Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
*Buys a thousand dollars GPU*
*Plays Noita, Void Stranger, Dave the Diver, Moonrig*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Infinitum posted:

Nah yeah, I'm probably going to do this.

Simon's Quest is a chore.
Would you be interested in a fan remake of the game?
https://hothardware.com/news/castlevania-ii-simons-quest-finally-gets-remake-looks-brilliant

https://archive.org/details/castlevania-chronicles-ii-simons-quest

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Only if it's a rom :colbert:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Infinitum posted:

Nah yeah, I'm probably going to do this.

Maybe you can just play the upcoming barely-legally-distinct homage The Transylvania Adventure of Simon Quest?

Or if you're open to it, Infernax is also a bit of a spiritual successor.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

90sgamer posted:

I feel like gaming has kind of died for me. New games take like twenty years to develop and none of the console manufactures really compete with each other anymore. Sony and Nintendo both have their audiances on lock and are more interested in turning their IPs into Disney-esque franchises outside of gaming, and Microsoft seems to be moving into a Publisher role with a focus on becoming the netflix of gaming. SAD state of affairs but good thing I have accumulated a huge backlog of legendary games across consoles and generations to sustain me through this dark time.
Nintendo is making better games than they have at any point since the SNES years. I'm about as pessimistic about modern gaming as anyone but it's still way better than it was in the PS360 years and last year was really, really strong.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FutureCop posted:

Maybe you can just play the upcoming barely-legally-distinct homage The Transylvania Adventure of Simon Quest?

Nah gotta be roms I can load up on a retro handheld

Thank you tho!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FutureCop posted:

Bloodstained

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I wonder if the combination of hundreds of thousands of mainstream devs getting laid off and the fact that all the best and biggest hits the last few years have been basement games made by between one to maybe ten guys is gonna lead to a new meta in the game market of a huge wave of indie games the likes of which we've never seen before. Every single laid off guy using their game dev skills to try to make the next palworld or cruelty squad or hollow knight.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Indie games don't take 20 years to create

silksong doesn't count as its gonna take a century

Also, I hope that the laid off devs join together to make some decent AA studios that can make quality games that don't have 9 figure budgets that need 10 figure returns to not get them all canned

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 1, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I wonder if the combination of hundreds of thousands of mainstream devs getting laid off and the fact that all the best and biggest hits the last few years have been basement games made by between one to maybe ten guys is gonna lead to a new meta in the game market of a huge wave of indie games the likes of which we've never seen before. Every single laid off guy using their game dev skills to try to make the next palworld or cruelty squad or hollow knight.

I dunno man, have you considered people should just be super hype to drop $165 AUD on deluxe versions of video games that take less than 20 hours to complete so c-suite people can make some money?

A

N

Y

W

A

Y

What indies are people looking forward to this year?

I think Penny's Big Breakaway looks super fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBigeYDiqm0

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Rift Wizard 2 early access, Brew Barons and Caves of Qud 1.0 are my early year indie interests

Anno fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 1, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Infinitum posted:

What indies are people looking forward to this year?

I've been having fun with the early access release of Roots of Yggdrasil, which is somewhere in the middle of the puzzle to roguelike spectrum of city builders. Full version supposed to be refined before the end of the year.

Balatro devours people's lives as a demo, the full release in February shall bring forth the Apokerlypse.

After that begins the endless wars of what on my list counts as an indie game/do I have a reasonable expectation that the game in question will actually be good.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 1, 2024

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Jossar posted:

Balatro devours people's lives as a demo, the full release in February shall bring forth the Apokerlypse.

I've played more hours of the demo than most full fledged games in my library, I'm a little scared tbh

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Apart from Silksong, which we know won't release this year because god is cruel, I look forward to

- the next Golden Idol game
- Pony Island 2
- Abiotic Factor
- Supraworld
- Shapez 2
- Factorio expansion
- and maybe some of the hundreds of unfinished games I own will finally get completed and come out of Early Access

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

February chat thread release date?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

When it's done

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Could be now, it's already February in Palau.

Things work differently in Palauworld, after all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh hell yeah Supraworld. That's gonna own, been cutting their gums learning what works and doesn't to make it for a while and I enjoyed all of them along the way.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Oh right, actual content. Uh, I guess I'm also looking forward to the Spiritfarer devs releasing this and watching the trainwreck. Does that count?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Jossar posted:

Oh right, actual content. Uh, I guess I'm also looking forward to the Spiritfarer devs releasing this and watching the trainwreck. Does that count?

What an insane shift of tone from spiritfarer :catstare:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Veotax posted:

Their only other game is a mobile game with very horny character designs, I think, so it tracks.

they've actually made two mobile games with very horny character designs. the previous one ran from 2016-2023
it was titled "destiny child" and in a fantastically terrible translation the noun the game used for the individual big titty jpeg characters was "childs"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/rMPKBDE.mp4

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Watching Limmy play through dark souls 2 so I don't have too

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
What platform is Limmy playing on and is he playing online? Because I want to invade him with a hilarious character of mine.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think we all do that's why he's on pc playing in offline mode lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've come around the the idea that a game where you get to run around shooting pokemon with machine guns and rocket launchers is good actually

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
No I have not played it and probably never will

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Games I will be buying this month

Tomb raider HD remakes
Shiren the wanderer

Thank you

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The next Golden Idol game should've been called The Curse of the Golden Idol to really confuse people who get the name of the first game wrong.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Anyway I'm working from my living room because I'm waiting for a package of big cookies and my ps5 is right there, my boy Ichiban just champing to renovate his island of perverts.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Infinitum posted:

PSA for the games thread: you do not have to keep playing games that you don't like!!

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Muscle Tracer posted:

PSA for the games thread: you do not have to keep playing games that you don't like!!

Legit poo poo I've been struggling with this in the last couple of days. If I quit playing something that everyone liked, I'll feel bad. Even if I'm not having fun, and *especially* if I paid for it. Like maybe I don't "get" it or I suck at games. Neither feels good. But I feel like I have to not had any fun for at least 4 hours before I've "earned" not playing it anymore.

Any y'all like this? Is this common?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Catching up on the news of Korean Neir, Square's Legally Distinct Splatworld, and The Bioshock Guy Is Just Going To Keep Making Bioshock You Cannot Stop Him.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's new thread day!! See below

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053278

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Infinitum posted:

Video games are expensive

Embrace retro games and :filez: your way to victory

I loaded up 150 games on my steam deck for emulation and have been having a blast with tony hawk underground and shadow hearts and my son has been playing like 5 different mario games.