Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If northern europe had those kind of quakes, the only history we would have left would be rock paintings

Keep strong Japan goons

Any seismic event over 5 richter meant the town was razed to the ground here in Italy. Still holds true, even in areas after reconstruction from quakes with anti seismic precautions. This quake is/was 7 richter.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Spoggerific posted:

Especially because a major tsunami warning (5+ meters high) was issued, IIRC the first time since the earthquake in 2011.

The weather agency head honcho came on tv later in the evening to apologize for the unrealistic warning, i was kinda stunned by it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

pseudosavior posted:

I man, I would rather apologize for making too big a warning than stand in the same spot apologizing for all the dead I didn't save.

I was stunned cause I live in a country that considered acceptable to put seismologists at trial because judges believed they didn't made enough of a point of the risk of a quake. I am mad envious of that kind of integrity shown by the Japanese rep instead of just going "shucks" as I would expect from my government appointed officials after telling wrong data on tv.

Spoggerific posted:

That surprises me too; everything I've seen tells me that they lean towards over-emphasizing warnings ever since 2011, which is probably the right move.

Even a receptive crowd might start dismissing an alert if they believed it might be overinflated compared to reality, it's better to keep the message accurate to avoid a "cry wolf" scenario.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 2, 2024

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
eck, double posting, sorry

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is it even possible to have an early warning system that doesn't create thousands of people who decide to ride it out every time?

When we had those massive floods this year, the government didn't use the new Japan-like warning system IT-ALERT officially because it was still in test but unofficially because the biggest hit on socials and search engine after the first test was "how to turn IT-ALERT off". If an IT-ALERT would go off right now, I would expect 90% of people of just closing the notification without looking at it.