Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Climate change is going to come down on our heads like a ten ton anvil, isn't it? I just hope Antarctica stays un-melted for long enough for me to move the hell away from the coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That Works posted:

Yeah financially we are in good shape at home but could not really afford to move and buy a home anywhere close to the quality of the one we bought only 5 years ago.

People who didn't buy in a couple years back are pretty hosed in terms of home ownership and rents have only skyrocketed here in New England. That and the general quality of almost everything is palpably worse across the board.I can confidently say we are paying a lot more for a lot less (both quantity and quality) vs just 4-5 years prior.

I'm in the Providence area and I'm bracing for what will almost certainly be a major rent hike this year, which would push our rent from "high, but not unaffordable" firmly into "unaffordable". Doesn't help that rents have been rising faster in RI than literally anywhere else in the country. This is going to doubly suck because the place we have now is super conveniently located for both me and my wife, and I'm really not in the mood to have to move to some bargain basement shithole out in the boonies just so I can afford to stay alive.

I was hoping to buy a place one of these days but that prospect feels more distant than ever right about now.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I like this sci-fi derail. I would recommend Light by M. John Harrison, which is probably my favorite book. It reads like it was written by surrealist who got tired of painting melting clocks and decided to have a go at bleak as hell hard sci-fi instead.

Arrath posted:

I finished Absolution Gap last week and man that ending felt weak as hell imo.

Absolution Gap gets a lot of flak, and sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few people who enjoyed that book. I thought the latest book in that arc (Inhibitor Phase) fizzled out way worse at the end.

I still don't think I've come across a better spaceship name than Nostalgia for Infinity.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Sounds like they simply observed the US base from a distance and took notes as to when drones were being launched and retrieved, and sent up a Shahed to follow the yankee drone in when it was due back.