Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That an excellent color ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Well that explains the mild winters

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:tif:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Climate change is going to come down on our heads like a ten ton anvil, isn't it? I just hope Antarctica stays un-melted for long enough for me to move the hell away from the coast.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Our December was the 15th consecutive December with "unusually high average temperature" as per our federal department of metereology or whatever, and is among the top-eight warmest recorded Decembers since the beginning of records since 1881.
The mean temperature was 3.9°C/7°F above normal

Southern Germany just gettin' a lil crispy, nbd
:tif:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Here we had the 2nd warmest year on record, the fewest days below freezing and the most days above 80F (26.7C).

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
guys we need to burn MORE fossil fuels to combat global cooling

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Finally for some good news https://www.freethink.com/health/cancer-vaccine

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I thought it was a El Nina year.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CBJSprague24 posted:

E- As someone with a pilot license myself, who the gently caress uses the remarks box to record anything other than approaches you flew? (Especially crimes.)

Someone compiling a very extensive blackmail database.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Uh-oh, something's on fire on the runway at Haneda airport now. Looks like an airliner might have crashed. What a start to the year...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

quote:

Footage on broadcaster NHK showed flames coming out of the windows of the aircraft and beneath it. The runway was also set alight.

NHK, citing authorities, said the plane may have collided with another aircraft after landing at Haneda. There are passengers on board.

It also reported that the plane, JAL 516, had taken off from Hokkaido.

That's a whole lot of bad

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Spoggerific posted:

Uh-oh, something's on fire on the runway at Haneda airport now. Looks like an airliner might have crashed. What a start to the year...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-67862011

quote:

A Japan Airlines plane was in flames as it landed on a runway at Tokyo's Haneda airport on Tuesday evening.

Footage on broadcaster NHK showed flames coming out of the windows of the aircraft and beneath it. The runway was also set alight.

NHK, citing authorities, said the plane may have collided with another aircraft after landing at Haneda. There are passengers on board.

It also reported that the plane, JAL 516, had taken off from Hokkaido.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Jesus Christ, can we just give Japan a do-over on starting 2024?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Looks like everyone on the airliner survived, but 5 out of 6 people on the Japan coast guard plane can't be accounted for. Saw it on the TV and I'm cleaning up after dinner with family so I can't be bothered to grab a source, but considering how fast the plane went up in flames that's practically a miracle.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

drat it is not looking good for Japan in 2024 https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/fire-breaks-out-plane-runway-japans-tokyo-haneda-airport-nhk-2024-01-02/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Jesus Christ, I read that "after collision with coast guard aircraft" as in-flight accident/crash with loss of all souls.

Plane was evacuated, only minor injuries, coast guard crew all unaccounted for unfortunately :smith:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Jesus Christ, I read that "after collision with coast guard aircraft" as in-flight accident/crash with loss of all souls.

Plane was evacuated, only minor injuries, coast guard crew all unaccounted for unfortunately :smith:

Here's hoping they find the coast guard aircraft and it's crew (hopefully alive)

this NHK link has video of the incident https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20240102_302/

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
A day has passed since the earthquake, so the extent of the damage is starting to become apparent. Here's an English article from the NHK with a summary and pictures and videos of the damage.

48 people dead so far, around 200 buildings burned to the ground in a large fire, dozens of structures completely collapsed, and some 30,000 people currently staying at evacuation centers. It looks like the largest tsunami was around 1.2 meters at its highest, and damage was confined to capsizing and beaching boats at harbors.

All in all, that's... a lot less damage and fewer deaths than I was expecting, even the reports are still early. Especially because a major tsunami warning (5+ meters high) was issued, IIRC the first time since the earthquake in 2011. Although, the JMA did mention during a press release that there is a ~10% chance of an earthquake of similar strength happening in the coming weeks.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Tythas posted:

Here's hoping they find the coast guard aircraft and it's crew (hopefully alive)

this NHK link has video of the incident https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20240102_302/

If they haven't found them by now, I strongly doubt they survived, the CG aircraft was completely obliterated by the airliner on the runway from what it looks like

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Spoggerific posted:

Especially because a major tsunami warning (5+ meters high) was issued, IIRC the first time since the earthquake in 2011.

The weather agency head honcho came on tv later in the evening to apologize for the unrealistic warning, i was kinda stunned by it.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/EN_NERV/status/1742127012360364163

The coast guard plane involved in the crash was going to deliver supplies to the area affected by yesterday's earthquake.

SlowBloke posted:

The weather agency head honcho came on tv later in the evening to apologize for the unrealistic warning, i was kinda stunned by it.

I saw them apologize for accidentally re-issuing the same shindo 7 earthquake warning some time yesterday, but I must have missed the bit where they apologized for the tsunami warning. That surprises me too; everything I've seen tells me that they lean towards over-emphasizing warnings ever since 2011, which is probably the right move.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 2, 2024

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

SlowBloke posted:

I man, I would rather apologize for making too big a warning than stand in the same spot apologizing for all the dead I didn't save.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is it even possible to have an early warning system that doesn't create thousands of people who decide to ride it out every time?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Flikken posted:

How about we indict Clinton and Trump over this, convict and incarcerate them both. Then refer W and Obama to the ICC.

Get all of the living ex presidents.

Jimmy carter's brain to be removed and placed inside a cyborg so he can build housing for eternity

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

pseudosavior posted:

I man, I would rather apologize for making too big a warning than stand in the same spot apologizing for all the dead I didn't save.

I was stunned cause I live in a country that considered acceptable to put seismologists at trial because judges believed they didn't made enough of a point of the risk of a quake. I am mad envious of that kind of integrity shown by the Japanese rep instead of just going "shucks" as I would expect from my government appointed officials after telling wrong data on tv.

