Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
This year is going to be a poo poo show and I'm not looking forward to it. I have the comic in my head where 2023 is some mutant white creature swinging a club and 2024 is in the background as a giant monster creature all "Oh is that all you got?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh boy let's roll the "Who wants to gently caress everything up and destabilize it all enough to do this?" dice. There's a lot of contenders!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Crab Dad posted:

Bolton needs to lead the charge into Iran.

I swear this walrus-in-a-suit spent his entire, comically brief, time in the Trump administration stroking a half-chub about the idea of going to war with Iran.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is. He can’t appeal every interlocutory decision from a criminal trial. Gag orders (because they’re injunctive in nature) and stuff like immunity are the only things he can appeal right now. The rest must way until post-judgment.

I think a better phrasing would be "The court won't accept any appeals other than..." because this is Trump. Pretty sure before this is done he's going to file an appeal for the color of fringe on the flags. He *can* do whatever the gently caress he wants and probably will because his narcissism leaves him with a very tenuous attachment to reality, then it's on every one else to deny those actions.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

stealie72 posted:

I feel this. My wife and I are making what I would have considered an extremely comfortable household income for most of my life, and probably 20% more than we made when we first moved into our current house 8 years ago.

But we both feel broker than we did 5 years ago because everything has gotten so goddam expensive. Mind you, it's not "we need to eat rice instead of meat" broke, but its still "where did all our money go" at the end of each month. (And we are not millennials so it's not the avocado toast.)

That feeling is not helped by her being in healthcare (salary, not hourly) and working her rear end off as a load bearing human in a collapsing system where it doesn't matter if she's already on hour 12 of her 10 hour day, if she doesn't review the patient's labs before she goes home he may die since there's nobody else there to review them. She's definitely said that despite making more than she did 5 years ago, the dollar per effort ratio feels shittier.

So basically, the numbers can say what they say, but the vibe doesn't feel that way.

As someone who is measurably better off with my most recent job change even counting for inflation and cost of living and all of that, I still don't enjoy the current "economy" because I am one bad diagnosis away from bankruptcy and losing everything for both myself and my family. What is there to feel "good" about when it can all vanish up some healthcare CEO billionaire's coked-out nostril tomorrow? There's nothing out there for me besides what I have right now and family to fall back on.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Happy Insurrection Day you filthy animals.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Jesus christ, loose bolts? I wasn't even aviation mechanics rated, I worked on some stuff inside the plane, and they would have fist-hosed us with sandpaper if we didn't sign eldritch pacts with our souls stating we torqued every single last bolt, screw, and fastening. Of which every single last one of them for the entire airframe was on a huge rear end check list that had to be taken step-by-step, in order, one at a time, with a buddy system, both of us signing off on it. Then every single last tool that was even allowed to be in the building had to be returned to it's designated, serialized place on a wall that had black foam cutouts over a red spray-painted board backing.

That wasn't even working on the loving airframe!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Lol "treatment". I pursued VA treatment for tinnitus. Hearing test, consultation, the whole shebang. The treatment was a piece of paper telling me about fans or white noise generators at night to fall asleep.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Soylent Pudding posted:

I feel like the judge going "that's nice, time for lunch" is probably far more infuriating to Trump than yelling back at him.

Ignoring his blithering bullshit and addressing his lawyer instead of him either has or shortly will send him into a full blown, nuclear-powered-volcano narcissistic rage fit. We probably won't see anything more than the usual dsmentia-brain diarrhea on social media from it when it happens behind closed doors but Trump is gonna flip his loving poo poo at max volume over that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There will probably be a mass relocation out of Florida at some point. Because people gonna people though, it will be a chaotic humanitarian clusterfuck of individuals trying not to die in the aftermath of a monster hurricane while the state goes bankrupt from it's half-baked insurance scheme now that all the major players are pulling out.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Comedy option, Biden should call up the Texas national guard. Turns out they all need to be deployed to Alaska for a few months on an emergency basis.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Are positive that isn’t ketchup? I’m only half joking

Some other pictures of it that I've seen make it look like it's whatever the gently caress cream he smears on his face to achieve the inhuman skin tone he has. Like the bottle leaked on his hand or something.

