Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaddak posted:

2024 just keeps going.

Bad story: Son of an Isreali consular officer uses a motorcycle to run over a cop, during a traffic stop. Suspectec to be intentional.
https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article284905607.html

Cool story: It's only infrared but, the JWST has directly imaged two planets orbiting a white dwarf. https://phys.org/news/2024-01-webb-images-planets-orbiting-white.amp

quote:

During his bond hearing on Sunday, Gil’s attorney told the judge the suspect is the son of a diplomat; therefore, he has “consular immunity.” WPLG Local 10 News reported Gil is the son of Eli Gil, consul for administration at the Consulate General of Israel in Miami.

Despite the allegation that Gil can’t be prosecuted, Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office said in a statement Wednesday the case remains open.

“Defense counsel’s representation was relied upon and the defendant was released on his own recognizance,” the state attorney’s office said. “After receiving confirmation from the State Department, Office of Foreign Missions, that neither the defendant nor his father have diplomatic immunity, we are proceeding as usual with our investigation.”

lol consular immunity wouldn’t even apply to the consul here? I however assume that gambit bought them enough time to board a flight home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

On the one hand, gently caress diplomatic immunity for personal crimes. On the other hand, the piggy just has a bruised leg and is already back on duty so who really cares.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Dad probably has at best support staff level immunity which only applies to official acts and therefore doesn't convey any privileges to family members.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

On the one hand, gently caress diplomatic immunity for personal crimes.

It's actually super important for reciprocity reasons, to keep our diplomats from getting detained or worse for bullshit crimes at the whims of foreign governments or even individual members of those governments who have authority.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tyro posted:

It's actually super important for reciprocity reasons, to keep our diplomats from getting detained or worse for bullshit crimes at the whims of foreign governments or even individual members of those governments who have authority.

It's difficult to put a hard line on it, and it is easily abusable which is why there is a historical precedent for diplomatic immunity. But at least among countries that are nominally allies it seems reasonable to have reciprocal agreements that lets an ambassador that chokes a prostitute face consequences without damaging diplomatic relations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Tyro posted:

Dad probably has at best support staff level immunity which only applies to official acts and therefore doesn't convey any privileges to family members.

Yeah that’s cool and all but if they’re going to beat charges, I think I or anyone else similarly affected should get a “get out of jail free” card if we beat the poo poo out of the rear end in a top hat with diplomatic plates who runs a red light and almost hits me while I’m in a crosswalk in DC. This has happened multiple times.

gently caress this kid, the only thing different between him and every other aspiring teenage organ donor with a motorcycle is that Daddy has a fancy job.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's difficult to put a hard line on it, and it is easily abusable which is why there is a historical precedent for diplomatic immunity. But at least among countries that are nominally allies it seems reasonable to have reciprocal agreements that lets an ambassador that chokes a prostitute face consequences without damaging diplomatic relations.

Yep about that,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Harry_Dunn

TLDR - Family member of CIA agent in the UK drives on the wrong side of the road and kills someone. Flees the country and America goes 'tough luck'. Special relationship indeed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The country that owns the person accredited to the host county can waive immunity if they want. In practice this almost never happens but the option exists if a person granted immunity does something especially heinous.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Baconroll posted:

Yep about that,

TLDR - Family member of CIA agent in the UK drives on the wrong side of the road and kills someone. Flees the country and America goes 'tough luck'. Special relationship indeed.

According to that article, the UK government told the US to fly her out. Soooo.

quote:

On 14 September, Foreign Office diplomat Neil Holland texted a US official that "It's obviously not us approving of their departure", but that, since the US was not waiving immunity, "I think you should feel able to put them on the next flight out". On 16 September, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) informed the police that the waiver had been declined and that Sacoolas had left the UK on a US Air Force aircraft. The Telegraph reported that Sacoolas left the country on a 'private' flight which likely took off from the US airbase at Mildenhall.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Baconroll posted:

Yep about that,

She drove on the right side of the road.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

bad_fmr posted:

She failed to uphold the ooda loop or master the exiges of flexibility and retreated.
Nothing right about being a failure son

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bad_fmr posted:

Ah, but the right side was the wrong side.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

I never claimed otherwise :thejoke:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

On the one hand, gently caress diplomatic immunity for personal crimes. On the other hand, the piggy just has a bruised leg and is already back on duty so who really cares.

