Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

1. TUNIC
2. Vampire Survivors (all achieves, again)
3. Cave Story+
4. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
5. Secrets of Grindea
6. The Roottrees Are Dead

Plebian Parasite fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

TUNIC

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Got all the Vampire Survivors Achieves, gonna count it for now.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

got the regular ending in Void Stranger, but from my understanding there's still a lot more game left.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

4. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Wormskull posted:

This guys mouth is a mothafuckin CLOACA! Your argument is invalid.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

KoRn Kidz 64. Da boom na da mmmm dum na ema

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

6. The Roottrees Are Dead

not terribly remarkable but pretty fun as just one tangled up logic puzzle. not a bad way to spend an afternoon

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

oddium posted:

i think it would be better if they either didn't give you the full list of every name on the tree or the whole layout of the tree. it's too easy to see this lady has this guy's last name and three kids and plug it into the one spot it can go, without any newspaper clippings or anything. but maybe it's too hard or annyoing without both of those. dunno not my problem

I think the "twist" is so heavily telegraphed they might as well not even treat it like a twist, like literally the second you start working on the bigger tree you start anticipating the misdirections that the game could potentially throw at you and they chose the most obvious one.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

ArfJason posted:

oh yeah i forgot to mention i beat metroid prime 3 before i started playing the bomberman games

i wasnt expecting a lot, so it managed to beat those expectations by being solid enough, but still not particularly great or interesting.
hypermode felt like a cheat, and youre never truly starving for health. i didnt die once in the game, but maybe thats due to rebalancing in the trilogy.
the ability to fly between different points should make the maps the most interconnected theyve been yet, cause each landing zone would, in theory, be like a room with 10 doors leading to any other landing zone, with a loading screen in between. sadly in practice this means that between each landing zone theres a series of rooms back to back in a hallway, with few hubs that branch off in different ways, and then one of the branches goes on into a dead end with a landing zone. this helped ease some of the backtracking, which by the end of prime 2 felt like a bit of a drag.

one of the things i knew going in was that this game features Text Boxes, so theres more character and dialogue than ever, which feels antithetical to metroids lone exploratory feel. i guess that bridge has already been crossed with the constant interruptions from scan visor, which in this game are taken up to eleven, with multiple identical terminals that function as on/off switches having a separate scan for each state. this gets old fast, but is optional so whatever.

for how much more of a focus there is on characters, they all fall very flat because theres no time to know them. maybe for you thats a blessing, but given theyre a sort of focus i think they needed to work them better. they dont even say something when they die, no mid battle barks, nothing to give them the slightest bit of extra characterization they sorely need. they become juiced up on the phazon and thats it. dark samus has a cool design and some neat animations, and i think they could have made her scarier, like the sa-x, but she does not feel threatening at all, especially given the game is super easy. at least she has a very cool theme song. thankfully, despite being easy, all boss fights have multiple stages that add some flavor, but it feels predictable knowing that at half health they do a new thing, and at about a quarter they enter hypermode. whatever, they commit to having more attack patterns, im down for it.

for some reason they make beams a linear upgrade path which was really disconcerting after 1 and 2, and as such the fighting becomes a bit more simplistic, but thanks to wii remote aiming, theres is more actual fps mechanical skill involved, which is welcome given im playing it with primehack. this results in fairer hitboxes on enemies, and more creative shooting challenges. i guess thats the reason they didnt focus on alternate beams.

the only really visually cool area is the skytown, and this comes at the cost of it being the most linear metroid area ive seen yet without playing other M. the fuel gel planet had some cool and clever puzzles, and the pirate homeworl was kinda neat but it does not have the creativity of the fortress from 2. music in general is not very catchy either.

finally, i felt there were a lot of bullshit one or two use case items in prime 1 and 2, but this game takes the cake, with the phazon overcharge whip which is used a grand total of 3 times. the hypermode morph ball area of effect attack that is used like 5 times, etc. at least the xray visor has some neat uses when you get the nova beam which phases thru walls, but overall, this feels more artificial barrier like than most metroid before it. and they bring back the worthless fuckin multirocket thing, and take away the sick as gently caress charge beam combos.

a bit bland, but i wouldnt say its bad. also they really tried hard to show the wii is NEXT GEN by having so much goddamn fuckin blur and bloom and browns.

Its really telling that one of the things I liked most about MP3 was just doing all the motion control levers and button pressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Jumping Flash!