Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
For some context about the video of the newscaster yelling out warnings, research about the big earthquake and tsunami in 2011 that killed nearly 20,000 people - mostly through the tsunami - found that the government originally significantly underestimated the strength of the tsunami, which caused lots of people who might have otherwise evacuated to stay in their homes. Ever since then, newscasters have been trained to overemphasize when telling people to evacuate and how dangerous tsunamis are.

E: quoting the video in question since it's a new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Edit: whoops wrong thread

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The news I'm seeing rates it at a 7, the highest level on the scale (link in Japanese). I've had the opportunity to do an earthquake simulator at shindo 7 before, and it's firmly within "you can't stay standing, maybe even if you're holding onto something" territory. It's scary poo poo.

My earthquake warning app shows that it was felt at some shindo level across basically the entire country .

Shindo 1 is barely noticeable even if you're paying attention. Shindo 2 is probably noticeable if you're inside and not preoccupied. Shindo 3 is pretty noticeable in most situations, and things start getting scary at 4 and above.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If I'm reading that map correctly, thats like a quake happening in Montreal and still feeling it in Washington D.C.

That's basically right, but the areas marked as 1 felt the quake only very weakly.

Several of the aftershocks registered as shindo 1 where I live, and even though I was watching a seismic wave map as they passed through my location, I had to concentrate and watch some clothes hanging up to dry inside in order to really tell.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
That's how earthquake early warning systems work. The shaking from an earthquake travels at something like 6km/s, which means there's enough time to push an automated warning to people who are close enough to experience dangerous shaking but far enough away that the earthquake doesn't strike immediately.

The warning app I use living in Japan looks like this when a large enough earthquake happens:

After an alarm, it automatically pulls up a screen with information about the earthquake. It draws some circles expanding away from the epicenter, representing where the earthquake waves (and shaking) have reached. It also displays approximately how long until the earthquake reaches you, and approximately how strong the earthquake is estimated to be at your location.

You can generally expect something like 5 to 30 seconds of warning before an earthquake reaches you. It's enough time to turn off your stove and get away from furniture that might fall on your head, but not enough time to get outside or reach some kind of shelter.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Uh-oh, something's on fire on the runway at Haneda airport now. Looks like an airliner might have crashed. What a start to the year...

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Looks like everyone on the airliner survived, but 5 out of 6 people on the Japan coast guard plane can't be accounted for. Saw it on the TV and I'm cleaning up after dinner with family so I can't be bothered to grab a source, but considering how fast the plane went up in flames that's practically a miracle.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
A day has passed since the earthquake, so the extent of the damage is starting to become apparent. Here's an English article from the NHK with a summary and pictures and videos of the damage.

48 people dead so far, around 200 buildings burned to the ground in a large fire, dozens of structures completely collapsed, and some 30,000 people currently staying at evacuation centers. It looks like the largest tsunami was around 1.2 meters at its highest, and damage was confined to capsizing and beaching boats at harbors.

All in all, that's... a lot less damage and fewer deaths than I was expecting, even the reports are still early. Especially because a major tsunami warning (5+ meters high) was issued, IIRC the first time since the earthquake in 2011. Although, the JMA did mention during a press release that there is a ~10% chance of an earthquake of similar strength happening in the coming weeks.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/EN_NERV/status/1742127012360364163

The coast guard plane involved in the crash was going to deliver supplies to the area affected by yesterday's earthquake.

SlowBloke posted:

The weather agency head honcho came on tv later in the evening to apologize for the unrealistic warning, i was kinda stunned by it.

I saw them apologize for accidentally re-issuing the same shindo 7 earthquake warning some time yesterday, but I must have missed the bit where they apologized for the tsunami warning. That surprises me too; everything I've seen tells me that they lean towards over-emphasizing warnings ever since 2011, which is probably the right move.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 2, 2024

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Interstates in the US being mostly toll free is a blessing that I only realized after I moved to a country where all the highways are toll roads.

