Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

I feel like gaming has kind of died for me. New games take like twenty years to develop and none of the console manufactures really compete with each other anymore. Sony and Nintendo both have their audiances on lock and are more interested in turning their IPs into Disney-esque franchises outside of gaming, and Microsoft seems to be moving into a Publisher role with a focus on becoming the netflix of gaming. SAD state of affairs but good thing I have accumulated a huge backlog of legendary games across consoles and generations to sustain me through this dark time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Me playing Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth that came out a week ago: skill issue

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

We just had a 2023 that, in terms of quality of games released, was one of the best the industry ever had

Of course now that industry has been and is currently imploding on itself and is built on some pretty terrible exploitation so things aren't going to get much better in the short term. But people only remember the memorable games from 20 - 30 years ago, not all the failed first person shooters and brown and bloom and all the weird jank that popped out when Mario 64 released and everybody tried to hop onto the 3D train. And the industry was still exploitive back then, as anybody who remembers EA devouring every good studio that they could get their maws around could attest.

Basically, same as it ever was.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 1, 2024

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Feldegast42 posted:

We just had a 2023 that, in terms of quality of games released, was one of the best the industry ever had

Of course now that industry has been and is currently imploding on itself and is built on some pretty terrible exploitation so things aren't going to get much better in the short term

I think I've said this before but it really feels like FROM Software, Remedy and CAPCOM are carrying the entire industry now

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

90sgamer posted:

I feel like gaming has kind of died for me. New games take like twenty years to develop and none of the console manufactures really compete with each other anymore. Sony and Nintendo both have their audiances on lock and are more interested in turning their IPs into Disney-esque franchises outside of gaming, and Microsoft seems to be moving into a Publisher role with a focus on becoming the netflix of gaming. SAD state of affairs but good thing I have accumulated a huge backlog of legendary games across consoles and generations to sustain me through this dark time.
the consoles are bad now, most AAA is garbage. discard these things and become a pc gamer that plays ambitious games with no budget

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fajita Queen posted:

lmao

but also what the actual gently caress was that trailer

I completely passed on the first game, what on earth did I miss?

You missed out massively. Death Stranding is one of the best games from last gen.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Even with the industry exploding the indie sphere still exists and will continue to thrive and innovate so I'm not too worried about the future of gaming

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Who is the puppet lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

90sgamer posted:

I think I've said this before but it really feels like FROM Software, Remedy and CAPCOM are carrying the entire industry now

And Larian, Insomniac, RGG and Square. And a bunch of others. There's something for everyone.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Games are really good these days. Best they've ever been imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Name ONE hundred good games that came out in 2024. Can’t be done.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Never been a better time to be playing games

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

homeless snail posted:

the consoles are bad now, most AAA is garbage. discard these things and become a pc gamer that plays ambitious games with no budget

oh believe me im starting to. Currently doing a full playthrough of the Diablo series (first one still rules) and then im checking out the system shock remake and Baldurs gate 3. Not familiar with either franchise but heard good things.

On console im just slowly catching up on old stuff I missed like the FF pixel remasters and older souls games.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Fajita Queen posted:

lmao

but also what the actual gently caress was that trailer

An all time great game that you would either love or hate. No in between.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Anyone interested in participating in a skate 3 playtest? I can invite three people, first three (if anyone's interested, of course) to send their emails to play.something.awful@gmail.com I'll invite. Deadline is basically tonight since that's when I'll finish my signup

It's in a pretty rough state but is still fun to play for a bit.

Also they threatened me that if the people I invite violate the NDA it'll affect my playtesting account so pls be good :P

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
mid budget is the way. cheap enough that they don't have to target the lowest common denominator to turn a profit, but with enough juice that the game isn't over just when you're starting to get into it

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Fajita Queen posted:

Hideo Kojima saw the phrase 'walking simulator'. You'll never believe what happened next!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Play posted:

Anyone interested in participating in a skate 3 playtest? I can invite three people, first three (if anyone's interested, of course) to send their emails to play.something.awful@gmail.com I'll invite. Deadline is basically tonight since that's when I'll finish my signup

It's in a pretty rough state but is still fun to play for a bit.

