Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

1. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous (lawful evil, lich path) - 1/21
2. Like a Dragon: Gaiden - 1/27
3. Etrian Odyssey HD - 2/1
4. Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard HD - 2/15
5. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - 3/23
6. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 4/3
7. Unicorn Overlord - 4/13
8. Final Fantasy 4 Pixel Remaster - 4/14
9. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - 4/27

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

symbolic posted:

he was right and this is you right now

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My first game beat of 2024 is Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Lawful evil dhampir inquisitor of Urgathoa, Lich mythic path. This game is insane and really feels like it will be an entirely different game depending on your character and choices, there’s constantly unique dialogue and choices popping for your character’s race, deity, class, etc, (something Kingmaker wasn’t great at even though it did a good job of reacting to your actual actions) and that’s before getting into the mythic paths.

The lich path changed nearly every aspect of the game, new companions, new quests, even new mechanics and almost every conversation in the game changed to reflect my being an evil undead necromancer, it felt like playing a game specifically about being a lich, which is insane considering it’s only one of 10 paths in the game. All of my mechanical annoyances with Kingmaker were fixed too, basically the only complaint I have is there’s a section of the game where you’re removed from the main map and that I didn’t like near as much as the rest of it but otherwise it’s a 10/10 CRPG.

I kind of feel like doing an evil run first was maybe a bad call since most of my companions died or left the party or had their quests terminate early in the bad end but I’m already planning like my next three playthroughs so I’ll get all their stories done eventually.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 22, 2024

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

mycophobia posted:

i hate the fuckin eagles man

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Like a Dragon: Gaiden.

Fully sick game, it's crazy that this whole game was basically made just to make Kiryu's appearance in 7 feel like less of an rear end-pull and yet they put in a full-fledged story in probably 10 hours or less if you rush it that can stand up to most others in the series. The combat feels maybe the best it's ever been, I wasn't super crazy about Agent style even though it did have some fun toys to mess around with but Yakuza style feels just as good as any in the series but also a little slicker with some more options available to you. Lots of great story moments capped with an extremely sick final boss and a deeply heavy emotional beat. I was worried about the series without Nagoshi but I think it's safe to say that the team still has it.

I was planning on platting this and would have if I got it wrapped up before Infinite Wealth, but now that Infinite Wealth is already out I think I'll shelve that for now and come back to it either after IW or if I start missing the brawler style during it.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 28, 2024

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Etrian Odyssey HD — swapped out my party a bit here and there but the core team that finished the game and did most of the work along the way was a defender and landsknecht in the front row and a survivalist, medic, and troubadour in the back.

Really fun game, these dungeon-crawlers are one of those genres that I’ve dabbled in and enjoyed but never really buckled down and played one to the end before and I’m glad I finally did. Team building is really satisfying, it was a good feeling to get stomped so hard by the first stratum boss that I nearly just ragequit the game for good thinking that I’d need to grind forever just to stand a chance, but then come back the next day, put together a plan, swap out a party member and respec the medic a bit and then effortlessly wipe the floor with the boss on the rematch. Drawing your map of the dungeon as you go was really satisfying and I loved the shop mechanic where you unlock new gear and items in the store by selling items you get from defeating enemies in the dungeon; the loop of exploring until your pack is full, heading back to town to unload everything at the shop, buying and equipping the new gear you just unlocked, and heading back for more was really addictive. Looking forward to checking out the rest of the series, and the genre in general.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

etrian is epic and it only gets better from 1. enjoy

I’m looking forward to it, I really liked 1 but it definitely felt like the first game in the series, I felt like it could have used at least a few more classes and skill trees and a bit more balancing since some classes feel essential. I’ve got the new 1-3 HD remasters that just came out and picked up 4, 5, and Nexus on the big Atlus sales they’d have on 3DS before the store closed, every year I find at least one older series to get completely obsessed with and it looks like I’ve already found 2024’s

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

That's too much dungeon crawling. By july you'll only be making turns at 90 degree angles

lol if I played 1 too long I’d start faintly seeing walls scrolling by in the corner of my vision after putting the game down, excited to see what kind of new neuroses I end up getting from this journey

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

EO ftw. If you like that style of game check out Persona Q. Not as good as EO but the first Q game was quite dank

Sweet, I still need to finish Persona 4 since it keeps getting derailed by other 100-hour RPGs but I did grab a copy of that after finishing 3, glad to hear it’s good

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Plus you can make Aigis an unkillable tank which is Lore accurate

Hell yes

Fungah! posted:

@chuck

which one. there is a correct answer.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Beat Etrian Odyssey 2 last night with Protector/Ronin/War Magus in front row and Gunner/Hexer in the back. Party building and classes are much better in this one, the new classes are cool and the old ones have been rebalanced so you can be a lot more flexible with your build than 1. I loved the artwork too, all the redrawn portraits for party members and monsters are great and the environments are great to look at, the first four strata are all forests but representing a different season each and i really loved the Sakura blossom spring and the autumn ones.

It was hard as hell though, maybe that’s mostly a function of medic not having the full-party buff from 1 that makes your whole team essentially invincible anymore, but there’s lots of enemies with instant-death moves on the last stratum, bosses that seem based around binding them so they can’t use insane party-wipe moves and you just have to pray they don’t use it if your bind spell doesn’t proc or it does but they break out of it the next turn, and sections where you just have to try and maneuver around a maze to avoid FOEs much stronger than you and a single wrong step can put you in an unwinnable battle (and a really wrong step can make it so you can’t flee from it). And i really don’t like that their solution to the question of “how do we keep them from getting over leveled if they can kill all these FOEs we’re throwing at them?” was to make it so FOEs don’t give XP anymore lol. Money and XP feel much tighter too and i always felt behind on gear until the very end of the game. None of these are complaints exactly, it was just a much more hardcore experience than i was expecting after 1 became a breeze once you get your party setup locked in and leveled up, and my blood pressure was probably through the roof the last couple days of playing lol.

I started 3, made a party (currently Hoplite/Buccaneer/Monk in front and Zodiac/Farmer in back), and did the first few missions but I might give dungeon crawling a bit of a break for a few days to prevent burnout. Looking forward to getting back to it though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I got the tude now posted:

*room goes quiet for about 60 seconds* well i probably gotta head out

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

bein able to move around to proc damage bonuses/weapon attacks helps a lot too imo

That and knocking enemies into each other, environmental hazards, your other party members for chain attacks, etc

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Been starting and restarting games of this over the last ten years and it took the release of the sequel to get me to finally finish it. Played as a Mystic Knight with a Sorceror main pawn. Really good game, glad I finally beat it. Excited to start the sequel which sounds even better and seems to have addressed my few little nitpicks about this one.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. First time revisiting it in about 20 years, I loved this game as a kid and it still largely holds up, although there were some frustrations here and there. I did a level or two as Aragorn but mostly played as Legolas and had a good time loosing 100 arrows at anything that moved. I'll have to revisit the other LOTR games from this era soon, I've been on a Tolkien kick for the last several months.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I haven’t seen any movies outside of Jackson’s LOTR trilogy but I do really want to see the animated ones sometime, I’ve heard really good things. I’ve been buying up all his books and started The Fall of Gondolin recently but at the rate I’ve been gaming instead of reading it’ll probably take me a decade to finish them all.

insane anime posted:

lol

theres a hobbit audiobook that is fun to listen to in the car or bed time by andy serkis. its the best acting in an audio book ive ever heard, theres so much attention to detail in the sound, and it has top notch records of every song.

Oh that’s awesome, I listened to his audiobook narration of the LOTR trilogy a few months ago and they were fantastic, I didn’t know he did The Hobbit too. I’ll have to start that soon. I had his version of Sam’s troll song from the beginning of Fellowship stuck in my head for weeks after lol.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Unicorn Overlord. All towns liberated and restored, all quests finished except for the treasure map ones that I couldn't be bothered to hunt down, including the post-game quest. Absolutely incredible game. It feels like my dream game in a lot of ways, very similar in tone, story, and characters to an older Fire Emblem game but the combat is really innovative and cool--instead of ordering each soldier around you group them up in units of up to five soldiers in one, set their skills and customize the conditions under which they'll use each skill, and then when they encounter an enemy unit the battles play out automatically based on how you have them set up, so there's a huge amount of different combinations and synergies you can set up based on which soldiers you have in each unit, which skills you have them learn, and what conditions they'll use them under. Watching them automatically wipe out a bunch of enemies with the setup you've already done in advance is way more satisfying than directly controlling them somehow. The map design is also really good which has been the Achilles heel of a lot of games in this genre. Then on top of that you've got fantastic art and animation like you'd expect from Vanillaware and a great score.

