Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
No, we definitely have the technology, but market pressures have driven construction to be as "efficient" as possible to meet code. And often that means things are built like rear end deliberately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Tiny Timbs posted:

I've been through a hundred accountability drills and for this to happen with a commander, their superior, and their staff would be literally unthinkable, never mind the SecDef. Biden should accept his resignation.

Then he'd lose his healthcare, and that would be rude behavior and the democratic bench would frown on such treatment.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I hope someone ties their AI powered trading algorithm to twitter and Knight Capital's themselves out of a billion dollars.

The story of Knight Capital is just the best finance/techbro idiocy schadenfreude

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

MrMojok posted:

Absolutely serious post here, and I ask this because I feel like I can’t trust the stories put out by either side.

Is the border crisis under this administration really a thing? I could have sworn I saw someone ITT recently saying that it absolutely was, but I can’t recall who, or if I’m even remembering the right thread.

What is the real story here?

I am not an expert, but from what I can remember the only "crisis" is that the GOP has legislated their way into one by cutting off all the normal means of immigration. So the "illegal" migrants are almost entirely those who couldn't go through the normal (but now inaccessible) paperwork process.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As always, the only way to do anything about this is to address the root cause - meaningfully penalize the people fraudulently hiring people. This would of course crash profits in agriculture, construction, and a few other sectors, and maybe even bankrupt or imprison some business owners, so everyone quietly pretends it isn’t an option. And the raging racism on the right means that normalizing the level of migration that we need for ongoing growth is also off the table. The only option left is getting angry at the most vulnerable people around for trying to feed their families, and upending their lives in every way possible.

Nah, the way to fix it is to open up simple legal means for both permanent and seasonal immigration. No need to try to do weird things with labor laws or trying to punish anyone at all.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah we're pretty all agreed on the ACAB part, but going on a rampage with a bobcat - even if it is slow and goofy - is still assault with a deadly weapon. Like were in austin powers level territory of the classic 'stop or i'll shoot'

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think if you hit it at the sort of speeds you can get to with such a short runup that both you, the driver, and the guy in the bobcat will be sort of concussed and out of it for the next few minutes. As the emergency responder you really don't want to ring your bell and tangle with airbags for the next five minutes with an unknown outcome.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
CS:Go Gungame but with industrial machinery

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Kesper North posted:

The utility even has a good reason for it, PSE said it was because major NG storage facility in eastern WA had rats in their fiber closet or something and they had to revert to manual operations until it's fixed.

That just makes their incompetency and failure to invest their lucrative public-private partnership money and tax incentives into maintaining critical infrastructure sound even worse.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not discounting that she has her flaws, but the electorate sure does seem quick to jump on women politicians. Like Clinton was also obviously personally flawed, but the level of personal vitriol she got way surpassed any number of scumbags who happened to be men.

Its 100% possible to elevate female candidates who represent their constituents who don't also have terrible politics and awful baggage. But both political parties seem to prefer cringe white dudes for some reason.

Maybe not the best example, but AOC would be a much better 2024 VP pick, but I really doubt the Biden Campaign's and thus by extension the DNC's ability to choose and elevate likeable candidates let alone likable women.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

pseudosavior posted:

Snow Crash is a satire.

So is Idiocracy, never the less

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
But go read some good fiction you literate goons.

Gideon the Ninth
Revelation Space
The Traitor Beru Cormorant
The Blade Itself
The Library at Mount Char
Three Parts Dead

etc

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CBJSprague24 posted:

"No admittance without 3 X minimum beyond this point"'

I'd be surprised if anyone working at the white house wasn't mainlining 30mg Adderall XR, regardless of party. Your job as the staff pharmacist is to keep the wheels from coming off, regardless of the heart problems in later life.

Its like the military's special. Got a cold/flu? Too Bad! Here is 1600mg of Ibuprofen/8hr, 1200mg Guaifenesin/12hr, 60mg Dextromethorphan/6hr, and 120mg pseudoephedrine/12 hr! You'll be fine!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Nobody said that was healthy, just very effective at making you work through fever and flu.

The only person I know who maintained that level of Motrin for more than a few days was doing it for migraines before after about three weeks they sent him to squadron to do paperwork instead.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The Navy is super willy-nilly about drug abuse, its just that those drugs are Motrin, Alcohol, and Caffeine.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It might come down to how you define "committed". Trump has at least some fans that are willing to attempt a coup, but then again if Tay Tay called for an uprising she might get more turnout.

Would be an order of magnitude more effective, they'd be coordinating minutes later on Instagram comments and tumblr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That's enough to send them back through law school so they can become real lawyers.