Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Now, if we could get Trump to shittalk BTS, Blackpink, and Twice, I'd wager the Blinks, Once and whatever BTS fans call themselves would just turn the 2024 election into a foregone conclusion.

I’m highly offended you left out Stays. Going to start a campaign now to bring GiP down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Sarah posted:

I’m highly offended you left out Stays. Going to start a campaign now to bring GiP down.

The CSPAM is coming from inside the building!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sarah posted:

Look, I know the group has been defunct for essentially a 8-9 years now, but the enduring power of Orange Caramel fans cannot be discounted.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Man beheads his own father for being a federal worker under the "Biden regime" and posts video on YouTube holding the severed head, calling for militias to kill any federal official on sight :chaostrump:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My friend group has adopted a guy who complains bitterly about his divorce, is super into Tucker Carlson and dumb Biden conspiracies, and loudly uses terms like “slant eye” in the middle of dinner at a Korean BBQ joint. I think I’m going to bow out of any future meetups that involve him.

Not totally related to this, just something on my mind.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

My friend group has adopted a guy who complains bitterly about his divorce, is super into Tucker Carlson and dumb Biden conspiracies, and loudly uses terms like “slant eye” in the middle of dinner at a Korean BBQ joint. I think I’m going to bow out of any future meetups that involve him.

Holy poo poo.

That dude definitely uses the hard R when he says the gamer word while punching holes in his apartment dry wall.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I always love when someone puts the FBI, BLM movement, "woke", every single gay person, ICE, and the IRS (???) Into the same conspiracy, it's such a good litmus test for if someone's to loving insane to even bother talking to.

Sucks for the dude's dad though, that's rough.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Sarah posted:

I'll have to check with the Bunnies whether I can afford to apologize to you without ending up in a two-front war.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I know it's usually used to mean "feels good but accomplishes nothing because no effort" but I didn't intend for it to be a negative in my post. I think it (and the rally registration thing mentioned above also) show that there are, in fact, some strategies of effective action in the modern age that can be taken without un-assing your computer chair. "Slacktivism" feels like a good word to use for it.

If I'm alone in thinking that it's not always an insult then that's fine. I don't intend to run a "taking the word back" campaign or anything like that.

nah i wasn't aiming at you, don't sweat it. i'm just a bitter cripple who's tired of being shamed for not "doing more" when "doing more" would injure or kill me

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How are the Swifties going to respond to this escalation?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I don't even know how to respond anymore

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

"No YOU shut the gently caress up dad!"

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Elviscat posted:

I always love when someone puts the FBI, BLM movement, "woke", every single gay person, ICE, and the IRS (???) Into the same conspiracy, it's such a good litmus test for if someone's to loving insane to even bother talking to.

Sucks for the dude's dad though, that's rough.

Once a conspiracy is big enough it stops being a conspiracy and just starts being society.

That's fundamentally why they have to adopt conspiratorial thinking. They've convinced themselves that their values and beliefs are shared by the hyper majority of "real" Americans and to preserve that belief any contrary evidence has to be fake.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm sure he's sure that His President will pardon him for being a political prisoner of the radical left Marxist something something.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Once a conspiracy is big enough it stops being a conspiracy and just starts being society.

That's fundamentally why they have to adopt conspiratorial thinking. They've convinced themselves that their values and beliefs are shared by the hyper majority of "real" Americans and to preserve that belief any contrary evidence has to be fake.

In this case, it's all because a narcissistic Boomer is willing to take a blowtorch to this country because he really, really doesn't want to spend the rest of whatever is left of his life in prison.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zero VGS posted:

I was just thinking about this guy the other day

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm sure he's sure that His President will pardon him for being a political prisoner of the radical left Marxist something something.

In this case, it's all because a narcissistic Boomer is willing to take a blowtorch to this country because he really, really doesn't want to spend the rest of whatever is left of his life in prison.

I mean even if Trump came out and said

"Alright, you guys got me. Here is video of me doing crimes, I'm sorry, I've been grifting you this entire time, the right wing is trying to make you stupid, dumb, poors into stupider, dumber, poorers and I've been tricking you the entire time into believe some really stupid poo poo."

They'd just move the goal post and say that Trump was being forced to say that or was actually part of the conspiracy the entire time. Trumps a symptom not a cause.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The only unambiguously true things that can be said about Trump and the current state of things is that he made the internal Republican processes revolve around him, and that he encouraged people to be their worst selves.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

mlmp08 posted:

Look, I know the group has been defunct for essentially a 8-9 years now, but the enduring power of Orange Caramel fans cannot be discounted.

:confused:

https://youtu.be/JsOOis4bBFg?si=8z5_YZnnYMFShnHa

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I’m just boosting the idea of more Orange Caramel in everyone’s playlists.

https://youtu.be/Med2XipHJJM?si=GsZ2aszDkzgQmpH8

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

mlmp08 posted:

I’m just boosting the idea of more Orange Caramel in everyone’s playlists.

https://youtu.be/Med2XipHJJM?si=GsZ2aszDkzgQmpH8

Never heard of them but I love it!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Tiny Timbs posted:

nah, invite the whole group out to dinner at a korean place and the first time he says some racist poo poo, stand up and go "ok, this guy is too racist for me, im out" and if your friends kick him out then good, otherwise rip them

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
it appears that a CIWS got to fire shots in anger yesterday

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/31/politics/us-warship-close-call-houthi-missile/index.html

quote:

A cruise missile launched by the Houthis into the Red Sea on Tuesday night came within a mile of a US destroyer before it was shot down, four US officials told CNN, the closest a Houthi attack has come to a US warship.

