Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

uh if I wasn't using ex dot com then I wouldn't have learned about this great, life changing product https://twitter.com/BateWorld/status/1716938029783552507

Way less offensive than Musk's preferred content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

How do the chuds rationalize Trump’s visits to child rape island?

They'll never hear about it. You need to understand how insulated their information feed is. I work with one, and he claims to have never heard about Trump's bankruptcies, sexual assaults, Ukrainian extortion attempts, or any of his other many misdeeds. It simply doesn't happen in their world, and if it somehow sneaks in, its fake news created by the nebulous forces out to get them, personally.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

Feels like it could be a Moscow apartment bombing situation, Khameini stepped in it big time the other day by flirting with calling himself a prophet, plus elections are coming up.

https://www.iranintl.com/en/202401029230

this is a saudi propaganda channel that broadcasts into iran but it's influential there

I have two questions. Is declaring yourself a prophet heresy in Shia Islam? Is heresy even a thing in Shia Islam?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's incredible when the loving USA has a more progressive tax system than my country

It's not the USA, just specific states. My state, Louisiana, also has a homestead exemption on your primary residence. Many states do not.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The great plains lions, direwolves, cave bears, mammoths, and giant sloths are all going :hmmyes: right now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

pmchem posted:

i mean, there's this example that was critical to the success of MLK's civil rights movement?

https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/selma-montgomery-march
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_to_Montgomery_marches

granted they did get court permits

And they did have a foe they were marching against who was actively trying to stop them. It's not similar at all, except for both involving a lot of people on a public road.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Can Germany grow enough calories to feed it's populace without imports? That is to say, do they have enough farm capacity to meet the daily caloric needs of the population e without importing food. This doesn't take into account crop variety or meat vs produce balance, just whether or not they can avoid starvation solely on domestic production. I recall this was an issue towards the end of WWI, but I don't have any inkling of what the current situation is.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

I learned today that one of my German colleagues just bought a house in Poland and had to stop myself from making a Lebensraum joke.
Pretend I made a sparkling noun joke about lebensraum here.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Protests need to be just one portion of a comprehensive political action agenda. Just showing up and shouting on its own is meaningless, because these days your opposition has better press than you.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Uh...

Cool cool

There are words that are identifiably English in there, but I don't think I comprehend any of it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

joat mon posted:

Bais Medrash = study hall
meshichist = one of the camps, the other are the anti-meshivists - broadly, the split is over whether the dead cult leader is The Messiah or not
bochrim = young, unmarried male, esp. a yeshiva student
yeshiva = religious school
Lubavitcher = another word for Chabadism
Makom Kadosh = sacred place

This is really loving helpful but.. and I'm probably way off base here, should I be getting a Taliban vibe from this, be cause that's kind of what's happening in my head.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

joat mon posted:

:mcnally:

I think it's a fight for control of the building between the two camps

You are 100% correct. Exactly the same stuff, just in a different wrapper

I didn't want to be right :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Itchy_Grundle posted:

The thing is that at least in New York these communities usually vote as a block and wield a great deal of political power. It's not just in NYC, but in several towns in the outlying suburbs.

With enough mass and motivation, you can get one of your own in office, which is even better than simply having a lot of influence over a candidate.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
An unintended candid moment, but unless I'm really missing something, it's not all that scandalous.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Good for him. He has nothing left to prove at the college level. Hopefully he's not retiring because it's either that or die on the job.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

He sometimes seem less worse that the others then remembered in 2016 his vow to really start enforcing pot laws again & good riddance.

Must be nice to be able to live like a king & be immune from state crimes. Guessing the Gonzaga coach wouldn’t have made the news if he hadn’t crossed the Idaho border for his DUI.

He's a successful head coach. Sociopathy seems to be a requirement.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Wouldn't getting called up for federal service actually be better for them? I thought I remembered hearing that the Guard gets hosed over in a bunch of ways when on state duty, especially in Texas where Abbot's been calling them up for extra long extended border duty.

It would. If they get called up their pay and supply situation falls under the DoD, not the State of Texas, and the abuses they've previously suffered on earlier Texas border call-ups likely would no longer be plaguing them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flikken posted:

On one hand yes, better bennies. On the other hand they didn't enlist to be full time and have other lives. So its tremendously unfair to them to be jerked around in a pissing match between the state and fed governments

One thing that came out of the previous state border call-ups is that their lives were just as disrupted as if they were subject to a federal call up. Even though they were closer to home, they were still sick at their assigned areas.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 13, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flikken posted:

I'm advocating for them to be left the gently caress alone.

Edit: somehow get the Pentagon to enforce some sort of dwell time rules onto the states.

No argument there. I was just trying to point out that a Federal call up wouldn't necessarily be worse than a state one, especially given the poo poo show the earlier border deployments turned out to be.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

Open up the borders entirely. Let people come and go as they please.

