Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Maersk leased the ship but a company in Singapore owns it. A company in BVI in turn owns that company.

No Maersk employees were actually on the ship. It’s operated by the Singapore company. (Synergy Marine Group)

Maersk has a limited liability clause in their contract (and so does everyone else) that basically removes any responsibility for something like this from Maersk.

Chaos option - they have no contract in place :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

JPrime posted:

The Football Funhouse Chat Thread of 2024: Thanks for the fart update, babe.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Leperflesh posted:

thank you for spelling tenterhooks correctly braks
:respek:

You're welcome! I am putting that associates degree to good use.

Also, y'all don't tell anybody about my farts. I have a bad bitch rep to maintain and if people knew about my butt trumpet, I'd have to do some serious damage control.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

You're welcome! I am putting that associates degree to good use.

Also, y'all don't tell anybody about my farts. I have a bad bitch rep to maintain and if people knew about my butt trumpet, I'd have to do some serious damage control.

Eh, it’s more like a kazoo.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Bad bitches have thunderous flatulence that they unleash to establish dominance in the office space. You look your supervisor right in the eye as you're speaking, unleash hot_chocolate_high_velocity.mp4, and continue as though nothing happened.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Silly Burrito posted:

Eh, it’s more like a kazoo.

yeah, compared to SB and his entire symphony.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

I mean, what are they supposed to do, have a huge bake sale or sell World's Finest Chocolate to raise funds?

Yeah I think they do kind of think this.

But fully 45-50% of voters either misunderstand the role of government or believe in its outright destruction so :shrug:

An old partner of mine was pretty conservative and her dad had a small business (CPA I think) and she got way pissed about Obama’s “you didn’t build that” thing and I was like dude your dad didn’t run utilities and build roads, stop being so butthurt.

But they’ll never get it because it’s all grievance and insecurity.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Fart once if you're okay.

Fart twice if you're under duress & we'll send authorities over.

No no, it goes

Farting at night, you'll be alright
Fart in the morning, sailors take warning

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Disability company has reached out to my wife’s doctor for a 4th set of questions after not talking to anyone about anything for two weeks.

They’ve now also decided to request her position description from her job (two months in???) and are reaching out to her therapist as they want her session notes.

Absolute insanity and holy Santa Claus poo poo I didn’t think it was possible to hate insurers more.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Go figure I joke about farting and somebody rips off something so vile on this MAX train I think they actually poo poo themselves. I meant I could hear it over the podcast I was listening to, and everyone nearby quickly beat feet to the back of the cabin.

Good thing I am a constant mask wearer now thanks to the pandemic that this is just a minor inconvenience.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of farts, I saw a thing about dead hangs helping release upper back/shoulder tension. I have a ton of it, so I thought I'd try it.

Thankfully I was at home because after about 30 seconds, I ripped a fart so loud and strong my dog turned and looked at me judgingly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Got the weirdest spam text just now

quote:

I apologize for any inconvenience. I am the recruitment manager at LinkedIn.

We are currently recruiting individuals interested in becoming full-time employees, seeking new job opportunities, or looking for part-time positions. Even during the training period, we provide compensation.

Job Description:
Benefits: Regardless of experience or education, we provide training and offer compensation during the training period.
Work Equipment: Mobile phone, computer.
Work Location: Anywhere.
Work Hours: 30-120 minutes, with the flexibility to choose working hours between 9:00 and 23:00 every day.
Language: English.
Nationality: U.S. citizenship or individuals residing in the U.S. for an extended period.
Daily Salary: $150-$300.
Monthly Full Attendance Salary: $6100.
Are you interested in this job? If you are willing to put in the effort, we provide training opportunities at any time and look forward to having you as our company's best partner.Please add manager Whatsapp.

