Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Big earthquake and tsunami in the Sea of Japan. Can't we go a day without some terrible poo poo happening? This year is gonna suck.

I'd tell y'all "Happy New Year" but we all know that'd be an utter lie. So, uh, have a New Year, GIP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
For some context about the video of the newscaster yelling out warnings, research about the big earthquake and tsunami in 2011 that killed nearly 20,000 people - mostly through the tsunami - found that the government originally significantly underestimated the strength of the tsunami, which caused lots of people who might have otherwise evacuated to stay in their homes. Ever since then, newscasters have been trained to overemphasize when telling people to evacuate and how dangerous tsunamis are.

E: quoting the video in question since it's a new thread

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
One stream stops at the earthquake

https://www.youtube.com/live/oVcns32ANr8?si=qLhpX7wZnTOztxDm

https://www.youtube.com/live/oVcns32ANr8?si=gTPpv7rfWRYzzTZW

Fires starting

https://www.youtube.com/live/f0lYkdA-Gtw?si=lFSkw_N9IuW_EK0i

It's gonna be bad I hope not but feels that way

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 1, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

happy new years, i guess. get well soon japan :smith:

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Edit: whoops wrong thread

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

From last year's thread.

Holy poo poo that's terrifying.

Stay safe, Japan, gently caress.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
gently caress, I'm glad I only have to deal with hurricanes. And tornadoes. And fires

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

There's a ton of misinformation circulating in Twitter from random accounts posting videos from the March 2011 quake and tsunami. Keep an eye out if you're still trying to use Twitter for disaster tracking.

Eta: and the stupid loving API changes mean legit accounts are getting rate limited https://bsky.app/profile/xunlingau.bsky.social/post/3khvwr565gm2b

Wombot fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 1, 2024

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Elviscat posted:

From last year's thread.

Holy poo poo that's terrifying.

Stay safe, Japan, gently caress.

If Portland OR took that shaking I guarantee more poo poo would have fallen/broke. Please continue being good at responding to earthquakes and tsunamis my Japanese friends.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

If northern europe had those kind of quakes, the only history we would have left would be rock paintings

Keep strong Japan goons

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wombot posted:

Eta: and the stupid loving API changes mean legit accounts are getting rate limited https://bsky.app/profile/xunlingau.bsky.social/post/3khvwr565gm2b

Goddrat Elon Musk can go gently caress himself with a rusty pipe.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

If Portland OR took that shaking I guarantee more poo poo would have fallen/broke. Please continue being good at responding to earthquakes and tsunamis my Japanese friends.

I'm envious of that country's ability to set and execute standards, across the board.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If northern europe had those kind of quakes, the only history we would have left would be rock paintings

Keep strong Japan goons

Any seismic event over 5 richter meant the town was razed to the ground here in Italy. Still holds true, even in areas after reconstruction from quakes with anti seismic precautions. This quake is/was 7 richter.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 1, 2024

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I live in Okinawa and I'm watching NHK now, and they've clarified that they are (as this is of course Japan) using the Japan Meteorological Agency Seismic Intensity Scale and this was a high six, where the maximum is a seven. So if you see something where the number 6 is thrown around, it isn't in reference to the Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale used by the US Geological Survey, which maxes out at 10 (or 12 depending on who's using it).

Not looking forward to the damage assessment to come out of this.

Edit: NHK also saying that tsunami height may be underreported because some of the wave height readings from sensors are at the maximum measurable rating and can't be measured any higher than what's been reported. This is from their livestream at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0lYkdA-Gtw

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 1, 2024

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The news I'm seeing rates it at a 7, the highest level on the scale (link in Japanese). I've had the opportunity to do an earthquake simulator at shindo 7 before, and it's firmly within "you can't stay standing, maybe even if you're holding onto something" territory. It's scary poo poo.

My earthquake warning app shows that it was felt at some shindo level across basically the entire country .

Shindo 1 is barely noticeable even if you're paying attention. Shindo 2 is probably noticeable if you're inside and not preoccupied. Shindo 3 is pretty noticeable in most situations, and things start getting scary at 4 and above.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Spoggerific posted:

The news I'm seeing [...]

If I'm reading that map correctly, thats like a quake happening in Montreal and still feeling it in Washington D.C.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If I'm reading that map correctly, thats like a quake happening in Montreal and still feeling it in Washington D.C.

That's basically right, but the areas marked as 1 felt the quake only very weakly.

Several of the aftershocks registered as shindo 1 where I live, and even though I was watching a seismic wave map as they passed through my location, I had to concentrate and watch some clothes hanging up to dry inside in order to really tell.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

BBC is collecting eyewitness videos and such here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-67856144

The one of the cars in the parking garage is pretty nuts

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

BBC is collecting eyewitness videos and such here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-67856144

The one of the cars in the parking garage is pretty nuts

I just saw that one, like 30 seconds ago. Came to post about it. drat, earthquakes suck

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Guaranteed. A lot of Japan's infrastructure was specifically constructed with high intensity earthquakes in mind. A lot of the designs in the US are retrofits. Its one of the many reasons why they tore down the Alaskan Way Viaduct in Seattle, as the cost of rehabilitating and seismically retrofitting the structure would have cost $Texas.

California (for obvious reasons) has the most stringent dynamic earthquake load safety factors and design requirements in the country.

e: Expanded slightly: Nationally, most building construction standards at the state and local levels defer to the https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IBC2021P1 (IBC Construction Standards). In many localities and states there are more stringent requirements appended to the IBC by legislation. This is an order of magnitude different in California, which references the IBC in many areas but in some (specifically seismic design) are incredibly more stringent. You basically need an MS in Structural Engineering that focuses on Seismic Design to get a job as an entry level in CA.

