Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nystral posted:

Looks like a possible leak of Epstein flight logs from US v Maxwell.

Clinton, Trump, Spacey, and Chris Tucker were who I was able to make out.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21165424-epstein-flight-logs-released-in-usa-vs-maxwell

Sad + Creepy is that lots of people are named and then just randomly "1 female" thrown in here and there like they are a pet.

Tiny Timbs posted:

How do the chuds rationalize Trump’s visits to child rape island?

The same way they call him a good christian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah financially we are in good shape at home but could not really afford to move and buy a home anywhere close to the quality of the one we bought only 5 years ago.

People who didn't buy in a couple years back are pretty hosed in terms of home ownership and rents have only skyrocketed here in New England. That and the general quality of almost everything is palpably worse across the board.I can confidently say we are paying a lot more for a lot less (both quantity and quality) vs just 4-5 years prior.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'm in the Providence area and I'm bracing for what will almost certainly be a major rent hike this year, which would push our rent from "high, but not unaffordable" firmly into "unaffordable". Doesn't help that rents have been rising faster in RI than literally anywhere else in the country. This is going to doubly suck because the place we have now is super conveniently located for both me and my wife, and I'm really not in the mood to have to move to some bargain basement shithole out in the boonies just so I can afford to stay alive.

I was hoping to buy a place one of these days but that prospect feels more distant than ever right about now.

Yup.

It's bullshit here, the house we bought 5 years ago we cannot possibly afford to live in if we were to buy it today with our current salaries. Makes all the "income is up actually" talk pretty drat hollow.

Also lol our electricity is the highest in the country outside of Hawaii and gets like 30-40% increases for each winter.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Seems kind of like flamebait or something. Its not like Trump gives a poo poo if he signs some oath or promise.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

McNally posted:

I did a little bit of digging

I appreciate this.

Also lmao one dude on twitter is living it up, he was posting poo poo like "I live on a ground floor apt and I keep hearing yiddish coming from the floor I am not crazy seriously wtf guys".

Pretty vindicated today for them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

What's the translation for "animals in Gaza"?

that's bait

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Given that Gay Marriage is settled Federally - LMAO good loving luck, bigots.

In a 6-3 decision

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Its unlikely they are going to revisit it anytime soon. While they've enabled bigots to refuse service, they have been fairly clear that Marriage is not something they are likely to reverse soon.

Roe is precedent and settled law.

Im fairly confident the court in its current configuration will overturn it sooner rather than later.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mapchat is a fun derail

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Been going through all of Banks’s Culture novels as an older adult and drat could he write, especially at the end.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Concern for me is that the Haley “never Trump” voters just don’t vote instead of voting for Biden and well, are we expecting massive minority and young voter turnout for a guy who should be in a retirement home with a weak economy?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ASAPI posted:

As others have already said, a Republican voter not voting is essentially the same as them pulling the lever for Biden.

I am curious about turnout for the younger crowd this election. I recently heard a story about how college/university admissions have been changing. Turns out young people are pulling out of schools that are in states with restrictive abortions or plan B laws. The story cited something like 10-15% dips, but it shows that the kids are actually thinking and taking action. Maybe Taylor Swift will deploy her legions, maybe kids are starting to care.

My concern is that it gets us back into a stupid knife-edge low voter turnout "anything goes" kind of situation. Some republicans not voting for Trump will hopefully be enough to counteract the complete lack of appeal of a Biden 2nd term for many. He initially campaigned on running only one term due to his age and that just vanished after a while. He's done some good things but he's not ever going to be the type to energize many new voters or younger voters to come out to the polls imo.

OddObserver posted:

You mean with people mistakenly thinking the economy is weak?

Yeah lemme go tell my grad students who have had a 5% salary increase concomitant with a 30-35% rent increase and a 25% increase in food costs over the last few years that its fine. My salary increase has been even smaller but because I make enough to absorb the increased costs of living it only hurts me by cutting into the amount I spend in general / funnel into retirement savings. Working as much or more than ever for less at the end of the day, hard to say its a good economy but I don't spend my time on Wall St.

