Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Is this a date error repost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That an excellent color ramp.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Here we had the 2nd warmest year on record, the fewest days below freezing and the most days above 80F (26.7C).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
ICYMI, in Donnie Goodbrains news
loving magnets, etc etc

quote:

I could tell you about aircraft carriers, where they use electric catapults. They couldn’t go to the steam, which works better for about 1/100th the price, you know? The electric catapult, you know that story? I could tell you about the elevators on a tremendous carrier, the Gerald Ford, and they decided not to use hydraulic like the John Deere tractor, they decided to use magnets, “we’re gonna use magnets!” to lift up the elevators with seven planes. We need them fast, these massive elevators. They used magnets, they wanted to try it for the first time. This was a ship that was supposed to cost 2.5 billion, it cost 19 billion and didn’t work, and still doesn’t work right.

They had a $900 million cost over on these stupid electric catapults that didn’t work. They had almost a billion dollar cost over on the magnetic elevators. Think of it, magnets. Now all I know about magnets is this, give me a glass of water, let me drop it on the magnets, that’s the end of the magnets. Why didn’t they use John Deere? Why didn’t they bring in the John Deere people? Do you like John Deere? I like John Deere.

This, of course, will be ignored because the media has assigned "old and senile" as Biden's characteristic and we can't have two opposing candidates sharing any attributes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I wonder what type of missile.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pseudosavior posted:

It amazes me that we spend $800+ billion a year on 'defense', but our actual equipment is just as ancient, grizzled, and broken-down as our politicians are.

Because defense spending is a political act not a military act.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

good thing the DNC isn't really a functional thing that exists outside of an extension of the Biden campaign

if you're going to do the doomer thing, please doomer correctly

Edit: mainly this is my frustration with the concept of the DNC as this all-powerful thing when it's loving nothing

It's been irritating ever since the internet left has made "the DNC" this all powerful yet inept cabal controlling the destruction of Bernie Sanders.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CBJSprague24 posted:

Lose, and he kicks and screams and gets a bunch more illiterate, uneducated rednecks thrown in prison for continuing to pout that he's a loser.

How is that not a good option

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s aged like a fine 15 year old Brie. 15 years, as in how old YT is while the author openly muses about her loving the late 30’s Hiro Protagonist.

It’s a mess of a book. But it also contains certain nerd shibboleths and touchstones that make it hard to just outright 1:1 dismiss entirely.

Google Earth?
Central Intelligence Corporations “Earth”
The Metaverse?
The literal loving metaverse.
Terminal Capitalism?
The main character is a Hacker that does literally no hacking/Pizza delivery driver with no car. If that’s not prescient it’s close enough to our lived reality to seem both more and less insane than this did in 1992.

Neuromancer > Snow Crash all day every day, but you can’t completely ignore snow crash. You don’t have to like it, but it’s quickly becoming Old Testament poo poo for nerds of a certain age and almost every billionaire in America is a nerd.

A very awfully written, very frozen in time satire that billionaire doom cultist nerds whack it to.

Like I said, it’s not everything, but it’s not nothing.

I agree, however

Cryptonomicon is actually his favorite book of mine.

So yeah on the one hand there’s cryptonomicon, on all the other hands is Elon Musk.

I stopped reading it 2/3 of the way through when I was tired of waiting for it to get good and go somewhere. Neal Stephenson wanted so badly to be a cross between William Gibson and Thomas Pynchon without having the slightest idea of why either one of them was good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

You know that circumstance when someone's car is clearly hosed up, but they don't know it, and you have to drive past them really fast and start waving for them to pull over?

Don't think you can do that here without a fighter jet.

https://twitter.com/petemuntean/status/1748355382303453692?t=U_Y7gT-_ZdbukdJJVoHTyg&s=19

Atlas was the carrier who contracted for the rotator which got me to my deployment two weeks late because their planes kept catching fire.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

stealie72 posted:

Did any serious person not think that's exactly what was going to happen?

I thought Governor Go-Go Boot would hold on for longer.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's kind of wild that he watched Trump glitch out last night and thought 'well poo poo that guy's unbeatable.'

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

OddObserver posted:

No one ever remembers McKinley.

Was that really unfair?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
When I got my wisdom teeth chiseled out, I got the opioids and immediately started projectile vomiting. When I had shoulder surgery, I got the opioids and immediately started projectile vomiting. I actually consider myself lucky in that way now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The only thing I ever ask for after the highly unpleasant opioid experience (seriously, vomiting right after a wisdom tooth removal made for a really bad day) is the 800mg ibuprofen. It worked fine after the shoulder surgery.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

not caring here posted:

Yeah, if the spicy stuff works for you and you don't have any addiction problems, it's silly not to keep the spares around. hosed up tooth, broken bone, can't immediately get to a doctor? Oh yes please, mister oxy, I would like to not drive myself mad with pain and possibly make my condition worse.

Bad idea. Opioids are one of the drugs that can be a real problem after the expiration date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Making it to CIWS range with destroyer is a little uncomfortable.