This wouldn't have happened if he was south african

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://vxtwitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1752384265030090790
https://vxtwitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1752384960110252444

Getting those Brett Favre level concessions.

https://mississippitoday.org/2024/01/25/amazon-data-center-mississippi-entergy/

quote:

Lawmakers on Thursday agreed to put up $44 million in taxpayer dollars for the project, make a loan of $215 million, and provide numerous tax breaks.

Amazon has committed that the data centers that will store the company’s technology will employ at least 1,000 people in two locations in Madison County – one in southern Madison County near the Hinds County line and the other on I-55 near the Nissan plant.

Haley Fisackerly, Entergy’s chief executive officer, estimated between $2 billion and $3 billion will be spent on the power generating facilities, both solar and natural gas. He said the facilities will benefit not only Amazon but all Entergy customers. Entergy provides electricity to a large area of the state, including much of central Mississippi.

During Thursday’s special session called by Reeves, the Legislature wasted little time approving the incentive package agreed to by Amazon and the governor’s economic development team. One senator and two House members voted against different parts of the proposal.

On Thursday, Rep. Robert Johnson, D-Natchez, the House minority leader, unsuccessfully offered an amendment mandating that 25% of the jobs at Amazon’s data centers in Madison County must be held by Mississippians.

The legislation passed Thursday gives Entergy the authority to build power-generating facilities without obtaining the authority of the Public Service Commission, as would normally be required. But PSC will still regulate the rates levied by Entergy for the project, though the commissioners would be required to expedite the process.

The legislation approved Thursday commits the state to provide $44 million through appropriations, plus multiple tax breaks. Those tax incentives include a permanent exemption of sales and use taxes on equipment purchases, other temporary sales and use tax exemptions, a 10-year exemption of corporate income taxes and a rebate of 3.15% of some construction costs. In addition, for 30 years the tax breaks will continue if Amazon makes an annual investment of $500 million and adds an additional 50 jobs a year.

The bulk of the $44 million appropriation — $32 million – will be for workforce training with the rest to get the project off the ground. The state also will provide a loan of $215 primarily for sewer improvements and for other infrastructure work.

Cork said a study by the state economist indicated that the state would recover the funds committed to the project within 10 months “and then there will be revenue for miles.”

This is sounding a lot like the Foxconn valley poo poo in WI tbh. I wonder how much that state economist found under their pillow.

That Works fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 1, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lmao those data centers maybe have that many people working on them during construction but it's a tiny number of computer janitors and facility maintenance people there on a daily basis once they're up and running.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lmfao at killing both the job and tax benefits from having a business operate in your state and giving them a cash reward on top

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Lmao those data centers maybe have that many people working on them during construction but it's a tiny number of computer janitors and facility maintenance people there on a daily basis once they're up and running.

A lot of them its just a handful of security guards, maybe 1-2 computer janitors and an occasional ISP technician.

I love datacenters.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/egavactip/status/1752811251057488189?t=vfzDejFNczVsJi9ubqNC9g&s=19

Everybody gets a turn at the bad end of some whackjob's conspiracy theory in leopard eating faces land.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 1, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It's February and time to be gay and do crimes

except being gay and loving in a Senate hearing room is legal so just be gay

https://twitter.com/bresreports/status/1753066641519468648?t=jUFZeHTVV8e_wR0Ly6i0tg&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 1, 2024

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of them its just a handful of security guards, maybe 1-2 computer janitors and an occasional ISP technician.

I love datacenters.

Family friend was a Coast Guard engineer who retired & kept his security clearance so now he keeps an eye on generators for a cell phone company’s data center that is considered critical infrastructure. Great gig he has a nice house.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

facialimpediment posted:

It's February and time to be gay and do crimes

except being gay and loving in a Senate hearing room is legal so just be gay

https://twitter.com/bresreports/status/1753066641519468648?t=jUFZeHTVV8e_wR0Ly6i0tg&s=19

At least the staffer had the sense to

NOT loving TALK TO COPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
New thread, who dis?