That Works fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 24, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

I am exactly one of those "My situation is good but I feel the 'economy' is hosed" people and my reasoning for that is because I live my life one wrong car turn or cancer diagnosis or blood vessel away from losing everything I have to bankruptcy and homelessness for my family with absolutely no form of safety net to catch us the picosecond I am no longer a profit-making endeavor for my employer. How the gently caress does me making an above average salary and having some money in the bank translate to a good situation when it can all completely evaporate with no hope for recovery based on nothing I did or choices I made? It's a better situation than I've had in the past, but that is a long goddamn way from good.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Same boat. I’m what used to be considered a middle-class professional, but thanks to rising prices and wages that haven’t kept pace with inflation, my ability to save, contribute to retirement and maintain my lifestyle is significantly constrained. We recently had a major emergency surgery for one of my dogs that would cost $10k USD, and the only reason we didn’t hesitate is because we have insurance for them. If we didn’t, we would have had the choice of severely damaging our finances or losing what is basically a family member to us.

People keep pointing at economic indicators and a “vibecession” and I keep getting a “no, it’s the children voters who are wrong” vibe from them. Statistics don’t mean poo poo if your own situation doesn’t reflect them, and I’m tired of being condescended to by people telling me how wrong I am about how great the economy is because it’s in their political interest to do so.

Basically all of this.

Of course I'm going to vote for Biden when the time comes but if you put a lot of people to question "is my life better than it was 4 years ago" it's not and for people who only vote in their own self interests that's something. Whether that is enough people to matter is the question.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mustang posted:

I don't get giving Presidents credit or holding them responsible for the state of the economy.

Biden didn't cause tech to massively overhire and then lay off hundreds of thousands of people. They did that to themselves.

My complaints about our economic system aren't really things Biden could change on his own even if he wanted to. We got ourselves into this mess.

This is all true but the fact that people do and will hold the President responsible for it remains and will be some kind of factor on the election outcome.

I would love to at least see Biden try to do some broad EO to forgive student debt, or make interest held on federal student loans zero or anything, even if it eventually gets annihilated in the courts it will probably get people out to actually support something rather than just voting to oppose Trump or oppose abortion bans (even though the DNC doesn't even really agree on this).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

He did this and it was struck down. This is rather telling in how even the good stuff he has tried or even gotten through is largely forgotten, poo poo'd for not going far enough, or just flat out ignored.

Afaik there was the rollout for a 1 time 10k forgiveness which was shot down, did Biden have something on loan forgiveness beyond that and the pause on repayments?

Was there something to try to block interest being charged on federal student loans? Liz Warren had argued for it for years and dropped it before her initial campaign run and I haven't heard of anyone arguing for it since. If you couldn't sell debt forgiveness, even partial, then loan interest on fed loans seems something pretty straightforward that could be negotiated and no one seems to push for anymore.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Platystemon posted:

The Seattle Times and others are covering this as a whistleblower, originally posted in the comments section of Leeham News. News comments sections: finally good for something?

tl;dr: Bolts are removed so that Boeing contractor (and former division) Spirit can fix a fuckup. Removal of bolts is never documented. Bolts are never reinstalled.

In Boeing production speak, this is a “process failure”. For an A&P mechanic at an airline, this would be called “federal crime”.

Good lord

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/superme-court-alabama-proceed-nitrogen-gas-execution-1234953782/

quote:

The Supreme Court has ruled that Alabama can move forward with plans to execute a death row inmate using nitrogen gas — a method of execution by asphyxiation that has never been used in the United States.

The court denied a stay of execution on Wednesday for Kenneth Smith, who was sentenced to death in 1989 for the murder of Elizabeth Sennett, and was already subjected to a botched attempt at execution by lethal injection in 2022. In May of last year, the Supreme Court denied an appeal by state officials to once again attempt to execute Smith through lethal injection.

Death through nitrogen hypoxia, which would occur through the forced inhalation of high concentrations of nitrogen gas, is an untested method of execution. Attempts to use the method to euthanize mammals with the method have been rejected by the American Veterinary Medical Association under findings that the gas can be “distressing for some species.”

Smith would be strapped to a gurney in the execution chamber and fitted with a mask that would feed the gas into his lungs. The increased concentration of nitrogen in Smith’s blood would cause asphyxiation and organ death. Attorneys for Smith have argued that since the procedure has never been tested on a human, the state runs the risk of botching the execution, leaving Smith potentially braindead or with severe physical injuries, as well as violating constitutional protections against cruel and unusual punishments.

