Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
3M are such dirtbags... intentionally shipped out known-faulty earplugs that I have service-connected tinnitus from (10%), and hearing loss (though rated at 0%), and the most they're offering is $10k minus 40% lawyer fees and 9% court admin fees.

So $5100 in pocket for a lifetime of screeching and half-deafness I guess. To get any more compensation, their criteria is you have to have been constantly complaining to the VA and seeking treatment for tinnitus (what the hell would the treatment even be?!) in the first 2 years of leaving the service. So just about no one at all would qualify.

There's an option to opt-out of the settlement and sue 3M directly, but my firm sounds super-not-into-it and said I could feel free to switch to a lawyer that's more interested. They think in all likelihood I'd get less than the $5100 if I spent years building a case and getting expert witnesses. Maybe, or maybe they just want their cut fast and easy.

Is anyone else gonna tell 3M where they can stick it? It's such an insulting amount that I'd rather risk it for a small chance at them getting an actual comeuppance. Is there any firm that's less sheepish about taking 3M on directly? Even my firm said all their other vet clients are pissed. But there's nowhere to strategize or anything, just the... less coherent vets on Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eason the Fifth posted:

Smartest thing I ever did in recruit training was saving the pain pills from getting my wisdom teeth out for the Crucible :dukedog:

They really shouldn't give those out for wisdom teeth. For someone who's never done opiates it's the first "chasing the dragon" experience.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

For a lot of people, it would be easier to get heroin* on the street than it would be to get a doc to prescribe opiates for their acute pain.

*Actually fentanyl

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying getting someone who's been otherwise straightedge to be high off their rear end in bootcamp is not a good idea; they're going to remember it.

The reason you can't get a doc to prescribe opiates now, is because they caused an abuse epidemic by hanging them out like candy in the past two decades.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Crab Dad posted:

It's fine they dont give you that much. I had mine yanked out 20 years before going to boot so I was nursing all the guys who got theirs ripped out. Nobody was trading or giving away what few pills they had and nobody got extra from medical. Really not that big of deal.

We literally just had someone say they pocketed some to abuse later :cmon:

I mean good for them but I think the Navy should just give out Vitamin M like they do for everything else.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eason the Fifth posted:

I didn't say that at all. I saved a few to help me with the brutal pain in my legs and back during the Parris Island crucible. I didn't graduate and immediately go to Jacksonville looking for more or anything.

I'm going to be pedantic. The word abuse means to misuse or improperly use something: "ab-use". They prescribed them for your pain while recovering for a few days from the tooth extraction, not for you to save and decide on your own when to use them later and unsupervised. You didn't go looking for more but a different type of person might. You were also affected by them at a time when the instructors would not have expected it. I'm glad it worked out.

The reason I brought it up is because they prescribed them to me too for the same thing, and they absolutely should not have. That's as far as I want to get into my own experience with it. They shouldn't be giving codeine for tooth extraction in basic, in my opinion. Your anecdote supports my argument, as I see it, because if some poo poo went down it would have been their fault for creating the opportunity.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eason the Fifth posted:

Smartest thing I ever did in recruit training was abuse prescribed opiates :dukedog:

See that's fine! Just don't blow smoke up my rear end, jeez.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eason the Fifth posted:

I also think calling my use case "abuse" does a disservice to people who are actually addicted and abuse medication. You alluded to a possible history of abuse and I absolutely do not want to discount your experience, but I do think there is a difference in the definition of those two words.

All that said, I certainly agree with you on a few points: narcotics in basic training is possibly bad news for young people, and potentially much worse news when mixed with a live fire, and if my drill instructors had found out I was taking Vicodin to make the crucible a much less lovely experience they would've smoked my rear end like a pork loin.

Like you said, you didn't just take it later but you took it at not a particularly safe time, knew you'd be turbofucked if caught on it, and I picked up on that. I didn't think to use the term "misuse", seeing it even now seems a bit euphemistic. I think it would be more of a disservice to be euphemistic towards a possible addict, than overly strict with someone who isn't, if I was to err one way of the other.

Case in point a few years back in the SA opiate thread there was a goon who was swearing that they weren't an addict, but they got some heroin from a friend and stashed it "just in case". Everyone was like "what do you mean 'just in case', what the gently caress would the case be?!", and the OP kept doubling down and downplaying it. It did not go OP's way.

Maybe I am a pearl clutcher but I've seen more than enough to be mega leery about handing that stuff out. I'll leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't even know how to respond anymore

"No YOU shut the gently caress up dad!"