Still pretty OK with the idea of his brain rotting to untreated syphilis but I don't think this is it unfortunately.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I am exactly one of those "My situation is good but I feel the 'economy' is hosed" people and my reasoning for that is because I live my life one wrong car turn or cancer diagnosis or blood vessel away from losing everything I have to bankruptcy and homelessness for my family with absolutely no form of safety net to catch us the picosecond I am no longer a profit-making endeavor for my employer. How the gently caress does me making an above average salary and having some money in the bank translate to a good situation when it can all completely evaporate with no hope for recovery based on nothing I did or choices I made? It's a better situation than I've had in the past, but that is a long goddamn way from good.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Midjack posted:

It doesn't matter and they know it. They're in the same situation GM was a few years ago, they can gently caress up all they want and the government will trip over itself to bail them out.

Number go up? Number go up!

If they have to make a few payments for planeloads of dead people then whatever, it's not people they care about and the numbers show which is more profitable.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Isn’t the anxiety and pain from asphyxiation caused by the buildup from carbon dioxide in the bloodstream, not the lack of oxygen itself?

I’m not in favor of the death penalty at all but I think I’d pick slowly passing out without pain over being a human guinea pig for whatever drug cocktail isn’t yet banned for sale by pharmaceutical companies.

Mooooooostly, yes. Autonomic nerve system sensors, generally speaking, don't respond to the lack of oxygen as you would think. For the majority of the population we respond much more strongly to the increase in blood acidity of the presence of excess carbon dioxide. In theory for the majority of the population this means that, yeah, blast full nitrogen in and let them expel carbon dioxide with normal breathing and they'll never have any kind of reaction.

HOWEVER.

If you're in a partially compromised condition for a long term your body gets used to that condition and the response to it. Think being in the room with a bad smell, and then eventually just not smelling it or at least not as much. Someone new to the room will go all "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT" and you're all "I dunno, not bad, just a little bit of carbon dioxide in the blood stream whatever you get used to it." For this portion of the population the hypoxic drive takes over and has a much stronger reaction. For the people in that condition, they WILL react to the lack of oxygen in the blood using the 'secondary', so to speak, system.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

Actually that's the one that will have you panicking inside cuz your body doesn't detect oxygen in the atmosphere, it detects CO2 buildup in the lungs.

:sigh:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Stravag posted:

This all tracks from what they put in the btb series about vince

It's a loving wild series.

"Oh my god he's covering up murder?"

"No, murderS. We're not even done yet it gets worse. And we couldn't fit it all in these episodes either, there's more."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sure Meemaw and Papaw are gonna fill up Donnie's coffers to fight the woke or whatever, but every dollar he hoovers up is that much less that can go to the rest of the Republican party. They've already had multiple state parties coming up totally broke because Donnie is soaking up every dollar they used to get by being the chief grifter of the party. At least now that money goes to a real person instead of a fascist political party or a narcissistic conman.

Even with all those donations I don't think he's financially stable. He's been leveraged to the tits for decades and only survived by laundering Russian money then lucking into the presidency so he can grift one half of the country. A good solid whack like this at the foundation of his financial empire is gonna make a whole bunch of other stuff start going wobbly further up the tower and it's not done yet.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1751373046487613819?t=fACD_q30FjUPPt6NvZdBww&s=19

I don't know, remember that time JFK went for a ride in Dallas and had his head ventilated?

Well tell ya what, when someone Lincoln/JFK's him let's see how it shakes out in the history books which one is labeled as treated worse. It's an experiment I'm willing to try out.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't feel any pain when I'm on opioids after surgeries because all I do is sleep, constantly, until they're out of my system. Not a lot of fun and I use them as little as possible even when I was cut open, re-arranged and bolted/screwed back in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

When I had kidney stones, I got zero euphoria out of the morphine and dilaudid, but it sure did help with the screaming.

I didn't really understand how opiate addiction starts until another time I got the kinda-sorta opioid tramadol. When that poo poo kicked in, it hit hard. Then the tolerance started and a few days later, the kick disappeared. Rapidly understood how people chased that high and wanted off the poo poo as soon as possible. The opioid shits helped that too.

Meanwhile, Donnie and his bunch don't really realize the bear that they're poking:

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1752402535925653869?t=EeSJ-wZeaWvfkX02TfsQ5Q&s=19

loving of course he's pissed off that someone else exists. The "I'm more popular" thing is pure, distilled narcissism just 150-decibel-screaming in his psyche that someone else is getting attention and he cannot, on a fundamental level of his being, handle that.