Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Whoa Israel’s Supreme Court in an 8-7 decision rejected the change that would have limited their ability to check Netanyahu.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/01/01/world/israel-supreme-court-gaza-news?unlocked_article_code=1.KU0.GH7e.ySVOmqQGLb5N&smid=url-share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

People really, really, really need to stop using Elon Musk’s X.com. Even the legitimate public services are getting mired in the unchecked misinformation and other nonsense.

Yeah I understand the NFL sticking around but it’s weird to see leftist influencers not wanting to give up their follower counts still driving traffic. Although not as cringe as Bluesky slacktivist accounts that feel the need to exhaustively repost everything Elon does and think they are “owning” him, when spending hours a day obsessing over someone & giving their opinions a megaphone has oddly not driven him out of society.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

How do the chuds rationalize Trump’s visits to child rape island?

Their personal media bubble either doesn’t mention it or only briefly in passing while not framing it as a serious issue.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Holy cow hope he’s getting the help he needs

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought you couldn’t buy phones in the 50s and could only rent? Or was that more of a 70s thing.

I remember it was a minor thing in the Shining that they had to pay a $30 installation fee & a $90 security deposit for an apartment phone in the 1970s. There’s also a scene where a long distance call goes long and the operator calls the phone booth back & Jack dutifully pays an additional $3.50 instead of walking away, which considering his poverty & mental state seemed like an oddly polite thing to do.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah, about that. This guy was bribing NYPD officers to get handgun permits for the Basij Committees for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice Shomrim, the Ultra-Orthodox "neighborhood patrols" that operate in heavily Hasidic neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

As someone who used to live in Wiliamsburg back when it was cool I can confirm that they're the Jewish Taliban. gently caress em.

lol reformed buddy described them as if Ammon Bundy was a collectivist. Remember how they took a billion tax dollars for their schools & graduates often couldn’t read or write English, and their standardized test failure rate was 100%. Why yes this can cause employment issues.

Gift link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/11/...&smid=url-share

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Christie's dropping out in a few minutes and hosed up on a hot mic:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMaidmentNH/status/1745208067006836774?t=zTnlQMCTmejc-NsUZ3Wy5g&s=19

“She’s gonna get smoked. And you and I both know it, she’s not up to this.”- Christie on a hot mic

He sometimes seem less worse that the others then remembered in 2016 his vow to really start enforcing pot laws again & good riddance.

A.o.D. posted:

Good for him. He has nothing left to prove at the college level. Hopefully he's not retiring because it's either that or die on the job.

Must be nice to be able to live like a king & be immune from state crimes. Guessing the Gonzaga coach wouldn’t have made the news if he hadn’t crossed the Idaho border for his DUI.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Vladimir trying to reprise the Battle of Tsushima on his playlist of Imperial Russia's greatest hits.

Can’t believe only recently did I learn about that. Lost their original fleet so gotta send the Baltic fleet 18,000 miles. Immediately attack neutral British fishing boats in the North Sea in case Japan has teleported torpedo boats across the globe & almost bring them into the war, and now you can’t use their coaling stations on the half year journey. Arrive and lose all 11 battleships so decisively the Japanese put their flagship in a museum.

Also was fascinating how during that war Japan was praised for benevolent treatment of prisoners to the degree they got praise from the Red Cross, bummer that didn’t stick.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I believe it's been calculated that if he'd put all that inherited money into index funds he'd be wealthier than even what he claims today, let alone what he actually has.

Lol there’s a great scene in Silicon Valley where a tech guy who lucked into $1.2 billion dollars early is bragging about making $200 million more since then, and someone does the math that the returns were only about 1% a year & not keeping up with inflation, and he would have made more only putting his money in CDs.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Silicon valley is an amazing show, and extremely accurate the excesses of peak VC tech startups. There were several times they had to tone things down compared to reality because the actual amounts of money being slung around without a care were too unbelievable for TV. If you want to see what VC tech startups look like in 2014-19 to a person who hasn't drunk the koolaid, you have to watch Silicon Valley.

Oh yeah it’s a delight, I remember it had a Spinal Tap like reception where the creators were contacted by real folk in the industry and asked how they knew about a specific ridiculous incident that was lampooned, and the creators hadn’t even known about a real event & were just making a joke.

One of my favorite little jokes is Big Head lucking into a fortune & buying a Bay Area house with a pool then having the pool moved slightly, then moved back as he was wrong about how he thought it would look better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of them its just a handful of security guards, maybe 1-2 computer janitors and an occasional ISP technician.

I love datacenters.

Family friend was a Coast Guard engineer who retired & kept his security clearance so now he keeps an eye on generators for a cell phone company’s data center that is considered critical infrastructure. Great gig he has a nice house.