I'm not quite there. I think there needs to be some vetting in terms of background checks, and customs control is also necessary, but I do believe that the bar anyone has to clear to get permanent entry to the country is to say "yes" to the question "Do you want to become an American?"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Note that since it’s a state wide deployment odds are that Alaska is effectively as far from home as the border is for many. It’s really hard to undersell how loving big Texas is.

The character of your call up matters, too. If you're effectively on lock down and you don't have any access to personal communication devices, it doesn't matter if you're on duty down the street from where you live or on Phobos. You won't have access to civilian amenities or the ability to communicate with loved ones.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AK still wins if we skip Canada.

I don't think you can drive 1,000 miles point to point in any other state.

Smith River CA to Winterhaven CA is just over 1k. But that really is just about it for the rest of the US.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This is some real "why didn't he just shoot the gun out of his hands" bullshit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
wrong thread.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I certainly didn't have Iran-Pakistan on the divining board

You know who did? Max Brooks!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I was just thinking that.

At least the Iranians don’t have nukes that we know of yet :tinfoil:.

His reasoning was pretty sound, if I recall. It involved border instability and the two nations just assuming that their interests were somewhat aligned so they didn't have an effective de-escalation mechanism in place, so poo poo got rapidly out of hand before anyone understood what was happening

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

finally found the sleepy Joe Biden that everyone's always talking about on my teevee

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1749432442258083882?t=AbHwlsnyCPeUZLpSVK6z1Q&s=19

That has to be a felony, right?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Platystemon posted:

It’s not that a whole lot changed in those seven minutes, it’s that fifty‐four to forty‐four, while comfortable for Mr. Trump, is not a blowout.

And it's believed that a significant percentage of those that voted for Haley would not under any circumstance vote for Trump as the party nominee, and that a non-trivial number would cross party lines to vote against him. If this were a normal candidate in a normal primary, Trump's numbers would be great, but in context, this represents a problem for his chances at winning the general election. He should still carry any deep red state, but his odds of winning any contested state should be pretty bad.

at least that's what I tell myself so that I don't get my middle name spoken aloud on national news. Watch him make an rear end of everyone just like he did in 2016.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That Works posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/superme-court-alabama-proceed-nitrogen-gas-execution-1234953782/

Bolding mine. I'd likely lose my job if we used N2 gas to euthanize lab animals in our research. This is disgusting.

Every confined space safety class I have ever taken has emphasized that the real danger of N2 asphyxiation is that you're dead before you know you're in trouble. Your body doesn't have a built in response to that situation.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

vuk83 posted:

Wealth is not about the amount of dollars in the bank/index fund/stocks etc.

It’s about how you can influence the world, and being a real estate tycoon gets you some measure of influence versus just being passively wealthy.

You're not really rich until you own a senator.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's not really the money you give to the campaign, it's the "jobs" you give to family members, the free rides on luxury jets and stays at exotic locations, the gifts you slide under the table. Just on the ledger Senators look cheap, but the real going rate is immense .

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Space Opera posted:

Before ruining your kidneys/liver, that amount of nsaid is going to send you straight to ulcer city in a single day, jesus christ.

For anyone curious...Guaifenesin (Mucinex) thins muscus secretions, and according to a medically trained relative of mine, it's impossible to OD. Dextromethorphan (DX in Mucinex DX) is a cough suppressant, and any Sudafed that isn't behind the counter is effectively a sugar pill. Interestingly I've heard some docs recommending Flonase for sinus congestion caused by covid (which should work pretty well for colds too) as it's a very localized steroid and like 80% of congestion is inflammation. And unlike Afrin, you can use it for several weeks without rebound.

Flonase never had any observable benefit for me. It's been about as effective as not sudafed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
When I got had shoulder surgery they prescribed me some stuff and all it did was make me go unpleasantly out of body and gave me some mild hallucinations. The very next day I asked for some thing weaker and didn't even finish the prescription. I just do not get along with opiates. Not my sister in law, however, she asked me for any extras I had left over.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Melthir posted:

A Prince already exists and his reign was purple. Find a different color.

The king is dead, long live the Queen.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The Kpop fans ran a surprisingly effective slacktivism campaign a few years ago jamming the hashtags that the right-wing media machine kept trying to make go viral. I wouldn't be shocked to see that happen again.

Slacktivism has such a negative connotation with regard to effectiveness, I kind of hate to see it applied here. I mean, it wasn't necessarily high effort, but making far right messaging pipelines useless is, in my mind a worthwhile effort. Then again, it is low effort on the part of a community, I guess I'm just shaking my fist at clouds about this.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The only unambiguously true things that can be said about Trump and the current state of things is that he made the internal Republican processes revolve around him, and that he encouraged people to be their worst selves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

It's February and time to be gay and do crimes

except being gay and loving in a Senate hearing room is legal so just be gay

https://twitter.com/bresreports/status/1753066641519468648?t=jUFZeHTVV8e_wR0Ly6i0tg&s=19

At least the staffer had the sense to

NOT loving TALK TO COPS