Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

happy new years, i guess. get well soon japan :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Edge also doesn't do nearly as much shady poo poo with your data as Chrome does. Of course, your data is getting scoped regardless of what you do, but Microsoft is slightly more trustworthy about it because they don't desperately need the money like Google does.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it's almost as if slacktivism was a term invented by a purity testing rear end in a top hat who wanted to feel superior to people that weren't "doing enough"

not everyone is capable of contributing on the same level and every bit helps. talking down to folks who are doing as much as they can handle sucks poo poo

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I know it's usually used to mean "feels good but accomplishes nothing because no effort" but I didn't intend for it to be a negative in my post. I think it (and the rally registration thing mentioned above also) show that there are, in fact, some strategies of effective action in the modern age that can be taken without un-assing your computer chair. "Slacktivism" feels like a good word to use for it.

If I'm alone in thinking that it's not always an insult then that's fine. I don't intend to run a "taking the word back" campaign or anything like that.

nah i wasn't aiming at you, don't sweat it. i'm just a bitter cripple who's tired of being shamed for not "doing more" when "doing more" would injure or kill me