It might just be recency bias so I'll have to sleep on it a bit further but it might be my favorite tactical/strategic RPG, a genre I play a good deal of. Even the greats in the genre like Tactics Ogre didn't grab me as completely as this one did. It's also the first Vanillaware game I've finished so I'll have to check out more of their backlog, I think I've collected all of their games available in the west on modern consoles on sales over the last few years and 13 Sentinels has been one of those games that I've always wanted to start but there's always another game I want to get to just a little bit more, will definitely have to put it higher on the priority list.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The story does get a little crazier as you get towards the end but it saves most of it for late-game plot twists, don’t know how it compares to other Vanillaware games but it’s more than you’d expect from the early phases of the game at least. Characters I kind of agree on and kind of don’t, I can definitely say that I like plenty of characters but it’s like enough to get me through the game and think “hey I kind of like these guys 🙂” and not much more. Compared to Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones for example which I played about 20 years ago as a middle schooler and haven’t replayed since but I can still think back on several of my favorite characters from it and their best moments in supports and stuff. I don’t see myself doing that with these characters even if I do like them now.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

Also getting into the battle prep screen and you're losing 40-240 and then you make two Tactics tweaks and toggle an Assist and boom. It's a clean sweep. Total victory. Untouchable tacticsfeel.

:hai:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ArfJason posted:

Telling someone whos exhausted of ace attorney to play aai1 should be considered homicidal intent

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Final Fantasy 4 Pixel Remaster. Like 2 and 3 I have mixed feelings on it, but I lean more positively overall and would say I liked it better than either of those pretty easily. My biggest complaint is like the pseudo-job system, which you can't even call a system really since each character just has a job and never changes (aside from the main character doing it once during the story), which on its own wouldn't be too bad, but you don't even have control over who is in your party which changes based on story events. The comparison that comes to mind is Dragon Quest 4, where each character is locked into a certain build, but you choose 3 of them to be in your active party with your hero so you can still customize party build even if you can't each individual character--none of that here, you get what the story gives you until they take it away from you. This is especially annoying in the early game where you can end up with a bunch of squishy spellcasters getting beaten up with only one melee character to help them and things of that nature, though you do end up with a pretty good party setup by the time the game ends.

But the ATB combat system and the classes themselves were fun, and there were lots of cool ideas in the story and characters--Cecil redeeming himself and turning from a dark knight to a paladin, Kain and Golbez having their own redemption stories, all the cool moments where characters sacrifice themselves in big ways (even if nearly all of them show up again later more or less unharmed for no real reason. Very frustrating at times but overall pretty good, after everything I've heard about 5 and 6 I'm excited to finally be getting to them now.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. All world intel completed, all side quests done except for the one you unlock by finishing all the others which was just a bunch of minigame challenges when I had already played all the minigames as much as I wanted to, Queen's Blood champion. Incredible game, the combat is largely the same as Remake's, which was great, but with some relatively small iterative improvements (like the synergy abilities that let you launch a special move with two characters if you've used several ATB actions with each) that makes this game a clear improvement. They also made Aerith pretty fun to play and I probably spent most of my game time as her, which surprised me since she was easily the most boring character to play in Remake.

Like Remake, it hugely expands the original 1997 game but still feels true to it, which is a remarkable feat considering that I spent about 3 times as long in this middle part of a trilogy than I did in the entire original game. The characters are all super endearing and I love them all more now than I did in the original, and the original is one of my favorite parties in gaming. It takes smaller moments from the first game and makes them into big memorable setpieces and full storylines, and introduces entirely new things like the Queen's Blood game and story that's all great.

Like Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, this game makes its predecessor that I loved kind of look like a piece of poo poo in retrospect lol. I wish I had replayed '97 and Remake before playing this because it's only been two years and apparently that's enough time to forget a lot of stuff from both, but I guess it's for the best to save it for an epic 200 hour marathon before part three comes out. Really excited to see how they close out the trilogy and bring it all home.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

/L/ratio/cope/seethe/malding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

absolutely disgusting british lad sobbing: wish me nan hadnt rowed wif me now. full stop