Over here in Japan, driving Tokyo to Osaka is about 500km (300 miles) and takes 6 hours, give or take, but it costs 9k yen (~60 USD) just in tolls. Sure, there are plenty of public transport options between cities, but if you want to do something like drive a couple hours away to some tourist attraction for a day trip, those tolls end up being the majority of the cost.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
They do, and it is a good thing, but it still hurts a bit when you just want to take a 90 minute drive away from the city to see the mountains for a day and it ends up costing almost $20 one way.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The New Year's Day earthquake in Japan caused the ground to rise significantly in several places, including one harbor that rose nearly 4 meters in height, completely draining it of water. Here's a short article in English about it.

Land rose across some 85 kilometers of beaches across the Noto Peninsula, adding 250 meters of new beach in some places, totaling around 4.5 square kilometers of new land.

Experts are saying that this may have actually prevented a significant amount of damage that would have otherwise been caused by the tsunami, which in some cases reached a height of five meters. Essentially, the upheaval formed a natural seawall. I can't find a good English article on this, but here's a Japanese article, as well as a Youtube video with some maps, diagrams, and pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzs2uTlehSw

In particular, at 1:15 they show this map of the peninsula where the earthquake occurred; areas in red are where significant ground upheaval happened, and areas in teal are where tsunami damage was recorded.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

So, there actually was a tsunami, but the places it would’ve landed were saved because the ground also rose a few meters and stayed out of the reach of/blocked the waves?

:stonklol:

Yes, pretty much. It looks like ground upheaval may have prevented damage on the northern coast of the peninsula, although there was a lot of damage from the tsunami on the eastern coast of the peninsula. This chart shows GPS measurements for how much the ground moved after the earthquake. The left half shows vertical displacement, and the right half east/west displacement; red means 2+ meters of upheaval on the left map, and dark blue means 2+ meters of westward displacement. Notice how almost the entire northern coast shows some upheaval, and compare that to the map in my earlier post that shows where tsunami damage was recorded.

I made a post a few days after the earthquake stating that there didn't seem to be much damage, but it looks like I spoke too soon. It wasn't like the far-reaching tsunami from 2011 that obliterated entire towns, at least - the damage was mostly limited to within a few hundred meters from the coast. The fault that caused the earthquake and tsunami was also very close to the coast, and in some cases the tsunami reached the shore less than a minute after the earthquake started. The tsunami warning was issued about 5 minutes after the earthquake, so it had likely already reached land before some people had a chance to evacuate. As of this post, the death toll is up to 220 people and 23 people missing.

An example of the damage caused by the tsunami:

https://i.imgur.com/zIm9JLn.png

Image not embedded in case people don't want to see a bunch of destroyed houses.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I read Snow Crash as a teenager in highschool and remember loving it. I barely remember anything about the book, but from the descriptions here I'm not surprised teenager me thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The names of the 3 people killed in the drone attack on Sunday have been released, along with some more details about the attack.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68133115

BBC posted:

The US has blamed Iranian-backed groups and the Pentagon said it carried the "footprints" of Kataib Hezbollah.

The Pentagon also reiterated the US does not want a war with Iran.

"We don't seek war, but we will take action, and respond to attacks on our forces," said Pentagon spokesperson Sabrina Singh.

CBS News, the BBC's US partner, said it was told by a US official that the drone used in the attack appeared to be Iranian-made.

The official indicated it was a "type of Shahed drone," which is a one-way attack drone Iran has been providing to Russia.

[...]

Features of an air defence system were turned off at Tower 22 at the time of the attack, US officials told CBS News, because the enemy drone arrived at the same time as a returning US drone.

They added that troops at the air base were still in their sleeping quarters when the drone struck - with little to no warning.

Looks like it's possible the attackers were familiar with how the air defense on the base worked. Is that something someone could figure out just by observing the base from a distance, or is there a chance they had some kind of intelligence? Maybe sigint from Iran?