For Transportation projects (IE: Bridges, specifically those with federal funding, which are most anything over 2-5 million), ultimate oversight is provided by FHWA which regulates the design standards to be used. This ultimately leads to more standardization nationally.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 1, 2024

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

There was an earthquake a few years ago in the DC area that people in NY found about on the internet before the shaking started.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There was an earthquake a few years ago in the DC area that people in NY found about on the internet before the shaking started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Virginia_earthquake

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
That's how earthquake early warning systems work. The shaking from an earthquake travels at something like 6km/s, which means there's enough time to push an automated warning to people who are close enough to experience dangerous shaking but far enough away that the earthquake doesn't strike immediately.

The warning app I use living in Japan looks like this when a large enough earthquake happens:

After an alarm, it automatically pulls up a screen with information about the earthquake. It draws some circles expanding away from the epicenter, representing where the earthquake waves (and shaking) have reached. It also displays approximately how long until the earthquake reaches you, and approximately how strong the earthquake is estimated to be at your location.

You can generally expect something like 5 to 30 seconds of warning before an earthquake reaches you. It's enough time to turn off your stove and get away from furniture that might fall on your head, but not enough time to get outside or reach some kind of shelter.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That's the one. It wasn't an alert system, just regular shitposting that was moving faster than the earthquake.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's the one. It wasn't an alert system, just regular shitposting that was moving faster than the earthquake.

This is the one I remember.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Much worse. Eastern North America is pretty solidly monolithic without many faults or cracks in the plate so it doesn't take that much energy shaking one place to shake everything. I felt the DC quake in south carolina.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Vorkosigan posted:

This is the one I remember.

A former coworker of mine had worked a night shift the evening before and was at home sleeping when that quake hit. He got up and went outside to have a look around and one of his neighbors was out on their front lawn, shrieking hysterically about how things would never be the same again.

The mid-Atlantic doesn't really handle earthquakes well.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm kinda confused that anything other than the moment magnitude scale is still being referenced by news outlets in 2023, but to actually read "Richter scale" is a certified mindfuck.

/Edit: lol nevermind, it's 2024

Happy new year, y'all :smith:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Whoa Israel’s Supreme Court in an 8-7 decision rejected the change that would have limited their ability to check Netanyahu.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/01/01/world/israel-supreme-court-gaza-news?unlocked_article_code=1.KU0.GH7e.ySVOmqQGLb5N&smid=url-share

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm kinda confused that anything other than the moment magnitude scale is still being referenced by news outlets in 2023, but to actually read "Richter scale" is a certified mindfuck.

/Edit: lol nevermind, it's 2024

Happy new year, y'all :smith:

Often people say Richter scale when they mean moment magnitude.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thank u mr musk for stopping the spammers 🙏

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The mid-Atlantic doesn't really handle ANYTHING well.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Platystemon posted:

thank u mr musk for stopping the spammers 🙏

Is that some absolutely incredible viral marketing?

A scam?

Or has Japan's obsession with Eva actually birthed a functioning NERV that provides timely earthquake and disaster relief info?

Edit: seems to be... real? No loving way. Amazing.

Edit edit: How is this real life.

https://sabukaru.online/articles/from-evangelion-to-reality-the-nerv-app-saving-lives

I live in Japan and I guess now I'm about to download an app branded with the secret government conspiracy organization from Neon Genesis Evangelion which is now an actual organization.

This is my crack ping moment. I am doing the :psyduck: head clutch in front of my computer. How.

It's made by a company called Gehirn Inc. I can practically hear the crack ping in my brain.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 1, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They made anime real.

This is not a drill.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Mid-Atlantic doesn't have much in ways of frequent disasters, yes.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Spoggerific posted:

The warning app I use living in Japan looks like this when a large enough earthquake happens:

This is the NERV app, right?

I'm seeing on NHK and the BBC liveblog that the tsunami alerts have been downgraded. Does that mean no tsunamis struck and if any do they will be 1m or less, or that any subsequent tsunamis will be less than 1m at this point?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

OddObserver posted:

The Mid-Atlantic doesn't have much in ways of frequent disasters, yes.

Never had a disaster? What about those clowns in Congress? What a bunch of clowns.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Arc Light posted:

Is that some absolutely incredible viral marketing?

A scam?

Or has Japan's obsession with Eva actually birthed a functioning NERV that provides timely earthquake and disaster relief info?

Edit: seems to be... real? No loving way. Amazing.

Edit edit: How is this real life.

https://sabukaru.online/articles/from-evangelion-to-reality-the-nerv-app-saving-lives

I live in Japan and I guess now I'm about to download an app branded with the secret government conspiracy organization from Neon Genesis Evangelion which is now an actual organization.

This is my crack ping moment. I am doing the :psyduck: head clutch in front of my computer. How.

It's made by a company called Gehirn Inc. I can practically hear the crack ping in my brain.

it's a weather/natural disaster alert app, it's not anime in real life. breathe into a paper bag, it will be ok

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People really, really, really need to stop using Elon Musk’s X.com. Even the legitimate public services are getting mired in the unchecked misinformation and other nonsense.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
uh if I wasn't using ex dot com then I wouldn't have learned about this great, life changing product https://twitter.com/BateWorld/status/1716938029783552507

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

maffew buildings posted:

uh if I wasn't using ex dot com then I wouldn't have learned about this great, life changing product https://twitter.com/BateWorld/status/1716938029783552507

Way less offensive than Musk's preferred content.