It included a link I deleted so no one here would accidentally click it and be hacked or something.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Air Skwirl posted:

Got the weirdest spam text just now

It included a link I deleted so no one here would accidentally click it and be hacked or something.

it's a scam to get you to fill out an 'application' with social or other PII. the folks in the global south that do this are scum.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I like the premise that LinkedIn is so hard up for help in this conveniently unspecified role that “the recruiting manager” is desperately cold calling randoms with no relevant skills or experience begging for 30 minutes a day of your time. Just lol

But also yes gently caress scammers forever

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Scam texts and calls are so common and annoying that I would vote for Trump if he presented a realistic plan for ending them.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

No Butt Stuff posted:

Disability company has reached out to my wife’s doctor for a 4th set of questions after not talking to anyone about anything for two weeks.

They’ve now also decided to request her position description from her job (two months in???) and are reaching out to her therapist as they want her session notes.

Absolute insanity and holy Santa Claus poo poo I didn’t think it was possible to hate insurers more.

I had a girlfriend apply for disability years ago and it was the stupidest act of government incompetence I've ever seen. I know they have plenty of people trying to milk it but for someone who truly was suffering and needed help, that was a long 2 or 3 years of waiting and giving lawyers their cut.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SundayMoney posted:

I had a girlfriend apply for disability years ago and it was the stupidest act of government incompetence I've ever seen. I know they have plenty of people trying to milk it but for someone who truly was suffering and needed help, that was a long 2 or 3 years of waiting and giving lawyers their cut.

I think the number of people trying to milk it is vastly overstated to make it even worse for people who need it. Maybe there was one woman once who was collecting welfare while driving a Benz, but I don't think it was justification to destroy a giant social safety net that made life possible for hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.

This is obviously less of a problem than someone with a disability needing money so they can buy food, but I needed new underwear and went to target and the underwear was locked behind glass and I had to call over an employee to unlock the underwear. We live in a society where people feel the need to steal underwear and our solution to that is "lock up the underwear."

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

SundayMoney posted:

we threw out the baby with the bath water on that because it helps poor people. now, when it comes to giving businesses money via PPP loans... It shouldn't matter, we should all want a dignified existence for everyone in the country regardless of income level. it's what jtown would've wanted.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Docjowles posted:

I like the premise that LinkedIn is so hard up for help in this conveniently unspecified role that “the recruiting manager” is desperately cold calling randoms with no relevant skills or experience begging for 30 minutes a day of your time. Just lol

But also yes gently caress scammers forever

It felt like this is how Amazon recruiters acted during the pandemic.

https://twitter.com/jtannady/status/1573393501630648320

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I lol'd recently at an Amazon recruiter that tried to get me to apply to a PM position for a set of warehouses in Germany, Poland, and Czechia. Requires EU citizenship.

Sure Hamit, I mean as an American whose only German vocabulary is Rammstein lyrics and the only Czech I know is from casting couch videos, let me get on that

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Air Skwirl posted:

I think the number of people trying to milk it is vastly overstated to make it even worse for people who need it. Maybe there was one woman once who was collecting welfare while driving a Benz, but I don't think it was justification to destroy a giant social safety net that made life possible for hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.

This is obviously less of a problem than someone with a disability needing money so they can buy food, but I needed new underwear and went to target and the underwear was locked behind glass and I had to call over an employee to unlock the underwear. We live in a society where people feel the need to steal underwear and our solution to that is "lock up the underwear."

Yeah, I’m a lazy gubermint employee now, and it actually pisses me off that people just always chalk poo poo up to government incompetence. Which, there absolutely is, but to your point, a big part of it is intentional: a competent government sector makes the Capital/wealth classes’ lives harder across the board, so how do you prevent that? You underpay and understaff the public sector, such that someone has to often be willing to take a pay cut to move to the public sector, if they are actually qualified for the position and want to try and help/make a difference/whatever.