In the past, these missiles have been intercepted by US destroyers in the area at a range of eight miles or more, the officials said. But the USS Gravely had to use its Close-In Weapon System (CIWS) for the first time since the US began intercepting the Houthi missiles late last year, which ultimately succeeded in downing the missile, officials said.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Making it to CIWS range with destroyer is a little uncomfortable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Drones are this century’s torpedo boats.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I’m no sailor, but I always took it to be a really bad thing to have to use CIWS.

Misconception?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’m no sailor, but I always took it to be a really bad thing to have to use CIWS.

Misconception?

Not a misconception. If you're employing CIWS against incoming, poo poo has gone sideways in a very bad way. The range of CIWS is such that if it misses, you're taking an ASM in the side in about a second's time.

Gravely was very aware of the incoming and likely placed herself there intentionally, but at the same time, hearing a CIWS go BRRRT in anger would be an absolute pucker factor event.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean even if Trump came out and said

"Alright, you guys got me. Here is video of me doing crimes, I'm sorry, I've been grifting you this entire time, the right wing is trying to make you stupid, dumb, poors into stupider, dumber, poorers and I've been tricking you the entire time into believe some really stupid poo poo."

They'd just move the goal post and say that Trump was being forced to say that or was actually part of the conspiracy the entire time. Trumps a symptom not a cause.

it's also a way above zero chance that he still would not go to prison or face any meaningful legal consequences

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Messenger died today after being in business for a year and lighting $50M in venture capital on fire

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1752799170107199490?t=TAb2hy6mXlrOKFZP2eUn8g&s=19

I really do wonder why henge funds buy up newspapers just to drive them directly into the ground - like how much money do they even make with that strategy? Or do they just load the newspaper companies full of debt, due to the hedge fund, in the initial buyout?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

facialimpediment posted:

I really do wonder why henge funds buy up newspapers just to drive them directly into the ground - like how much money do they even make with that strategy? Or do they just load the newspaper companies full of debt, due to the hedge fund, in the initial buyout?

i didn't get to see this because screenings had already sold out, but apparently selling off the real estate is profitable, after which they don't care: https://oaklandside.org/2024/01/24/stripped-for-parts-american-journalism-on-the-brink-new-parkway-rick-goldsmith/

dunno how they structure it such that they can extract those profits without needing to service the debt, but financiers are creative, they can find a way

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Duzzy Funlop posted:

maga

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

facialimpediment posted:

The Messenger died today after being in business for a year and lighting $50M in venture capital on fire

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1752799170107199490?t=TAb2hy6mXlrOKFZP2eUn8g&s=19

e: not the right video, it's no longer on youtube, but they had one about local newspapers being bought up by a single billionaire, creating news deserts that hide local government malfeasance.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 1, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wasabi the J posted:

e: not the right video, it's no longer on youtube, but they had one about local newspapers being bought up by a single billionaire, creating news deserts that hide local government malfeasance.

Now THAT part I fully understand - Baltimore has some rich douche basically doing that. Bought a paper, makes them investigate his chuddy desires.

I just don't get how it's profitable for the hedge funds, outside of selling the real estate. Like do they actually make back the money that they put into these newspapers? Setting aside all the people and reporters they gently caress over, do they even make their fuckin money back?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

facialimpediment posted:

Now THAT part I fully understand - Baltimore has some rich douche basically doing that. Bought a paper, makes them investigate his chuddy desires.

I just don't get how it's profitable for the hedge funds, outside of selling the real estate. Like do they actually make back the money that they put into these newspapers? Setting aside all the people and reporters they gently caress over, do they even make their fuckin money back?

The point is to silence local media just like that police search warrant on the newspaper, or the local politician who murdered a reporter in Las Vegas.

Billionaires are largely criminals and reporters they don't control won't shut the gently caress up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. You do not get that rich by being nice.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Is this too dark for a thread title?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Maybe next month, son

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

facialimpediment posted:

i am pulling this entirely out of my rear end, but my assumption is that it's a lot like the leveraged buyouts and poo poo you see tanking companies elsewhere. do funny tricks with debt, pay yourself all the money, oops the other place is bankrupt and everyone who didn't get out loses.

in addition to its already stated effects on local politics.

my favorite story of this kind is always the lvrj, who were bought out by ... somebody??? they had to investigate themselves to finally uncover who the mystery buyer was, and it was the lovely horrid billionaire (but i repeat myself) sheldon adelson.

proper, quality journalism isn't dying. it's being killed.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Zero VGS posted:

For the uninitiated

https://youtu.be/9OYZ04mCGCo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

proper, quality journalism isn't dying. it's being killed.

funny you say that in regards to that specific newspaper

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/jeff-german-las-vegas-reporter-killed-investigating-robert-telles-wrongdoing/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

2024 just keeps going.

Bad story: Son of an Isreali consular officer uses a motorcycle to run over a cop, during a traffic stop. Suspectec to be intentional.
https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article284905607.html

Cool story: It's only infrared but, the JWST has directly imaged two planets orbiting a white dwarf. https://phys.org/news/2024-01-webb-images-planets-orbiting-white.amp