Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

uh if I wasn't using ex dot com then I wouldn't have learned about this great, life changing product https://twitter.com/BateWorld/status/1716938029783552507

Seems to be already gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

I didn't imbed it, it's the kind of link you need to click to get the full impact of

Yeah it says the post is already gone when I click it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

awesome, thanks for the screenshot

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

He didn't inhale.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Was he buying cheap gas and storing it in the worst way possible?

The cops are reporting a suicide note in his hotel room so probably not.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Good for him! He may actually see the money since it'll be paid out of withheld funds and I hope he has family and other people helping him to assemble a good care team and getting the money set up to last him the rest of his life.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought you couldn’t buy phones in the 50s and could only rent? Or was that more of a 70s thing.

That was through the early 80s. I think there are still a few hundred customers renting their terminals from RBOC successors even today.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

My girlfriend, for some loving reason.

Why yes she’s always out of battery.

Be careful she doesn't slam fire. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That sucks rear end for him but doesn't really explain the secrecy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

McNally posted:

I did a little bit of digging and came up with a couple explanations, one of which was "these young men belong to a particular orthodoxy that requires strict gender segregation and the tunnels were dug under the women's section so they could see naked women," another was "one Hasidic sect wanted to control more space than another sect, hence the tunnels."

I can see either of these or both of them to be true simultaneously.

Someone else had a good one liner, "no telling how deep this rabbi hole goes".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Same as Scientology and a dozen Protestant cults in this great nation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Texas driving beats the hell out of the the plains states. At least you can drive at a good clip and see desert rock formations, especially in west Texas (West Texas into NM or AZ kind of rules for driving)

Kansas, East Colorado, etc is magnitudes more mind numbing.

North or south through Colorado with the Rockies over your shoulder is nice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The Two Chinas situation has been such a joke for so long that ˇJeb!, who is not a young man, grew up hearing his dad refer to his tennis serve as “unleashing Chang”.

Looking back at it the world would be a better place if someone 60 years ago had persuaded the Kuomintang to give up on the mainland and just make their own China with blackjack and hookers on the island.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beijing had also said they'd let "one country two systems" keep going for fifty years before fully integrating HK but Pooh Bear decided he wanted his signature accomplishment to be bringing HK, Macao, and Taiwan back under the full control of Beijing so they jumped it forward a couple of decades.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

i thought they werent loving with macao for money printing reasons

Similar poo poo is happening there with bullshit disqualifying of candidates for office but HK has always enjoyed much stronger brand recognition. Macao has also generally had fewer protests than its neighbor so there have been fewer attention catching crackdowns there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

o7

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The first chapter of Snow Crash is amazing (Hiro’s pizza delivery). Then it goes downhill fast.

E: Also I have respect for naming your main character Hiro Protagonist. I’d have more respect if the rest of the book was good enough to justify the joke.

Snow Crash is a Mondo 2000 fanfic. Full stop.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If I remember right Google Earth was directly inspired by Earth in Snow Crash.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

But go read some good fiction you literate goons.

Gideon the Ninth
Revelation Space
The Traitor Beru Cormorant
The Blade Itself
The Library at Mount Char
Three Parts Dead

etc

Mount Char owns pretty hard.

Stravag posted:

I liked the bean books way more than all the goofy poo poo 1k years down the line with the teleportation and remaking bodies with the power of belief

The Shadow series was okay but I dropped it after the author had one of the young adult military geniuses talking about how great it was to go into battle with her husband's jizz running down her thighs. Like what the gently caress, Orson.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hypnophant posted:

A few more

Blindsight
Ninefox Gambit
The Quantum Thief
Hull Three Zero
An Unclean Legacy

Quantum Thief and the two followups, Fractal Prince and Causal Angel, are also infinitely excellent.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nasty friction burns from bad golf club grip?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

https://twitter.com/Norm_Macdonalds/status/1748415341460361317

Norm Macdonalds here has immediately zeroed in on the most important aspect to this story. Somebody get him a WP column.

That would be a funnier burn if it was coming out of National, I don't think there are many paid parking lots in Loudoun County.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Didnt Norm die?

A few years ago but his last name didn't end with an s.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I guess moscow mitch is trying to shed the nickname.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

This is the real insanity:

If that defect discovery rate was 1 a month it would warrant a thorough internal Boeing investigation to find out who's loving up. Over one a *day* is a sign that their industrial processes have completely broken down. With those sorts of numbers it's absolutely unsurprising that elements on both the sub and prime side are engaged in "process failure" activities.

It doesn't matter and they know it. They're in the same situation GM was a few years ago, they can gently caress up all they want and the government will trip over itself to bail them out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Aside from the humane option of not executing anyone not convicted of documented corruption, seems like we could have some fun by letting prisoners choose their own execution method if a doctor is reasonably sure it would be lethal. Want to sit on top of a few tons of ammonium perchlorate as it cooks off? We let them choose the last meal, so why not.

Death by snoo snoo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1750568690804830703?t=ThIKxovSRY-WmRgGhItaHQ&s=19

The jokes would write themselves if it wasn't for the circumstances. But looks like she signed an NDA for $3M, then ol' Vinnie Mac decided to stop paying after $1M and the board started asking questions. Said board mostly stopped after they got to "WHAT THE FU-" and never added the CK? because the company was being sold for bajillionty dollars.

In addition to weird butt stuff Vince looks like poo poo. The too-dark hair dye and embarrassing mustache aren't doing him any favors either.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

The king is dead, long live the Queen.

Freddie's gone too. :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trump is just jealous, he wanted Kelce to be his valentine but mean old Taylor stole him. :sad:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's difficult to put a hard line on it, and it is easily abusable which is why there is a historical precedent for diplomatic immunity. But at least among countries that are nominally allies it seems reasonable to have reciprocal agreements that lets an ambassador that chokes a prostitute face consequences without damaging diplomatic relations.

The country that owns the person accredited to the host county can waive immunity if they want. In practice this almost never happens but the option exists if a person granted immunity does something especially heinous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lmao those data centers maybe have that many people working on them during construction but it's a tiny number of computer janitors and facility maintenance people there on a daily basis once they're up and running.