Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Super Mario Galaxy (Switch) - 26/01
2. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster (PS4) - 28/01
3. Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4) - 25/02
4. Dead Space Remake (PS5) - 03/03

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In honour of Herc doing it so nobly for me last year this space is reserved for anyone who's late to getting their spot reserved. lmk

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Leadthumb posted:

oh forget it

drat brother

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Super Mario Galaxy: Of the three 3D Mario games in the All-Stars bundle it's easily the best. Basically had none of the problems the previous games had. Each course had pretty clear stars to get and then the hidden stars, special comet stars, and purple coin stars were all pretty good. I liked that they replaced finding 100 arbitrary coins with the 100 purple coin challenges. Super chill and fun game even if it never got that challenging.

2. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster: Got the platinum, maxed the sphere grid for every character, and beat Penance. The main story is still my favourite final fantasy without any contest. I love everything about it lol. I love the characters, the story, I love the Aeons, I love the attribute customisation for gear, and I think the sphere grid is great. The post game isn't very good though. It's absurd how much grinding exists between the end of game and fighting the Monster Arena bosses let alone the Dark Aeons. It's also a shame that every character just ends up as a clone of each other due to maxing the same grid by the end. I still love it and it's much ultimate cozy comfort game. Still my all time FF and hell an all time game for me. Will take a while before I play X-2 for sure though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

gently caress!!!!!!!!!!! The devs might lose tons of support from this. We need to do something.

Possibly killing Bob might help here? Just spitballing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

Bob just traded in 9 PS4 games for 1 PS3 game. He's actually doing his part rn tbh.

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

UPDATE: The Imp Zone have lost their minds and are trying to kill me.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
3. Batman: Arkham Knight: Beat Arkham Knight and got the platinum like I did for the previous two Arkham games. Honourably I did all the default AR challenges and got all medals instead of just farming easy medals in all the extended DLC challenge maps to make it easier. It refines some things compared to city most notably in the stealth. Having the multi-takedowns for groups of enemies in stealth was great as well as how they limited by needing silent takedowns to regain the charge. What sucked was now every stealth encounter had twice as many enemies. I liked that stealth sections were much more open and sprawling with multiple levels and didn't just rely on a bunch of gargoyles. What sucked the game sometimes struggling to signal you were or weren't visible to enemies and randomly being seen from across the map by a guy two floors below. I think that's probably my overall impression of the game. Lots of new additions that owned almost always countered by a new addition that sucked.

I actually really liked that Batmobile and was surprised how fun it was to drive around in. Some AIDS sections to it like the tank boss battles or the final riddler race but that's true of basically any part of the game. Also a weirdly buggy game, it would crash almost once a session some days. Overall it had some of the best elements in the series but Arkham City is still the high watermark imo. Just the smoothest experience of all three games with most of the best stuff and the least amount of weak parts.

I also think the story and writing is kind of bad in all three games. I don't mean because it's comic book stuff or anything like that, I've read lots of cool Batman stories. This one felt notably burnt out though. I read they didn't get the guy from the animated series who wrote on the other games back so that's probably why. Just can't accept scarecrow as the final big bad of the trilogy, he's a total second stringer imo. The ending where you play as joker is really great though. Also incredibly funny that Arkham Knight reveals his identity and immediately leaves the story forever with almost 0 follow up.

The games are super self-serious most of the time so I really enjoy all the mook dialogue which is really funny and knowingly dumb. My favourite in this game was a regular thug complaining about the militia occupying Gotham. "it's just not right a foreign power oppressing Gotham. Batman ought to do something about it before we kill him"

A good game still but definitely makes sense to have ended the series here.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ArfJason posted:

anyway, i got to experience doom 3's beloved and memorable setpiece firsthand, so at least it was worth it for that:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
3. Batman: Arkham Knight
4. Dead Space Remake: The original Dead Space is one of the first games I ever played enough to get the platinum trophy on so was pretty excited to play it again. Visually it's super impressive and mechanically they fixed or made a lot of stuff work better. I also liked the small additions to the story they added as well as making Isaac voiced. They also made Kendra much less of a psycho shrewish bitch every time she burnt the ear off you on the radio. They turned the zero gravity from just being able to jump from wall to wall in rooms to full on flying around in zero gravity. Which is a big change and must have taken a lot of redesign to do. I just think it kind of sucks unfortunately. it becomes really hard to orient yourself when fighting enemies that are flying all over the place and you're in a giant rear end room. Probably if they didn't insist in those annoying as projectile shooters in every 0G area and just had the melee enemies it would have worked much better. I liked the side missions they gave you to expand on the story and it's good you could add them to your tracker. There are a bunch of locked keycard doors though and you have to return to them much later if you want to get the items. This kind of sucks because the ship is pretty unintuitive to navigate and every are looks very same due to the setting. I really wish you'd been able to set custom waypoints and then use your tracker ability to go to them. A fun return but didn't feel the need to get the plat this time. Mainly because they added in a permadeath mode and that's not an interesting challenge to me in this game.