So how do you prevent “freeloaders” from “abusing” a social safety net (aka actually minimize how much you help people in general)? You underfund it to begin with, and also limit the salary and positions, so that you’re not getting great candidates to fill those roles, they’re getting paid poo poo to do the work (translates to apathy, which makes people upset and earns the “lazy government” title), and they’re overworked (which delays how long someone gets benefits, until they hopefully give up). This then brews contempt for government, and the cycle repeats.

And of of the guys I work with, was recently at some public outreach meetings about some improvements at some of the city’s facilities, and there were questions from the (old, white, boomer) local residents about what the city is doing with these improvements to eliminate homelessness, and when the city answered how it was trying to help them to line up places to stay, find work, provide food, etc., one of the residents apparently talked about how he worked at a local store and saw someone buy chips and a soda with their food stamps, and how that’s an example of the waste in the system. Chips and a drink! Heavy forbid someone eat something when hungry and thirsty.

And right now, the team I’m on can’t even fill two positions, because our starting salary offers are below what even minimally experienced candidates are expecting, but HR won’t approve offering more because in reality, they’re trying to delay filling positions due to pending revenue losses because Arizona’s state government gutted rental taxes and eliminated huge funding sources for the cities. I sit in water resource planning meetings, because it’s like hitting my head against a brick wall because all management cares about is “growth growth growth” and development, because everyone is talking about trying to maximize growth and incoming revenue before the state falls off a cliff (into a dry Grand Canyon), and before they all retire.

I took a decent pay cut when I went to the public sector for my mental health/well being, but I could make at least 60% more if I went back to the private sector, and might not even have anywhere near the current workload I do, but I’d be back to always working nights, working on weekends, and always living in fear of a recession causing work to dry up. Which is what got me on anxiety/depression meds and counseling in the first place… :sad:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

dirty shrimp money posted:

I lol'd recently at an Amazon recruiter that tried to get me to apply to a PM position for a set of warehouses in Germany, Poland, and Czechia. Requires EU citizenship.

Sure Hamit, I mean as an American whose only German vocabulary is Rammstein lyrics and the only Czech I know is from casting couch videos, let me get on that

A long time ago I was interviewing with Google for a position on a team that spanned several continents. Didn't end up getting the job but I sure as hell was gonna try to get transferred to the group in the Zurich office if it worked out. Paid relocation to the Alps, yes please

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I'm government, but largely because wages for private where I'm at are atrocious.

We have a massive shortage of young attorneys now on Guam, because the combination of middling government salaries plus absolute poo poo wages/hours for private associates meant that all the young talent left for the west coast.

Our bar association just had a meeting where they overwhelmingly voted to exempt older attorneys from having to take on indigent defense appointments, and then overwhelmingly voted to mandate government attorneys to take on indigent defense appointments (despite the obvious problems with conflicts, and the laws against it, but whatever), because the pool has shrunk drastically due to all the partners at firms dragon-hoarding their profits. 65% of the people at the meeting will be dead/retired in 10 years.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Air Skwirl posted:

The one thing i can believe is how many people are actually trying to scam the system. I was a admin director at a branch level of a county ngo non profit community center who ran financial aid for it's members and we constantly had people trying to game the system. And while it wasn't common, I can remember several instances of people rolling up in a Lexus wearing Prada wanting to get a discount on their membership for no reason other than they didn't want to pay.

So while I agree that isn't enough justification to destroy such programs, I can't imagine how much it's attempted at a national level given how much I saw at a county level. It was hard not to get a dead eyed cynicism after looking at another application of somebody lying their rear end off wanting to get the same rate as a single mother of three with a newborn who just got laid off but still wants her kids to know how to swim.

TLDR people suck and ruin things built for people who genuinely need it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Joe Lieberman died, and I can't think of anyone since Reagan who had such a negative impact on how things are now due solely to his decision making so hooray and drink like Kissinger died again, because this time it was due to a fall and ahead of schedule.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

swickles posted:

Joe Lieberman died, and I can't think of anyone since Reagan who had such a negative impact on how things are now due solely to his decision making so hooray and drink like Kissinger died again, because this time it was due to a fall and ahead of schedule.