Also they threatened me that if the people I invite violate the NDA it'll affect my playtesting account so pls be good :P
what is this, like a private server for skate 3?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Death Stranding is kinda a.... like.... hiking/FedEx delivery simulator where you cooperate with everyone on the server to build stuff that makes traversal through the craggy-rear end landscape easier

It makes what's usually the most boring part of open world games, the traversal, the real gameplay. The map is designed with this in mind so it works pretty well if that sounds interesting

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

mid budget is the way. cheap enough that they don't have to target the lowest common denominator to turn a profit, but with enough juice that the game isn't over just when you're starting to get into it

100% agreed. you want just enough budget to be able to hire some for real artists and get a good style going, but not so high that developers start feeling beholden to investors and can instead just go hog wild with trying to realize an ambition

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All games should end just when you’re starting to get into it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember the last like big AAA fuckoff game I played- they usually don't really appeal to me anymore since I'm not interested in a SaaS grind or an open world game crammed with copy-pasted tasks designed to waste as much of my time as possible

Is Yakuza 0 a AAA game? Is Pikmin 4?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1752832897655119990

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

im at steam n the games are 2 big 2 fit in da SSD in computer. aaa (dats me yellin)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

I can't remember the last like big AAA fuckoff game I played- they usually don't really appeal to me anymore since I'm not interested in a SaaS grind or an open world game crammed with copy-pasted tasks designed to waste as much of my time as possible

Is Yakuza 0 a AAA game? Is Pikmin 4?

I'd say Yakuza probably wasn't AAA until Like a Dragon or Infinite Wealth. They're awesome games, but most of them don't really feel like huge budget blockbusters.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's not AAA unless the entire dev company gets screwed over after it's made

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
by any reasonable definition, most nintendo games are AAA. It's definitely fuzzy though

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I'd say Yakuza probably wasn't AAA until Like a Dragon or Infinite Wealth. They're awesome games, but most of them don't really feel like huge budget blockbusters.
Yakuza 0's budget was around $30 million US for a 2015 release. Assassin's Creed 2's budget was around $22 million US for a 2009 release (adjusted for inflation to 2015, around $26.5 million US instead).

Play
Apr 25, 2006

homeless snail posted:

what is this, like a private server for skate 3?

uhh whoops i guess i meant skate 4. or maybe they're just calling it skate. with the period

its the one that hasn't come out yet

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

You already got death standing 2 and whatever OD is on your plate man

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just play games I like and think about those all day

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I just play games I like and think about those all day

wrong, you play movies just ask my friend kojima

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Death can be cheesed if you keep the holy water at the start of the stage all the way to the end, it stunlocks him. It's the only way I've beaten him.

I recommend this hack to make Simon's Quest (a game I do like a lot to be clear) a more reasonable experience:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/868/

Mostly for clearer/better TL and less annoying day-night transitions.

Nah yeah, I'm probably going to do this.

Simon's Quest is a chore.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hogama posted:

Yakuza 0's budget was around $30 million US for a 2015 release. Assassin's Creed 2's budget was around $22 million US for a 2009 release (adjusted for inflation to 2015, around $26.5 million US instead).

0 is one of my favorite games ever, and I guess the investment obviously paid off since it was the game that they reintroduced the series to the West with, but I definitely wouldn't have guessed it cost $30 million from looking at it. Tbf I kind of forgot it came out later in NA than JP, especially for Steam where I played it, so I should have been comparing it to something like Assassin's Creed Syndicate instead of Origins.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
watching rise of ronin and thank god they finally made a black ship era assassin's creed

90sgamer posted:

oh believe me im starting to. Currently doing a full playthrough of the Diablo series (first one still rules) and then im checking out the system shock remake and Baldurs gate 3. Not familiar with either franchise but heard good things.

On console im just slowly catching up on old stuff I missed like the FF pixel remasters and older souls games.

if these are your standard of no budget, lol no wonder you think everything is hosed, we have such wonders to show you

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1752860683337683028?s=20

This to me just feels like they're getting rid of redundant listings.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

90sgamer posted:

Embrace indie games

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Miss Mowcher posted:

Embrace indie games

they already said games that take like twenty years to develop though

bapanada

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit