity but hard to recommend unless you really love la-mulana and want to see something else the creator made

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

Say that to my face, you old rear end bitch

lol

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Alan Wake rules

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

6) Yakuza Kiwami 2

calling this one done. I suck rear end at the batting cages but did almost everything else. story ruled, majima saga was great, most fun I've had with one of these yet. got a little more into the minigames, actually learned how mahjong and koi-koi work. Yakuza ftw

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

7) Ninja Five-Oh

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

8) Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

9) Yoku's Island Express (All quests and upgrades)

cute little indie, little like Ori but with the movement and puzzles based on pinball. pretty fun, though some of the optional stuff is a little frustrating if you miss a tight timing window. check it out if a breezy metroidvania with pinball sounds fun

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

hour 5 of a slow-motion tear running down mike mulligan's face as he cries for steam shovel (with expanded lore)

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Mamkute posted:

putting out the flame war before it starts by saying all of them are great

*reluctantly moving my usb charging cable from my gauss sniper rifle back to my lilikoi-mango vape pen*

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

7. Super Mario Bros. (all levels, repeat)

couple of my friends have kids old enough to game now and it's so sick. kid walking around and making his dad read the dialogue with all the bugs in hollow knight even though he's heard it a hundred times, then going outside and playing pretend Boss Battles with his "aunt" on the porch. sharing the joy of gaming with kids ftmfw

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

10) Free Stars (Star Control II) The Ur-Quan Masters

game rules.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

11) Astlibra Revision (Hell difficulty, true ending, all items and gear)

very cool 2D action RPG, appreciate the rec from EE. I really liked how the system rewarded perseverance in finding secrets and using all the gear you find, in that you get new permanent abilities when you master any individual gear piece. the grow/karon/libra/possession systems all add a ton of depth and being able to respec at any time gives you a lot of creativity in how you want to approach a situation. the combat flows really well and good use of possessions for invincibility is very rewarding.

I ended up turning Berserker on right after Agni and basically never turning it off again (except for All Stars) just because on Hell difficulty, everything has so much hp and does so much damage that I felt more like dying ten (or 30) times quickly and downing bosses fast than going slowly. bleed sucks to deal with when any damage kills you, since it makes possessing or backstepping through bleed attacks unsafe. towards the end of the game it gets very visually noisy, and a lot of boss attacks aren't necessary signaled well unless you have their patterns memorized (looking at levin in the party of braves in particular), which got frustrating in places; you also can't safely use some of the endgame possessions because they fill up the screen too much or leave you in a vulnerable position.

even with all those complaints though the combat was thrilling and felt great to do right. the drip feed of new combat techniques in hidden chests would have been annoying in any other game but felt awesome here, though I wish there was a little more control differentiation in some of the moves (for instance, accidentally activating zero g when trying to armor slash)

I think a lot of the female characters in the game must have had really sore boobs, they way they bounced around all the time

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

12) Night in the Woods

friend gifted this one to me. wasn't sold on it at first but it won me over. cute mumblecore-y visual novel about a girl who quit college for unclear reasons to move back home to her parents' place in the sticks. takes an unexpected horror twist. cool stuff here about life, obligation, friendship, hardship and compassion. good music, and I really appreciated how the creators managed to make the town live with little touches that feel familiar to anyone who's lived in a small town. it's funny in places and made me cry once unexpectedly when the main character takes a nap, probably mostly for girl-poo poo enjoyers but idk. it's good.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

13) Resident Evil Village (Normal/Shadows of Rose Hardcore)

feels a bit like the re4 to 7's re1. lots of cool stuff here, good RE mix of puzzles/exploration/combat. better generic enemy encounters than 7 had, though I felt that the environments and boss fights were weaker overall. 7 was just so cool. I wish they'd done more with Lady D's stalking; she felt lackluster compared to Mr. X or even Nemesis. this one also felt significantly easier on normal difficulty than others in the series.

though the boss fights weren't as good, I thought the characterization of all the NPCs was probably the best of any RE I've played. interesting that both these games chose to hit the theme of family so hard when it's not really present in the rest of the series. every significant character except Chris and Duke I guess is fighting for family in one or more ways. Mia is still irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Hey man. If you need someone to talk to my DMs are open.

lol