Good.

Joe is gonna be forced to play the SNES version of Mortal Kombat for all eternity in hell.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Vice presidential nominees barely swing voters towards a candidate , but a bad one definitely can work against you.

Lieberman did Gore no favors.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Rest in Piss, Lieberman

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Its Rinaldo posted:

The one thing i can believe is how many people are actually trying to scam the system. I was a admin director at a branch level of a county ngo non profit community center who ran financial aid for it's members and we constantly had people trying to game the system. And while it wasn't common, I can remember several instances of people rolling up in a Lexus wearing Prada wanting to get a discount on their membership for no reason other than they didn't want to pay.

So while I agree that isn't enough justification to destroy such programs, I can't imagine how much it's attempted at a national level given how much I saw at a county level. It was hard not to get a dead eyed cynicism after looking at another application of somebody lying their rear end off wanting to get the same rate as a single mother of three with a newborn who just got laid off but still wants her kids to know how to swim.

I stopped posting there regularly so I forget the details (cool story bro) but there was an IT goon in SH/SC who worked for the Florida social security office. He had crazy stories from his coworkers of the scams people would pull. It sucks all around. I would much rather see the government optimize for helping people first and stopping scams as time allows. But there’s also plenty of politicians who would love to kill any and all social safety nets. So I get not wanting to give those ghouls ammo in the form of “$agency paid $5 million of YOUR TAX DOLLARS to lazy scamming $slurs last year!!!!!” Sure this amounts to like 25 cents per person but by god we gotta end free school lunches over this atrocity

LeeMajors posted:

Rest in Piss, Lieberman

:yeah:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

Vice presidential nominees barely swing voters towards a candidate , but a bad one definitely can work against you.

Lieberman did Gore no favors.

i voted for nader in 2000 because of lieberman

granted, it was in a very safe blue state

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Going to the Padres home opener tomorrow and Joe Lieberman is dead. Good day all around.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I approve of the new title :D

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

swickles posted:

Wow I actually get busy and do a ton of work and this happens.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

swickles posted:

I can think of someone. Two someones actually. Eight, come to think of it. No, eleven.

Wait, I forgot one. I can think of a solid dozen. Thirteen if Rupert Murdoch qualifies.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 28, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can think of someone. Two someones actually. Eight, come to think of it. No, eleven.

Wait, I forgot one. I can think of a solid dozen. Thirteen if Rupert Murdoch qualifies.

I’m trying to think of what level of party I want to throw when Trump finally chokes on a hamberder. Thinking Adrian Peterson birthday party tier

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I would question how I’ve spent my limited waking hours of life if I realized I’d actually committed nonzero mental bandwidth to being mad about someone as inconsequential as Joe Lieberman.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

General Dog posted:

I would question how I’ve spent my limited waking hours of life if I realized I’d actually committed nonzero mental bandwidth to being mad about someone as inconsequential as Joe Lieberman.

It's understandable that you would consider him inconsequential.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Its Rinaldo posted:

I understand that it’s frustrating but I’d rather pay out 500 scammers to make sure every person who needs assistance can get it.

The government clearly doesn’t give a poo poo about grift at scale (like defense contracts or PPP loans) so I can’t be bothered to give a poo poo about some assorted lower class folks skimming literal peanuts from the till.

Make billionaires pay their goddamned share, then we can spend some time discussing it. Otherwise it’s just fluff to justify gutting programs and means testing everything to pieces.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Scam texts and calls are so common and annoying that I would vote for Trump if he presented a realistic plan for ending them.

I have been getting non-stop texts for Dem fUnDrAiSiNg for like a solid year now. Not a single conservative or Trump text or spam call. Dems gettin reeaallll close to brute force annoying me out of my vote lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The only political texts I’ve gotten this season have been Nikki Haley for some reason :iiam: Several a day til she dropped out. I have no idea what about my time on earth got me on that list