Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Platystemon posted:

This is why acoustic couplers were a thing. It was forbidden to electrically connect third party devices to the Bell network.

The irony I felt when I finally got an Information Society CD in the late 1990s and there were no more acoustic couplers out there. I had to play the data track into my digital voicemail and then program my modem to call my voicemail and play back the message to the modem in order to decode it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bird food bathtub posted:

There will probably be a mass relocation out of Florida at some point. Because people gonna people though, it will be a chaotic humanitarian clusterfuck of individuals trying not to die in the aftermath of a monster hurricane while the state goes bankrupt from it's half-baked insurance scheme now that all the major players are pulling out.

Based on the response to Katrina, I am inclined to use the words "mass migration" rather than "mass relocation". Relocations require planning and are very expensive, while letting people just die is cheap. At some point the actuarial cost of saving anyone will rise too high and they'll just get written off. You'll see lots of refugees but they won't have anywhere to relocate to unless they have enough money or perhaps family willing to take them in. One of my long-range fears is that as the climate crisis accelerates, you'll see these internal refugee issues harden the borders between states, leading to interstate conflict, jurisdictional disputes, further insurrection, and so on down the line until we have Civil War 2 or end up completely Balkanized or both.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Search your feelings, you know the answer already.

No. Border Patrol has to detain any "illegals" they catch on our side of the border, and then process them to see if they either get deported, are wanted by another agency, or eligible to be released with a immigration court date.

Chuds and TX gov are stupid as gently caress though so they see/frame this as "Biden just letting everyone in", when the reality is there is a process and you can't just boot everyone back across the border the moment you find them.

The USCBP union loves it!

https://x.com/BillMelugin_/status/1745630896202424469?s=20

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 12, 2024

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/CENTCOM/status/1746705110401695779?s=20

delusional to try and take on a DDG in a task force with a lone anti-ship cruise missile

they did it for social media cred

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Elviscat posted:

We've been dealing with the coldest temperatures our region's seen in 70 odd years, our local utility asked people to turn their thermostats down a bit, and the chuds are losing their minds at the prospect of having to put a sweater on. Our local Sinclair owned fuckstick media has been eagerly egging them on, blaming it on our State's tiny proportion of wind power. It's really frustrating.

The utility even has a good reason for it, PSE said it was because major NG storage facility in eastern WA had rats in their fiber closet or something and they had to revert to manual operations until it's fixed.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm sure India wouldn't take advantage of this distraction at all

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Looks like a homebuilt. Hope the pilot is OK.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i knew a guy in college who ordered a kilogram of pharmaceutical grade, powder-form DXM from a chemical supply company and proceeded to, uh, use it all in the course of a year. At one point he disappeared for two weeks and we thought he was dead, but then he turned up at brunch one day and said he thought he'd taken a greyhound to berkley and back based on the tickets he found in his backpack, but couldn't actually remember any of it. Once he went through that claimed it cured his schizophrenia. Quit doing drugs, went straightedge and became an aerospace engineer.

Come to think of it, he might be working at Boeing now :laffo:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do dxm, become an engineer. God I'm glad I quit doing that poo poo

Yeah you'll be shocked to hear he changed his major from... chemistry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

A.o.D. posted:

Slacktivism has such a negative connotation with regard to effectiveness, I kind of hate to see it applied here. I mean, it wasn't necessarily high effort, but making far right messaging pipelines useless is, in my mind a worthwhile effort. Then again, it is low effort on the part of a community, I guess I'm just shaking my fist at clouds about this.

It's almost as if struggle is never fought in only one theater, and people struggle to grasp the concept of any form of activism that is not their own