Concerns have also been raised that the possibility of a gas leak within the chamber could place the executioners, other correctional staff, and witnesses at risk given the toxic nature of nitrogen and its odorless, colorless properties.

Bolding mine. I'd likely lose my job if we used N2 gas to euthanize lab animals in our research. This is disgusting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Leave posted:

Wait, what? Military tanks, or what?

Chemical storage tank or similar. One gets filled with a heavy odorless gas, person goes in and blacks out, second person rushes in when they find the unconscious/ dead person, repeat until someone remembers to put on breathing apparatus. Tragic stuff.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ive seen enough replies of “yeah it sucks but he murdered someone so what” that yeah this loving sucks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

This is going to sound weird but I swear to god I thought I read Pelosi died, a couple months ago in this very thread.

Sadly false.

That was probably Feinstein, Pelosi is a spring chicken in comparison fwiw. Still in their early 80's iirc so prime age for government leadership.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I am not gonna get bent out of shape about "abuse" when 3 docs gave me over 6 weeks of back issues 3 separate scrips for tramadol, vicodin and oxycontin in that order and it took going to a chiropractor afterwards and less than 3 minutes of examination for him to send me to get Xrays to find I had a fractured L5 vertebrae.

Fortunately, opioids make me nauseous enough that the 1st dose does great at taking the edge off and any followup just sends me vomiting. I kept them around for a few years after and used them when I banged up some ribs or had some nasty sprains etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The biggest swiftie I know IRL is a professor at West Point lol.

Kind of a sweet story really, he got into it to reconnect with his daughter and took her to a concert, they had a blast and its how they keep up these days. When both of their colleges are on break they try to meet up somewhere there is a TSwift show.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

How are the Swifties going to respond to this escalation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://vxtwitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1752384265030090790
https://vxtwitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1752384960110252444

Getting those Brett Favre level concessions.

https://mississippitoday.org/2024/01/25/amazon-data-center-mississippi-entergy/

quote:

Lawmakers on Thursday agreed to put up $44 million in taxpayer dollars for the project, make a loan of $215 million, and provide numerous tax breaks.

Amazon has committed that the data centers that will store the company’s technology will employ at least 1,000 people in two locations in Madison County – one in southern Madison County near the Hinds County line and the other on I-55 near the Nissan plant.

Haley Fisackerly, Entergy’s chief executive officer, estimated between $2 billion and $3 billion will be spent on the power generating facilities, both solar and natural gas. He said the facilities will benefit not only Amazon but all Entergy customers. Entergy provides electricity to a large area of the state, including much of central Mississippi.

During Thursday’s special session called by Reeves, the Legislature wasted little time approving the incentive package agreed to by Amazon and the governor’s economic development team. One senator and two House members voted against different parts of the proposal.

On Thursday, Rep. Robert Johnson, D-Natchez, the House minority leader, unsuccessfully offered an amendment mandating that 25% of the jobs at Amazon’s data centers in Madison County must be held by Mississippians.

The legislation passed Thursday gives Entergy the authority to build power-generating facilities without obtaining the authority of the Public Service Commission, as would normally be required. But PSC will still regulate the rates levied by Entergy for the project, though the commissioners would be required to expedite the process.

The legislation approved Thursday commits the state to provide $44 million through appropriations, plus multiple tax breaks. Those tax incentives include a permanent exemption of sales and use taxes on equipment purchases, other temporary sales and use tax exemptions, a 10-year exemption of corporate income taxes and a rebate of 3.15% of some construction costs. In addition, for 30 years the tax breaks will continue if Amazon makes an annual investment of $500 million and adds an additional 50 jobs a year.

The bulk of the $44 million appropriation — $32 million – will be for workforce training with the rest to get the project off the ground. The state also will provide a loan of $215 primarily for sewer improvements and for other infrastructure work.

Cork said a study by the state economist indicated that the state would recover the funds committed to the project within 10 months “and then there will be revenue for miles.”

This is sounding a lot like the Foxconn valley poo poo in WI tbh. I wonder how much that state economist found under their pillow.

That Works fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 1, 2024