Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

1. Mobile Suit Baba

The Baba is You creator made a mashup of his game and Into the Breach and, it's cool and works. It's $4 on itch, short and sweet, and there's some optional objectives for some replayability although I doubt I'll have the patience to complete them all. If you like Baba is You then check this out for sure.

2024 List:
1. Mobile Suit Baba
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Cave Story
4. Forest Grove
5. Storyteller
6. Thomas Was Alone
7. Celeste 64 (100%)
8. Corn Kidz 64
9. Orwell
10. 20 Small Mazes
11. Lies of P (NG+)
12. Cyberhook
13. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Aston fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

2. Baldur's Gate 3

I finally finished this, I've been playing off and on since release. Unfortunately my playthrough was marred by performance issues, this is by far the worst i've had on my PC (which is getting a bit old now, but still). I wanted to push through because I did like the game a lot, especially Acts 1 and 2, and like most people I found Act 3 a bit of a slog and it's where the performance issues were worst. I might have to replay some time in the future when I've upgraded.

For me, TotK was the better game last year, but I can see why this won, and even with my playtime of 70+ hours I feel like there was a lot I didn't see.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

3. Cave Story (normal ending)

I haven't played this in a long time and I'm impressed how well it holds up. It's a lot shorter than I remember.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

4. Forest Grove

A first person detective game in the style of something like Scene Investigators/The Painscreek Killings/Paradise Killer. It has a gimmick where you are inside a nanobot powered recreation of the crime scene instead of the actual scene itself, although I'm not sure what this is supposed to add to the experience. It's got a sort of "open world" (where the world is one house) structure where you can investigate as long as you want and then submit your findings and get a grade. My grade wasn't great so I missed some things, I might go back and try for something higher but the last like 90 minutes or so was spent combing every corner for the one piece of evidence I'd missed and it took some of the momentum out of it. It's very short for the price and while I did enjoy some of the mystery solving, overall it wasn't one of the better detective games I've played.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

5. Storyteller

A puzzle game about using elements to make a comic strip that matches the title of the story you're given. Pretty fun, and I liked the little twists you sometimes get when you finish the puzzle that ask you to redo it in an unexpected way. It only took a couple hours and was included with Netflix.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

6. Thomas Was Alone

A puzzle-platformer, I guess, with a Stanley Parable-style voiceover narrator and a story about AIs gaining awareness. I wasn't really a fan, the gameplay wasn't great, none of the puzzles were that hard and the platforming didn't feel very tight. It was also quite tedious, there's more than a few times where you have to do the same section of level multiple times to clear it. The voiceover was more irritating than funny (which is what I think it was going for) and the story did nothing for me. Maybe I just didn't get it because it was reviewed well and nominated for a couple of awards, but overall I found it disappointing.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

7. Celeste 64 (100%)

The Celeste devs made a 3d version of Celeste in a week to celebrate the game's 6th anniversary. It's pretty cool, and it's free!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

8. Corn Kidz 64

This is a 64-bit inspired 3D platformer sort of like Super Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie. It was a little rough, the platforming was kind of cool most of the time - you're a goat, so you have some moves based around headbutts like a midair dash instead of a double jump, and you can walljump sort of forward as well as across - but I'm not sure it made the best of them. There's a lot of sections that are more like 2d platformers where you're jumping from ledges, a bit more on rails than I'd like. It's also short, there's a tutorial world, one "main" world, and then the final gauntlet, so in some ways it felt more like a proof of concept than a full game. The writing is also not great, it's very "lol-random" style and I was not a fan at all. Overall, fine, and there were glimmers of something really good in there so if the studio make another game I'll probably check it out, but I'd say this one is skippable.

Edit: I'm realising between this and Celeste 64 my last two games were both N64 style 3d platformers...has the renaissance finally arrived??

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

That was more of a reaction to Corn Kidz than I expected...

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

9. Orwell

This is a kind of? puzzle game about surveillance, where you're an "inspector" in the Orwell project, a huge surveillance program that can find webpages, listen in on telephone calls and electronic communication, and let you remotely access PCs. I went into this expecting an experience along the lines of Obra Dinn where you're cross-referencing these different sources to solve crimes or whatever, but it's not really that. The gameplay consists of being provided with the sources and uploading snippets (called datachunks) from them into the program by dragging and dropping highlighted words. Occasionally there will be some that contradict each other and you have to decide which is correct, but mostly the decision making is only whether or not to upload a datachunk. It's more of an interactive story than a puzzle game, and for that it was fine although nothing special, and it wasn't really what I was looking for, but if you're interested in a commentary on invasive surveillance it might be your thing.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

10. 20 Small Mazes

I was in two minds whether to even post this because it's a free puzzle game that took less than an hour to beat, but I liked it enough that I want to share. Exactly what it says on the tin but there are enough gimmicks to keep it interesting and I found the whole experience very charming.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

11. Lies of P (NG+1)

I managed to pick the option to fight Nameless Puppet this time. The game is fun but I am not good when it gets to NG+ on souls games.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

12. Cyberhook (I think?)

A first person platformer where you have a grapple hook. The first few levels where you can really fly around and get up speed were a lot of fun, the last world had a lot of negotiating through tight corridors where touching the surface killed you which I didn't like as much. Also, there's not really an ending, I've beaten all the levels, but the game didn't seem to acknowledge it at all. I haven't got the highest rank on all the levels and I'm not going to, the timings seem very tight, so if that's how it classes as being finished then I guess I'm not finishing it. Probably worth checking out if you like Neon White but it's not as good.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Arrhythmia posted:

Bro have you actually played any of these games

I don't even know any more

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

13. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

I've never played it before and really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Bicyclops posted:

I didn't even watch the third hobbit movie. making three two hour movies out a 400 page children's book was a huge mistake.

I'm sure I heard at some point that it was originally 2 movies (which still seems excessive) and got changed to 3 late in development after Peter Jackson took over without any real plan of how to make that work.