Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Mid-Atlantic doesn't have much in ways of frequent disasters, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

What a piece of poo poo. God drat.

At least there weren't more deaths. Christ. What a country, when we can say that as a positive when poo poo like this happens.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2024/01/02/michael-avery-killed-in-crash-kodak-center-rochester-ny/72081597007/

3 dead now, driver of the weird vehicle and two passengers of the one he hit, also one pedestrian has life-threatening injuries, and eight less serious ones.
The suspect is apparently from Syracuse, which makes it extra weird --- why drive to the neighboring, not particularly remarkable, city to this sort of thing?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

joat mon posted:

You are 100% correct. Exactly the same stuff, just in a different wrapper

I suspect there are less guns involved, even if they are comparably out of their religion's mainstream. The Taliban probably has worse calendar game, too.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I gotta admit, I'm a little jealous that Hunter Biden's dick pic is going to the Library of Congress.

Has it been entered into the Congressional Record? If so, kinda symbolic?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arrath posted:

Maybe I'm naive but it seems wild that "continued ability to deliver the product they exist sell" isn't incentive enough to pay for maintaining their infrastructure. What about levying punitive penalties when systemic lapses in maintenance lead to service outages or town ravaging wildfires?
Cutting maintenance expenses that will show up as problems twenty years down the line is an easy way of cutting costs, whether to make profits look better for a commercial entity, or to balance the budget on a poorly run public one (hello MBTA).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
...is incompetent representation valid grounds of appeal in a civil case?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

That Works posted:

Concern for me is that the Haley “never Trump” voters just don’t vote instead of voting for Biden and well, are we expecting massive minority and young voter turnout for a guy who should be in a retirement home with a weak economy?

You mean with people mistakenly thinking the economy is weak?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

This seems like a weird interpretation of individual polls not matching up to economic indicators. There’s a lot of ways the economy can be strong while leaving people thinking they’ve still got the short end of the stick.
That's the thing: the polks aren't "economy sucks for me", they are "economy sucks, but I am doing peachy" overall. And this, of course, after a first non-austerity response to a crisis in a long time produced far better results than the austerity responses.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

lightpole posted:

He did this and it was struck down. This is rather telling in how even the good stuff he has tried or even gotten through is largely forgotten, poo poo'd for not going far enough, or just flat out ignored.

And he did a bunch more stuff on student loans afterwards that's more narrow scope but still helps a bunch of people.

Edit: see e.g. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...s-of-borrowers/ --- some of you may know people who may be eligible..

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 24, 2024

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

McNally posted:

Please point to where I said "the economy."

What I actually said was "this cannot be attributed 100% to politics."

I think it would be more accurate to say it can't be attributed 100% to national politics, since it's mostly hyper-local politics that's responsible (and partly lack of state and national correction).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is overly simplistic, but I'm struggling to understand why government built and maintained housing that meets some minimum standard and rents out at some multiple of minimum wage isn't the solution here. Create a minimum affordable standard while still maintaining the private market for everyone else.

Same deal, why isn't there a permanent WPA that provides a decent wage and benefits for anyone who wants to sign up? $20ish/hr for entry level manual, clerical, etc work that's always hiring. If a private company wants to hire successfully, they're going to need to create jobs that are more productive than that basic standard.

Ideally you would want lots of both public and private housing (edit: UK was doing well when it had both, while Soviet Union could never keep up with public construction only even though it's one of the areas where they actually put in an effort).... but public housing costs $$$. Whether getting support for that or for breaking down the broken system where we artificially limit supply to enrich existing home owners would be easier is a subject for debate.

(Also concentration of poverty sucks; percent of affordable set aside for construction is probably better than apartments-just-for-poor-people).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

That Works posted:

Afaik there was the rollout for a 1 time 10k forgiveness which was shot down, did Biden have something on loan forgiveness beyond that and the pause on repayments?

Was there something to try to block interest being charged on federal student loans? Liz Warren had argued for it for years and dropped it before her initial campaign run and I haven't heard of anyone arguing for it since. If you couldn't sell debt forgiveness, even partial, then loan interest on fed loans seems something pretty straightforward that could be negotiated and no one seems to push for anymore.

Partially for people qualified for income-based repayment plan -- as posted earlier:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...s-of-borrowers/
(It's especially impactful if you consider the forgiveness aspects of the plan).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1750512701237797103?t=XRxVW_roeK1OExXGvAvFsQ&s=19

Here's why strong FY24Q1 numbers are bad news for Joe Biden -a POLITICO article, probably

Note the "continued resilience" in the original tweet, too.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

the third and arguably most likely possibility is

the cynical side of me sees the reporting of "conscious for several minutes, shaking and writhing on the gurney" and "authorities insist the execution went to plan" and only concludes that both quotes are essentially correct

Well, they managed to not murder the observers, so it could have gone a lot worse.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1751373046487613819?t=fACD_q30FjUPPt6NvZdBww&s=19

I don't know, remember that time JFK went for a ride in Dallas and had his head ventilated?

No one ever remembers McKinley.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Flikken posted:

Bah, he's buried 5 miles from me.

It's Garfield that doesn't get any love.

True. I did forget him myself.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

FWIW it's only that lovely "OSINT" account tacking suicide on there, the CENTCOM statment they're reposting says "one-way attack UAS"

How lovely? Inventing movements of Russian nuclear weapons, that's how lovely.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

I hear rumors that Zelenskyy has fired Zaluzhny.

You should also have heard official denials from everyone important by now.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Flonase never had any observable benefit for me. It's been about as effective as not sudafed.

I remember at one point the doctor going about some medication to me "It's really good, it has 90% effectiveness rate in studies"... which is a very large portion of people it doesn't do anything for, and makes me wonder about stuff that's less good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

loving of course he's pissed off that someone else exists. The "I'm more popular" thing is pure, distilled narcissism just 150-decibel-screaming in his psyche that someone else is getting attention and he cannot, on a fundamental level of his being, handle that.

He might not even be wrong, which is kinda the trouble. People really shouldn't be too into politicians (or celebrities, really, but that's a lot less harmful!).