Spoggerific posted:

That surprises me too; everything I've seen tells me that they lean towards over-emphasizing warnings ever since 2011, which is probably the right move.

Even a receptive crowd might start dismissing an alert if they believed it might be overinflated compared to reality, it's better to keep the message accurate to avoid a "cry wolf" scenario.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 2, 2024

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
eck, double posting, sorry

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is it even possible to have an early warning system that doesn't create thousands of people who decide to ride it out every time?

When we had those massive floods this year, the government didn't use the new Japan-like warning system IT-ALERT officially because it was still in test but unofficially because the biggest hit on socials and search engine after the first test was "how to turn IT-ALERT off". If an IT-ALERT would go off right now, I would expect 90% of people of just closing the notification without looking at it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My phone blew up with a "blue alert" for the first time last week, I think because we don't have them in KY, and I was in NC. So now I turned off "severe alerts" because that's the category it's in. If there's a flash flood or tornado it better be in the "extreme alert" category or I'll miss it, because absolutely gently caress off with "blue alert"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Imo, any road to that wouldn't go under systems design, but culture and values. Since the challenge is the audience there and not anything technical.

You'd need an author (government lol) that people trust, and who people are convinced care for them. And then you'd need those people to not automatically value all, even dumb, forms of obstinance to Big Man comin' 'ere telling them things. And then, to not have people start fighting eachother to get ahead in the que for salvation, you probably also need some strength in the social bond between them. Both trust in other people treating you fairly, even in this crisis, and sadly some substantiated fear of social consequences if you yourself break the trust to sabotage others.

Thats how I see you start having the norm be, to do what you're told to. To run when the telephone screams run. Or take a vaccine

E; Ie This would be what you'd need to get there as a new norm. Once this audience is in that mindspace they could probably autopilot through a lot of mistrust and weakening societal bonds

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 2, 2024

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

My phone blew up with a "blue alert" for the first time last week, I think because we don't have them in KY, and I was in NC. So now I turned off "severe alerts" because that's the category it's in. If there's a flash flood or tornado it better be in the "extreme alert" category or I'll miss it, because absolutely gently caress off with "blue alert"

Same, that was the first I’d gotten one. And now all my emergency alerts are off too, because I got like 4 in a row (over the same incident, I’m pretty sure).

Someone in the NC thread said something along the lines of “wow, the state really did create a system to alert everyone when someone smokes pork”.

e:

Rolo posted:

We live in NC, I’d be surprised if we didn’t have a statewide notification system involving smoked pork.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-years-day-crash-kills-2-injures-5-rochester-ny-gasoline-canisters-rcna131836

quote:

ROCHESTER, New York — Police were investigating after two vehicles, one with gasoline canisters inside, collided early on New Year’s Day, killing two people and injuring five others in Rochester, New York, officials said.

The crash happened shortly before 1 a.m. Monday as officers were directing traffic after a concert let out at the Kodak Center theater complex, police said in a statement.

A Ford Expedition struck a Mitsubishi Outlander, sending both vehicles “through a group of pedestrians that were in the crosswalk,” the statement said.

The collision caused an explosion and a large blaze that took the fire department more than an hour to extinguish.

Once the flames were doused, firefighters “located at least a dozen gasoline canisters in and around” the Expedition, the police statement said. That prompted police to bring in an arson team and alert the FBI, police said.

The FBI Buffalo Field Office confirmed in a statement that the agency is assisting the Rochester Police Department in the investigation.

Wtf

*Edit* they're now investigating it as domestic terrorism and the suspect left a suicide note

Basticle fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 2, 2024

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

FYI, this graph conveys a much more dire conception of winter temperatures than is actually the reality. I, and most Americans, prefer this version put out by Americans for Climate Sanity, which is led by industry leaders from the gas, mining and automobile sectors.

See? Nothing to worry about.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Basticle posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-years-day-crash-kills-2-injures-5-rochester-ny-gasoline-canisters-rcna131836

Wtf

*Edit* they're now investigating it as domestic terrorism and the suspect left a suicide note

What a piece of poo poo. God drat.

At least there weren't more deaths. Christ. What a country, when we can say that as a positive when poo poo like this happens.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Climate change isn't an issue, nor is anything else listed below, hth. Edit: jfc I can't do an embed correctly anymore 2024 is hell

https://fxtwitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1741489388528304489

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

What a piece of poo poo. God drat.

At least there weren't more deaths. Christ. What a country, when we can say that as a positive when poo poo like this happens.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2024/01/02/michael-avery-killed-in-crash-kodak-center-rochester-ny/72081597007/

3 dead now, driver of the weird vehicle and two passengers of the one he hit, also one pedestrian has life-threatening injuries, and eight less serious ones.
The suspect is apparently from Syracuse, which makes it extra weird --- why drive to the neighboring, not particularly remarkable, city to this sort of thing?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

OddObserver posted:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2024/01/02/michael-avery-killed-in-crash-kodak-center-rochester-ny/72081597007/

3 dead now, driver of the weird vehicle and two passengers of the one he hit, also one pedestrian has life-threatening injuries, and eight less serious ones.
The suspect is apparently from Syracuse, which makes it extra weird --- why drive to the neighboring, not particularly remarkable, city to this sort of thing?

Didnt want to hurt someone he might know?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Presumably the suspect's brain functioned well enough to understand that they were in Syracuse and thus triggered an overwhelmingly powerful instinct to escape from Syracuse.

This might sound like a joke if you've never been to Syracuse, but I assure you it is not.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Was he buying cheap gas and storing it in the worst way possible?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Was he buying cheap gas and storing it in the worst way possible?

The cops are reporting a suicide note in his hotel room so probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Midjack posted:

The cops are reporting a suicide note in his hotel room so probably not.

Well that changes things.

Always trying to look at the dumbest possible reason.